• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this a bad idea? (footwear)

Shiv

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - 2014, 2016, 2019
CP - 2022
Hi, I'm planning to do my second Camino in July. My last was in 2014. I was going to use the same shoes as they haven't been worn much since and they were fantastic last time. However while talking to friend I'm beginning to rethink this. The shoes are Salomon and seem to be good. I took them for a 10km walk over the weekend without issues, but also without a backpack. Would they still be OK to use this summer? Apologies if this is a really stupid question!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How thick are your soles? My boots have over 1200 km on them but the tread shows it. I'm happy to use them at home but I would need a new pair for a Camino. I would hate for you to get halfway and then have to find a new pair.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your shoes might remember the Camino, but your feet probably don't remember doing the Camino in those shoes. You still might get blisters. Your feet do change over time so please try them out on as many training walks as you can before you go to make sure they still work for you.

I had the same question. I loved my salomon shoes last year, and they are still relatively good. But in the end I decided to get a new pair to wear this year. I didn't want to get half way along the VDLP, have the soles die,and then have to break new shoes in. Of course Salomon changed the model (which is so annoying) and the new shoes are slightly less fabulous than the old shoes.

Hi, I'm planning to do my second Camino in July. My last was in 2014. I was going to use the same shoes as they haven't been worn much since and they were fantastic last time. However while talking to friend I'm beginning to rethink this. The shoes are Salomon and seem to be good. I took them for a 10km walk over the weekend without issues, but also without a backpack. Would they still be OK to use this summer? Apologies if this is a really stupid question!
If they worked for you before why change? I ad huge issues with my 'expensive walking shoes' on my first Camino, I ended up buying a pair of sandals after 150 km's of sore feet, they worked really well, name of the company, Source, they make open sandals with sturdy material, saved my feet and helped towards completing the Camino. I have used them since on the Porto to Santiago route. Just something to keep in mind if you have issues. Good luck, Pat

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think the only way that you will know is to walk a test run of 12-15 miles/day 3-5 days back-to-back. This test has never failed me. If the shoes work they'll be great and if they don't they won't.

This is an excerpt from my book (see signature line): "I typically do not run in my shoes for more than 640-800 kilometers (400-500 miles). But when walking, I can get 960 kilometers (600 miles) or more out of them. I know when my shoes have had it, my knees and hip joints start to ache. Don’t wait that long."

That last statement has largely to do with age and how many miles you have put on your body before. However, when I did the Camino Francis last summer, I dedicated one pair of shoes (I used Asics trail running shoes) to training and on the Camino. They had 650plus miles on them when I finished. I left them in the trash in Santiago. As they say, they were fully depreciated!
Hope that helps and Buen Camino

I still have all three pairs of Merrells that I walked my Caminos in. The rubber outsoles look in good shape. Not much wear and tear, but the insides of the shoes for sure get trashed walking the Camino. The foot liners wear out and such. Also I've been told that the cushioning breaks down in the shoes. Something you can't see, and I have noticed on my Merrells they are visibly compressed more, downwards towards the top of the outsole.
Same with my running shoes. I have always been told that after about 500 miles they should be replaced even if they don't look like they need be. Modern materials and rubber for shoes are so much more durable that the outside lasts longer that the inside. My dad used to do a lot of running in the 1970's and it was the opposite. He was constantly repairing the outsoles of his shoes, which wore out much quicker that the rest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I only walked as far as Burgos last time and then haven't put probably more than another 150km on my camino boots. They are soooooooooooooooooo comfortable the only thing I am changing is to a new pair of Superfeet Greens. Same socks, same boots. 22 days till I fly!!

I would advise a new pair unless the following are all true:
  • You still have more than 50% of your original tread available at the place where you get the most wear.
  • Your soles are securely attached with no signs of loosening or peeling where glued. Any stitching should be in good condition and not abraded.
  • Your uppers and interiors are in good condition with no major areas of wear.
  • You are experiencing no new or atypical discomfort under a multi-day, full training run wearing your full pack and kit.
Probably the most hidden problem with shoes (less so with sturdy, traditional boots) is that the internal supports can break down without obvious external signs. The last condition above is intended to surface that. I get my shoes at a running specialty store, and their answer to the support break down is, "Under normal backpacking usage, you can expect to get 600 to 800 miles." My personal experience anecdotally confirms that, and that is consistent with the usable life of my soles/uppers/etc. My son, on the other hand, will destroy a pair of shoes (uppers, soles, etc.) long before the structural supports give out.

If everything about the shoes are still in good shape, @GreatDane 's advice about new inserts (Superfeet, heat-molded, etc.) is spot on.

Last edited:
I walked in Salomons on my first camino and noticed the tread was more worn by the end... I could feel the stoney terrain much more. I bought another pair of the same shoe for my second camino and there was a big difference with the comfort levels. I dont know for sure if I'll buy Salomon again for my third walk... but I will buy new shoes.

(but maybe I'm heavy on my feet :rolleyes: )

Have a great walk!

Its not only the tread that you should take into account but the strcuture itself and cushionning. Vibram makes an excellent thread and mine is still looking quite good after 700km but my Salomons have lots their rigidity (you know those tests we do in stores without understanding why, like when people kick a car's tire at the dealer's? ;)). Mine now flex where they didn't use to and twist as well. And the cushionning is certainly not what it used to be, and with someone with plantear fasciitis this is not a good thing.

