• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a train from Madrid to Astorga?

jrm

I guess the title says it all. Traveling from the US and land in Madrid at 9:15pm on Monday, the 4th of May. Trying to figure out how to get to Astorga from there. I prefer either a late train that night, or an early one the next morning. I keep getting errors on Renfe's site. Any advice?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Your travel date is too far out to get a time, but currently there are three trains per day from Madrid to Astorga, 0912, 1012, and 1705.

There is an overnight bus from T-4 at the Madrid airport that leaves at 2359 and arrives in Astorga at 0415.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess the title says it all. Traveling from the US and land in Madrid at 9:15pm on Monday, the 4th of May. Trying to figure out how to get to Astorga from there. I prefer either a late train that night, or an early one the next morning. I keep getting errors on Renfe's site. Any advice?

The Renfe Schedule will likely not be available until 3 or 4 weeks in advance of the date of travel. Last year someone wanted the schedule for the trenhotel from Santiago to Madrid and it was not available more than 3 weeks prior to the date of travel. You can make a reasonable plan on trains running at this time of year ... if there are changes it will be to add more trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your travel date is too far out to get a time, but currently there are three trains per day from Madrid to Astorga, 0912, 1012, and 1705.

The 0912 option involves a change of trains in Palencia with a 55 minutes transit time between trains. There are other options available changing trains.

There's a direct train (daily except Saturdays) departing from Madrid (Chamartín station) at 22:30 and arriving to Astorga at 03:51 (a.m.) but there are rumours saying that train might be discontinued in the future so, as the schedule for May isn't known yet, there's no guarantee that option will be still available then. The other two direct trains (departing at 10:12 -a.m.- and 17:05, respectively) are much more unlikely to be discontinued and will probably run with their current schedule although, of course, you'll have to wait till the schedule for your travel date is published to know for sure as (minor) changes on the schedules might happen on any train.

The direct bus from the airport departing at 23:59 would be a better option than the 22:30 (don't forget to factor in a possible delay on your flight, the time it takes to get from the airport to Chamartín station...) but the arrival time of both of them might be something to think about (i.e.: what would you do in Astorga at those hours?). If you don't like those arrival times, the daily 08:00 a.m. bus from Madrid (Estación Sur de Autobuses) to Astorga would be a good option to consider.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just what you do with yourself in Astorga at 4.15 a.m. is anybody's guess!
Start walking? ;)

Last year I was the last pilgrim leaving albergue in El Ganso at 9AM, sitting on a bench, putting my boots on and there came a man, Spaniard, who told me he came with that overnight bus from Madrid and just start to walk.

Start walking? ;)

Last year I was the last pilgrim leaving albergue in El Ganso at 9AM, sitting on a bench, putting my boots on and there came a man, Spaniard, who told me he came with that overnight bus from Madrid and just start to walk.

Nothing like starting your camino by wandering several miles in the dark while lost and in the wrong direction. Just think of the stories you could regale us with ...

Start walking? ;)

If you aren't tired, if you are able to walk in the darkness without getting lost (or if you are fine getting lost in the darkness), if you don't bother to miss the scenery, if jet-lag isn't a problem for you, if... well, to sum it up, if you are like that Spaniard, you could consider that option. Otherwise, think about other options. BTW, weather conditions could make a difference too...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you aren't tired, if you are able to walk in the darkness without getting lost (or if you are fine getting lost in the darkness), if you don't bother to miss the scenery, if jet-lag isn't a problem for you, if... well, to sum it up, if you are like that Spaniard, you could consider that option. Otherwise, think about other options.
I won't but maybe the OP will ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
BUT if you are equipped with Technology, you don't need maps or yellow arrows or directions! You are empowered to go anywhere you want, whenever you want, and everything works for you. You don't even have to know where you are going... the little screen tells you when to turn left or right, how far to the next stop, and when the next bus is due! No thinking required!

BUT if you are equipped with Technology, you don't need maps or yellow arrows or directions! You are empowered to go anywhere you want, whenever you want, and everything works for you. You don't even have to know where you are going... the little screen tells you when to turn left or right, how far to the next stop, and when the next bus is due! No thinking required!

