• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the North route well signed

tony downey

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I am planning the portuguese route in the next few weeks, but am still a little undecided as it seems there is a lot of road walking and industrial estates.

I walked the french way and was impressed by the signs and found this was a huge plus for me, I could enjoy the walk without the stress of maps etc, it was as simple as follow the yellow arrows.

I posted in the portugal forum and this is apparently well signed so has jumped to the top of my list as I say, it was so much easier not having to worry. I have been reading about the north route and this does seem a lot nicer route to take, but is it well signed, is it just follow the arrows.

Any help or advice is appreciated

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Norte is very well signed, it is just a matter of following the yellow arrows.

Having walked both the Norte and the Portuguese (from Porto), it is hard to choose between the two.
The number of road walking is about the same, I guess.

Yes the Norte is well marked. I took a wrong tern twice though. Signs may be there but you have to be attentive. I got lost in major towns on Frances as well. So, it is part of the Camino experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked the del Norte 2 and a half times and there was only one place where I found trouble, and that was leaving Ribadesella. As you leave the town, some yellow arrows lead one to the left to a sendero verde, heading up into the hills. Avoid that! continue along directly and the level and you'll be fine. Otherwise, it is very well marked. In a few places, there are parallel paths, often heading along quite close to the coast-- they are often more scenic and a bit rougher.

So... we walked the camino frances and found we did not need our books maps or GPX files and wanted information if this route and the Portuguese route were as easily well marked as we found not having to keep looking to maps a big plus. Thanks to those who have answered, we are still undecided on which route to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To put your dilemma in dating terms...
the Norte is the looker that you can't take your eyes off, but a teeny bit superficial. The Portugues (from Lisbon) is plainer but after a while you see it has a real heart and kindness and from then on, the view becomes a secondary consideration.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To put your dilemma in dating terms...
the Norte is the looker that you can't take your eyes off, but a teeny bit superficial. The Portugues (from Lisbon) is plainer but after a while you see it has a real heart and kindness and from then on, the view becomes a secondary consideration.

Great reply

Shazzington,
Both caminos were amazing for me and there was no lack of friendliness on the Norte. But, along with its stunning coast, the Norte does go through a lot of seaside holiday resort places and condo-land, where for the most part a pilgrim is just another backpacker passing through. On the Portugues it was different. Even in dreary suburbs I met so much kindness I felt humbled and (despite the occasional crazy driver) my credit rating for human nature had to be revised significantly upwards.

The kindest of all people are the Portuguese , the help/ assistance we received in Caminha made life long friends.
I don't think Tom their Gov't goes overboard but the people more than make up for that bit lacking.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Okay Tom thanks for clearing that up, I understand what you're implying we'll have to put the Portugues will have to wait another time mate, but we do prefer the plainer side of life.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back