• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Laredo - Santoña ferry in operation yet?

tjz

Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2016, 2018, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025
We'll be on the Norte from Laredo to Guemas on March 20. I was looking at this website which indicates it might be opening on March 25, 2023, but it isn't clear if that is the only ferry. Does anyone have up to date info?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We'll be on the Norte from Laredo to Guemas on March 20. I was looking at this website which indicates it might be opening on March 25, 2023, but it isn't clear if that is the only ferry. Does anyone have up to date info?

I believe it is the only ferry. Gronze, in its "Al Loro" section on this stage gives this info and notes winter closing.

Los tickets de la barca a Santoña se compran una vez a bordo, y el viaje cuesta 2,00€ por persona, más 1,50€ por bicicleta (precios 2020); su frecuencia es de 10-15 minutos, y el horario suele ser de las 9:00 a las 19:00 o 20:00, dependiendo de la época y del día de la semana. En los meses de invierno no hay servicio. Información: +34 942 60 59 03.

Their website shows the loop around that you will have to take. I was surprised to see, by my calculations anyway, that it's only about 5 km longer. Not that 5 km is trivial at the end of the day, of course. There is an option to stop before Güemes in San Miguel de Merelo, too. In case you haven't seen the Groonze map, it's here.

About 18 to where the routes merge from Laredo using the ferry.
About 23 to where the routes merge from Laredo using the land route.

I believe it is the only ferry. Gronze, in its "Al Loro" section on this stage gives this info and notes winter closing.

Los tickets de la barca a Santoña se compran una vez a bordo, y el viaje cuesta 2,00€ por persona, más 1,50€ por bicicleta (precios 2020); su frecuencia es de 10-15 minutos, y el horario suele ser de las 9:00 a las 19:00 o 20:00, dependiendo de la época y del día de la semana. En los meses de invierno no hay servicio. Información: +34 942 60 59 03.

Their website shows the loop around that you will have to take. I was surprised to see, by my calculations anyway, that it's only about 5 km longer. Not that 5 km is trivial at the end of the day, of course. There is an option to stop before Güemes in San Miguel de Merelo, too. In case you haven't seen the Groonze map, it's here.

About 18 to where the routes merge from Laredo using the ferry.
About 23 to where the routes merge from Laredo using the land route.

Thank you, this matches what I've found so far. :( Right now I'm debating taking the inland route or a bus / taxi to Santoña to continue with our original plan. The extra mileage on the inland route probably puts it out of our range for Guemas the next day, though I do see an albergue in Colindres that would at least shave off 4km or so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, this matches what I've found so far. :( Right now I'm debating taking the inland route or a bus / taxi to Santoña to continue with our original plan. The extra mileage on the inland route probably puts it out of our range for Guemas the next day, though I do see an albergue in Colindres that would at least shave off 4km or so.
Santona is lovely and arriving by that ferry is fun. Such a shame it's not running when you are needing it.

I heard back from the operator last night and it is confirmed the boat is not running yet. It looks like there are buses every hour or so on Monday starting at 7:30am and a couple on Sunday evening, so we'll probably hop one of those. Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated!

That ferry is such a distinct Camino memory. It was worth asking about. ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am heading through Laredo mid Oct 23 and emailed the ferry outfit to check the ferry runs then. They replied that it runs every day of the year - I will test that assertion them and report back.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.