• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a company that would drive my van from spot to spot for me?

Tamargrace

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
Just a quick querie, I have a cosy van that would be fantastic for me whilst in the camino. Really I would rather only walk one way which would mean someone would need to drive it from spot to spot....

Is there a company out there who would be able to help me with this.

Or

Is there anyway of contacting other pilgrams and van owners and somehow get a system so we could achieve this together

Thanks
Best wishes
And
¡¡¡Buen camino!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I intend on walking but sleeping in my van at night thats all. I was just wondering if there was a service available to help me out. Kind of like a bag drop but for a van....

What dates will you be traveling and and what would you consider a reasonable rate of pay? I might know someone who would be interested in doing that. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's definitely an intriguing concept but there are a few things you may need to think through.
You are talking about employing someone for a period of days to drive your van point to point and then do what? Sleep in the van, or a hotel or Hostal, or have some one else drive them home and back out to your van the following day. Now you are employing two people. There are almost certainly contingent labour providers in Spain who would provide that service but it would probably be cheaper to drive your van yourself and get a taxi back to your start point for each days walking.
I won't go into the topic of wild camping in Spain as opposed to using designated sites because that is a topic that has been rehearsed to death and beyond on this forum but if your van is a stand alone ie it has waste water and sewerage tanks you will find yourself with a few more options.
Unless you are contemplating one of the unmarked and un-supported Caminos you might find the conventional walk, eat, sleep, repeat more relaxing and less taxing.

Happy planning

I intend on walking but sleeping in my van at night thats all. I was just wondering if there was a service available to help me out. Kind of like a bag drop but for a van....

I’m a van dweller too. I get it. Even when I visit my kids I sleep best in my little ‘cocoon.’ Personally I don’t think parking would be an issue. But having someone drive could be. Where would THEY sleep?? You might consider just using Albergue’s unless you have very deep pockets.

Without knowing your reason for wanting to take a van, looking at it from a financial perspective, I would think it would be cheaper to walk and use the Camino accommodation, than to pay someone to drive it every day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will do it for 30/day and round trip airfare from the US.
I could drive to you destination, taxi back, walk and pay for my food and an Albergue.
Free Camino!!

A friend of mine did just that for his friend, starting from Sarria. The guy walked whilst my friend drove his camper-van to a set destination each day and waited for him....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just a quick querie, I have a cosy van that would be fantastic for me whilst in the camino. Really I would rather only walk one way which would mean someone would need to drive it from spot to spot....Thanks
Best wishes
And
¡¡¡Buen camino!!!

I’m not sure if you are female but if so there is a Facebook group called Solo Women Van Dwellers. There are hundreds of members from all over the world. Maybe you could connect with the right person there who lived in the EU and was willing. Good luck.

Ah, I've just realised, that if you take your van you can have your dogs with you. I bet they love the van too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Not a bad idea, out of the ordinary and for that I am intrigued. As for camping in a van in Spain it is a tricky business (there are some articles here; https://www.furgosfera.com/) but along the camino I cannot imagine that you will have a problem with finding a quiet place.

Send more details: which camino, A to B, dates.

This may seem a bit far out, but you may want to reach out to one of the luggage transport companies. They may be willing to use your van during the day to move their luggage and then turn it back to you at night to sleep. I'm sure the insurance concerns might be a nightmare but you never know.

There is an older Belgian couple on the Camino Frances now. She is walking and her husband is driving their camper van each day. He takes her to the start, walks with her a short way and then goes back to the van. He then waitss for her at the designated spot. They park in the street and if it is front of someone's home ask permission. The van is self-contained. She told me they have had no problems.

Just a quick querie, I have a cosy van that would be fantastic for me whilst in the camino. Really I would rather only walk one way which would mean someone would need to drive it from spot to spot....

Or

Is there anyway of contacting other pilgrams and van owners and somehow get a system so we could achieve this together

Thanks
Best wishes
And
¡¡¡Buen camino!!!
Try contacting CaminoFacil. They transport luggage so they might consider expanding their enterprise if you ask. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Wow! Thanks for your responses. I am going to st jpdp on 4th june but have prebooked some accomodation as it is a treat from my other half. But I am carrying on solo after this.

And yes the main reason is privacy and so I can take my furry friends with me.

I have no plans exactly with dates and places as i kind of dip in and out of the camino.. but it would be good from say pamplona on the 7th June thereabouts.

And yea totally think were onto something here with luggage transfer and van transfer...

Thanks again camigos

Or

Thanks
Best wishes
And
¡¡¡Buen camino!!!
Wow! Thanks for your responses. I am going to st jpdp on 4th june but have prebooked some accomodation as it is a treat from my other half. But I am carrying on solo after this.

And yes the main reason is privacy and so I can take my furry friends with me.

I have no plans exactly with dates and places as i kind of dip in and out of the camino.. but it would be good from say pamplona on the 7th June thereabouts.

And yea totally think were onto something here with luggage transfer and van transfer...

Thanks again camigos
In my opinion the easiest way is to taxi back to your start point each day and take the van to where you finished. Depending on how far you walk it will be around 20 euros and will be offset by the cost of an Albergue.

We had friends who wanted to have their car near them for part of the Camino St Jacques.
He would hitch each night or second night back to the car. No issues. But then is and spoke French so no communication issues. If the dogs are walking I'm sure fellow travellers would look after them for a half hour or so ?

I once met a chap coming the other way several days in a row. When I asked how he explained that every morning he cycled ahead, chained his bike up, then walked back to his van. After driving to his bike in the evening he slept and started again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I once met a chap coming the other way several days in a row. When I asked how he explained that every morning he cycled ahead, chained his bike up, then walked back to his van. After driving to his bike in the evening he slept and started again.

I bet half the time he didn't know whether he was coming or going. And does he get a cycling compostela or a walking one or both?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back