• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Frances much busier this year?

LindaH

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to SdC May/June (2016)
As a Camino newbie with just a very few weeks left until we leave, I am struggling with over-planning anxiety . Will there really be enough beds for everyone this special year - specifically from 3 May to 6 June when we are walking? Should we bring gear for sleeping outside? And do I need my beanie, gloves and warm jacket at this time (bearing in mind we are coming from Australia, where we are at the end of a long hot summer and now in Autumn the temp was 29 C this week, so we will feel the cold!).

We intend carrying our packs and walking from SJPDP to Santiago, so don't want to carry any more than necessary, but don't want to be uncomfortably cold. I am planning on packing one pair of long pants, with one pair running leggings and one pair waterproof pants for layering as necessary, with one long sleeve T shirt, lightweight fleece and lightweight puffer jacket plus a sea to summit ultra sil poncho for wet days. I also plan on taking two pairs of shorts and two short sleeve shirts and sun hat for warm days. Is this overkill? Is there anything I definitely won't use? Would love to hear from experienced pilgrims about walking May/June. Many thanks for your help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is always the same. One never quite knows what the weather will be like when you are there. What is sure is that there are numerous retailers along the way who will be able to supply anything you find you need.
It would probably be a good idea to post your complete packing list and ask for advice.
Regards
Gerard

As a Camino newbie with just a very few weeks left until we leave, I am struggling with over-planning anxiety . Will there really be enough beds for everyone this special year - specifically from 3 May to 6 June when we are walking? Should we bring gear for sleeping outside? And do I need my beanie, gloves and warm jacket at this time (bearing in mind we are coming from Australia, where we are at the end of a long hot summer and now in Autumn the temp was 29 C this week, so we will feel the cold!).

We intend carrying our packs and walking from SJPDP to Santiago, so don't want to carry any more than necessary, but don't want to be uncomfortably cold. I am planning on packing one pair of long pants, with one pair running leggings and one pair waterproof pants for layering as necessary, with one long sleeve T shirt, lightweight fleece and lightweight puffer jacket plus a sea to summit ultra sil poncho for wet days. I also plan on taking two pairs of shorts and two short sleeve shirts and sun hat for warm days. Is this overkill? Is there anything I definitely won't use? Would love to hear from experienced pilgrims about walking May/June. Many thanks for your help.
I leave in a few days for my first Camino, so I understand that anxiety! But I find that the closer I get to leaving, the more relaxed I am. I've done everything I had time to do, planned as best I can, and now it's time to let it go.

On your clothing list, it does seem like too much. And I know others have said that there's really no option for sleeping outside. For example, take either the fleece or the puffer jacket and fewer pants/shorts options. Good luck sorting it all out, and then let it go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am planning on packing one pair of long pants, with one pair running leggings and one pair waterproof pants for layering as necessary, with one long sleeve T shirt, lightweight fleece and lightweight puffer jacket plus a sea to summit ultra sil poncho for wet days. I also plan on taking two pairs of shorts and two short sleeve shirts and sun hat for warm days. Is this overkill?
Yes, it is overkill! Make choices now. Put things you will use in one pile. Put things you might use in another. Leave that second pile at home.

Consider convertible pants. Buy two identical pair, but leave the leg portion of one at home. It is not that cold when you plan to walk. On the trail you will keep warm almost regardless of the weather. At night, you can layer a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and jacket and be warm in the coldest of conditions (which you are very unlikely to encounter). If your poncho is an over-the-head type, I suggest you reconsider it. Get the kind that zips down the front and also is a pack cover (Altus, Packa, Ferrino, etc.) It can drape over your pack as a cover in light rain or in the most likely type of rain you will encounter, stop and go. I take only a second pair of socks, underpants, and t-shirt. If you want to take a short sleeve shirt, substitute it for a t-shirt. A hat is nearly indispensable, as are sunglasses and sunscreen. Leave the concept of clothing choices at home -- no change of clothes simply to change color; no style; no single-use item like a vest.

Buen camino! Keep it light. :)

We walked last year May/june. I had 1 convertible pair of pants , 1 legging and 1 pair of biker shorts (which I ended up wearing 90% of the time , I just washed it every night and it was dry the next morning) . I didn't bring rain pants. I had 1 fleece, 1 long sleeve t shirt and 2 short sleeve t's...2 pair of socks and 3 pair of underwear. For possible cold/rain I had a lightweight rain jacket. This was plenty. I figured if I really needed more I would buy something along the way...it turned out it was very HOT last year and not 1 day of rain (this is obviously different every year) , so I donated the long sleeved t and ended up buying 1 more short sleeved T. And YES a hat and sunglasses .

