• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a Camino library?

onwayhome

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Ponferrada-Santiago,(c1986)
Frances SJPP-Santiago (2011)
Portuguese Porto- Finisterre (2016)
St Michaels Way (2016)
Having a clear out and I've just come across an early guidebook- Guia del Peregrino (Everest 1985).

Its not doing a lot on my bookshelf and I'm wondering if there's a Camino library in the UK/Europe that might like it as a donation?

With big maps and colour photos it actually weighed too much for me to carry, so has remained in pretty good condition. (Unlike the books I've actually taken which usually end up with scribbled notes and sections torn out!) Any ideas?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With big maps and colour photos it actually weighed too much for me to carry, so has remained in pretty good condition. (Unlike the books I've actually taken which usually end up with scribbled notes and sections torn out!) Any ideas?

I used that 1985 Valina guide on my first camino. Someone ahead of me had one too - I kept coming across pages torn from it and used as toilet paper :-( Glad to hear that yours and mine have fared better over the years :)

I used that 1985 Valina guide on my first camino. Someone ahead of me had one too - I kept coming across pages torn from it and used as toilet paper :-( Glad to hear that yours and mine have fared better over the years :)
Oh, my!!! I wouldn't even tear a page out of any book but to use it as a toilet paper... It's a sacrilege for me :eek::eek::eek:

1985 guide book on the camino would place it as a historical piece. Not sure about the commercial value or the copyright as the information in the would not be relevant now. Would be nice if the pages are allowed to be scanned and shared.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You stopped and READ it? Yeew!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please don't sell it off. It needs to be shared. I recommend donating it to a Pilgrim Society that maintains a public office and has lots of local walk-in traffic.

Failing this, the Pilgrim House at Santiago, Rua Nova #19 maintains a reading library (not for checking out books though). That would be an excellent place to donate this book.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it somewhere that pilgrims can enjoy and make use of it. I'm following up Wiilliam Marques CSJ suggestion to start.

Been enjoying hearing about the memories evoked by its distinctive shape and apparent potential for multiple uses :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Been enjoying hearing about the memories evoked by its distinctive shape and apparent potential for multiple uses :)

My copy is still intact :) On my first Camino I borrowed my mother-in-law's copy which she had autographed when she met Don Elias in O Cebreiro. She insisted on getting that one back once I finished walking. I bought myself another copy in Santiago before heading home. Used it for my second Camino in 2002.
valina.jpg

Last edited:
My copy is still intact :) On my first Camino I borrowed my mother-in-law's copy which she had autographed when she met Don Elias in O Cebreiro. She insisted on getting that one back once I finished walking. I bought myself another copy in Santiago before heading home. Used it for my second Camino in 2002.
View attachment 46478
I have the same one from my Camino in 1989. I recently acquired The Pilgrim Route to Santiago: A practical guide for pilgrims and walkers in Spain by Abbé G. Bernès, George's Veron, and Louis Laborde Balen, of about the same vintage but in English. The preface by the Archbishop of Santiago is dated 1986. It is interesting to compare them.

Oh, my!!! I wouldn't even tear a page out of any book but to use it as a toilet paper... It's a sacrilege for me :eek::eek::eek:
Not Camino, but on our last Overland Track walk in Tasmania I took a detective book to reread and donate afterwards. But there was a shortage of toilet paper and we gave a part roll to another (desperate) walker, so after I had read the first part of the book I used it for TP.
Recommended, very good TP. Here is what was left>
IMG_3292.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back