• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there any reason why I need more than 2 outfits?

S

sjf

I'm putting together my packing list for a short (6 days) October Camino. If I wear an outfit and pack an outfit, do I need anything else? I'll wash clothes every evening and let them dry over the next 24 hours.

Are there any circumstances where I might need an additional outfit? I'm planning on tech fabrics so they should dry overnight, and I'll keep them in waterproof bags under a waterproof cover, just in case it rains, but maybe this is not enough?

Also, for churches. It'll be October and I will have the ability to cover my knees and shoulders. Do I need enything else?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, sjf, welcome to the forum!

I think two outfits are all you need. You might not get your clothes totally dry in October, depending on the temperatures. But a Spanish army captain taught me that the best way to finish drying your clothes is to put them on. Not if they are soaking wet of course! This year I developed a strong affection for one pair of socks over the other. They were sometimes a bit damp at night. I just wore them to dinner, and sure enough, they were dry by the time I got back. More sensible people would probably just carry more socks. I also think it's not a bad idea to have three pairs of socks for those occasional days of endless rain when nothing will dry, but as far as the other stuff, you should be fine with two of each. Wear one carry one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks. I was planning on the shower/put on clean clothes/wash dirty clothes/sleep in " clean clothes" routine, but I'll try it out at home and may pack one very lightweight sleep tee as well. And I will definitely plan for an extra pair of socks (and maybe an extra long-sleeved tee in case I get completely soaked one day).

Much appreciated!

I don't sleep well in my hiking clothes, tried it at home and on one hiking trip. I've packed a light weight caftan if it is warm and a fleece top / leggings if it is cold. The leggings + fleece, I can wear under my hiking clothes as well. We will walk Sept to the end of Oct.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I think two outfits are all you need. You might not get your clothes totally dry in October, depending on the temperatures. But a Spanish army captain taught me that the best way to finish drying your clothes is to put them on. Not if they are soaking wet of course! This year I developed a strong affection for one pair of socks over the other. They were sometimes a bit damp at night. I just wore them to dinner, and sure enough, they were dry by the time I got back. More sensible people would probably just carry more socks. I also think it's not a bad idea to have three pairs of socks for those occasional days of endless rain when nothing will dry, but as far as the other stuff, you should be fine with two of each. Wear one carry one.
Or as my Basque friend puts it: "Quita y pon", meaning 2 outfits will do!

I prefer to take 3 pr socks, too, although I've rarely needed them. Hey, I sure would like to know the brand of socks you had "a strong affection" for on your recent Camino! With approx 17 Caminos to your name, I will be ready to rush out and purchase whatever sock is your recommendation! :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks. I was planning on the shower/put on clean clothes/wash dirty clothes/sleep in " clean clothes" routine, but I'll try it out at home and may pack one very lightweight sleep tee as well. And I will definitely plan for an extra pair of socks (and maybe an extra long-sleeved tee in case I get completely soaked one day).

Much appreciated!
I slept in my underwear and the t-shirt (REI Tech T shirts are super light and soft) I was walking in the next day. Pretty much what everyone else did. I took 3 pair of socks. Changed them once through the day and then I still had a dry set for the evening/next morning.

Last edited:
I'm putting together my packing list for a short (6 days) October Camino. If I wear an outfit and pack an outfit, do I need anything else? I'll wash clothes every evening and let them dry over the next 24 hours.

Are there any circumstances where I might need an additional outfit? I'm planning on tech fabrics so they should dry overnight, and I'll keep them in waterproof bags under a waterproof cover, just in case it rains, but maybe this is not enough?

Also, for churches. It'll be October and I will have the ability to cover my knees and shoulders. Do I need enything else?
My clothes were in ultra sil stuff sacks that were not waterproof and I didn't have a liner in my Osprey pack. The pack itself is pretty water resistant. The pack cover alone was enough to keep everything dry inside. Even in a downpour. Just be careful of the bottom sleeping bag compartment. That will seep through if you place it in a puddle of water since the cover tends to slip off the bottom when you set it down.
I assume you are doing the Frances route. Which section?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer to take 3 pr socks, too, although I've rarely needed them. Hey, I sure would like to know the brand of socks you had "a strong affection" for on your recent Camino! With approx 17 Caminos to your name, I will be ready to rush out and purchase whatever sock is your recommendation! :D
Hi, Chris,
The day before my trip, I realized I needed a pair of socks and ran to my local outdoor store. There wasn't much choice, but the clerk told me that I really should try FITS. This a company made up of a group of people who used to work with Smartwool, but left when Smartwool lowered its standards and started outsourcing (I had noticed a decline in Smartwool a few years ago, so I was a willing purchaser). I did really love them -- great cushion without being thick. So I basically wore them almost every day on this camino and have no complaints so far! Don't mean to hijack the thread!

