• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the only place to stay in Vilarinho the albergue?

I've started reading the Brierley guide, so the questions will start rolling in. Brierley seems to be pretty good at giving details about accommodation along the route. However, all he mentions for Vilarinho (end of day 1 out of Porto) is a provisional albergue with 4 beds. This is also mentioned in the recent accommodation update posted in this forum. If this is full, Brierley suggests going on to Rates (11km) or going off route to Vila do Conde (6km). Is there really no other place to stay in Vilarinho apart from the albergue!!!??? We don't mind paying for a hotel if it means not having a 36km first day. I did a forum search on Vilarinho and found a mention of someone who was offered a room in someone's house (but this was a post from two years ago).

I have a similar question about Rubiaes (which at least has 34 bunks). Would I be correct in assuming that even in August the Portugues is quiet enough that this is unlikely to fill up? If the albergue is full, is this the only place to stay?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi - have a look at this guide: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

It confirms the situation in Vilarhino. The "albergue" is one small room with two bunk beds.See below) Vila do Conde is about 1.5 euros on the bus away and you will find lots of cheaper hostal accommodation there - get a room down by the river. It is lovely.

In Rubiaes if the albergue is full go back 1km to the the Pensão San Roque. Details listed in the above guide.

I hope this helps.

John

Attachments

• Bunks.JPG
    Bunks.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,391
An alternative to consider is taking either the bus or metro to Araujo and starting from there, thus avoiding several miles of city streets. I took the bus and went on to Vila do Conde where there are several hotels. On the way I discovered that the Metro actually goes all the way to Conde from downtown Porto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes the metro does go to there and I think this must be a real option for people who want to miss out most of what in total is about 40 kms of ugly road walking in the first couple of days out of Porto.

Thanks for the info everyone! I see that on the photo (thanks Johnnie!), one of the 4 bunks is damaged! Nice. Now that I take a closer look at the map in the Brierley guide I see that what I assumed was a train line actually is a metro line and that the stop near Vila do Conde is Santa Clara. We are landing at Porto Airport, which I also see on the map, so we will have a chance to check out the industrial wastelands on our way into town. I am afraid that we are camino purists and so will start walking from Porto itself. Our plan is to leave very early in the morning (i.e. in the dark). Industrial wastelands are not quite so bad if you can't actually see them. We are also setting off on a Sunday.

Thanks Johnnie for confirming that Vila do Conde is a nice place to stay if the Albergue is full. Brierley says that there are buses out there every hour until 7:40pm. We should be in Vilarinho long before that so that we can take stock of the situation.

Looking again at Brierley, I am considering the coastal alternative that goes directly to Vila do Conde and joins up with the main route before Rates. Of course, we still want to start from the Cathedral, so we would have to somehow figure out how to get to Matosinhos.

Hi, I think if I was to do it again I would definately take the river/coast route out to Santa Clara and from there walk up to Rates which was a nice albergue. Santa Clara looked nice but there wasn't an albergue so you would be looking for private accomodation I would imagine.
Everyone I met who walked out of Porto on the main route said it was absolutely horrible/dangerous but everyone I met who took the bus/metro got incredibly lost.... !
If you do take the metro or coastal route then take a VERY good map with you as there are no waymarkings and it's quite hard to find the way back to the main route even with John Brierleys directions and randomly accosting locals!
Bom Caminho!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Actually the bus is very easy. The #602 bus that leaves from Praca Cordoaria stops directly on the Camino in Araujo.

jeff001 said:
Actually the bus is very easy. The #602 bus that leaves from Praca Cordoaria stops directly on the Camino in Araujo.

Hee, that may be true but my friends took the bus and of course had no idea where to get off and missed the stop!! They had to navigate their way back to the route from the next place! Obviously it depends on your level of portugese and your ability to negotiate bus travel... I'm more of a metro person myself! :D

Actually I speak no Portugese and rarely ride buses but I did have a copy of John Brierley's book which gave detailed directions, in English. This was only one of many times both on the Portugues and the Frances that having a guidebook helped me find my way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks again for all the detailed info!! It is particularly useful to know the bus number. I don't speak Portuguese that well, but do speak Spanish fluently, which will help with buses, finding places to stay etc. Just in case, I will pick up a good map in Porto. We have a couple of days there before hitting the Camino. We haven't yet decided on the coastal versus normal route. I'm thinking coastal, but my boyfriend prefers sticking to the waymarked route.

peregrina nicole said:
We haven't yet decided on the coastal versus normal route.

If I may, I would not recommend the coastal route. I went all the way from Porto to Tui on it and found the marking extremely deficient if existent. 95% is on paved roads and soon make your feet pay the price. Pilgrim accommodation doesn't exist, although there are plenty of nice and low cost hostals and pensions.

On the bright side, you're never far from the sea with its attractive small villages, sandy beaches, scenic views and relaxed atmosphere.

