• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there still snow in the Pyrenees in the begining of May?

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
I was planning on a summer Camino, but it might be a spring-summer one instead.
Is there still snow (usually) in the begining of May on the Napoleon route in the Pyrenees?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. Sometimes no. Are you asking for predictions, forecasts, history or guesses?

The Route Napoleon is usually open and passable by late April - early May but may not be. Ask at the Pilgrims Office on your day of departure. Any other 'opinion' is worthless.
Thank you. I was asking for past experiences amongst people who had passed through there in the begining of May. Seeing how many people would say that yes there was snow or no there wasn't.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm pretty sure this was April 21012, not long after May :eek::p

Other years it's been dry.

But even in the snow, it can be lovely if you listen to the locals and walk the correct route.

Attachments

• RoncesvallesBest94foro_cje0.jpg
    RoncesvallesBest94foro_cje0.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 48
  • RoncesvallesBest170foro_jnp7.jpg
    RoncesvallesBest170foro_jnp7.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 46
So, you were after history - available here http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos. I've no doubt that members will post experience of sunshine, blizzard, rain and fog. Personal experience of one day, one morning, on the hill while of interest should not be used to inform your decisions about whether or not to take the route. Ask at the Pilgrims Office on the morning or eve of your departure.

My experience has been all of the above plus watching Griffon Vultures spiralling in a crystal blue sky above a crystal white landscape while my exhaled breath turned to snow and I nearly lost my sight in the snow-glare. Pure stupidity, I should never have been there so ill-prepared. And that was on the 8th of May.

As Tinker says, past experiences are useless as a guide. Mountain weather is notoriously unpredictable in spring.

Just to illustrate, I have crossed via the Route Napoleon (or attempted) three times in early May and conditions were different each time. Once was freezing with fog and cold rain, but doable. Once was sunny and gloriously clear, but with a cold wind (pretty well ideal IMO). A third time I had intended to cross but decided against it at the last moment, because of heavy snow, so I started from Roncesvalles instead.

Decide when you get to SJPDP and if the Pilgrims Office advise against, you can take the equally beautiful but safer Valcarlos route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm pretty sure this was April 21012, not long after May :eek::p

Other years it's been dry.

But even in the snow, it can be lovely if you listen to the locals and walk the correct route.
:eek: that's downright scary.

So, you were after history - available here http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos. I've no doubt that members will post experience of sunshine, blizzard, rain and fog. Personal experience of one day, one morning, on the hill while of interest should not be used to inform your decisions about whether or not to take the route. Ask at the Pilgrims Office on the morning or eve of your departure.

My experience has been all of the above plus watching Griffon Vultures spiralling in a crystal blue sky above a crystal white landscape while my exhaled breath turned to snow and I nearly lost my sight in the snow-glare. Pure stupidity, I should never have been there so ill-prepared. And that was on the 8th of May.
Thank you for the link. I much less appreciate the image you've left me with though ;)

As Tinker says, past experiences are useless as a guide. Mountain weather is notoriously unpredictable in spring.

Just to illustrate, I have crossed via the Route Napoleon (or attempted) three times in early May and conditions were different each time. Once was freezing with fog and cold rain, but doable. Once was sunny and gloriously clear, but with a cold wind (pretty well ideal IMO). A third time I had intended to cross but decided against it at the last moment, because of heavy snow, so I started from Roncesvalles instead.

Decide when you get to SJPDP and if the Pilgrims Office advise against, you can take the equally beautiful but safer Valcarlos route.
Oh, I guess May is still too unpredictable. Thank you for your input. I will have to figure something out, or just quit my job and walk in the summer ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@camster: thanks for asking this question. I had it in mind to pose a similar one as I have a departure date from St Jean as the 3rd or 4th of May (2017) and starting to look at accommodation availability in St Jean during the May Day period & for the first couple of nights on the Camino.
Totally agree with Kanga and others about the unpredictability of the weather! - it has no memory of what it did yesterday, let alone last year!! Cheers:)o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, I guess May is still too unpredictable. Thank you for your input. I will have to figure something out, or just quit my job and walk in the summer ;)

We have walked the Napolean twice in very early May. Both times were beautiful. Storms happen at any time (including July -- not snow but storms) but walking in early May is a good bet and worth taking, just have a backup plan.

We have done a lot of walking and a lot of remote mountaineering. Changing weather and changing plans is just part of the adventure.

If you want to walk the 'Napoleon route' for the views and the scenery, bear in mind that even in Summer (a good Summer at that!) you may see NOTHING. That was on the 14th July this year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
30th April this year. Snowed quite hard. Windy. I loved it. I'm not a bad weather walking fan, but lots of people of all ages and sexes did it that day. It was one of my favourite days of a walk that took me to Finisterre. The day before was glorious sunshine and great views, but I wouldn't swap. If there was snow when you did it you would have a great memory and a good story to tell.

We crossed on the Napoleon April 26 and 27th of this year - cold, foggy, windy, a little snow on the sides on the road. The week afterwards we heard there was a snow storm and the route was closed. Just play it by ear.

