• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this bedbugs?

Oztrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Have completed many long distance treks longest is 1000 km, bibulmun track.
image.jpg A friend got some red swellings after staying at the associate albergue in Rabanal.

Is this stress or bedbugs?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They usually bite arms and shoulders, normally tiny very red itchy spots. These look bigger than ones I have experienced!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry to say but they do look like bed bug bites. Had the same happen to me once. Yucky and painfully itchy. Get some antihistamine.

Could be heat stress, mosquito / gnat / blackfly, but the "line" of bites is symptomatic of bed-bug. Anybody else around you reporting problems? If there is any possibility that you or your chum are carrying the little buggers then you need to advise the Hospitaleros. With their wealth of experience they will not only be likely to confirm diagnosis but assist with treatment of your kit. And as michryan says, get some antihistamine.

Yep, they follow the bedbug-bite pattern, three in a row: breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bites sometimes do not show up until a day or so after being bitten, strangely, so it is hard to say if the infestation was at Rabanal as you suggest

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, seems to me they are the classic 3 bites in a row: as metropolly said, breakfast, lunch and dinner! Anne

Last edited:
Yes bed bugs are confirmed, the hospitaleros have everything in fumigation bags for two hours then a wash and dry to kill the eggs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aloe-vera when its too late. Available everywhere, get the Forte!

Bed bugs have claimed 2 more victims including me, my red marks have just emerged and they are on my back and arms.the pharmacy sells neosayomol but it does not make any difference and its 7 euros. Very pissed off. Maybe tea tree oil will be good?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To treat bedbug bites:

• Wash the bites with soap and water. This will help prevent a skin infection and help reduce itchiness.
  • If the bites itch, apply a corticosteroid cream [cremade hidrocortisona] to the bites.
Contrary to my previous post Antihistamine is only recommended for a Histamine (allergic) reaction to the bites. Tea Tree has to be worth a go if you can find some.

View attachment 10380 A friend got some red swellings after staying at the associate albergue in Rabanal.

Is this stress or bedbugs?

Looks like a bed bug bite.

Wash and Dry will not necessarily kill the bed bugs and their eggs .... Spin Dry at high heat is more likely to do the job and there is of course your rucksack which needs to be sprayed with some nasty chemicals, which most albergues should have.

The protocol for the Camino should be Spin Dry at high Heat as it is the heat that kills them not the washing, unless the wash is at a high heat. The national Health Website in the UK recommends "washing them at 60º or put them in a dryer on a hot setting for 30 minutes to kill the bugs". I think that you would struggle to find a washing machine on the Camino what will wash at 60º
So:
  1. Separate all washable items form washable items.
  2. Place washable items into a Spin dryer at a high heat for 30 to 40 mins. Be careful to check the max temp that your clothing can tolerate.
  3. Place all non washable items eg rucksack, stuff sacks, carry bags, money belt, wallet, wash bag etc into a back bin liner and fill the bag with gas or place out under the sun.
  4. Worth giving the rucksack a good spring clean, especially all those hard to get places. Check between all the nooks and crannies as that is where they tend to reside.
Prevention:
  1. Check the albergue dorm room before handing over your cash. Look out for red splat marks on the dorm walls where pilgrims have exacted revenge.
  2. Avoid dark warm dorm rooms and rooms with lots of nooks and crannies. Old buildings are ideal heavens for them.
  3. Avoid the most popular beds, the beds that everybody goes for as they are the beds that the bed bugs love.
  4. Ask the albergue owner/manager/staff how they deal with bed bugs. If they say that they do not know what they are, then consider going somewhere else, as they are being economical with the truth. Bed bugs are to be found everywhere on the Camino. The only difference is how the various albergues deal with the problem. Far too many albergues bury their heads in the sand/shell/cash till and pretend that bed bugs do not exist.
  5. Never place your rucksack on top of your bunk as you will either end up picking up bed bugs or dropping them off.
  6. Maintain a high level of bio security - avoid placing personal items on the bed other than your sleeping bag and sleeping bag liner
  7. Use a rucksack liner such as the see through one offered by Eagle creek to store your clothing in, moving your clothing between your rucksack and storage bag, thus avoiding the bed.
  8. Check your sleeping bag every few days and given it a good shake out and ideally place it out in the sun.
  9. If you have been bitten than own up to it asap and get help.
  10. Choose a bed beside a female Korean pilgrim as bed bugs seem to love them.

