• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Find Delicious Pastel de Nata Near the Cathedral for Starting the Camino in Lisbon

motero99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portugues (2023)
I am looking to fly into Lisbon and start the Camino from the Cathedral the same morning. Is there a good place to get Pastel de Nata on the Camino near the Cathedral? I think that would be a good start to the walk. Otherwise, is their a place with in the first 8k or so on the Camino?
Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don’t think you’ll find a bad Nata in all of Portugal. In fact, you’l find some very nice flavor variations on the classic Nata as you go from shop to shop. You’ll find them everywhere. There’s now a little shop in Santiago selling a very good Nata right on Rua do Franco. Enjoy! They’re small so always buy more than one.

724842E9-A3BC-4E35-9E2F-D35E0CEA77B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I am looking to fly into Lisbon and start the Camino from the Cathedral the same morning. Is there a good place to get Pastel de Nata on the Camino near the Cathedral? I think that would be a good start to the walk. Otherwise, is their a place with in the first 8k or so on the Camino?
Thank you
The most famous place I know of to get Pasteis de Nata is in Belém, which is unfortunately about 6.5 km west of the Cathedral, while the Camino heads more or less northeast from the Cathedral. Belém is where the pasteis are supposed to have originated. It's not too far by trolley, though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One place that is close to the Cathedral, in the Baixa area just before heading up the few blocks to the cathedral, is Pastelaria Paço Real, Rua da Conceição.

They have a lovely Caminho stamp, of a sardine, which is maybe the closest we get to the national symbol of Portugal (or at least it’s a close competition with the Barcelos rooster). It is a family-run place that does all their own cooking, and I first learned about it when @amsimoes took a bunch of us there years ago.

But I agree with others that it is hard to find a bad pastel de nata in Portugal, at least if you go into a pastelaria with homemade products.

Edited by me to correct my many mistakes in translation.

Last edited:
The most famous place I know of to get Pasteis de Nata is in Belém,
Any mention of the place in Belém reminds me of the debate about whether pasteis de nata are better served hot or room temp. And also I’m reminded that there’s a great video that shows the non-secretive parts of making these pastries, still a lot done by hand.

Just a wee note. I recently found out that the actual start of the Camino Portuguese is at the Igreja de Santiago, Church of Santiago, a few hundred metres north of the Se de Lisbon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just a wee note. I recently found out that the actual start of the Camino Portuguese is at the Igreja de Santiago, Church of Santiago, a few hundred metres north of the Se de Lisbon.
The church has declared its status as the official starting point, though there is another church somewhere closer to the port that has also made some noise about being an official starting point, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s nice to start there, though. The church’s full name is Igreja de São Tiago e São Martinho, and there is a sign declaring the spot as the official “starting point.” I think I remember that there is one arrow painted in front of the church, and then nothing to take you from the church to the Cathedral. But the cathedral is very easy to find, just walk down the main street with tram tracks and past an iconic viewing spot/miradouro. But I wouldn’t feel bad about starting at the Cathedral.

I think I once got a stamp in the Santiago church, but my memory is that the hours are extremely unpredictable.

The church has declared its status as the official starting point, though there is another church somewhere closer to the port that has also made some noise about being an official starting point, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s nice to start there, though. The church’s full name is Igreja de São Tiago e São Martinho, and there is a sign declaring the spot as the official “starting point.” I think I remember that there is one arrow painted in front of the church, and then nothing to take you from the church to the Cathedral. But the cathedral is very easy to find, just walk down the main street with tram tracks and past an iconic viewing spot/miradouro. But I wouldn’t feel bad about starting at the Cathedral.

I think I once got a stamp in the Santiago church, but my memory is that the hours are extremely unpredictable.
I remember having trouble finding the arrows at the church. If memory serves me correctly there was a small arrow painted on the bottom stone to the right of the church on the downhill street. I know there are two churches. I just don't remember which church I started from. It was also 20187 so that is pretty old news for the Camino arrows. There were a few cafes nearby if I remember also.

As someone who lives in Portugal, I've gotten somewhat blasé about Pastel de Nata. When I want one, I can get a good one from virtually any pastry shop, or any grocery store that has a bakery. I wouldn't worry too much about it, although David Tallan is correct that the most famous place is in Belém: https://pasteisdebelem.pt/

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They have a lovely Caminho stamp, of a peacock (paço real is peacock in Portuguese). It’s a “hole in the wall” place that does all their own cooking, and I first learned about it when @amsimoes took a bunch of us there years ago.
I have just asked my camigo Aurelio (as mentioned by Laurie above) who lives in Lisbon, and this is his response:

…There are currently three good custard tart factories on Rua Augusta. My favorite is the Manteigaria. Located on the right side of the street going downhill (towards the Tagus River). There is Nata Lisboa and Fábrica da Nata. In addition to the Paço Real on Rua da Conceição, which belongs to my friend Carlos, who even has a stamp of the caminho designed by me. The Pilgrim Sardine.

When I was in Lisbon, I recalled seeing them sold almost everywhere I walked. Nice to hear of where one can find the best ones available.😋

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One place that is close to the Cathedral, in the Baixa area just before heading up the few blocks to the cathedral, is Pastelaria Paço Real, Rua da Conceição.

They have a lovely Caminho stamp, of a peacock (paço real is peacock in Portuguese). It’s a “hole in the wall” place that does all their own cooking, and I first learned about it when @amsimoes took a bunch of us there years ago.

But I agree with others that it is hard to find a bad pastel de nata in Portugal, at least if you go into a pastelaria with homemade products.
Peacock in Portuguese is pavão.
Paço Real refers to a building, the house of important people/institutions; something like 'royal palace'

Peacock in Portuguese is pavão.
Paço Real refers to a building, the house of important people/institutions; something like 'royal palace'
Oh, my, so many linguistic blunders. I guess I assumed that because pavo real is peacock in Spanish. Thank you for straightening me out — back to my older posts for more corrections!

Thank you
If you have time pop down to the Mercado da Ribeira (Time Out Market) they have wonderful Pastel de Nata
WARNING you won't be able to stop at 1

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back