Hi, Chris,
The day before my trip, I realized I needed a pair of socks and ran to my local outdoor store. There wasn't much choice, but the clerk told me that I really should try FITS. This a company made up of a group of people who used to work with Smartwool, but left when Smartwool lowered its standards and started outsourcing (I had noticed a decline in Smartwool a few years ago, so I was a willing purchaser). I did really love them -- great cushion without being thick. So I basically wore them almost every day on this camino and have no complaints so far! Don't mean to hijack the thread!
Thank you, Laurie, I will look for them, either locally or online.

Short answer - no.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First camino teeshirt and undies. I'm way too old to be prancing around in me undies so was never totally comfortable especially on hot nights when it was too warm to use a sleeping bag. Nights in albergues can often be hot because of the number of bodies and closed windows. Also getting up at night to go to the loo meant finding something to wrap around me. This last time I took a silk teeshirt and a pair of silk shorts to sleep in. Ultralight combo. No heavier than a tech teeshirt. Natural fibres. Dried quickly. Absolutely loved them.

Two outfits are fine. Wear one, wash one.
But for me, the few extra ounces of a pair of comfy flannel pj's is worth it.
If I don't get a good night's sleep don't talk to me. Don't ask me questions. Don't comment on the bags under my eyes.
I also do this for the well being of my fellow pilgrims in the Albergue.
No one, not even my stupid cat, wants to see me in a tee shirt and undies getting up in the middle of the night to use the loo.
You looked? Oh, here's a nightmare for you. Peeked? I saw you. Nightmare for you too.
It's the total opposite of the Dr. Who Weeping Angels.
I pity the fool ( said in my best Mr. T voice)

The more Caminos I do the less I wash, usually wearing my top, leggings and socks for 2+ days before washing.

The last few years I have also brought a cotton t-shirt to sleep in, way nicer than a tech one. Another alternative would be a light merino wool t-shirt which does not retain odors.

Glad I brought 3 pairs of socks and undies this past Camino as one pair got holes and I lost 1 pair of underwear!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a walking outfit and an evening/sleep one, plus appropriate additional layers for weather. I only wash socks and undies daily (and a base layer sleeveless top if it gets sweaty).

My late autumn/winter tenu de soirée for bed/bunk chic included a wooly hat with ear flaps. The effect was a cross between Goldylocks grandma and the wicked witch of the west; nevertheless it was always a toasty topping for sleeping in any unheated albergue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We walked for 35 days with a wear on and carry one. I travel that way every trip. We are going to Poland in 3 weeks and we always use our ruck sacks. Did a practice pack the other night for a total of 8 lbs. for 3 weeks, pack included. My heaviest items is my prescription meds.

I walked in early Spring, and brought two outfits. I wore one, carried one. But... one pair of slacks were lined with micro fleece and the others unlined and light and could zip off into shorts. So I ended up wearing the warm outfit in the morning and then changing as the day grew warmer. -- For layers up top, I had a camisole, a wicking walking shirt (light), a fleece pull over, a fleece jacket and a rain jacket. On sunny afternoons walking uphill I'd strip down to the camisole, in snow and sleet I was glad to have everything on. :)

Two outfits, especially for six days is more than enough.
Buen camino.

I had two outfits, but one for day and one for evening and it worked really well. I would get to the end of my walking day, have a shower and change into my "evening clothes". They hardly ever needed washing, as I only wore them for a couple of hours at a time and for a short camino they wouldn't need to at all. My day clothes I only needed to wash occasionally, and in October that will be the same for you - you won't get very sweaty and stinky because the weather will be so cool. (I have always walked caminos in cool/ cold weather). You might not need to wash at all, or only once. (I did wear ultrafine merino which has a natural anti-smell quality, and that probably helped spread out the washing times).

I'm with Magnara on this one.

Over a six day walk I'd not be washing my evening wear as it's only on for a short
period of time.

Unless it was really warm I'd probably not bother washing the walking clothes every day
either. Always remember, there's clean and then there's Camino clean :D

I had two outfits, but one for day and one for evening and it worked really well. I would get to the end of my walking day, have a shower and change into my "evening clothes". They hardly ever needed washing, as I only wore them for a couple of hours at a time and for a short camino they wouldn't need to at all. My day clothes I only needed to wash occasionally, and in October that will be the same for you - you won't get very sweaty and stinky because the weather will be so cool. (I have always walked caminos in cool/ cold weather). You might not need to wash at all, or only once. (I did wear ultrafine merino which has a natural anti-smell quality, and that probably helped spread out the washing times).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Magnara
Would you mind listing the gear you took for October? I'm finalising my gear and it will largely be merino too. I will be away walking various routes for around 50 days from 24 September until 12 November and really want to stay as light as possible.
Thanks

I only took 2 outfits and it was enough and I was on the Camino for 3 weeks.

Absolutely NOT!

But remember bandages for blisters, haha.

Have a good one!

You will be fine. I wear one set of outer clothes, pack one other set. For longer walks, I take two changes of undergarments and socks, just so I can go two days without washing (I never washed my outer clothes every day).

