• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a supported coastal walk when starting out of Lisbon?

eli

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from St JPdP 2004
Camino Frances from Burgos 2010
Camino Via de la Plata from Merida 2011
Camino Portuguese from Lisbon (2014)
European Peace Walk (2016)
Way of St Francis - Florence to Rome (2016)
Hi all,
Apologies if this has aready been covered but....is there a way of following the coast up from Lisbon using waymarkers and staying at albergies or is the coastalwalk only available as a supported option further up on the northern section after Oporto? So far, the conversation threads that I've read only seem to refer to the latter sections.....

Any advise is appreciated, as I'm just starting to sort out the wheres and how of this walk which I'll be starting in early May. And yes, I know no matter how much research goes into it beforehand, the Camino will still take its own course :).

Thanks, eli

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know of no supported camino as such but there is a very beautiful remote coastal walk (not a camino) south of Lisbon spanning 350 k from Santiago do Cacém to Cabo St Vincent, west of Lagos. Known as the Rota Vicentina this is a recent endeavor to open the Alentejo region for eco-tourism.

MM

I have in the back of my mind a vague memory that someone on the forum in the last two years walked from Lisbon north on the coast, which would mean heading west from Lisbon to the sea at Cascais and then going north, but a quick search hasn´t picked up anything. I know that there are several coastal walks in that area hugging the coast because I've done a few of them, but I don't know how far north they go and where they connect with the Caminho.

I also echo Margaret's mention of the Rota Vicentina. I know some people who have walked it (there's a coastal option and a non-coastal option). The trail ends at Santiago do Cacém, though, which is about 90 miles from Lisbon. I imagine it´s not too far fetched to envision that someday there will be an unbroken trail from the Cabo Sao Vicente to Santiago, but there´s nothing that I know of now between Santiago do Cacém and Lisbon. There would be two options of how to walk it -- keep heading north onto the peninsula of Troia, then take a ferry across to Setubal and somehow get up to Lisbon. Or stay east and skirt Lisbon, crossing the river Tejo at a point north. But I don´t know of any markings on either route.

Let us know what you wind up doing. Bom caminho, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The only signaled Coastal Route for the Portuguese Caminho, goes out from Porto.

The markings for the Portuguese Caminho goes directly both with the description from a 15th/16th century monk, that went from Lisbon to Santiago, and also with the tracks of the XIX Roman Road.

Rota Vicentina it’s also part of the Caminho, has the “end” of it it’s located in Santiago do Cacém, a city that has a beautiful St. James church.

Some say that the Caminho in Portugal goes from Lagos, all up until Lisbon, Lisbon to Porto, and Porto to Santiago.

The best thing for you to do, if you really want to do only coastal walking, it’s to contact somebody from the post that Laurie (@peregrina2000) showed.

Just pay attention to one thing: for what I remember, prepare for a lot of road walking, and if you are going to do it, take a GPS with you, since there isn’t’ in there any kind of markings (or probably, you will find some, but only in big cities, just like Torres Vedras).

You can always contact Via Lusitana, the Portuguese pilgrims association, to know if they know something about it. You can find their website in http://www.vialusitana.org/

All the best for your Caminho.

Best Regards
Diogo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thankyou all for your replies. The link that you found Laurie was indeed the one I vaguely recalled having read "somewhere" but there is just so much wonderful information available. To date I have only been skim reading but as of tomorrow I will start note taking into the margins of the John Brierly book I bought some years ago when first planning this walk. I bought it right after returning from a wonderful experience on the Via de la plata where i was tempted to "cut across" onto the Portuguese route from Salamanca. That was at the same time that the volcano in Iceland caused travel chaos across Europe and decided to just keep quietly walking northwards. Anyway, the book is a few years old but with the addition of these notes from the forum, should be good.

"The markings for the Portuguese Caminho goes directly both with the description from a 15th/16th century monk, that went from Lisbon to Santiago, and also with the tracks of the XIX Roman Road" - Thankyou Diogo for this information too. It has decided me on simply walking along the marked "traditional" route. I will have no mobile phone much less GPS. Wanting to keep things simple as well as light!

Thankyou all for your replies. The link that you found Laurie was indeed the one I vaguely recalled having read "somewhere" but there is just so much wonderful information available. To date I have only been skim reading but as of tomorrow I will start note taking into the margins of the John Brierly book I bought some years ago when first planning this walk. I bought it right after returning from a wonderful experience on the Via de la plata where i was tempted to "cut across" onto the Portuguese route from Salamanca. That was at the same time that the volcano in Iceland caused travel chaos across Europe and decided to just keep quietly walking northwards. Anyway, the book is a few years old but with the addition of these notes from the forum, should be good.

"The markings for the Portuguese Caminho goes directly both with the description from a 15th/16th century monk, that went from Lisbon to Santiago, and also with the tracks of the XIX Roman Road" - Thankyou Diogo for this information too. It has decided me on simply walking along the marked "traditional" route. I will have no mobile phone much less GPS. Wanting to keep things simple as well as light!

You're welcome. Just be safe out there :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back