Last edited:
Yes bed bugs are confirmed, the hospitaleros have everything in fumigation bags for two hours then a wash and dry to kill the eggs.
You've been a good pilgrim by reporting them - well done! I hope the bedbug karma works and you don't encounter any more along the way

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looks like a bed bug bite.

Wash and Dry will not necessarily kill the bed bugs and their eggs .... Spin Dry at high heat is more likely to do the job and there is of course your rucksack which needs to be sprayed with some nasty chemicals, which most albergues should have. Empty your rucksack of all its contents and place it in a black bin liner and gas the wee fellas. Worth putting in all non clothing and items that cannot be spin dried into the bin bag as well eg wash bag (I found a dead bedbug in my washbag once) and other stuff sacks. I would even consider putting my wallet and or money belt into the bag as pilgrims will often wear these items on their person while sleeping.
The protocol for the Camino should be Spin Dry at high Heat as it is the heat that kills them not the washing, unless the wash is at a high heat. The national Health Website in the UK recommends "washing them at 60º or put them in a dryer on a hot setting for 30 minutes to kill the bugs". I think that you would struggle to find a washing machine on the Camino what will wash at 60º
So:
  1. Separate all washable items form washable items.
  2. Place washable items into a Spin dryer at a high heat for 30 to 40 mins. Be careful to check the max temp that your clothing can tolerate.
  3. Place all non washable items eg rucksack, stuff sacks, carry bags etc into a back bin liner and fill the bag with gas or place out under the sun.
  4. Worth giving the rucksack a good spring clean, especially all those hard to get places.
Prevention:
  1. Check the albergue dorm room before handing over your cash. Look out for red splat marks on the dorm walls where pilgrims have exacted revenge.
  2. Avoid dark warm dorm rooms and rooms with lots of nooks and crannies. Old buildings are ideal heavens for them.
  3. Avoid the most popular beds, the beds that everybody goes for as they are the beds that the bed bugs love.
  4. Ask the albergue owner/manager/staff how they deal with bed bugs. If they say that they do not know what they are, then consider going somewhere else, as they are being economical with the truth. Bed bugs are to be found everywhere on the Camino. The only difference is how the various albergues deal with the problem. Far too many albergues bury their heads in the sand/shell/cash till and pretend that bed bugs do not exist.
  5. Never place your rucksack on top of your bunk as you will either end up picking up bed bugs or dropping them off.
  6. Maintain a high level of bio security - avoid placing personal items on the bed other than your sleeping bag and sleeping bag liner
  7. Use a rucksack liner such as the see through one offered by Eagle creek to store your clothing in, moving your clothing between your rucksack and storage bag, thus avoiding the bed.
  8. Check your sleeping bag every few days and given it a good shake out and ideally place it out in the sun.
  9. If you have been bitten than own up to it asap and get help.
  10. Choose a bed beside a female Korean pilgrim as bed bugs seem to love them.

I was bitten by bed bugs on the Via de la Plata once, in the Zafra albergue. My walking companion was a former Spanish military officer, and he told me he would take care of everything. He sprayed my bag, examined all the contents, and washed all my clothes with bleach, which he said was important. And I was done with them. But I have never seen any other mention of bleach on this forum as a way to deal with bed bugs.

So, what I'm wondering is whether I was just lucky or whether bleach is in fact a good way to get those critters. Thanks, Laurie

Difenhidramina hidrocluoro and it is making no difference, I am itching like crazy. Why these pharmacia rips of pilgrims I do not know.

I need to get rid of these red lumps ASAP, this is going to ruin my european love life when I head out into Copenhagen, hellsinki, and the bikra cruise. I cannot have the confidence to chase women around a swedish party boat with the knowledge that my back and arm is covered in red lumps.

What is the fastest way to get rid of these infections/ swellings.

I am confident that we have killed these mean little spanish bed fleas.

Next is the first aid to heal the wounds that these mean buggers have caused.

