• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there demand for an alternative but integretated hostal/albergue in O Cebreiro?

Is there demand for another albergue/pension in O Cebreiro?

• Yes Definitely

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Not quite

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Absolutely Not

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • If you build it they will come

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Time of past OR future Camino
Eternal Now
Curious to know people's thoughts/experiences of staying in O Cebreiro, is there demand for another albergue/pension? Any other relevant information appreciated, I saw a story on here about a lady who ran one for a short while and then sold it, was it just not for her, anyone familiar with that story?
Gratitude,

(This isn't a money spinning scheme, my intention is to restore some old ruined properties as I would like a life of solitude, integration is a key component but I'm not afraid to be different either!)

Ryan

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know that neighborhood as well as anyone, one of my best friends lives up there, and I've long-term house-sat for her a few times.
O Cebreiro isn't just a major pilgrim stop, it's a tourist destination for people all 'round about. It's also a very tight-knit community of five or six families. There's a wonderful culture of art, architecture, music, and photography, mostly the work of two or three people... If they weren't there, it would be a total Camino Disneyland money-spinner. There's all the rancor, fellowship, jealousy, and small-mindedness you will find in any small town. Outsiders are tolerated if they bring tons of money, but you will forever be a foreigner. The splendidness is VERY seasonal! It is an isolated site, foggy, dark, damp, windy, wet, and practically abandoned for three months of the year, and when there's a big snow it's overrun with half the screaming kids of Ponferrada. In summer, well. You can see what it's like in high season! There IS a need for more pilgrim beds, but only for a very small window of time each season.
It is a fascinating town with a well-kept history. In 1958, a Gallego sociologist named Cunxiero sat down with some O Cebreiro boys and asked them about the historic church in the town. They knew there were monks there, a long time before... and that a miracle supposedly happened there. When he asked them about pilgrims, they didn't know what he was talking about. They did not know what that word meant!
Their grandchildren now run all those hotels, restaurants, and souvenir stands.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Loved the views at O'Cebreiro and the achievement of reaching the top. The tourist tat was unappealing and I was glad we walked on to the albergue at Fonfria .
One plus, the tourist souvenir shop sold postage stamps.

You beautiful infinit being you, what a lovely detailed reply, very insightful, Thankyou.
Yes my plan would be to specifically target that window of 6/7 months of the season, mid spring to mid Autumn and then close for winter. Do you think if I made my location a destination people would intentionally stop just to stay though?

I know that neighborhood as well as anyone, one of my best friends lives up there, and I've long-term house-sat for her a few times.
O Cebreiro isn't just a major pilgrim stop, it's a tourist destination for people all 'round about. It's also a very tight-knit community of five or six families. There's a wonderful culture of art, architecture, music, and photography, mostly the work of two or three people... If they weren't there, it would be a total Camino Disneyland money-spinner. There's all the rancor, fellowship, jealousy, and small-mindedness you will find in any small town. Outsiders are tolerated if they bring tons of money, but you will forever be a foreigner. The splendidness is VERY seasonal! It is an isolated site, foggy, dark, damp, windy, wet, and practically abandoned for three months of the year, and when there's a big snow it's overrun with half the screaming kids of Ponferrada. In summer, well. You can see what it's like in high season! There IS a need for more pilgrim beds, but only for a very small window of time each season.
It is a fascinating town with a well-kept history. In 1958, a Gallego sociologist named Cunxiero sat down with some O Cebreiro boys and asked them about the historic church in the town. They knew there were monks there, a long time before... and that a miracle supposedly happened there. When he asked them about pilgrims, they didn't know what he was talking about. They did not know what that word meant!
Their grandchildren now run all those hotels, restaurants, and souvenir stands.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So that's a yes then, you think people would stay at O Cebreiro if that was a high end albergue/pension there? Thankyou for your response

No it is not a yes! Some people might stay but hardly everyone. Those of us walking on a budget could not easily afford such a 'high end' spot. Furthermore any drastic change of tone/mood to this very special location might be heavily resented and thus ignored.

