• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a part of the Camino that you could walk comfortably for 10 days starting Dec 28th

Jill O'Connor

I have a break over late December and most of January (school holidays)and have wanted to do the Camino for a long time. I would be flying from Melbourne Australia December 26 and would love to walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compestela. Is this possible or would the weather be too bad? Thanks Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It started to rain as I got to Fisterra on 12 December 2012. The weather got quite wet with severe squalls filling the streets with an inch of water in a matter of minutes. I was quite glad to have gotten in under the wire.

People arrived at the albergue the next day by taxi after getting everything (including blue jeans) completly soaked. They could not have gotten wetter by swimming. Fortunately for them the temperature was still mid teens or hypothermia would have been an immediate issue.

The pattern of squalls kept on until I left for Madrid a week later.

Your plan for walking from Sarria that late in the season is possible. You will need to be prepared for squalls of torrential rain. If you get caught out in a squall try to get under cover and on higher ground. I found bus stops made good shelters.

In clear weather there will be frost in the mornings.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you consider other routes then the frances:
Primitivo from Oviedo can be done in 10 days (although it a challenge) or the Portugues from Porto would be perfect

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There is also the the Camino Invierno which turns off at Ponferrada and goes South of the Camino Frances. I am considering doing that instead of walking over O Cebreiro as it is known as the winter camino. That said, I am not sure about accomodation on that route. You could start in Astorga - that would be 10 days to Santiago. What a shame - another Aussie on the trail when I am, (School holidays!!) but you will be ahead of me. Those Vics - they always start back earlier than we South Aussies! Have a great jounrey, Janet

I have a break over late December and most of January (school holidays)and have wanted to do the Camino for a long time. I would be flying from Melbourne Australia December 26 and would love to walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compestela. Is this possible or would the weather be too bad? Thanks Jill

I'm starting the Portuguese from Porto on 26 Dec. I'll be in Santiago in 9-10 days to see the Botafumerio swing on Jan 6. John Brierly offers some comforting advice in the Camino Portuguese guide book (which the pilgrim super-egos in this forum find objectionable for some self centred reason)... "Some of the most mystical and transformative trips can be in the depths of winter." Reckon with rain at any time of year in Galicia, but rain gear should be standard equipment on any Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is also the the Camino Invierno which turns off at Ponferrada and goes South of the Camino Frances. I am considering doing that instead of walking over O Cebreiro as it is known as the winter camino. That said, I am not sure about accomodation on that route. You could start in Astorga - that would be 10 days to Santiago. What a shame - another Aussie on the trail when I am, (School holidays!!) but you will be ahead of me. Those Vics - they always start back earlier than we South Aussies! Have a great jounrey, Janet

Given this is your first Camino and that accommodations are limited in the winter, I would suggest staying on the Francés. I have a friend who did the Invierno this past September and he walked 8 days without seeing a pilgrim - neither while walking nor at the end of each stage. And most of the time he had to stay in private hostales since there were few pilgrim accommodations. He was even surprised after numerious Caminos under his belt and even walking from home in The Netherlands to Santiago how quiet it was.

10 days will give you a taste of the Francés. I agree that you could start further back as Sarria-Santiago is usually walked in 5 days.

Good luck planning!

Given this is your first Camino and that accommodations are limited in the winter, I would suggest staying on the Francés. I have a friend who did the Invierno this past September and he walked 8 days without seeing a pilgrim - neither while walking nor at the end of each stage. And most of the time he had to stay in private hostales since there were few pilgrim accommodations. He was even surprised after numerious Caminos under his belt and even walking from home in The Netherlands to Santiago how quiet it was.

10 days will give you a taste of the Francés. I agree that you could start further back as Sarria-Santiago is usually walked in 5 days.

Good luck planning!

Thank you all for your input. There is much to consider but I think decent rain-gear is a must. I do own a Rainbird jacket but no doubt more than that is needed. I am still wondering if perhaps I would be better off doing part of The Lycian Way in Turkey instead as I think the weather may be a little kinder at that time of year on the south coast of Turkey and then walk the Camino in late September/early October if I can an extra week off work. Either way I hope the time spent walking helps me to be a more decisive person!
Cheers Jill

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back