• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

is the first day as daunting as it looks?

I am certain you are tired of reading responses, and may not even read this. I totally disagree with the general opinion that the first day is the most difficult. I have done both ways, Valcarlos and stopping at Orrison. I did not “train” one day and all three times my pack weighed over 30 pounds. And I was 70 when I walked my first Camino. In my less than humble opinion far too many people overthink the first day. God willing, I will do my 4th CF starting next May at the reasonably advanced age of 75. Take it slow, don’t take unnecessary risks. And relax. You can do it. If I could, and can, you can.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @min200 - I found the descent to Roncesvalles to be harder than the ascent. My knees were killing me by the time I got down. The ascent itself wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. What helped me is that I was fogged in and could only see about 10 metres in either direction, so I was forced to break it down into 10 metre bite-sized portions. Much easier to swallow. You can read about it at https://tinyurl.com/y3lfkytx if you'd like. Happy planning :)

I’ve done it 3 times and it has been tough each time but I love it!!

I would recommend NOT taking the steep route into Roncesvalles - I slipped on my second time, as it was muddy, and tore my rotator cuff (which needed surgery by the time I got home a month later).
Yikes! But you're not the only person I've heard of who has been severely injured on that path.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's always the story of a 2-pack a day smoker who lived into their ninety's!

Just because one person survived the the camino without training and an overweight pack does not make it a general rule. Maybe it was pure luck.

I'd rather not gamble with my health.

-Paul

You will find it below. My video was included as part of a series of other videos, filmed by by John Sikora, showing the entire Camino Frances as it looks while walking. Each video segment is 'hyperlapsed' so it lasts only 20 to 30 minutes to watch, instead of 5 to 8 hours.

Thanks Davebugg, great video. It took away some mystery, which is very helpful.

Good Afternoon everyone
1f642.png
:) As I sit here planning my next Camino trip I am wondering what your experiences were of the first day out of SJPDP.
How long did this, what looks like a rather hellish uphill kind of day, take each of you to complete? My plan is to go from SJPDP to Roncesvalles so any top tips would be appreciated
1f642.png
:)
I have always enjoyed stopping over the night at Orrison, worth while the break.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It can be. Do train. On hills. Especially if you're over 50. My wife's left knee swelled to the size of a watermelon on that hill and we had to halt our Camino before we really got started. Had to take a taxi to get her to other transport. Required almost three months of therapy to get her knee back to normal. During that time her ability to walk was severely limited. She was seduced by those on this forum who say you can walk yourself into condition, and that no special conditioning is required for the Camino. By the way, medical care in Spain is NOT free. Cost us a 260. US fee before we could be seen by a doctor in Barcelona.

Last edited:
Well, just catching up, are you on the Camino or are you still planning? Do tell 🙂
Morning and sorry for the delay in replying. Work has had me all over the country of late! My initial plan was to run off by myself to do the Camino after Wifey's disasters this year But after seeing the increasing look of wanting to complete it in her eyes we have come up with another plan. We will be training (read that as she really has to!) the rest of this year and over the Winter so we will do the first couple of weeks of the Camino Frances at the start of May 2020 together :)
There are contingency plans being put into place incase she cannot cope with any stages or if she gets poorly again. I will be completing the first fortnight unless of course I get poorly or injured, then the contingencies become mine so she can finish :)

I am certain you are tired of reading responses, and may not even read this. I totally disagree with the general opinion that the first day is the most difficult. I have done both ways, Valcarlos and stopping at Orrison. I did not “train” one day and all three times my pack weighed over 30 pounds. And I was 70 when I walked my first Camino. In my less than humble opinion far too many people overthink the first day. God willing, I will do my 4th CF starting next May at the reasonably advanced age of 75. Take it slow, don’t take unnecessary risks. And relax. You can do it. If I could, and can, you can.
Oh no I love the responses :) I just sometimes have very limited time to actually sit back and read them due to work!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked from SJPdP to Roncesvalle twice now. It is done by a large number of pilgrims each day, and the majority are not iron-legged, super fit backpackers. Below is a writing I have posted before. Hopefully it will provide a bit of help and encouragement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With some level of cardio fitness, making it up a long uphill grade is a matter of pace, maintaining calorie intake, hydration, and utilizing meaningful breaks.

1. As you head uphill, adjust your pace to a comfortable level which you are able to maintain without needing to frequently stop and start. Frequent stops and starts adds to exhaustion. It doesn't matter if your pace is 4 miles per hour or 0.5 miles per hour. What matters is continuously walking between planned breaks.