Last edited:
Loved the views at O'Cebreiro and the achievement of reaching the top. The tourist tat was unappealing and I was glad we walked on to the albergue at Fonfria .
One plus, the tourist souvenir shop sold postage stamps.
Would you have stayed though if there had been an alternative off the beaten track, away from the centre of O Cebreiro about 15 mins before?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No it is not a yes! Some people might stay but hardly everyone. Those of us walking on a budget could not easily afford such a 'high end' spot. Furthermore any drastic change of tone/mood to this very special location might be heavily resented and thus ignored.

When I say high end I just mean affordable prices but you get better quality for what you pay.. What do you mean by "tone/mood"? How would that be changed by offering another option?! Sure the local monopoly might be impacted which might not be appreciated but that's the nature of progress and evolution. A man just wants to serve god and live in alignment with the laws of nature whilst providing value to the lives of others, could anyone truly hate me for that? Who's doing the resenting?

Building an albergue or hostal is difficult in all of Spain. My guess is that in O Cebreiro it is impossible.

Thankyou for your response, I'm curious to learn why you think that. What reasons back up that thought? And why is it difficult?

(I'm-possible )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What reasons back up that thought? And why is it difficult?
A Spanish couple started an albergue in Villares de Orbigo, a village that is a bit of a dump, in the wife's family home that had been in the family for generations. Even though the village knew her and the family, getting permission was a year long process even for minimal renovations. Building codes become more onerous each year. An accessible bathroom alone will be tens of thousands of Euro, and you could expect inspectors to require a meter wide access and ramps to get to it, and even an elevator if beds were on a different floor. Doing something in a village as quaint and historic as O Cebreiro would be even more difficult. A huge sum of money might work, but there is little likelihood of recouping that money in a five month season of mostly tightwad pilgrims even if there was 100% occupancy during the season. It is unlikely that existing businesses would permit a restaurant or bar, so there likely would be no supplemental revenues.

A Spanish couple started an albergue in Villares de Orbigo, a village that is a bit of a dump, in the wife's family home that had been in the family for generations. Even though the village knew her and the family, getting permission was a year long process even for minimal renovations. Building codes become more onerous each year. An accessible bathroom alone will be tens of thousands of Euro, and you could expect inspectors to require a meter wide access and ramps to get to it, and even an elevator if beds were on a different floor. Doing something in a village as quaint and historic as O Cebreiro would be even more difficult. A huge sum of money might work, but there is little likelihood of recouping that money in a five month season of mostly tightwad pilgrims even if there was 100% occupancy during the season. It is unlikely that existing businesses would permit a restaurant or bar, so there likely would be no supplemental revenues.

I appreciate your response, Thankyou.
Good thing I'm not in the bar or restaurant business then, more of a self-catering kind of guy but I would sell locally grown/sourced produce. Still not seeing any actual obstacles here, also it wouldn't actually be in O Cebreiro but in the immediate area.

it wouldn't actually be in O Cebreiro but in the immediate area.
That would be the albergue/pension in Laguna de Castillo. It is a farm with renovations that has been there forever. It operates March through November because pilgrim revenues are just a supplement to farming. It opened in 2008 to take advantage of the upcoming Holy Year, and after watching increasing numbers of pilgrims traipse by. There was no cost for the land and building; just the renovations for rooms, the bar, and the restaurant. The probably make more money from pilgrims walking by than from pilgrims staying.

Pilgrims generally do not walk laterally from the route. They are in a minimalist attitude where 100 meters that is not in the direction of Santiago is considered miles out of the way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That would be the albergue/pension in Laguna de Castillo. It is a farm with renovations that has been there forever. It operates March through November because pilgrim revenues are just a supplement to farming. It opened in 2008 to take advantage of the upcoming Holy Year, and after watching increasing numbers of pilgrims traipse by. There was no cost for the land and building; just the renovations for rooms, the bar, and the restaurant. The probably make more money from pilgrims walking by than from pilgrims staying.

