• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a pilgrim hostel nr San Juan de la Pena?

craigmiller

Senior Walker
Time of past OR future Camino
2012: Astorga to Palas de Rei
2013: SJPP to Burgos
2014: Burgos to Astorga/Palas to Santiago
2015: Camino Aragones
2016: Muxia/Finisterra
Is there pilgrim accomodation at/near San Juan de la Pena? - Google maps show a refugio across the road from Monasterio Alto, but I cannot find any references to it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been to San de la Pena twice and know of no albergue there. The closest would be at Santa Cilia de Jaca, which would be 10 km away. The hospederia in Santa Cruz de los Seros offers private accommodation for 45-50euro, and is only 5km away from San Juan de la Pena. There is also a pricy if comfortable hotel at the Monasterio Alto

Depending on which direction you are coming from, there is also a pilgrim albergue in Ena on the Camino Catalán. Fingers crossed that LTfit and I will be able to provide a first hand report on both of these albergues in the next month or so!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Depending on which direction you are coming from, there is also a pilgrim albergue in Ena on the Camino Catalán. Fingers crossed that LTfit and I will be able to provide a first hand report on both of these albergues in the next month or so!
Hello. There is a very very hard climb up from the proper Camino to the Monasterio de San Juan de la Peña. ( O. Cebreiro in Galicia it´s a child´s play in comparison with it) I suggest you to take a bus from Jaca to San Juan de la Peña. I think it cost 14 € round trip, visiting old monastery "new" monastery and musseum of the Kindong of Aragon. Can find more information in Jaca´s Tourist Office. If you don´t like to be the entire day in the monasteries, you could walk down the road to Santa Cilia ( pilgrims albergue) or Santa Cruz de la Serós, where you can book a room in a hotel, casa rural, etc. Can also take a Taxi from Santa Cilia and return walkink, but remember : 11 Km from the cross of Camino de Santiago. 7 Km of a real hard slope to the old monastery. 2 more km to the new one. But that said, you would LOVE the site.
Buen Camino

Last edited:

Just to report back, though this isn't likely to be of interest to people walking the Aragonés and looking for a place to stay in order to continue walking. But on the Camino Catalán, as it gets close to San Juan there is an albergue in Ena (beautiful, newly renovated old home, with next door neighbor acting as hospitalera and providing meals if she's around). That would be about 12 km from San Juan. And there is also one further on in Botaya, about 4 km from the monastery. We stayed there -- it's albergue turístico/juvenil, http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-casa-del-herrero. Nothing special, kind of cramped in the bunk room (but since there were only two of us it didn't matter). But the best part of that stay was that the owner drove us up to the monastery in the afternoon, so we could have a full visit. Amazing place, great views from the Balcón de los Pirineos. We then walked back to Botaya, which would have been less than 4 km if we had found the Camino, but we wound up on the road and it was a couple km longer, all on asphalt. The next day we left early and passed by San Juan long before it opened for a visit.

Though the ascent from Santa Cilia to San Juan may be a killer, the descent is probably the worst I've ever encountered -- slip sliding on rocks with sharp inclines, it was a real challenge. But no doubt worth every bit of patellar tendonitis I suffered from it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found the descent from San Juan to Santa Cruz de los Seros too difficult-- it borders on a technical climb and I think would be risky in damp weather. I retraced my steps and then went down on the A-1603- it is perhaps about 3-4km longer. Peregrina2000 is more adventurous than I, but I would not recommend the path. But San Juan de la Pena is one of the most extraordinary places in Spain and, should a detour off the Camino ever be justified, this is it.

This is labeled a refugio on the map. I think it is a low cost albergue across the road from the monastery.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.507...TZy-XKMunwFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

I wish that's what that building was, because a lot of people would probably take advantage of it. If you zoom in on the side of the building that faces the road you will see a sign that says "Centro de Interpretación." I am virtually certain there is no albergue/refugio up there. The four star hotel built in the new monastery was not showing any sign of life when we were there last summer, and their website suggests there is nothing going on (calendar shows no availability on any date). Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The four star was comfortable if pricey when I was there in 2009 but for the life of me I could not see how it could make it- when I was there most of the guests were from a ATV club. Perhaps if you contacted them directly? Tripadvisor does not have the Hospederia, nor does Mundicamino or Gronze-- although they are not 100% certain on these issues..... I saw the Intepretation Centre when I was there last but there was no sign at all of an albergue. The Huesca or Jaca pilgrims' associations might have an idea.

Attachments

• camino2009 608.jpg
    camino2009 608.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 3
  • camino2009 610.jpg
    camino2009 610.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 3

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back