I did the Napoleon route beginning April 22 of this year. It was fine for us, foggy in places, but very scenic and beautiful. It was chilly, but I was prepared for that.

There was a storm the previous week that closed the Napoleon route, and more snow a few days after us. I would not hesitate to plan this again, and would be fine if the Valcarlos route was the one I needed to take given weather conditions.

Buen Camino,
Priscilla

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We crossed on the Napoleon April 26 and 27th of this year - cold, foggy, windy, a little snow on the sides on the road.
To me, ideal conditions for a pleasant, nice walk. I'd just add a bit of muddy paths, and it would be perfect. I rather like this kind of weather and conditions.
But, as it happens frequently, too much of a good thing could become a problem.

The quick answer is yes. I have walked on and off in the Pyrenees since 1995, mainly in June. The weather every year has been totally different. My worst snow condition was 1997 (I think) when their was a complete white out which closed all the roads and led to many walkers being airlifted to safety. We carried a small tent and were totally self sufficient so no problem but......

I was planning on a summer Camino, but it might be a spring-summer one instead.
Is there still snow (usually) in the begining of May on the Napoleon route in the Pyrenees?
I walked the Napoleon on 1st June 2013 when it snowed heavily on already packed snow on trek from St Jean and next morning in Roncesvalles. It then changed to mist and rain -good for slipping/sliding- for 5/6 days when the sun took over. Weather is not always predictable!! The last few weeks this Sept were ideal for walking though. Predictions beware, come prepared. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for sharing your adventures. I love reading them. The main reason for my asking is that I was hoping to stop at Orisson, but if the route is closed, then it's not going to happen. Plus I was hoping for a summer camino because I wanted to have simple gear with me and I tend to be cold easily, but with work, I might have to change my plans to start in May.

I walked the Napoleon on 1st June 2013 when it snowed heavily on already packed snow on trek from St Jean and next morning in Roncesvalles. It then changed to mist and rain -good for slipping/sliding- for 5/6 days when the sun took over. Weather is not always predictable!! The last few weeks this Sept were ideal for walking though. Predictions beware, come prepared. Buen Camino.
I recall this Spring/early Summer period. I was in the south (on the VDLP) and it was "bloody" cold - I think it even snowed/sleeted in Madrid with the opening of the bull-fighting season. If I recall correctly it was the coldest Spring in Spain for 40 years. Just reinforces the concept of unpredictability of the weather. Its times like this when the advice from the people in the Pilgrim Office in St Jean is most important.

The weather is just so unpredictable. There was a time on an early Camino that it got REALLY hot so I dumped my fleece jacket. Two days later it was snowing. I've never done THAT again!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Was closed on April 8th when we started this year and I gather it was for 10 days beyond that.
For people that are from snow free climates, I would follow the directions given by the local authorities.
I am from Canada and winter hike, so snow is not really an issue, but packing snow shoes for the Camino would be problematic and obviously not needed after day 1!
We had heavy snow on the last couple hours of the Val Carlos route into Roncesvalles as well on this so called low route, so you need to be prepared. The picture attached is when we crossed the highway leading into the last part of the trail into Roncesvalles.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1473609353673.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473609353673.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 22
Was closed on April 8th when we started this year and I gather it was for 10 days beyond that.
For people that are from snow free climates, I would follow the directions given by the local authorities.
I am from Canada and winter hike, so snow is not really an issue, but packing snow shoes for the Camino would be problematic and obviously not needed after day 1!
We had heavy snow on the last couple hours of the Val Carlos route into Roncesvalles as well on this so called low route, so you need to be prepared. The picture attached is when we crossed the highway leading into the last part of the trail into Roncesvalles.
I'm from Quebec, so snow is no issue for me either. As you said, it's mostly because of the different packing you need to do, for just a few days, maybe only one day. That picture is not something I would have liked to walk into, especially on the side of a road like that.

We crossed on the Napoleon April 26 and 27th of this year - cold, foggy, windy, a little snow on the sides on the road. The week afterwards we heard there was a snow storm and the route was closed. Just play it by ear.
This is the WEEK I'm hoping to Start
So after reading the comments around this topic
I'm thinking best to pack a few thermals in my mix

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is the WEEK I'm hoping to Start
So after reading the comments around this topic
I'm thinking best to pack a few thermals in my mix
Annie, I would not bother with the thermals. Even with the possibility of snow it would not be that cold in late April. Maybe 5C at the summitt, if even that and likely a lot warmer.
This will just be something to take up space in your back pack that you will likely not need.

I some times forget when discussing cold as it is relative to where people live. I have a good friend in Melbourne, Australia and he can not fathom -40 C weather that we get on occasion in Northern Alberta, the same as I can not fathom +40 C or above that he gets on occasion.
I tend to have zip off parts of my pants off when the temp is +8 or above.
Generally, you need to keep head, hands and feet warm and I find the rest of me stays pretty warm when walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back