Yes, it is overkill! Make choices now. Put things you will use in one pile. Put things you might use in another. Leave that second pile at home.

Consider convertible pants. Buy two identical pair, but leave the leg portion of one at home. It is not that cold when you plan to walk. On the trail you will keep warm almost regardless of the weather. At night, you can layer a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and jacket and be warm in the coldest of conditions (which you are very unlikely to encounter). If your poncho is an over-the-head type, I suggest you reconsider it. Get the kind that zips down the front and also is a pack cover (Altus, Packa, Ferrino, etc.) It can drape over your pack as a cover in light rain or in the most likely type of rain you will encounter, stop and go. I take only a second pair of socks, underpants, and t-shirt. If you want to take a short sleeve shirt, substitute it for a t-shirt. A hat is nearly indispensable, as are sunglasses and sunscreen. Leave the concept of clothing choices at home -- no change of clothes simply to change color; no style; no single-use item like a vest.

Buen camino! Keep it light. :)

Your advice is good, and I just want to add on a little bit.

The Altus-type ponchos will also double as a blanket in case of cold at night. That irritating sweat lodge during the day can really heat you up conveniently at night!.

A second pair of undies, bra, t shirt---is all that is needed. I only packed three pair of socks as I like to change my socks during the day sometimes.

One bright silk scarf can liven up a boring pilgrim wardrobe for church or restaurant, but can also work as a head cover, a wet cloth for a hot day, or cover for the eyes at night, when others have lights on.

Carry men's handkerchiefs for clean-up during the day (keep one tied to a walking stick so it can dry, for potty breaks). Do not litter the trail with toilet tissues, and don't add weight to your pack with baby wipes for your bottom. Use moistened TP at rest stops if you need to wash up. Frank, but right to the point here.

Don't buy plastic water bottles and add to the problem. Take one with you, and just refill at fountains and/or at albergues.

If you can't find a bed, go to a pension and spring a bit more for a bed. If you get exhausted from noisemakers (party people at albergues), get a pension (hotel) and rest up, then get back at it with a good attitude.

You will have a wonderful time. I found that 8 kilos--including water--was all I needed. Pack lightly, as Falcon suggests.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year I walked the Camino Frances from the last week of April to first week of June. I had a fleece, a thin puff jacket, rain pants and jacket, two pairs of convertible pants and long underwear and I needed it all. I wore gloves many mornings for about the first hour on the trail. I had a headband to keep my ears warm. And I was coming from Toronto Canada, training through one the coldest Februarys on record, often walking in -10 to -20 degrees. I used the puff jacket for the first week and then didn't need it again until much later in the walk, and I was glad I had kept it. Eating dinner outside was sometimes chilly.

In 2014 I started my Camino in early June and it wasn't cold at all. Wasn't cold the whole month. Pullover fleece in the evening weather at the most.

On May 13 last year I stopped at La Fabrica in Tardajos at 11:00 am because it was so hot and I didn't want to go up on the Meseta during a heat wave. It was probably in the 70's. The next day was going to be cooler. I am so glad I waited for the cool air. It was a wonderful walk after that - cold in the mornings but into the 70's by the time the clothes needed to dry. People who were about 4 days ahead of me said they were getting up at 4:00 am to beat the heat. They had such a hot walk across Spain. I waited for the cold bubble, and I was lucky that it stayed with me for a couple of weeks. I came from Toronto Canada and had trained in -20 C weather so I enjoyed walking in the cold mornings. (Sorry, as you can see Canadians use Celsius and Fahrenheit even in one message!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You get all kinds of weather in early May, you never know, but pack shirts to layer and two shorts. I carry wool leggings of old bicycle clothes that did the trick when I needed extra leg warmth. Best thing I carry was compression long sleeve shirts.(2) Fit well, light weight and can wear when hot sunny days to block the sun. Bring a jacket that can block wind, and with the shirts,, you will be fine. Have a hat, a skull kind that can cover your ears on a windy day. Its light weight IMG_20151012_063226249.jpgIMG_20151012_063226249.jpg like weight gloves or socks for your hands, those on me are from the airline comp bag are socks. This Camino I carry 8kilos and lost over 22 kilos when I reached SantiagoIMG_20151016_061127378_HDR.jpg

I am in SJPDP now. The weather is wet. Snow in Roncesvales due. Looking like fantastic weather for next week. It is not cold but fresh. Rain hail snow or shine, I walk out this morning. I hope I catch up to funny Derek from England. And if I have too much gear I will donate it along the way.
Buen camino!

