Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a cruz de ferro place on the primitivo?

MTtoCamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPdP to Finnestere April(2014)
My plan is to walk from Madrid to Leon then up to Oviedo

I am hoping to leave a stone for my son. If there is not a place, I will continue from Leon to Cruze de ferro

Thanks in advance
Keith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can’t tell from your post whether you will walk from Leon to Oviedo, but if you do, there is a cross at a High Point on the Salvador that would be appropriate. It’s between Poladura de la Tercia and Pajares. I don’t know if it is intended to be that kind of spot, but it is a beautiful place to remember someone. There are pictures in Ender’s Salvador guide.

I am hoping to leave a stone for my son.
There is nothing wrong with choosing a unique spot for your remembrance. As you ponder on your walk, you might find a place that is more meaningful to you than a place where thousands of others put their rocks - so many that they periodically need to be bulldozed and carted away.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I am hoping to leave a stone for my son. If there is not a place, I will continue from Leon to Cruze de ferro

Thanks in advance
Keith
Keith,
I shall be walking the route from Leon to Oviedo next month. I have not walked it previously, but it appears to be one of those places where earth moves a little closer to Heaven. By chance, I am carrying in the pocket next to my heart a small stone painted with a cross by a child in my church's Sunday school. I didn't know why I brought it, but now I do. I shall place it somewhere in the high places, where my heart leads me, and pray for you and your son. God bless.
Mary Louise

I didn't know why I brought it, but now I do. I shall place it somewhere in the high places, where my heart leads me, and pray for you and your son. God bless.
Mary Louise

@C clearly There is nothing wrong with choosing a unique spot for your remembrance. As you ponder on your walk, you might find a place that is more meaningful to you than a place where thousands of others put their rocks

A few lines from Václav Cílek, a contemporary Czech geologist and philosopher and walker.

He says ‘The earth will eventually confide the most to those who do no ask too loudly.’ (To Breathe With Birds, A Book of Landscapes, Václav Cílek, 2015)

And he compiled what he calls ‘wayfarer’s rules’. Here are a few: ‘A small place with which I resonate is more important than a large pilgrimage site where I am only a visitor….A person is at home in only one landscape….A place in the landscape corresponds to a place in the heart.’

I recommend his book.

Last edited:
Keith,
I shall be walking the route from Leon to Oviedo next month. I have not walked it previously, but it appears to be one of those places where earth moves a little closer to Heaven. By chance, I am carrying in the pocket next to my heart a small stone painted with a cross by a child in my church's Sunday school. I didn't know why I brought it, but now I do. I shall place it somewhere in the high places, where my heart leads me, and pray for you and your son. God bless.
Mary Louise
Thank you Mary Louise very kind.
Keith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can’t tell from your post whether you will walk from Leon to Oviedo, but if you do, there is a cross at a High Point on the Salvador that would be appropriate. It’s between Poladura de la Tercia and Pajares. I don’t know if it is intended to be that kind of spot, but it is a beautiful place to remember someone. There are pictures in Ender’s Salvador guide.
Thank you

I walked with a close friend once, not on the CF. I told him about the stone and he brought one for his beloved daughter that was lost to him. When we started walking he asked me if there was a place like Cruz de Ferro on the Camino. I said no but I am sure you will feel and know when the time and place is right to leave your stone. One day as we walked through a really beautiful field I looked behind me and my friend had his backpack off and was kneeling in meditation. I knew he had found his place for his stone and his daughter. I quickly turned and kept walking. A few kilometers away i found a cafe and waited about 30 minutes for my friend. He came and we hugged and had a coffee.

On both of my Camino Frances walks, I was surprised how many people had never heard about the Iron Cross. More than stones left there. The Dog Tags I wore while fighting in Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Laos were left hanging on the Cross.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked with a close friend once, not on the CF. I told him about the stone and he brought one for his beloved daughter that was lost to him. When we started walking he asked me if there was a place like Cruz de Ferro on the Camino. I said no but I am sure you will feel and know when the time and place is right to leave your stone. One day as we walked through a really beautiful field I looked behind me and my friend had his backpack off and was kneeling in meditation. I knew he had found his place for his stone and his daughter. I quickly turned and kept walking. A few kilometers away i found a cafe and waited about 30 minutes for my friend. He came and we hugged and had a coffee.
Thank you for sharing that.

When I walked the Camino Frances I carried some of my mother's ashes (she had died a few the previous year) and it had always been one of her ambitions to walk one of the Caminos. I did not think before my walk where I would plan to scatter them. I was of the opinion I would know the right place when I saw it. On the day that I walked into O Cebriero it was chilly and a light rainfall had made it tough going. I decided to walk through the town and go further. As I came into the town I saw a small church. I walked up the path and near the entrance on the right-hand side of the path was a tree. "Here is the perfect spot," I thought to myself. I took my mother's ashes and scattered most of them at the base of the tree, said a prayer and continued on my way.

I took a photo and sent it to my five sisters telling them it was an easy spot to find, very peaceful and close to a beautiful church, all things that I know my mother would have liked.

On the final day into Santiago, I scattered the last of my mother's ashes by the huge statue outside the city, so at both sites I can if I wish find the spot easily.

Thanks in advance
Keith
There is a waymarker at the top of the Hospitales route that many pilgrims have used for this purpose. I left an important item there myself in May 2022, which was an emotionally powerful moment for me. As others have said, however, you can choose the place yourself, based on what feels right.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a waymarker at the top of the Hospitales route that many pilgrims have used for this purpose. I left an important item there myself in May 2022, which was an emotionally powerful moment for me. As others have said, however, you can choose the place yourself, based on what feels right.
In Oviedo ( just outside ) there is Monte Naranco. Just a thought.

Please, members, if you must leave something, make it only a stone. What may be special and meaningful to you becomes litter in time. This is especially destructive in a remote place like the Hospitales route.

The Crux de Ferro is accessible to authorities, and gets cleaned up from time to time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back