2 outfits are sufficient IMO. I walked the Camino Frances and Finisterre May/June this year. For 45 days I wore one outfit and carried the second. When it was cool, sometimes I wore an outfit 2 days before washing. If it was dirty or sweaty, I washed the outfit at night while wearing the second overnight. If my wash wasn't completely dry in the evening, I swapped clothes and wore the damp ones over night and by the next day they were dry for walking. This way I could pack my dry outfit at night and be ready to go in the morning without a lot of rustling. Don't ever put the damp ones inside your pack or they will spoil. My wife found that pinning the damp ones on the outside while walking usually got them dry for her. She used large safety pins ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050ZAYHY/?tag=casaivar02-20 ) that I got from Amazon. I didn't have any issues with slightly damp clothes overnight or blisters the next day from wet socks. All of my clothes were wool or tech fabrics.

I agree, three pairs (or six socks if you prefer) that way if/when you lose a sock you still have 10 pair(ings) to choose from.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Magnara
Would you mind listing the gear you took for October? I'm finalising my gear and it will largely be merino too. I will be away walking various routes for around 50 days from 24 September until 12 November and really want to stay as light as possible.
Thanks

Here 'tis. Hope it helps.

You will need to personally carry some of the “Theirs” items if you are walking alone. We were able to share them. Water weighs 1 kg per litre.

I washed socks every night, but probably wouldn't next camino, I'd just give them a rub to fluff them up again.

I carried:
Aarn Featherlite 35 litre Freedom backpack (it's a NZ brand)
Sleeping bag
Silk long johns and top (for pyjamas and occasional extra warmth), 1 set (NZNature Co brand)
Ultra fine merino:
- single weight slacks, 2 pairs (I have now changed to Nike walking pants)
- undies, 2 pairs (cotton is very slow to dry, use merino or synthetic)
- Long sleeved t-shirts, 2
Bridgedale wool hiking socks, 4 pairs (I wore two pairs each day, changed at lunchtime, washed them at night)
Anklet stocking sox, 2 pairs (worn with a first layer of vaseline against the skin then these then socks on top – no blisters ever on 3 caminos
1 bra
Reading glasses and lightweight case
Sunglasses (not used)
Headlamp
Polar Fleece headband
Sleeveless Polar Fleece shell
Goretex 2 layer jacket
Goretex waterproof caving gloves (good for holding trekking poles)
Akubra hat (Aussie version of a stetson and therefore good in both rain and sun)
Waterproof breathable overpants
Short gaiters
2 Trekking poles
Very light shoe horn
Hiking boots
Running shoes (only used in the evening, to give my feet a rest)
In small containers (I have since heard of people using ziplock mini-sandwich bags, probably a good option):
- Moisturiser, Face cleanser, All purpose detergent (mostly you use the soap from where you are staying to wash your clothes so you don’t need much – one sachet)
Small toothbrush
Small microfibre towel (I regretted not taking a medium sized one)
Tissues
Cotton buds
1 tiny, thin washcloth ( the type that dentists give you to wipe your face)
2 nappy (diaper) pins
Sponge bag (drawstring plastic bag to hold bathroom items)
Deodorant
Nurofen, Antihistamine
Vaseline
lip salve
tweezers
emery board
notebook and ballpoint pen
Small digital camera ( now would just take a phone)
In an inside pocket of my jacket: emergency money, one credit card, info on bank accounts, credit card cancellation info, list of credit cards carried, travel insurance info, flight info

We split this: (he carried 3kg more weight, mostly water, so used balance packs in front)
Collapsible 2.5 litre water bottle (Platypus brand)
Chargers for MP3 player, camera, phone , Adaptor plug, Swiss army knife
Hotel sewing kit
Twisted elastic travel clothesline
Half a tube of child size toothpaste
Bandaids and Compeeds
Antibiotic cream
Anti-diarrhoea medicine
Anti-cramping medicine
Gel heel inserts in case of heel spurs
Food for the day , usually including chocolate, bread, cheese, wine
Superlight 2 forks, knives, spoons Sea to Summit brand)
John Brierley guide book (not essential but recommended)

For your sanity? hahaha! If you make sure your two outfits are mix and match, you can get what 'appears' to be more than two outfits out of them. I threw in an extra microfiber shirt and pareo and my tank top and shorts for sleeping played into that scheme also. My pack was under 14lbs. You get kinda tired of the same clothes and you will become an expert at changing things up if you are going to be walking over 30 days!

Men’s microfiber underwear state that they can be worn for several days, resistant to bacteria. At a pilgrim dinner on El Norte in 2015, everyone was sharing physical conditioning, grooming, medical supply, and clothing information.
I kiddingly mentioned I wear the underwear a few days then put them on my friend’s pillow after he goes to sleep. If he doesn’t wake up, they’re good for another day. He doesn’t talk to me any more. Tales from the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.