I am in SJPDP now. The weather is wet. Snow in Roncesvales due. Looking like fantastic weather for next week. It is not cold but fresh. Rain hail snow or shine, I walk out this morning. I hope I catch up to funny Derek from England. And if I have too much gear I will donate it along the way.
Buen camino!
Buen Camino and be safe!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Linda,

Please do not worry about the bed situation. There is always a place to sleep indoors. The worst case scenario is that all the standard places to sleep in a town are full, and the local church or the school gymnasium is opened for overflow pilgrims.

Other alternatives exist like casa rurals which are the Spanish version of bed and breakfast places. Also, many hotels are converting rooms into mini-albergues where a queen bed is removed and two bunk-beds are inserted.

Furthermore, the Camino parallels a major highway, then a major freeway. It's never more than few miles away. If beds are full and you don't want to sleep on the floor of a church built in 1207, then hop in a taxi and go over to the interstate where the Spanish equivalent of a Motel 6 or Super 8 awaits you.

Some of the doom and gloom stories you hear are from people that have absolutely no concept of spontaneity or adventure. I've seen pilgrims melt down in the middle of the road when the albergue they had their heart set on staying in is full. Never mind that there is a cheap motel across the street. Or that the bartender at the café on the corner rents out rooms above the bar.

The Spanish have been hosting pilgrims for 1200 years. They are great at it. They are prepared for you. They want you to come and have a great time because they want you to come back. Or at the very least, convince your friends and family to walk the Camino.

Believe me, everything will work out. The Camino does provide you with what you need. Not necessarily what you want, but what you need.

Last edited:
I didn't want to go up on the Meseta during a heat wave. It was probably in the 70's. The next day was going to be cooler. I am so glad I waited for the cool air. It was a wonderful walk after that - cold in the mornings but into the 70's by the time the clothes needed to dry. People who were about 4 days ahead of me said they were getting up at 4:00 am to beat the heat
Ha ha funny ......living in Florida, when the temps are in the 70's we are tempted to call that a cold front instead of a heatwave :) I LOVED walking last June with weather in the mid 80's there it was "dry heat" instead of the humid heat we have here in FL. I trained in very humid 90's F and you trained in -20 C! OMG bbbbrrrrr. However this shows again how it's hard to advise people what the right clothing is to bring in a certain month/temperature. 70's are hot for you and cool for me ! Some light layer options will do the trick I think.
And if I have too much gear I will donate it along the way.
Buen camino!
That's what I did....when it turned out to be a warm and dry Camino, I donated a long sleeved shirt.
I carry 8kilos and lost over 22 kilos
I carried 8 kilos and lost only 1 pound .... I think we enjoyed too much Vino and Pintxos:)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much everyone ! Panic attack over! Planning to sleep indoors, so not taking any alternative shelter, just lightweight sleeping bag.

I will pack gloves and beanie, but no puffer jacket. StoS ultra sill poncho is super light so staying in but rain pants out. So now I have 1 long pants, 1 running tights and 2 pairs shorts. This combo weighs less than 2 pairs zip off pants which are staying home. For tops I have 1 long and 2 short sleeve T, and a lightweight fleece. With 3 sets underwear and socks, minimal toiletries, sarong/towel and iPhone with electronic guide, plus the weight of my pack (1.4 kg) hiking sandals and thongs it all weighs 6.7 kilos. I will be wearing one set of this clothing each day but adding water to my pack, so should be carrying no more than 7 kg. OK for my 160 cm 55 kg frame I hope, training with it now. Thanks for reminding me I can buy anything else I need! Hope to meet some of you along the way.

Thanks so much everyone ! Panic attack over! Planning to sleep indoors, so not taking any alternative shelter, just lightweight sleeping bag.