I have noticed aaaaall the info here (!) cause I will arrive 23/6 for CaminoFr with my daughter and aunty'!
Can we buy chemichals and spray our backpack and equipment in Pamplona and prevent?
I'm not afraid to get bitten - i'm afraid to bring those small enemies further!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
:po_O:rolleyes::cool: ooooh dear too much information :) … sorry guess you are after a serious response
They certainly look like bed bug bites to me.....I have had them three times now and reacted very badly to them every time.....itchy, swollen and then become very infected. This is not the same scenario for everyone though and I hope it is not the case for you.....get some anti-histamine cream from the local farmacia..

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Difenhidramina hidrocluoro and it is making no difference, I am itching like crazy. Why these pharmacia rips of pilgrims I do not know.

I need to get rid of these red lumps ASAP, this is going to ruin my european love life when I head out into Copenhagen, hellsinki, and the bikra cruise. I cannot have the confidence to chase women around a swedish party boat with the knowledge that my back and arm is covered in red lumps.

I think that you are unfair in your comment 'Why these pharmacia rips of pilgrims....' Some treatments work for some people and not for others. The staff at the Farmacia are not giving you the wrong treatment on purpose, they have no idea how your particular body will react to such bites......a lot of the time, treatments for these types of bites (as I have found) are a matter of trial and error. I am sorry that you are suffering to much, but, please don't blame those who are trying to help you.

You could employ the same tactic those Swedish women do when besieged by pests - just ignore them, and they will go away! Try not to scratch too much, and the bites will disappear within a few days

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the tip to use Permethrin! I was a victim in 2012 in Pontevedra and I will now pack some dog shampoo for my September trip! Dog shampoo (for Ticks and Fleas) have 1% Permithrin It is also used by hunters on safari in the African bush. They rinse their clothes in 1%Permithrin solution to ward off ticks.

Permethrin is the recommended chemical treatment. Spray your pack & sleeping bag / liner. There is lots of sound advice in the Bed-bugs thread.

Be lucky!

What is the Spanish name for this chemical and where could one get it? I hear that it is dangerous to let near wet skin?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the tip to use Permethrin! I was a victim in 2012 in Pontevedra and I will now pack some dog shampoo for my September trip! Dog shampoo (for Ticks and Fleas) have 1% Permithrin It is also used by hunters on safari in the African bush. They rinse their clothes in 1%Permithrin solution to ward off ticks.

Propper hardcore .... sounds like a plan but don't they say that things for animal use should not be used on humans????

image.jpg

experiment begins.

Back off once you find yourself barking and scratching yourself looking for imaginary ticks!!!!!

To prevent bugs for taking it home: after every camino I leave my bag outside and take of all may clothes. I then put all my stuff in plastic bags and put them in my freezer for a few days.

To prevent bugs for taking it home: after every camino I leave my bag outside and take of all may clothes. I then put all my stuff in plastic bags and put them in my freezer for a few days.

Thomas1962 ... leaving you bag of itself is not necessarily going to kill the bed bugs and their eggs unless outside is very warm. Also bed bugs can withstand the cold, simply going into hibernation and can live for a year without food. Heat is the best way of killing them. You would need to leave them in the freezer for a lot longer than a few days to do the business.

Hi Oztrekker -

This poem was sent to me by a dear pilgrim friend in Canada - it's an absolute hoot and might take your mind off the itchiness!

Ode to a Bed Bug on the Camino de Santiago
(with apologies to Robert Louis Stevenson!)
Little bed bug, chinche too – What a bon vivant are you!
You have pilgrim blood for food - Variety for every mood
Delivered free to your front door -You couldn’t really ask for more.
Spanish, German, French and Swiss - What a recipe for bliss.
Irish, Australian and Dutch - Careful you don’t drink too much!
Belgian, Scandinavian - They try to hide from you in vain.
But English blood you should beware - There may be streaks of blue in there.
American is suspect too - Their fatty diet is bad for you.
By day you hide in crevice deep - A perfect place in which to sleep.
But when night falls and lights are out - Out you emerge to wave your snout.
It’s time for you to make a start - Menú del noche or à la carte.
So choose your dish, no need for haste - To satisfy your latest taste -
Bellies, thighs, and buttocks too - Whatever comes into your view.
No vampire had it quite so good - As you, when savouring your food.
I’m sure when you begin to suck - You cannot quite believe your luck,
And when red juice begins to flow - I wonder, do you really know
What agonies of legs and feet - Have brought to you this splendid treat?
Then, if you tire of the décor - Just take a stroll across the floor.
Many a back pack there will do - To hitch a ride to pastures new.
Your ancestors were nourished, too - For centuries they learned to do
The things you specialize in well - From Roncesvalles to Compostelle.
Your place in history’s assured - As you gorge on the pilgrim horde.
Little bed bug, chinche too - How I wish that I were you!