Until the battery stops providing power ... which is why I remain a luddite.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd be tempted to start walking at 3:15. Ha! Perhaps then taking a train/bus the next morning would be the best way to go. Which is usually faster? We'll have to get to Astorga and start walking that day, so the earlier the better! So an 8am bus or a 10:12 train...

I'd be tempted to start walking at 3:15. Ha! Perhaps then taking a train/bus the next morning would be the best way to go. Which is usually faster? We'll have to get to Astorga and start walking that day, so the earlier the better! So an 8am bus or a 10:12 train...
If expense is a consideration, you can avoid a hotel in Madrid by sleeping on the bus, more of a nap actually. On arrival, rest until dawn, see some of Astorga, and walk to Santa Catalina (9.2 km). There are two great albergues there (and a couple of others).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If expense is a consideration, you can avoid a hotel in Madrid by sleeping on the bus, more of a nap actually. On arrival, rest until dawn, see some of Astorga, and walk to Santa Catalina (9.2 km). There are two great albergues there (and a couple of others).
My favorite spot in Santa Catalina is the private Albergue San Blas over a bar/resto.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-hospederia-san-blas. Bunks are 5 euros and you can check in at 10am.

Which is usually faster? We'll have to get to Astorga and start walking that day, so the earlier the better! So an 8am bus or a 10:12 train...

Train is quicker but it departs much later than the bus so you'll arrive earlier with the bus.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The bus sounds good to me then! So, an 8am bus sounds like the ticket. Is there only one main bus station in Madrid? Do I need to buy my tickets online, or is it best to just get them there in person (my Spanish is likely to be a stumbling block)?

The bus sounds good to me then! So, an 8am bus sounds like the ticket. Is there only one main bus station in Madrid? Do I need to buy my tickets online, or is it best to just get them there in person (my Spanish is likely to be a stumbling block)?

There are several bus stations in Madrid.

ALSA buses from Madrid to Astorga leave from Estacion Sur and from T4 Madrid Airport. Service is more frequent from Estacion Sur.

You can purchase tickets online or in person. Sometimes there are deals available online but otherwise there is usually a seat available so in the interest of flexibility you might be better off waiting till you get to the station to purchase a ticket. An exception is holidays ... in which case its best to get a ticket in advance.

2012 Madrid Airport to Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid

a. Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid is located near the Méndez Álvaro Metro Station. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; line 9 to Avenida de America; and, line 6 to Méndez Álvaro. Exit the Metro to find the bus station.

b. Take Renfe Cercanias train from T4 Barajas airport to Méndez Álvaro.

ALSA
http://www.alsa.es/

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, since there are a few of us traveling perhaps it will be best to get the tickets in advance.

As an aside, I'll keep an eye on renfe as well. I've never been able to have it give me a succesful response for a ticket/timetable request regardless of if I am looking or a ticket next week, or in a few months. Frustrating.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, since there are a few of us traveling perhaps it will be best to get the tickets in advance.

As an aside, I'll keep an eye on renfe as well. I've never been able to have it give me a succesful response for a ticket/timetable request regardless of if I am looking or a ticket next week, or in a few months. Frustrating.

Is this a problem with finding a schedule or with purchasing a ticket? There are a lot of complaints here by US travelers trying to buy a ticket from Renfe online. I don't know but I think the problem is the website wants to 'see' your credit card. My understanding is in Europe people have a card chip reader connected to their computers while here we get by with entering the 3 digit number inscribed on the back of the card.

Is this a problem with finding a schedule or with purchasing a ticket? There are a lot of complaints here by US travelers trying to buy a ticket from Renfe online. I don't know but I think the problem is the website wants to 'see' your credit card. My understanding is in Europe people have a card chip reader connected to their computers while here we get by with entering the 3 digit number inscribed on the back of the card.

I'm having a problem with both I think. When I put in my dates and my starting point/destination I get an error page, no matter if that is for a date in May, or a date at the beginning of February.

Try following the steps quoted on the link I'm going to provide you and if they don't work try one of the alternatives quoted on the same link. Extra tip: use Internet Explorer as browser.

http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com

P.S.: If you had any problem to book the bus tickets on the web of Alsa, you can try the web of Movelia as an alternative.

http://www.movelia.es

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back