Set a planned interval for a short and deliberate break -- say every 20 minutes, for five minutes. Set your pace so that you can walk until that break time.

Setting your pace is a dynamic process, you need to adjust it as circumstances dictate. Please set your pace based on what you need, not on how you feel.

How do you maintain a pace at a set speed? My trick is to periodically check myself by silently hum a tune... the same tune.... which is easy to sync to each step I take. Don't laugh, but I use 'Hark The Herald Angles Sing'. It is NOT the speed of the tune that determines my pace, but my pace will determine the speed of the tune. Once that pace is determined, then you can use the speed of the tune to check yourself.

Some folks may view this as too formulaic or too rigid, but that is not the case. It is simply a self-determined tool to assist in understanding your body's rhythm while walking. The more familiar you become with your bodies needs while hiking -- which happens as your experience grows -- the less need there is for such help.

As the grade uphill gets steeper and I need to slow down a bit, I don't necessarily slow how fast I take a step, I adjust the length of each step. In other words, in keeping time with my song, I might go from, say, 10 inches between one footstep to the next, to only 5 inches between steps. That will automatically slow how fast I am moving, and still keep me in step with my song.

Inexperienced folks will start out fast and try to maintain that pace because they are fresh, full of energy, and not at all tired. Yet. They want to keep up with those in better shape. They are in a race for beds. They are worried about being caught in the rain. Whatever.

They will start to crump within a fairly short distance up the hill; and the crumping will become cumulative with each step, even if they slow down later, because they have burned through their energy producing stores with that initial fast pace. They not only will crump, but they are now going to stay in a state of depleted energy which only a very prolonged break can solve.

So, start slower than you feel is normal for you. Let people pass you by, and see how that pace feels as you continue uphill. If you start feeling too out of breath, slow down. If your leg muscles start feeling too fatigued, slow down.

Also, be aware to observe and follow the above strategy AFTER a break, too. You will feel refreshed and you will be tempted to start out faster than you should. RESIST. :)

2. At every short break time, eat something. Your stomach and GI tract can only process food at a specific rate of time, so you want to match your intake of food to that optimum time frame. 100 calorie increments of food every 25 to 30 minutes is a good time frame. A quarter of a Snicker bar and a bite of cheese, or a handful of trail mix, or a bit of bocadillo,or some Peanut M&Ms, or some energy gel with some nuts, etc.

The idea is to replenish your energy producing stores that your muscles will need in the next 25 to 30 minutes. In addition to hydrating during the break, you also need to be sipping and drinking water as you are walking.You need to stay hydrated without overdoing water consumption.

3. If it starts to become very difficult to walk 20 minutes without stopping in between, then lengthen your break from 5 minutes to 8 minutes, or 10 minutes. Give your calorie intake a longer period to do its job, and for you to re-oxygenate and fuel your muscle cells. If you find that it fairly easy to walk 20 minutes before stopping, then add 5 more minutes to your walk time between breaks. Still fairly easy? Then keep adding 5 minutes to the interval before stopping. However, I would advise not going longer than 1 hour without taking a break. I usually break every 55 minutes or so.

4. It is understandable if you have some jitters about a physically demanding and prolonged walk up into the mountains or hills. Or even on less aggressive elevations.

The nagging of "CAN I DO THIS?" is Doubt's piercing and persistent blathering which forces one's mind and gut to focus on perceived inadequacies. Doubt doesn't wait for evidence of one's ability to perform, or to look at what actually will occur during your hike. Nope, all Doubt is concerned with, is making you feel inadequate and insecure.

So as you prepare for your Camino, and those physical challenges that are part of it, you can either let Doubt have its fun with you, or you can push Doubt to the background and tell it to, "Shut up; you just wait and see what I can do!!!".

I go through at least a portion of the above every time I go on a multi-day backpacking trek. I went through that for my Camino two years ago, and before last year's Camino. I am hearing those voices again this year as I am planning on a Camino this Fall.

I just simply respond to the question of 'can I do this' with the answer that "I am as prepared as I can be, I will be flexible to things happening around me, and regardless of what happens life will continue on".

After all, I am not going into combat, or heading into a burning building; I am just going for a walk. 😁

A very sensible approach @davebugg .
The 'cadence' is all important, just shorten the pace but maintain the cadence.

I remember meeting you just after Zubiri in 2015 @Buz Radican ! You were easily 'out walking' me :oops: (but then most people do)
The hardest day? For me it's the downhill from Cruz de Fero .......... without any doubt.
Uphills I'll take any day.........
Buen Camino for the next one!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back