'Hope that you're feeling a bit better -

Cheers - Jenny

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jenny, thank you for the reminder about this poem....Love it.
Hi Oztrekker -

This poem was sent to me by a dear pilgrim friend in Canada - it's an absolute hoot and might take your mind off the itchiness!

Ode to a Bed Bug on the Camino de Santiago
(with apologies to Robert Louis Stevenson!)
Little bed bug, chinche too – What a bon vivant are you!
You have pilgrim blood for food - Variety for every mood
Delivered free to your front door -You couldn’t really ask for more.
Spanish, German, French and Swiss - What a recipe for bliss.
Irish, Australian and Dutch - Careful you don’t drink too much!
Belgian, Scandinavian - They try to hide from you in vain.
But English blood you should beware - There may be streaks of blue in there.
American is suspect too - Their fatty diet is bad for you.
By day you hide in crevice deep - A perfect place in which to sleep.
But when night falls and lights are out - Out you emerge to wave your snout.
It’s time for you to make a start - Menú del noche or à la carte.
So choose your dish, no need for haste - To satisfy your latest taste -
Bellies, thighs, and buttocks too - Whatever comes into your view.
No vampire had it quite so good - As you, when savouring your food.
I’m sure when you begin to suck - You cannot quite believe your luck,
And when red juice begins to flow - I wonder, do you really know
What agonies of legs and feet - Have brought to you this splendid treat?
Then, if you tire of the décor - Just take a stroll across the floor.
Many a back pack there will do - To hitch a ride to pastures new.
Your ancestors were nourished, too - For centuries they learned to do
The things you specialize in well - From Roncesvalles to Compostelle.
Your place in history’s assured - As you gorge on the pilgrim horde.
Little bed bug, chinche too - How I wish that I were you!

'Hope that you're feeling a bit better -

Cheers - Jenny

Permethrin is not for prevention of bedbugs. It is not even made for bed bugs. You can spray your sleepingbag and liners all you want, but it will not stop them at that moment. The only thing it does is numb and then kill them after being in contact with permethrin treated fabric for about 30-60 minutes. More then enough time for them to have their breakfast, lunch and diner.

I am not saying that using permetrin is useless, it is not, but for prevention while sleeping, it is. There is nothing to prevent this from happening. There are no magical bedbug sprays. For most critters, yes, for bedbugs, no.
Just follow the few simple rules there are to minimize the risk. Thats about all you can do.
You can still spray your stuff and especially your backpack with permethrin. If they do happen to hitch a ride in/on your pack, chances of them dying because they are in constant contact with the treated fabric is much higher.

When travelling in the warm months, it is not a bad idea to carry a garbagebag with you that fits your whole backpack. If you happen to be a victim of bedbugs and washing machines, dryers and (chemical) dry cleaning services (best option imho) are not nearby, just put your whole backpack in the garbagebag, close it tight and put it in the full hot sun for at least several hours. The longer the better. The heat thats building up inside the bag can kill them as well. Good thing garbagebags don't weight anything :)
After this, still (hot)wash and machine dry all your stuff and check your backpack inside and out.

Effectiveness
Permethrin affects the neurological system of insects. Upon contact with permethrin-treated surfaces, mosquitos, ticks, chiggers and other insects will fall off almost immediately, nearly all will die from this brief contact. Studies show permethrin-treated bed nets greatly reduce the risk of malaria in areas where the disease is prevalent. It is most effective when used along with DEET (or Picaridin) repellents. One study showed 99.9% protection from mosquitos when using these two products together - this test was done in a situation where an unprotected person would receive an average of over 1000 bites per hour!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So true, permethrin is an effective insect repellent, but not for bedbugs. These critters will not, like i.e. mosquitoes, fall off after first contact, as they are not mosquitos or ticks ect...