Pilgrims generally do not walk laterally from the route. They are in a minimalist attitude where 100 meters that is not in the direction of Santiago is considered miles out of the way!

Incorrect! The site I'm looking at is literally right next to the path and is around 15 minutes before you reach O Cebreiro. Farming would be a supplemental income for me too, based on a regenerative agriculture model with a Permaculture design.

For me it isn't about the revenue but about the cultural exchange, the value being added to those who would stay there, the knowledge gained and a boost of positive energy. Obviously it would have to be financially viable but it's not about getting rich. My home would be there too..

(quote of deleted post removed)

Thankyou for sharing your opinions and beliefs, I appreciate the feedback, I feel you have misjudged me however. Everyone serves in different ways in the best way they know how and I would hope in a way that makes them happy and fulfilled providing it does no harm to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[quote removed)

"The region of Galicia is located in the North West of Spain. It covers an area of 29 574 km2 of which 97.8% is rural. The region is home to 2.7 million people with a depopulation and progressive aging of the population in rural areas. The unemployment rate is 20.7%, among young people more than 45 %.

Of the total area, farmland covers less than one third and forestry more than two thirds. The percentage of forest area in private hands is almost 98% and only 10% has a management plan. 10% of Spanish forests are in Galicia.
The Galician forage area supposes the 28.1% of the total existing in Spain, which demonstrates the importance of the livestock sector in this community. The livestock sector is mainly cattle with a particular focus on dairy production. In 2010, the Galician milk production represented 38 % of dairy production in Spain. The average farm size is 8.2 ha and more than 63% of farms are less than 5 ha while only 10% exceed 20 ha.
The food industry is characterized by the small size of the companies and a priority dedication to primary processing products and low value added that usually affects their competitiveness. The Galician food industry is one of the lowest ranking in Spain in terms of productivity; it has the second lowest gross operating margin and has the lowest value-added sales.
The main challenges of the region are to promote competitiveness of the Galician agriculture through the modernisation of agriculture and forestry, the installation of young farmers in market-oriented farms with capacity for economic diversification and land management. The region also needs to further improve productivity in the food industry as well as forestry by promoting the production of high added value.
In addition there is a need to preserve and enhance the natural heritage of Galicia, promoting the sustainable management of natural resources and combating climate change.
Looking at the wider rural economy, there is a need to improve the quality of life of the rural population by encouraging the provision of basic services to help keep people in rural areas, creating jobs and reducing the risk of poverty."

No justification from me, opportunities are taken by the people who have the eyes to see them, the mind to capture them, and the pragmatic heart to succeed, everything in life is an exchange of energy, take responsibility for yours. The evidence suggests Spain needs help, the unemployment figures speak for themselves!

"The region of Galicia is located in the North West of Spain. It covers an area of 29 574 km2 of which 97.8% is rural. The region is home to 2.7 million people with a depopulation and progressive aging of the population in rural areas. The unemployment rate is 20.7%, among young people more than 45 %.

Of the total area, farmland covers less than one third and forestry more than two thirds. The percentage of forest area in private hands is almost 98% and only 10% has a management plan. 10% of Spanish forests are in Galicia.
The Galician forage area supposes the 28.1% of the total existing in Spain, which demonstrates the importance of the livestock sector in this community. The livestock sector is mainly cattle with a particular focus on dairy production. In 2010, the Galician milk production represented 38 % of dairy production in Spain. The average farm size is 8.2 ha and more than 63% of farms are less than 5 ha while only 10% exceed 20 ha.
The food industry is characterized by the small size of the companies and a priority dedication to primary processing products and low value added that usually affects their competitiveness. The Galician food industry is one of the lowest ranking in Spain in terms of productivity; it has the second lowest gross operating margin and has the lowest value-added sales.
The main challenges of the region are to promote competitiveness of the Galician agriculture through the modernisation of agriculture and forestry, the installation of young farmers in market-oriented farms with capacity for economic diversification and land management. The region also needs to further improve productivity in the food industry as well as forestry by promoting the production of high added value.
In addition there is a need to preserve and enhance the natural heritage of Galicia, promoting the sustainable management of natural resources and combating climate change.
Looking at the wider rural economy, there is a need to improve the quality of life of the rural population by encouraging the provision of basic services to help keep people in rural areas, creating jobs and reducing the risk of poverty."

