• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there heat in the albergues?

Marla in CA

Time of past OR future Camino
I did the CF in Sept/Oct 2019. I am doing the Portugues Central at end of March with a friend. She asked me if albergues have heat. I honestly don't remember on the CF, but my question now is specific to the Portugues.

Comment

Send

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, no, maybe.... some do during winter but given rising costs I suspect many will shorten the season they run the heating so by the end of March it may not be on as the weather gets milder and more spring like. I wouldn't depend on heating being on at the end of March.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Heat? Sometimes...but I think it depends on the phase of the moon how much heat one may receive for early spring Camino's.
In all seriousness, usually a blast in the afternoon and early evening, but none in the morning. I think the lack of heat during the night and early morning is to get any reluctant peregrino's out of their bunk and out the door as early as possible.
The one notable exception was at an albergue in O'Cebriero where the bunk room was like a sauna all night. Must have been 30C all night.

I did the CF in Sept/Oct 2019. I am doing the Portugues Central at end of March with a friend. She asked me if albergues have heat. I honestly don't remember on the CF, but my question now is specific to the Portugues.

Comment

Send
Very unpredictable. All the more reason to carry a sleeping bag for an end of March Camino (which may already be your plan).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed in Private room accommodations in Feb. and March on the CF. Heating usually went on in the late afternoon fora very short time, , went off, came back on at night for an hour or so…went off and went on in the morning for a short period of time. We slept in two layers bottom and top in our sleepng bags. Sometimes we would see our breath in the air!

Last edited:
I completed the Portuguese Central route in December. Most municipal albergues had some form of heating, many with individual heaters dotted around the dorm rooms that could be turned off and on by individuals nearby. I only remember 1 with central heating that turned on and off automatically. A couple had mobile heaters that the host brought in to heat the room if it was very cold. That said a few had nothing and were very cold. I’d definitively bring a sleeping bag and be prepared for no heat as others have said.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depending on whether you're doing the whole route from Lisboa, if you start at the end of March, and are going the whole way, it shouldn't be a concern, except maybe for a couple of days north of Porto.

We live 4 or 5 days' walk north of Lisboa, and typically, by the end of March, we're not using much heat (in an old, not-well-insulated Portuguese house). Regular bedding suffices at night, without heat. And as you walk on, spring will be accompanying you.

In our area, we usually just need heat at night from mid-November to mid-February or so (mind you, we're from Canada, so maybe a bit less delicate than some...😉)

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back