• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there anywhere we can share foods in Camino? Like you cooked too much.

Time of past OR future Camino
Going for Camino walk this Nov.
In the small country where I live where there is only one city, we have app that people can share foods and stuffs. I always cooked too much in my camino trips being vegetarian and unable to find foods on winter. I do not know who to share the foods. People in the albergue who eat meats just don't want my foods. So I end up throwing away where I really put lots of good and healthy ingredients. Like now in Muxia, I cooked too much fresh tomatoes pastas (assorted veges type) with fresh green vegetables.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seriously, I cooked twice in both Albergues and I just cooked way too much. I offered to so many poeple and it was really clean as I just took small portion on my plate. The rest is in the wok or I put in a clean bowl. But no one wants to eat. I am a vegetarian, no one is interested to eat my vegetarian food. :) it is like button mushrooms soup, vegetables pasta.

It could have been that they had already purchased their own food. In my experience when pilgrims cook together in albergues it's usually some sort of vegetarian pasta dish.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my experience as a hospitalera, just cover it and leave it in the refrigerator. You can put a note on it "Free for pilgrims; Please enjoy!" and someone will eat it. If it is in there too many days, the hospitalera will dispose of it properly. Honestly I have seen pilgrims eat most things that are left over although in the winter there are not as many pilgrims to share the bounty. Usually someone may eat it the next day when they arrive since meals are not served until quite late in Spain and non-Spanish pilgrims are usually hungry before the regular Spanish dinner hour.

Usually nothing made it past 24 hours in the refrigerator (even in the winter) especially if it was labeled for common consumption.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have made too much food with good and healthy ingredients, surely you can eat it the next day for breakfast and lunch?
Thanks all for sharing the ideas. I think the lesson is just should not cook too much. As you may know, most albergue require guests to check out by 8am and everyone would want to walk early. Having it as breakfast and lunch seem don't seem to make sense unless it is something dry. Anyway, noted. Thanks. It is good to know what most foods will be eaten if left in fridge. Very happy to know that. Because sometimes I only use 2 eggs and I bought 10 eggs. Good to know it won't be thrown away. All is good. For cooked foods, personal opinion I think it is better to throw away if not eaten in 1 hour. It may cause foods positioning etc due to poor handling etc. It can be quite a mess when the albergues are packed and some people are cooking big feast and other people are queuing to use kitchen. Anyway, I think what makes sense in one place may not make sense in other place due to culture, circumstances, convenience etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my experience as a hospitalera, just cover it and leave it in the refrigerator. You can put a note on it "Free for pilgrims; Please enjoy!" and someone will eat it.
Great idea, and, I would add the date when it was made to the label.

I finished walking the VDLP earlier this month and was so disappointed to see that several albergues had beautiful kitchens, but without cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery. Is this a new trend? It would have been so good to be able to make a meal, especially in places where there were no nearby restaurants. Sorry - I’m branching off the subject here. Hope you don’t mind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I finished walking the VDLP earlier this month and was so disappointed to see that several albergues had beautiful kitchens, but without cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery. Is this a new trend? It would have been so good to be able to make a meal, especially in places where there were no nearby restaurants. Sorry - I’m branching off the subject here. Hope you don’t mind.
Yes, there was a thread on this a while back. Basically the Xunta albergues don't have anything in the wonderful kitchens and have not for several years. Not sure about other places. Some blamed pilgrims for the lack of tools and some blamed Covid.

...kitchens, but without cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery. Is this a new trend?
there was a thread on this a while back. B
It has been true for years for the newer junta albergues in Galicia. Elsewhere, the situation was variable, and Covid measures complicated things. For further discussion, try putting "kitchen utensils" into the search feature. Here are a couple of threads to start: one about the Camino Frances, another about the Portuguese, and another focusing on the Sanabres.

Thanks, I didn’t see the other threads ( but now have!). I hadn’t noticed before, probably because there were so many places to eat on the Francés route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a non-vegetarian, but for a period in Paris, I used to be invited to parties specifically for my ability to a) make the kind of veggie food that carnivores enjoy too, but especially b) my ability to prepare two separate versions of the same dish, one veggie the other with meat, and tasting almost identical.

The easiest way to do this is make a veggie pasta with enough onions, garlic, and olive oil, and strong enough tomatoes, or better some rendered peppers, and prepare a separate bowl of grated cheese for those who want it.

Carnivores generally dislike such replacement stuff as tofu and so on, and you will not attract people to your food preparation by using it. Sorry, but just how it is.

If you make veggie food in Europe, stick as close as possible to the traditional vegetable dishes of the West, and you'll have better success.

Because sometimes I only use 2 eggs and I bought 10 eggs.