No justification from me, opportunities are taken by the people who have the eyes to see them, the mind to capture them, and the pragmatic heart to succeed, everything in life is an exchange of energy, take responsibility for yours. The evidence suggests Spain needs help, the unemployment figures speak for themselves!

The unemployment rate is not that bad :16%
https://www.datosmacro.com/paro-epa/espana-comunidades-autonomas/galicia
Does the food industry include fish?
I think the fish food industry in Galicia is one of the most important in Europe.
Potatoes, meat (D.O Galician ) are very appreciated in Spain.
Actually every product with Galician origin (eggs, chicken, vegetables) is very appreciated in Spain because its quality.
A further improve in forestry?
In Galicia there is a high eucaliptus production. Too much production but an important source of income for locals. The local government is trying to reduce eucalytus areas and now is promoting chestnut.
I know very well rural Galicia (I have an Ha of land there) and the situation is not that bad.

Hi Ryan
some quick thoughts off the top of my head:
Given OCB is a known bottle-neck you need to find out a lot more about why no-one else has already done this. You need to be an excellent Spanish speaker - and maybe able to pick up Gallego as well, if that's how people communicate locally. You should set aside about 5 years for getting up and running and have a shed load of money, much of which won't ever give a financial return on your investment.
You need a local champion or two, so you need to think about who and why local people or a local partner will want to help/work with you.
The big issue I see at the moment is trying to set somewhere up that is just before OCB, which would invariably be perceived as siphoning off the business on its way to the village - and that's not going to be received well!
But good luck developing this idea further - I thing it is worthwhile and worth continuing to discuss this on the forum.
Cheers, tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
- It's also a very tight-knit community of five or six families. There's a wonderful culture of art, architecture, music, and photography, mostly the work of two or three people... If they weren't there, it would be a total Camino Disneyland money-spinner. There's all the rancor, fellowship, jealousy, and small-mindedness you will find in any small town. .

I might explain a very distressing situation I ended in as I arrived in cold foggy weather only to find that the large municipal was full, in spite of the upper floor being unoccupied.
The hospitalero was adament not op open the upper floor - nor even letting me stay in a corridor, in fact his voice rose in pitch as this dragged, only to suggest he was packing a lie.
For what reason I couldnt´get out of him: did they have water damage, rats (bats?) in the attic, what ?.
As I couldn´t move another inch that day, it being raining heavily I had to stay in a stone cold room for 40 EU, which I did not have and they took no credit card. Had to borrow from somebody...
Turned out the hospitalero´s wife owned the pension that had the last room in O´Cebreio I was staying in.
And I was so skint that all I had to pay for was a Caldo Gallego and a cheap beer and all the bread they threw at me.
It is the only and last time I have said "Bad Hospitalero" to anybody through clenched teeth...
- Friggin´ Bampot !

Last edited:
I foresee two potential problems.
1) you say you’re looking for solitude - running an albergue will not provide that
2)you want to locate it 15 minutes BEFORE O’Cebreiro. People tend to be focused on getting to the top. While a refreshment stand might be welcome at that point i’m not sure accommodation will do as well. Who is going to nip up to OC to see the sights and then backtrack down the hill to get a bed? Then they’d have to walk up twice! In my opinion 15 minutes past the town would be a better bet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Ryan,
I think you're asking good questions, and I'd be happy to share more about our experiences of opening up our Pilgrim House welcome center if you're interested (you can PM me). The most important thing I'd recommend would be that you live in Galicia for a while, without any deadline to open up anything, and just learn about the people, the culture, and the way they do things. Then figure out if, where, and what you might like to do. You may find that O Cebreiro isn't your cup of tea after all, or that it really is perfect for the needs you want to meet and how you want to serve.