I will pack gloves and beanie, but no puffer jacket. StoS ultra sill poncho is super light so staying in but rain pants out. So now I have 1 long pants, 1 running tights and 2 pairs shorts. This combo weighs less than 2 pairs zip off pants which are staying home. For tops I have 1 long and 2 short sleeve T, and a lightweight fleece. With 3 sets underwear and socks, minimal toiletries, sarong/towel and iPhone with electronic guide, plus the weight of my pack (1.4 kg) hiking sandals and thongs it all weighs 6.7 kilos. I will be wearing one set of this clothing each day but adding water to my pack, so should be carrying no more than 7 kg. OK for my 160 cm 55 kg frame I hope, training with it now. Thanks for reminding me I can buy anything else I need! Hope to meet some of you along the way.
I started walking from SJPP last April 13 with a 15-lb pack containing two sets of outerwear, three sets of underwear, and three pairs of socks (wanted a luxury experience--heh, heh). My jacket and sun hat I used part of nearly every day, my wool cap, scarf, and light mittens I used for the first time at the Cruz de Ferro. My red bandana and quick-dry towel were invaluable. One of the best parts of the camino experience for me was taking no thought over what I would wear and having my only beauty regimen be the hand cream I dabbed on my nose each night to keep it from peeling. There was a heat wave after Astorga--I just stopped earlier every day. When I got to Santiago, I still had the whole roll of toilet paper I had packed. What I am trying to say is that lighter is better, and the few belongings you take along become valuable because you depend on them so much. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Linda looking forward to possibly meeting you and your party. I am starting in SJPDP on the 3rd so will possibly meet you then.... I managed to book a room in St Jean fairly easily ....although I haven't booked in for a meal in Roncesvalles yet ... Fr Alasdair

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Linda looking forward to possibly meeting you and your party. I am starting in SJPDP on the 3rd so will possibly meet you then.... I managed to book a room in St Jean fairly easily ....although I haven't booked in for a meal in Roncesvalles yet ... Fr Alasdair

Hi Alasdair

I have already tried to post a reply to you but think I've put it in the wrong place, possibly your profile, oops! Sorry! Yes, our paths may well cross as we have one night booked in SJPDP on 2 May. As we fly in from Australia that day, we may start with a shorter walk on 3 May to Valcarlos, but will possibly continue to Ronscevalles if we feel up to it!

Buen Camino, Linda

can you post how accomodation was doing as I hear things are busy .. and I will know whether to walk on to quieter stopping points or will book ahead ... although it is a shame as that takes the spontaneity out of the trip

There were about 1,000 more Compostelas in the first four months of 2016 than in the last Holy Year in 2010. The numbers are far below the albergue capacity, but if the increase continues for the year, the peak months may present a problem. In 2010 there were a lot of temporary albergues opened, which I do not think will happen this year.;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all
9 days into the Camino I can tell you it is busy with some places full. Two days ago we walked through Los Arcos - no beds, on another 6 km ( in thunder storm) to Sansol, also full and finally to Torres Del Rio where we found beds. Larrosoana also full the night we stayed and we got two of the last six beds approx 4 pm. We are now booking ahead a couple of days. Not as spontaneous as we'd prefer, but having a great time despite sore feet and have nothing but praise for everywhere we have stayed so far:). Pilgrim Office in SJPDP told us to book ahead and they were right.

My wife an I are experiencing similar circumstances. We are now booking at least the next day, and often finding that difficult. As slow walkers we otherwise arrive after the completo signs are out. Even then, we are now facing another really short day (less than 10km) to confirm spaces.

My wife an I are experiencing similar circumstances. We are now booking at least the next day, and often finding that difficult. As slow walkers we otherwise arrive after the completo signs are out. Even then, we are now facing another really short day (less than 10km) to confirm spaces.
I have forgotten If you are walking the CF or if you are doing a bit different route with your wife. Has the bed bugs started yet or has the cooler than normal year kept them down? Also is it a bit more difficult finding space for two vs walking alone? I ask because the next time I return will be with my wife. So I am looking at the Madrid, Portuguese & Primitivo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have forgotten If you are walking the CF or if you are doing a bit different route with your wife. Has the bed bugs started yet or has the cooler than normal year kept them down? Also is it a bit more difficult finding space for two vs walking alone? I ask because the next time I return will be with my wife. So I am looking at the Madrid, Portuguese & Primitivo.
I have no idea whether there are bed bugs, but we haven't been troubled by them so far.

I don't think the issue is that we are a couple. Places are full fairly early compared to my previous caminos, when I walked in Apr. Solo walkers are also finding it difficult when they arrive late.

No bedbugs anywhere we have stayed and everywhere spotlessly clean including toilets in bars/cafes. (Need own toilet paper or tissues ;)). Delighted with the standards everywhere so far including albergues in ancient stone buildings that must be more difficult to maintain.

Don't buy plastic water bottles and add to the problem. Take one with you, and just refill at fountains and/or at albergues.
Very good advice. Spain does not want your empty plastic water bottles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Spanish have been hosting pilgrims for 1200 years. They are great at it. They are prepared for you. They want you to come and have a great time because they want you to come back. Or at the very least, convince your friends and family to walk the Camino.

Believe me, everything will work out. The Camino does provide you with what you need. Not necessarily what you want, but what you need.
So true. Just go and enjoy your Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back