When I was in this situation before, I made omelette for breakfast the next day, with some of the veggies from the previous night, and the plain leftover spaghetti I decided to add on top of the omelette 😂 the rest of the eggs I boiled, and boiled eggs and cheese make such yummy lunch. And then I saw Fuji (my dog) drooling next to my random leftover “gado-gado” meal, so she had the leftover of that too! Sometimes honestly, I think why I’m carrying her doggie food when she’s happy sharing my omelette.

For cooked foods, personal opinion I think it is better to throw away if not eaten in 1 hour. It may cause foods positioning etc due to poor handling etc.

I think food goes off in our tropical countries a lot more quickly because of the heat and humidity. I think if you put them in some Tupperware boxes and then in the fridge, they’d be okay! And cold pasta for lunch is okay too.

A0B2B39B-0AE3-4403-9E91-5C822E0AC7AD.jpeg9D5B9CC8-7BA6-4FC4-B239-44871874CC31.jpeg

Probably others had already eaten?
In the fridge is fine but as others have said, just date it.

Carnivores generally dislike such replacement stuff as tofu and so on, and you will not attract people to your food preparation by using it. Sorry, but just how it is.

If you make veggie food in Europe, stick as close as possible to the traditional vegetable dishes of the West
Not just carnivores.
Tofu is fine where it is 'native' and fresh. But highly processed fake meat is bad for health, bad for the planet, and bad tasting.
So amen to that last statement, @JabbaPapa
(I'm a vegetarian and have been since long before it got popular. Every cuisine has vegetarian food, and tasty ones.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I was in this situation before, I made omelette for breakfast the next day, with some of the veggies from the previous night, and the plain leftover spaghetti I decided to add on top of the omelette 😂 the rest of the eggs I boiled, and boiled eggs and cheese make such yummy lunch. And then I saw Fuji (my dog) drooling next to my random leftover “gado-gado” meal, so she had the leftover of that too! Sometimes honestly, I think why I’m carrying her doggie food when she’s happy sharing my omelette.

I think food goes off in our tropical countries a lot more quickly because of the heat and humidity. I think if you put them in some Tupperware boxes and then in the fridge, they’d be okay! And cold pasta for lunch is okay too.

View attachment 137629View attachment 137630
I always am happier after I have seen a photo of a dog!!! Hello, Fuji!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have been staying in an albergue, please ask the hospitalero before you leave left over or uneaten food in the fridge otherwise you are probably making extra work for someone who is already quite busy. Can I be a grouch and say 'don't cook too much'? Think before you cook and offer extra food before you cook it.

Me too.

Leave food in a ‘halls of residence’ fridge overnight; chance of it being there in the morning close to zero.

So back to your question, on a sample of one: ‘yes’.
Also US offices. Put something for your lunch in the fridge and the break room--and hope it is still there at lunch, let alone the next day. Scavengers.

I can honestly say as a hospitalera, if you leave it and there are enough pilgrims about someone will eat it. Especially if I say, "the pilgrims yesterday left this for today's pilgrims". I had one young girl who nearly gorged herself on leftover food until another pilgrim asked her to share. Not always cooked foods are left. Sometimes a half a melon or wine or bread/pastries or some extra pasta or rice or lentils uncooked.

Yes, I have pitched some things not labeled or improperly stored, but normally at least on the CF in high season it will be consumed. Especially if the hospitalera does a brief kitchen tour and points it out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have been staying in an albergue, please ask the hospitalero before you leave left over or uneaten food in the fridge otherwise you are probably making extra work for someone who is already quite busy. Can I be a grouch and say 'don't cook too much'? Think before you cook and offer extra food before you cook it.
The morning clean-up crew at the Xunta Albergue in Pontevedra, FWIW, when I was there this Autumn, just cleared out everything in the fridge and other leftovers to bin the lot, so I just grabbed whatever leftovers I wanted before heading out, secure in the knowledge that it was just hours old.

So situations vary a lot.

Also US offices. Put something for your lunch in the fridge and the break room--and hope it is still there at lunch, let alone the next day. Scavengers.
You are both talking about theft of someones food, a colleague, a fellow student, a friend. Without comment on that being wrong, the thread is about a random stranger leaving food behind for some unknown to eat. I would not eat it, or drink something left behind. Yes, it will probably be fine (barring possible food poisoning from undated "snacks") but why risk it?

In the small country where I live where there is only one city, we have app that people can share foods and stuffs. I always cooked too much in my camino trips being vegetarian and unable to find foods on winter. I do not know who to share the foods. People in the albergue who eat meats just don't want my foods. So I end up throwing away where I really put lots of good and healthy ingredients. Like now in Muxia, I cooked too much fresh tomatoes pastas (assorted veges type) with fresh green vegetables.
Cook less. I would never eat unknown leftovers in someone else's fridge. I'd rather skip dinner and wait for breakfast. It's bad enough to recover from food poisoning at home. It's not worth the risk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back