We moved to Galicia in 2007 and it wasn't until 2014 that we opened up Pilgrim House - and we needed all 7 of those years to get everything in order. (It's a LONG story!) Not everyone will need that much time - but things definitely went much more slowly and were much, much more complicated than we thought they would be. If you have an EU passport the road will be smoother for you than it was for us, but the more you can integrate first before you start anything, perhaps the more solid what you want to offer will be.

Lots more thoughts if you're interested!
Take care,
Faith

Ryan, a point already made in earlier replies has to do with local politics... if you want to connect with someone from another country who has been involved in a restoration project for some years, you can find information at the abbey.es. It is to be found in Navarra, so not exactly the same terrain as where you are contemplating your project.

I foresee two potential problems.
1) you say you’re looking for solitude - running an albergue will not provide that
2)you want to locate it 15 minutes BEFORE O’Cebreiro. People tend to be focused on getting to the top. While a refreshment stand might be welcome at that point i’m not sure accommodation will do as well. Who is going to nip up to OC to see the sights and then backtrack down the hill to get a bed? Then they’d have to walk up twice! In my opinion 15 minutes past the town would be a better bet.

Not solitude as such, poor wording on my behalf, more peace and quiet.
I don't want to locate it there, that's just where it is located, first and foremost it would be my home. Who knows what pilgrims want to do, they're a crazy bunch Thankyou for your response.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It might be worth your while to rent a place in or near O’Cebreiro from September to April and bundle the experience(s) in your dreams. Then listen to old Hilton’s advice “location, location, location”

My dream isn't to open an albergue but to transform ruined farm buildings into something beautiful and of value to the local community and its people, also to regenerate the land it sits on, whatever comes of that is a bonus.

Ryan, a point already made in earlier replies has to do with local politics... if you want to connect with someone from another country who has been involved in a restoration project for some years, you can find information at the abbey.es. It is to be found in Navarra, so not exactly the same terrain as where you are contemplating your project.

Yes it does seem to be the absolute most important point. I don't want to upset the apple cart or anything like that and I like to be on good terms with everyone if possible, I just feel there is room for everyone to win here, no one has to lose! Thankyou for your link, I will check it out and contact them.

I might explain a very distressing situation I ended in as I arrived in cold foggy weather only to find that the large municipal was full, in spite of the upper floor being unoccupied.
The hospitalero was adament not op open the upper floor - nor even letting me stay in a corridor, in fact his voice rose in pitch as this dragged, only to suggest he was packing a lie.
For what reason I couldnt´get out of him: did they have water damage, rats (bats?) in the attic, what ?.
As I couldn´t move another inch that day, it being raining heavily I had to stay in a stone cold room for 40 EU, which I did not have and they took no credit card. Had to borrow from somebody...
Turned out the hospitalero´s wife owned the pension that had the last room in O´Cebreio I was staying in.
And I was so skint that all I had to pay for was a Caldo Gallego and a cheap beer and all the bread they threw at me.
It is the only and last time I have said "Bad Hospitalero" to anybody through clenched teeth...
- Friggin´ Bampot !

Hopefully that experience built your character in some way? There's a silver lining to every cloud I believe. Thankyou for sharing.

Hi Ryan,
I think you're asking good questions, and I'd be happy to share more about our experiences of opening up our Pilgrim House welcome center if you're interested (you can PM me). The most important thing I'd recommend would be that you live in Galicia for a while, without any deadline to open up anything, and just learn about the people, the culture, and the way they do things. Then figure out if, where, and what you might like to do. You may find that O Cebreiro isn't your cup of tea after all, or that it really is perfect for the needs you want to meet and how you want to serve.