Please do not think that permethrin is the holy grail for bedbug prevention. It just isn't. It can and probably will numb or kill them, but not on first contact. Only after they have spend a certain amount of time on a treated fabric, 30 minutes and onwards probably will kill them. I am not making this up, studies have shown and proven this. It's a simple fact.

Therefor, the use of permethrin is not useless, it just isn't for prevention.

I got dinged by the little (bed-)buggers twice last fall on the Camino Frances. I used tea tree oil ('twas an essential in my pack), rather than resorting to permethrin or antibiotics... While I can't offer a solution for preventing their onslaught (a fact of life on the way), I do know that what made a world of difference was the attitude of the hospitaleros. Rosa and her husband sprung into action as soon as she spotted the telltale signs on my back, not once making me feel guilty or bad. On the other side of the spectrum, Sinor non-hospitablero of El Ganso was the polar opposite; he could neither behave nor speak towards me without showing how pissed off he was because of the bites, that (turns out) I'd 'contracted' at his place, and that I had to do a large load of laundry, etc. I really "put him out." Count your blessings if, upon discovery of those signature reddish well-aligned bumps, you are met with sympathy, support and assistance rather than disdain and blame. This too shall pass...

You could employ the same tactic those Swedish women do when besieged by pests - just ignore them, and they will go away! Try not to scratch too much, and the bites will disappear within a few days
@Oztrekker --- Try not to scratch the Swedish women either, or the bruises may take weeks to fade.

Oztrekker:
Which albergue was that the confraternity one claims that know nothing of it. We are in Rabanal today and chose NOT to stay there because of this message and I told others to ask. Don't want to assume that you are referring to the English one when it could be another. And don't think they would lie to pilgrims and say they had not had an issue.
Rambler

Oztrekker:
Which albergue was that the confraternity one claims that know nothing of it. We are in Rabanal today and chose NOT to stay there because of this message and I told others to ask. Don't want to assume that you are referring to the English one when it could be another. And don't think they would lie to pilgrims and say they had not had an issue.
Rambler
Rambler - pilgrims can arrive with bed bugs at an albergue at any time. It only becomes an ongoing problem if the albergue doesn't identify and deal with the problem comprehensively. The CSJ albergue in Rabanal has a deservedly high reputation and will have taken extensive measures to get rid of any bed bugs on the day that they were notified (11 days ago, since when there's probably also been a change of hospitalero/as).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have been a hospitalera at the CSJ albergue, Guacelmo in Rabanal. There is a VERY strict protocol to observe should a pilgrim arrive with bedbugs and, SHOULD it be the case that they have been found out later, I can assure you that every possible elimination of these little fellows is immediately put into motion. If necessary, the Albergue would be closed for at least one day for disinfectation.
There are 4 Albergues in Rabanal, two private, one municipal and the Confraternaty one, so the OP should be more specific! Anne

I have found tea tree oil to be very effective for the itch caused by BBs. If you are not scratching the bites, they will go away fairly quickly. Take a bottle with you when you go but you can replenish your supply from a pharmacia but it isn't cheap and not available everywhere. Q-tips make a good applicator also!

Villafranca associate albergue is the one most likely to have caused this. This is the one next to the church not the municipal as you walk into town.

The alburge with no toilet seats, and shower curtains as toilet doors. It also has allot of wood in the dormitory for bed bugs to nest. Including decorative trees for the staircase.

If a pilgrim could read this and do a check with photographs that would be great. Look for them in the seams of walls and in the floorboards I guess.

They are definetly there. The place needs a good clean. Be interesting to hear the feedback. There is four dorms, I got eaten im the top left dorm as you walk to the table

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree that the CSJ albergue would likely have taken all actions possible to eliminate the issue. Just surprised they told others that they knew nothing of it. I assumed it was a different one, but you described it. I had really wanted to stay there but was afraid to.

Every time the bug bites look like they are on the way out. I wake up to see them turn red again. Then hit them with tea tree oil and the redness backs awayagain.

Who knows what germs and viruses these horrid bugs have. Seriously what is the spanish health department doing about this. The cost of creams doctors and everything else is an extra cost for the pilgrim.

