• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Vezelay well marked?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks - I've been walking along the Vezelay route as it passes very close to home... the plan is to walk to St Jean over the next couple of months as training before I start the CF in September.

A few times I've found myself pausing en route and wondering which way I should go... a few times I've missed the sign or simply not seen it. Often I enter a chemin/path and dont see another sign until I get out the other side a few km later... which is a little disconcerting.

Is this normal? Is this how it is on the CF too? Or is it that I'm just not being very observant? :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A few times I've found myself pausing en route and wondering which way I should go... a few times I've missed the sign or simply not seen it. Often I enter a chemin/path and dont see another sign until I get out the other side a few km later... which is a little disconcerting.

Is this normal? Is this how it is on the CF too? Or is it that I'm just not being very observant? :rolleyes:
Some sections have almost no balises. Other sections are great. Each section is handled by a different Amis et Pelerins group. Some do a good job. Some don't. Take a guide or map if getting lost is a big deal to you. For just day walks for training, it does not make much different where you go as long as you can get home!!

Some sections have almost no balises. Other sections are great. Each section is handled by a different Amis et Pelerins group. Some do a good job. Some don't. Take a guide or map if getting lost is a big deal to you. For just day walks for training, it does not make much different where you go as long as you can get home!!

LesBrass,

Much of what Falcon notes for the Vezelay is also true for the CF.
Of course we all look for the famous yellow arrows and/or stylized shells but they may be small or large, high or low, painted on a rock, nailed to a tree, etc. When the path is further hidden by fog, rain, mud or snow any marker can be especially hard to spot. Sections of the CF and the alternates are tended by various local groups. Hence, like everything else on the camino, and in life, there is NO CONSISTENT marking system.

However in September the basic CF route should be well marked by the figures of those pilgrims ahead of you as on a giant chess board. Nevertheless do carry a map and remember that on the CF you are basically moving west. Enjoy the challenge!!

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just back from Vezelay the route is well marked by two different groups, sometimes overlapping sometimes going offseparately. The route marked by the guide of Monique Chassain is marked upload_2014-6-30_17-33-44.png sadly the guide is very outdated concerning lodging food etc however her maps are very good. The marking on this guide often utilises the existing GR marks in places where they do actually overlap and you may not see them.Your other option is Randonnee guide which marks a slightly different route with the French hashmarks, the red and white stripes also seen above. The GR is longer, laid down to avoid pavement which is a good thing but may be 5-10 kilometers longer in order to pass between the same two places - the authors love cow pastures, forest paths, but beware warnings such as Très humide don't mean just very wet they mean mud up to your shins! The GR guide is super up to date and lodging, food, and tourism are all right on. I took both and planned using both options often on a daily basis. Bon Marche,

Hi Falcon (and Margret) I am hoping that I have been walking in a less well marked route in that case... today was better and I noticed a different kind of marker so perhaps I'm in a well maintained section!

I am still in areas where I kind of know the geography but I'm getting further away from home - when I go again on Friday I'll be in the Gironde and really into unknown areas... but OH is tracking me via GPS so he can come and get me at the end of the day o_O

Just back from Vezelay the route is well marked by two different groups, sometimes overlapping sometimes going offseparately. The route marked by the guide of Monique Chassain is marked View attachment 11195 sadly the guide is very outdated concerning lodging food etc however her maps are very good. The marking on this guide often utilises the existing GR marks in places where they do actually overlap and you may not see them.Your other option is Randonnee guide which marks a slightly different route with the French hashmarks, the red and white stripes also seen above. The GR is longer, laid down to avoid pavement which is a good thing but may be 5-10 kilometers longer in order to pass between the same two places - the authors love cow pastures, forest paths, but beware warnings such as Très humide don't mean just very wet they mean mud up to your shins! The GR guide is super up to date and lodging, food, and tourism are all right on. I took both and planned using both options often on a daily basis. Bon Marche,

Scruffy i've not come across those signs yet... they look great! I'm still following the small rectangular stickers. Some of my paths have follow the RN/GR signs but none yesterday or today... but the marking seemed easier today too.

I will have a search for the guides thought... I'm moving further from home and I should be better prepared.

Just out of interest did you wakl through Saint Astier town or Neuvic on your travels? I was driving somewhere near home and I thought I saw a chap that looked very much like your picture... just wondering :rolleyes:

Alas no

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back