We moved to Galicia in 2007 and it wasn't until 2014 that we opened up Pilgrim House - and we needed all 7 of those years to get everything in order. (It's a LONG story!) Not everyone will need that much time - but things definitely went much more slowly and were much, much more complicated than we thought they would be. If you have an EU passport the road will be smoother for you than it was for us, but the more you can integrate first before you start anything, perhaps the more solid what you want to offer will be.

Lots more thoughts if you're interested!
Take care,
Faith

I absolutely agree and that would be my plan. This thread was just to test the water to see the experience of others who have passed through/stayed in O Cebreiro. Thankyou, will message you.

I absolutely agree and that would be my plan. This thread was just to test the water to see the experience of others who have passed through/stayed in O Cebreiro. Thankyou, will message you.
Since you ask about experience of staying I want to reiterate what others have mentioned it is mountain terrain, the farming difficult & finding an old Farmhouse that is not falling in will be difficult. Like most mountain communities they do everything themselves, so you will need a good background in construction,cutting firewood (cords) & I would have a Garden & critters. Then the tools & equipment to sustain it. Money will be important but it will be your skills that will get your family thru the winter. Unless of course you plan on going south for winter. In any case personally at my age the lower elevations would be my choice. Snow, extreme cold & that type of isolation I have lived it, you either love it or find a warmer place. I will be curious to read what you end up doing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Short answer – looked at from a commercial point of view the Camino is growing as are people’s expectations. You probably wouldn’t be first port of call for drop in Camino walkers on a budget but there are an increasing number of accommodation booked/self-guided tours and more tour groups all of whom need somewhere nice to stay and there is a need for accommodation in the area. Cyclists will also tend to stay in more expensive places, especially if you have somewhere safe to leave the bike. So I think there would be a market.

Longer answer - Is the camino particularly important in your plans? I walked Cathar Way in France this summer and the whole area seemed populated with people living alternative lifestyles which combined their passions. We stayed with a Belgian couple were running an amazing dog friendly gite, it was a place where many people came to stay as a retreat for a week or two specifically to let their dogs run and for the humans to eat the most wonderful home cooked food. In another village, we had a drink at a microbrewery run by an English family - a wonderful mix of French and English cultures. I got the impression the French were more welcoming in that particular area because they needed newcomers to keep the infrastructure going. Portugal has many properties that might meet your requirements. I wonder if other places might be easier?

Practically speaking, having grown up a rural area on the English/Welsh borders where people came to run small holdings and get some peace and quiet I think this kind of life is really tough unless you have money from another source. Quality of life might be high but financially it’s a fairly hand to mouth experience. I don’t think there is any escaping village politics. The damp, low cloud kind of weather can also get you down, as MTtoCamino says you really have to love the place. No idea how old you are but as you get older the need to drive everywhere can make life very difficult, simple things hospital appointments become major logistic operations if you haven’t got friends/family who can take you.

If you decide to go for it, I wish you all the best!

Incorrect! The site I'm looking at is literally right next to the path and is around 15 minutes before you reach O Cebreiro. Farming would be a supplemental income for me too, based on a regenerative agriculture model with a Permaculture design.

Then the place is not yet in Galicia but still in Castilla-Leon.
There the local language is Galician because Galician is the language in the villages from Villafranca to O Cebreiro.
But nobody would expect a foreigner speaking Galician, so a good skill in Spanish is enough to be accepted.
I know some cases of European people living in the mountains between Galicia and Asturias with a good integration with the local people.
A good point for integration would be if you become a farmer and you work well your land. People in Galicia, and I think in that area too, where almost everybody has a vegetable garden, has great respect for the people who work well the land.

I have the small experience of two Camino Frances, some who have replied have 5 times that number. For me there are between Los Herrerias and Triacastela a considerable number of alternative stopping points. I have spoken to pilgrims who have experience the “room rip-off” at OCB and also others who such fun it was the highlight of their Camino. So I guess what I am saying is, is there really the market you aiming for; second does the ruined/abandoned farmhouse exists?
Yes it’s a great, & maybe idealistic dream, but please keep up the research before committing the Euros. Cheers for now:cool:

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do your research. If you can: go for it. If you find you can not, there was no harm in trying.