This is an attack by bugs yes, but now I have a skin disease to try and cure. 15 days.

Don't blame the Spanish Health Department. Bedbugs are on the rise all over the world, in tandem with the ease of travel. I know some New York hotels suffered devastating outbreaks last year. Out of curiosity I did a bit of research on the situation in Sydney and it is no different. Hotels have to institute stringent inspections and other safeguards.
The problem is that it doesn't matter how thoroughly and completely you clean and fumigate an albergue, the very next day someone can walk in and re-infest your premises.

I found this on the University of Sydney Dept of Entomology website:

"Up until recently in the modern bed bug resurgence, encounters with the insect were mainly in areas where people slept. However, bed bugs have had a broader societal impact with infestations occurring in shops, offices, hospitals, physician waiting rooms, public transport systems such as planes, trains and buses, and cinemas. You no longer need to stay in an infested bed to pick up bed bugs".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a thought and a question?

So long as the garments have no metallic elements (another reason for button flies, Gerard!) how about a short spell in a microwave?

what is the spanish health department doing about this. The cost of creams doctors and everything else is an extra cost for the pilgrim
Kanga is right, Oztrekker; this is not a Spanish problem. It's a pilgrim problem. It's pilgrims who are spreading bedbugs, not Spain. Too bad about the cash you're spending on creams, but the Spanish government has even more important things to spend money on at the moment than tea trea oil for foreign walkers! But don't worry, bedbugs are not believed to carry any diseases, despite their appetite for blood. Let's be thankful for small mercies

Yes, except microwaves have cold spots so you need to encase the item in cling wrap or put it in a sealed microwave container or sealed plastic bag and cook for at least two minutes - and fabrics may scorch within that time and you could start a fire. Plus you might get dead bedbug stains if the body explodes....

Yes, except microwaves have cold spots so you need to encase the item in cling wrap or put it in a sealed microwave container or sealed plastic bag and cook for at least two minutes - and fabrics may scorch within that time and you could start a fire. Plus you might get dead bedbug stains if the body explodes....
As I said just a thought!!
Back to the drawing board...........:)

The freezer works too although you need to keep the item in a domestic freezer for 2 days to a fortnight, depending on the item's thermal mass.

Apparently bedbugs get into books which is another reason for taking a kindle or smartphone....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The freezer works too although you need to keep the item in a domestic freezer for 2 days to a fortnight, depending on the item's thermal mass.

Apparently bedbugs get into books which is another reason for taking a kindle or smartphone....
Sadly, bedbugs just love electronic gadgets - it's the warmth that draws them, and there are plenty of little places for them to crawl in and hide. Bring a book and you can stick it in the freezer to kill the bugs, or just burn it if it's badly infested; not so with a smartphone! There is no answer to the problem but constant vigilance and tidy habits. Weary sigh...

Thank you for the ode....... It made me laugh out loud and the thought of bedbugs are bit less scary now..-:)

The bites have finally given up being infected that is the ones i treated with tea tree oil. it also removed the itch. The ones on my back that I cannot reach continue to itch and are infected.

That oil is good and I would recommend it as part of the camino kit. I would even use it as a preventative on my body before I sleep on the camino.

One benefit of using at night is the strong tea tree smell I think it is good for warding of colds and flu. Put some on your neck and it is good at coating the nostrills and prevents the flu from getting its first foot hold.

I also purchased some citronella body wash, I do not know wether it would be effective. Your thoughts? Shower with this
And tea tree oil before bed?

Any one tried cedarwood or cedarwoodoil ?

Were do I buy:
Perethrin? Can I buy in Madrid or Pamplona? (Not in Sweden!)
And use to prevent before start?!
Tea tree oil?
And all other good stuff to handle those little creatures?!

You can buy tea tree oil in portomarin, i tried maybe 7 farmacias before this and the oil is not cheap. that is where I got it. By then the infections of the bugs had taken hold, I had the sores for a number of days.

The oil would have have cut down the infection time had I oiled the bites before the infection took hold and went red. The polaramine anti histimine had nill effect -nothing. It was simply a bed bug bite and an infection. They pump in some saliva, acts like an anaesthetic, it is a pipe like bit apparently, and with another mouth pipe they suck out the blood. Who knows what becteria fungi is hanging off these apparatus.

