• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a Barcelona to Sarria overnight train?

Marie O'D

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone,
I'm Marie and am walking my first Camino (starting in Sarria) in September. I will be flying into Barcelona and then would like to take the overnight train to Sarria. However, I do not see a train now that goes directly there, just one that stops in Madrid, and then taking another one to Sarria.
Is there a train (I was told that there was, but can't seem to find it) that I can take directly from Barcelona to Sarria? Thanks so much for your help!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find that one doubtful. Two great areas to try:
Rome2Rio
Rail Planner
both apps have proved extremely helpful to me over the years.
A quick search using Rail Planner shows that each route does indeed route through Madrid, fwiw.

good luck (I would love to be wrong)

Rome2Rio
Rail Planner
A quick search using Rail Planner shows that each route does indeed route through Madrid, fwiw.

Thanks, irishrock, I did see that but I was hoping I was wrong. Thought it would be fun to travel to Sarria via train. Guess I'll just have to stop in Madrid first! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,
I'm Marie and am walking my first Camino (starting in Sarria) in September. I will be flying into Barcelona and then would like to take the overnight train to Sarria. However, I do not see a train now that goes directly there, just one that stops in Madrid, and then taking another one to Sarria.
Is there a train (I was told that there was, but can't seem to find it) that I can take directly from Barcelona to Sarria? Thanks so much for your help!
The short answer to your question is: No. Barcelona, Madrid, Ourense, Sarria is the most viable route.

The alternative is fly Barcelona to Santiago, bus to Lugo, bus/train to Sarria

Hi Marie,

I searched the web, RENFE ALSA, and found nothing for you.
That's how things are in Spain.
It is mandatory to pass through Madrid, for many procedures, the train too.
Renfe has abandoned the conventional train and to make AVE profitable forces you to go to Madrid.
I, as a resident of Barcelona, would fly to Santiago and then the bus.
This bus stops at the airport towards Sarria.

Ultreia¡

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a train from Barcelona at 09:30 most days which goes to A Coruna via Ourense, where it arrives at 21.21 (if it's on time, which it rarely is.) There is then a train to Sarria at 23.00, arriving 00.08.

However, I agree with Tincatinker that via Madrid is much more practical. The AVE does Barcelona-Madrid in 2h 30, Madrid-Sarria, changing at Ourense, in 4-5 hours.

Hi Marie,

I searched the web, RENFE ALSA, and found nothing for you.
That's how things are in Spain.
It is mandatory to pass through Madrid, for many procedures, the train too.
Renfe has abandoned the conventional train and to make AVE profitable forces you to go to Madrid.
I, as a resident of Barcelona, would fly to Santiago and then the bus.
This bus stops at the airport towards Sarria.

Ultreia¡
Thank you, I think I may now fly to Santiago, then bus it to Sarria. 👍

Thanks, irishrock, I did see that but I was hoping I was wrong. Thought it would be fun to travel to Sarria via train. Guess I'll just have to stop in Madrid first! :)
in Madrid...if you can time it right, the Mercado San Miguel is a very fun, entertaining, and tasty place to visit. It is a tapas marketplace. A tad pricey, but very good food and drinks. Not very far from Atocha train station. Best of luck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
do look at train times for Santiago to Sarria as well (although when I was there a couple of weeks ago, there weren't actually any trains from Ourense to Sarria:) they had a substitute bus service). But it just gives you more options regarding times. The bus and train stations are next to each other in Santiago.

Time to mention my Lugo notice.

The bus from Santiago to Sarria stops in Lugo. You can get a compostela by walking from Lugo also. You will connect to the Francés but you will avoid its crowds for a couple of days.

Lugo is on the Camino Primitivo which joins the Camino Francés at Melide. Distances were recalibrated not too long ago and Lugo was then found to have a distance from SdC just a hair short of the 100 km needed but the authorities decided to allow starts from Lugo to continue to quality for a compostela but your first stamp must be from the city. I recommend getting your first stamp at the cathedral to help things along. Lugo's old city is surrounded by an impressive wall. Google.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
do look at train times for Santiago to Sarria as well (although when I was there a couple of weeks ago, there weren't actually any trains from Ourense to Sarria:) they had a substitute bus service). But it just gives you more options regarding times. The bus and train stations are next to each other in Santiago.
Thank you, good to know!
Time to mention my Lugo notice.

The bus from Santiago to Sarria stops in Lugo. You can get a compostela by walking from Lugo also. You will connect to the Francés but you will avoid its crowds for a couple of days.

Lugo is on the Camino Primitivo which joins the Camino Francés at Melide. Distances were recalibrated not too long ago and Lugo was then found to have a distance from SdC just a hair short of the 100 km needed but the authorities decided to allow starts from Lugo to continue to quality for a compostela but your first stamp must be from the city. I recommend getting your first stamp at the cathedral to help things along. Lugo's old city is surrounded by an impressive wall. Google.
Thank you, I will!

Hello everyone,
Hello from Colorado… I am doing the same trip… planning on flying from Barcelona to Santiago on 30th and taking a bus or sharing a taxi to Sarria Maureen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone,
You would usually take the train from Barcelona to Monforte de Lemos or Lugo. And then bus or train to Sarria.

Trains run from Barcelona to Montforte de Lemos. I don't know if there is a night train. But if you might consider walking the Invierno instead of the much busier route from Sarria, you could get a train from Barcelona to Montforte de Lemos and walk from there to Santiago. That is the required minimum distance walked to get the Compostela in Santiago. And it is a wonderful route. Take it from me. I shall be walking a longer version of the route for the second time this fall. But you would need to be an experienced walker to take this route, and you would not have the multitude of companions that you would have from Sarria.

If you would train from Barcelona and have to transfer in Madrid and want to travel on the same day be sure that you have enough transfertime in between the two trains ,( presuming you have booked trains) You have to travel between stations Atocha and Chamartin. I had only 45 minutes and did not catch the connecting train. I could not change the ticket and had to buy a very expensive new ticket.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, good to know!

Thank you, I will!
Along similar lines, you could get the bus to Piedrafita Do Cebreiro and walk from O Cebreiro, a really beautiful area a couple of days from Sarria, which you will pass through on your way to Santiago de Compostela.

Rome2Rio
Rail Planner

Try Blablacar..

You might be able to get out of Barcelona to more mid country with more options to Sarria.

Hello from Colorado… I am doing the same trip… planning on flying from Barcelona to Santiago on 30th and taking a bus or sharing a taxi to Sarria Maureen
I hadn’t thought about taking a taxi from Santiago to Sarria. Thank you, another option to consider…😁
Try Blablacar..

You might be able to get out of Barcelona to more mid country with more options to Sarria.
Thanks, I was wondering about BlaBlaCar from Santiago to Sarria, too.
I thought Barcelona to Sarria would probably be too expensive, but I don’t know. I’ll check once I get to Barcelona, though. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just a thought, why not start the Camino in Ourense? comparing in memories Sarria-SdC and Ourense-SdC ways, the latest would be clearly preferred. Especially if one routes it through Oseira..

Not mention that it is really inspiring to start the way from the cathedral in Ourense:

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back