Doing
I have the small experience of two Camino Frances, some who have replied have 5 times that number. For me there are between Los Herritas and Triacastela a considerable number of alternative stopping points. I have spoken to pilgrims who have experience the “room rip-off” at OCB and also others who such fun it was the highlight of their Camino. So I guess what I am saying is, is there really the market you aiming for; second does the ruined/abandoned farmhouse exists?
Yes it’s a great, & maybe idealistic dream, but please keep up the research before committing the Euros. Cheers for now:cool:
i didn't pick the area, the area picked me, they're more like barns and yes they exist, hence my line of genuine enquiry, Thankyou for your post and best wishes, God bless.

Curious to know people's thoughts/experiences of staying in O Cebreiro, is there demand for another albergue/pension? Any other relevant information appreciated, I saw a story on here about a lady who ran one for a short while and then sold it, was it just not for her, anyone familiar with that story?
Gratitude,

(This isn't a money spinning scheme, my intention is to restore some old ruined properties as I would like a life of solitude, integration is a key component but I'm not afraid to be different either!)

Ryan

I'm going to give my personal impression of demand. Others have written with more knowledge than I about the practicalities of meeting that demand. I think there is likely to be demand for another albergue/pension, at least in the high season when we passed through. I don't know about the demand for just a pension. There seemed to be a number already there. WHen we passed through there seemed to be more people wanting space at the albergue than there was room for. In addition, I know that some (my son included) were quite uncomfortable with the lack of doors/curtains in the shower area. An alternative albergue with the option for a modicum of privacy while showering might be at a competitive advantage. Also, I know that some fellow pilgrims like the privacy of a room to sleep in but the camaraderie of an albergue. An albergue/pension with some single/double rooms as well as more reasonably priced dormitory rooms would provide these pilgrims the best of both worlds - the opportunity to socialize with fellow pilgrims in common spaces and to retreat to their room where they can sleep without the snoring of strangers. My son and I stayed in a few places that offered both options - usually in the dorm but occasionally in the double room.

I would agree, however, with Kiwi-family who wrote "you want to locate it 15 minutes BEFORE O’Cebreiro. People tend to be focused on getting to the top. While a refreshment stand might be welcome at that point i’m not sure accommodation will do as well. Who is going to nip up to OC to see the sights and then backtrack down the hill to get a bed?" I expect that the demand for another albergue before O Cebreiro would be considerably less.

I can't leave a discussion of accommodations in O Cebreiro without recalling the first time I slept there, in 1989. It may not quite have been the O Cebreiro of 1958 but there was a lot less there than there is now. It was cold and wet when I arrived in the early spring. All of what few accommodations that were there were full. However, I did secure a place on the floor by the fireplace in the local inn where I could roll out my sleeping bag (at no cost). That was one time when I really felt like a medieval pilgrim.

Still not seeing any actual obstacles here

Dutch friends of ours who walked with us in 08 purchased a beautiful property in France and made it into a gite , its east of Angers on the Chemin.
Last time we stayed with them they were concerned about the new laws that would affect any future development or alterations .......*****wheel chair access to gite and also shower.
The buildings you mention Ryan were in disrepair ,
I myself would not touch old damp buildings in a hundred years.
Keep well and have a open mind but Reb is not far off the mark.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dutch friends of ours who walked with us in 08 purchased a beautiful property in France and made it into a gite , its east of Angers on the Chemin.
Last time we stayed with them they were concerned about the new laws that would affect any future development or alterations .......*****wheel chair access to gite and also shower.
The buildings you mention Ryan we in disrepair ,
I myself would not touch old damp buildings in a hundred years.
Keep well and have a open mind but Reb is not far off the mark.
Have you heard of renovation? Haha

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back