• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a minimum daily mileage?

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Every albergue asks everyone to leave every morning. But does the next albergue check your mileage to make sure you actually walked from the previous "stage"?

Thinking of times when the pilgrim is injured or tired.

Can you just walk across town to a new albergue instead of actually leaving town?

How far do you have to walk to be admitted to an albergue ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Commercial albergues make their own rules, and will probably allow you to stay two nights. For others I've not had any problems on days where I have walked from one village to another, only 6 or 7 km apart. Certainly there is no specific rule about how far you should walk each day. I know of people who stayed at the parochial albergue in Burgos, and then walked a few hundred metres to stay a second night in the municipal.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Usually the doors are closed till at least 3PM so walking across town then results in a long wait.

Some albergues will store your stuff and let you stay a second night but usually you're out in the street for the day. It depends somewhat on how many people arrive that day.

There is anecdotal discussion of Granon, a popular albergue, requiring that you've walked a minimum arbitrary distance ... part of this is to make it fair on people who have walked a long way and have less options to keep going to find a bed.

'Stages' are basically a thing made up by guidebooks. They don't really exist in practice, except on some routes like the Plata where the towns are few and far apart, so there is little choice about where to stop. Where there are plenty of accommodation options, people stop where they like. The pilgrim office puts no limit on how long you take for your pilgrimage, so for an albergue to do so would be out of order.

Having said that, public and parish albergues will certainly check your recent stamps, to make sure you are actually making some sort of logical progress and not just albergue hopping for tourism purposes.

Having said that, public and parish albergues will certainly check your recent stamps, to make sure you are actually making some sort of logical progress and not just albergue hopping for tourism purposes.
As a hospitalero, I had no such motive in checking pilgrims' credencials. I was much more interested in having a chat about where the pilgrim had been and how they were feeling if they had done a long day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is anecdotal discussion of Granon, a popular albergue, requiring that you've walked a minimum arbitrary distance
My (older) edition of Brierley states that the parish albergue at Granon is 'reserved for those pilgrims who have travelled from further back than Santo Domingo'. I stayed at the Albergue de Carrasquedo last year, so I don't know if that restriction is still applied.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back