My podiatrist told me that about 800km, a CF, is about time to retire shoes, or to put them into early retirement and only use for short strolls at home. The way I see it, a bit of breaking in and a full Camino, of the longer ones, and you are done.

I've examined the shoes closely, now that I know what I should be looking for! Most of the thread is OK but my right is pretty worn on the ball of my foot so think it's better to be safe than sorry and get a new pair. At least I still have some time to look around and in the meantime I'll continue to use these to train in. Thanks for all the advice!

I've examined the shoes closely, now that I know what I should be looking for! Most of the thread is OK but my right is pretty worn on the ball of my foot so think it's better to be safe than sorry and get a new pair. At least I still have some time to look around and in the meantime I'll continue to use these to train in. Thanks for all the advice!
If you needed to break the first pair give yourself to break in the new pair. Not only getting Hokas have I had to break in shoes, but these certainly need it because of where the stiffer plastic parts hit.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you needed to break the first pair give yourself to break in the new pair. Not only getting Hokas have I had to break in shoes, but these certainly need it because of where the stiffer plastic parts hit.

Thanks, yeah I'll definitely take time to break them in. I had it so easy the last time, I think I just did a few short walks with the new shoes and then went on Camino with them. No issues at all except for one blister on day 2 which I fixed. For some reason I don't think it will be as easy this time!

I have read somewhere that shoes are only meant to 'last' for 1000k, I forget where. Sadly it has been my experience, too. My Salomon seemed to wear especially quickly but then my new Meindl too :rolleyes: A thousand km doesn't add up to much if you do a full camino plus training hikes...

On the plus side, if any of you have to buy new shoes on the way, I found that with a few weeks walking behind you, they didn't need breaking in? Maybe I was just lucky.

I buy a new pair of boot for each Camino and wear them for a couple of months before we go. For the overall cost of your Camino it is a small price to pay. Imagine trying to buy a new pair of boots half way across the Meseta.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is there enough tread on the soles to provide some grip? Are the soles unevenly worn? If so, you could go to a shoe maker and have him glue on or sew on a new pair of soles. Are there any rips or tears in the uppers that could get worse? Are any of the plastic motion control tabs pushing through? Are all the eyelets still in place? The boot may look like an old hound dog, but as long as the structure is intact they’re ok.

I switched from my first-time Salomons to new ones three years later for walking Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) and regretted. Got perhaps a bit more stabile footage but a lot blisters too. It is ridiculous that new Salomon models are made worse than old ones. Should be other way around, shoudn't it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, yeah I'll definitely take time to break them in. I had it so easy the last time, I think I just did a few short walks with the new shoes and then went on Camino with them. No issues at all except for one blister on day 2 which I fixed. For some reason I don't think it will be as easy this time!
Shiv, is it possible just to get them resoled?

Shiv, is it possible just to get them resoled?

Is there enough tread on the soles to provide some grip? Are the soles unevenly worn? If so, you could go to a shoe maker and have him glue on or sew on a new pair of soles. Are there any rips or tears in the uppers that could get worse? Are any of the plastic motion control tabs pushing through? Are all the eyelets still in place? The boot may look like an old hound dog, but as long as the structure is intact they’re ok.

I never even considered getting them resoled! That could be an option. The shoes themselves are in good condition with just a little wearing on threads so I must take them in somewhere and ask. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi, my two-cents would be to get new ones. Even though they may look good, they are only designed to go so far and after 800kms, I'd say that's far enough as the internal support breaks down over time. A friend of mine who did the Camino Frances in 2014 took old hiking boots and regretted it. I say get new ones of the same brand as the ones you love!!

Buen Camino!!

Wear is most apparent on the soles, but other parts progressively breakdown. That may make them more comfortable, but it also might make them unsupportive and fragile. Resoling will change the shoe fit and the angle of the ankle. Resoling used to be a lot less expensive than new shoes, but I don't think that is the case anymore. New footwear and wear them may be the best option. Try not to change too much the things that have worked well for you!

Shiv:

I wear Merrells with vibram soles and would not wear them on more than one Camino. The inner padding and outer soles just break down too much on a Camino, imo. I would recommend getting a new pair and break them in for at least a week. You could keep the old pair around for local home walking or if they are in decent shape, donate them.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I switched from my first-time Salomons to new ones three years later for walking Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) and regretted. Got perhaps a bit more stabile footage but a lot blisters too. It is ridiculous that new Salomon models are made worse than old ones. Should be other way around, shoudn't it?
I've noticed that with shoes, too. They will change factories overseas where their shoes are manufactured and there will be differences in size and quality sometimes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Boot on the Camino Frances in July? It can get mighly hot. I'd be wearing sandals. But you all know that!
2008 was very hot. The internal lining of my quite light hiking shoes broke down one stage from Burgos, Size 47 and wide needed! no luck so landed up walking in quality beach sandals. Much amusement and lots of pain due to very low heels and toe stubs.
The first few km each morning just a slow silent scream but! because there was good strap variation I was lucky that there were no blisters at all at Santiago. Will use sandals again on walking the coastal camino from Porto at the end of May.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.