Concerning languages, from my experience, you will have more success with your ''broken'' Portuguese and English than with Spanish. In general, the Portuguese are not very warm toward the Spanish language (historic and cultural reasons) and I would resort to it only as a last instance. Although fluent in French, English and Spanish, I took along a small portuguese phrase book that allowed me to receive very warm welcomes everywhere I went while making the trip that much more interesting culturally.

Bom caminho
Jean-Marc

An alternative to consider is taking either the bus or metro to Araujo and starting from there, thus avoiding several miles of city streets. I took the bus and went on to Vila do Conde where there are several hotels. On the way I discovered that the Metro actually goes all the way to Conde from downtown Porto.
I am going to stay in the AirPorto hostel for two nights (€13 via Booking.com) less than 15 minutes walking from the airport. After breakfast I am taking the metro to metro station Sao Bento on walking distance of the cathedral and I will collect my stamp in the pilgrims pass there (pilgrim passes available in the cathedral!!). Then I will start my camino from the cathedral along the river Douro to the Atlantic Ocean and I will follow the coastal road for a while. I will catch the metro in Matosinhos (12 km from the cathedral) (= metro station Mercado) back to the hostel. I walk this day without backpack!! The backpack will stay in the AirPorto hostel. The other day after breakfast I will take the metro back to Matosinhos to continue my camino from there (in Vilar do Conde I will leave the coastal road in direction of RATES, to join the historical camino). I prefer to walk all the way from the cathedral and not to scip any part of the camino. Near the Atlantic at the end of the road along the river Douro (at the end of tram line nr. 1) is a very good simple take away restaurant, where you can eat also inside (no real tables inside, only some desks at the wall. Very good food! Vegetable home made soup for €1,65)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If I may, I would not recommend the coastal route. I went all the way from Porto to Tui on it and found the marking extremely deficient if existent. 95% is on paved roads and soon make your feet pay the price. Pilgrim accommodation doesn't exist, although there are plenty of nice and low cost hostals and pensions.

On the bright side, you're never far from the sea with its attractive small villages, sandy beaches, scenic views and relaxed atmosphere.

Concerning languages, from my experience, you will have more success with your ''broken'' Portuguese and English than with Spanish. In general, the Portuguese are not very warm toward the Spanish language (historic and cultural reasons) and I would resort to it only as a last instance. Although fluent in French, English and Spanish, I took along a small portuguese phrase book that allowed me to receive very warm welcomes everywhere I went while making the trip that much more interesting culturally.

Bom caminho
Jean-Marc

I recommend the coastal road only until Vilar do Conde so that you can scip the industrial areas when you are starting from Maia and go up immediately north from there ... The road along the river Douro is very nice in Porto and the coastal road via Matosinhos to Vilar do Conde is a perfect way without a lot of traffic. Vilarinho on the traditional camino is only 6 km east of Vilar do Conde. In Vilarinho is the nice Casa da Laura, Rua Estreita, Vilarinho, Macieira da Maia, phone '+ 351 917 767 307, e-mail address: casadalaura@gmail.com, fanpage https://www.facebook.com/AlbergueDoTorreao.
There is also an albergue in the convent Mosteiro de Vairão (50 beds) about 2 km from Casa da Laura - This albergue in the convent is a donativo one; Rua do Convento nº 21, Vairão, dinner €6; whole year open,
phone + 351 912 491 346, + 351 936 061 160, fanpage https://www.facebook.com/mosteirodevairao, http://mosteirodevairao.blogspot.pt/, e-mail address: mosteirodevairao@gmail.com.
As well as Casa da Laura as this albergue in the convent are about 22 km from Matosinhos. If you like to stay in Casa de Laura or in that convent leave the coastal road already just after Lavra and just before Praia (= beach) do Angeiras in direction of Angeiras, Carvelha, Igreja, Modivas and Gião.

The metro (line B) goes even till Póvoa de Varzim, not only to Vila do Conde. And metro line C goes until Maia (metro station Castêlo da Maia).
For pilgrims heading for Vilarinho (accommodation: Casa da Laura) or Vairão (albergue in the monasterio) take metro line B until metro station Modivas Centro.
Or walk/cycle from the cathedral via the river Douro (beautiful road + flat) and follow the Atlantic coast until Matosinhos (metro station Mercado) and return back by metro to your hostel in beautiful Porto. Continue the other day from Matosinhos along the coast to scip teh traffic and the industrial areas north of Porto. That first day you van leave your backpack in the hostel!

Recommendation for your accommodation in Porto:

* AirPorto Hostel (15 minutes walk from the airport)
(dormitories for 4-6 persons + double rooms with bunk beds)
http://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/airporto-hostel.nl.html
http://www.airportohostel.com/

* Jualis Guest House (dormitoriy of 9 persons, as well as 2-, 3- and 4-persons rooms with own shower/toilet):
http://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/jualis-guest-house.nl.html
(single pilgrims can better call or send an e-mail to Jualis Guest House - tell that you are a pilgrim since via the bookings sites you cannot order a single bed)

Attachments

• Porto - Map of Metro.pdf
    378.9 KB · Views: 4
In Vilarinho there is also Casa Familia Vidal Villain, Casa Laura, Amadeu Vidal and La Esquela.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The metro (line B) goes even till Póvoa de Varzim, not only to Vila do Conde. And metro line C goes until Maia (metro station Castêlo da Maia).
For pilgrims heading for Vilarinho (accommodation: Casa da Laura) or Vairão (albergue in the monasterio) take metro line B until metro station Modivas Centro.
Or walk/cycle from the cathedral via the river Douro (beautiful road + flat) and follow the Atlantic coast until Matosinhos (metro station Mercado) and return back by metro to your hostel in beautiful Porto. Continue the other day from Matosinhos along the coast to scip teh traffic and the industrial areas north of Porto. That first day you van leave your backpack in the hostel!

Recommendation for your accommodation in Porto:

* AirPorto Hostel (15 minutes walk from the airport)
(dormitories for 4-6 persons + double rooms with bunk beds)
http://www.airportohostel.com/

* Jualis Guest House (dormitoriy of 9 persons, as well as 2-, 3- and 4-persons rooms with own shower/toilet):
(single pilgrims can better call or send an e-mail to Jualis Guest House - tell that you are a pilgrim since via the bookings sites you cannot order a single bed)
Are you Portugese, living in Holland ? Where do you live in Holland ?

Are you Portugese, living in Holland ? Where do you live in Holland ?

I am Dutch (and I live not far from Amsterdam) and I have visited Portugal July 2014 for the first time for vacation:
Porto - Guimaraes - Braga - Bom de Jesus site -Coimbra - Lagos - Faro - Albufeira - Sagres - Sinta - Lisbon
Next time will be mid of September 2014 to start my camino from lovely Porto. I feel I go home, such a nice country!

I am Dutch (and I live not far from Amsterdam) and I have visited Portugal July 2014 for the first time for vacation:
Porto - Guimaraes - Braga - Bom de Jesus site -Coimbra - Lagos - Faro - Albufeira - Sagres - Sinta - Lisbon
Next time will be mid of September 2014 to start my camino from lovely Porto. I feel I go home, such a nice country!
Hi there, I'm arriving in Porto and have reserved beds in a Hostel in Vilar da Conde for our first night. My friend and I want to visit the Cathedral i Porto and plan to take the Metro to Matosinhos. Walking on the coast to Vilar da Conde. Does anyone know how many hours this first walk will take? We dont want to walk too long. our first day, as we want to start off visiting the Cathedral. Thankful for any suggestions on how to plan our first day!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there, I'm arriving in Porto and have reserved beds in a Hostel in Vilar da Conde for our first night. My friend and I want to visit the Cathedral i Porto and plan to take the Metro to Matosinhos. Walking on the coast to Vilar da Conde. Does anyone know how many hours this first walk will take? We dont want to walk too long. our first day, as we want to start off visiting the Cathedral. Thankful for any suggestions on how to plan our first day!

check on Google maps (for pedestrians!) and you'll get the answer =)

Answer: 21,5 km (= 4:21 hrs walking). It is by the way Vila do Conde.
But visiting the cathedral + sightseeing in Porto + taking the metro to Matosinhos + walking to Vila do Conde on ONE day (??!!) is maybe a bit too much. Porto is such an interesting city to stay, at least 2-3 nights!!! I was there on vacation last July. It is a wonderful city.

This is my plan:
I'll take the metro to metro station São Bento and go into southern direction to reach the cathedral. Don't miss the so pretty railway station São Bento with beautiful tiles inside (next to the metro station).
Time table of the cathedral: 9:00-12:30 hrs and 14:30-18:00 hrs. The metro starts already at the airport and my hostel is near the airport (AirPorto hostel)!
From the cathedral go into southern direction to the river Douro. Along the river Douro (beautiful + flat) walk in western direction to the coast (probably no pilgrims here!) and continue to Matosinhos. At the end of your walk along the river Douro near the end stop of tram nr. 1 you'll find a good take away bar where you can order very good home made food. You can eat inside (standing near little tables!) (e.g. vegetable soup Caldo Verde €1,65).
Tip: From the metro station Mercado in Matosinhos you can take the metro to your hostel in Porto and after breakfast you can come back to Matosinhos by metro and to continue your trip from there (you probably can leave your luggage the first day in your hostel in Porto!). The metro is continuing all the way north to Póvoa de Varzim via Vila do Conde, so in fact you can go back to your first hostel for more nights ... Near the coast you cannot find probably such cheap and good accommodation!
Other hostel in Porto:
Jualis Guest House (dormitoriy of 9 persons, as well as 2-, 3- and 4-persons rooms with own shower/toilet):
(single pilgrims can better call or send an e-mail to this Guest House - tell that you are a pilgrim since via the bookingssites you cannot order a single bed)
Back from Santiago de Compostela to Porto:
take the train to Viga and from there the AUTNA-bus to Porto, Porto Airport, Lisbon or Algarve.
See http://www.autna.com/venta/index.php

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back