I guess when the drill hole clots, they take another bite and then a third. Hence the three in a row pattern.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Oztrekker!

Now...
Permetrin to prevent backpack and liners...? Were to find that?
Anyone?

Well, I was hope'ing for a place in Spain. I'm from Sweden...

Well, I was hope'ing for a place in Spain. I'm from Sweden...

Lotta:

I was suggesting that, since it is sold in outdoor equipment stores in the U.S., it is possible the same type of stores might sell this product in Spain or Sweden.

Ultreya,
Joe

Manuka honey is another product that could help. It has an antibiotic factor and is quite successful against a range of germs.

Tea tree oil is powerful enough it can kill MRSA, then manuka might be longer lasting on the skin, being a honey gel rather than an oil. Maybe you could get a manuka honey infused tea tree oil by applying the oil then the honey an hour later after the oil has soaked into the bite/skin.

Thoughts, manuka honey? Can be used for burns, skin ulcers, and septic blisters as well.

These are natural products as well.

I am thinking this should be added to the camino kit? I would have loved to put it on amfew bites to see how good it works.

Manuka honey is another product that could help. It has an antibiotic factor and is quite successful against a range of germs.

Tea tree oil is powerful enough it can kill MRSA, then manuka might be longer lasting on the skin, being a honey gel rather than an oil. Maybe you could get a manuka honey infused tea tree oil by applying the oil then the honey an hour later after the oil has soaked into the bite/skin.

Thoughts, manuka honey? Can be used for burns, skin ulcers, and septic blisters as well.

These are natural products as well.

I am thinking this should be added to the camino kit? I would have loved to put it on amfew bites to see how good it works.
Thanks for the tip elsewhere about tea tree oil and rhinitis. My nose has been running like a tap for about 3 weeks now and nothing over the counter has been able to help stop it. I read your recommendation yesterday and last night put a little bit of Tea Tree Oil Gel under my nose. So far so good, no drips this morning!!!!!! I thought rhinitis was caused by an allergy but in the post I read I think you related it to a virus that you can get from pillows/pillowcases. Is that right? Another little item to go on my packing list. We had the gel because it cured my husbands foot tinea after years of trying things from the chemist. An enlightened local GP said it was worth a try. Thanks again.

A study proved that Tea tree oil cured fungal yellow toe nails in half the time of lamysyl in 85 percent of cases. It works on athletes foot/ tinea as well thats great - its definetly worth its weight on the hike. Also disinfectant aerosol spray is great for curing athletes foot as well. We have glen 20, pine o clean spray, it is ethanol spray. On the back of the can it saids it kills tinea and influenza. It kills 99.9 percent of germs viruses.

I wonder what the medical grade manuka honey could do?

Could not find it in spain though.

Rhino virus and corona virus on pillows is just a fact of life on the way. Plus people pick the viruses up on the aircraft or get injected with it as a vaccination.

I witnessed an american lady who was rotten with the flu and got charged 170 euros for some antibiotics. The doctor messed her around saying he was not going to prescribe it. Eventually he did. And she got better.

Her nose was discharging green and yellow, she was weak and stressed. All she wanted was amoxycillin and potassium calvunate. No big deal. She had used the drug successfully before on numerous occasions.

Where as the farmacy girl gave me augmentin without a script over the counter. 2 days my cold was healed.

It is the way life should be on the way, we dont have time for medical economic politics - we just need to heal and fast.

There is allot of corona virus out there from all over the world and the contagion is on the pillows and the beds. I think having a few colds on the camino is normal, so one should be prepared for that. Pack some antibiotics with you, at least two packs. I choose penicillin because it cures more than just a cold, so if I am going to cure the cold maybe I need to get rid of other diseases lurking around in my body. Anyway I guess I have an extra future immunity to those colds now. The down side of having the running nose is it makes you feel tired.

There is allot of different types of colds and flu on the way. Just stay strong use the tea tree oil, pack your antibiotics and you will sail through it.

Last edited:
@Oztrekker :- the costs of medical attention and prescriptions on the camino should be covered by ones medical insurance. Either you need to get a receipt and claim on the return home or the bill can be sent to the insurer maybe. Either way contact usually needs to be made with the insurer before seeking treatment. EU citizens get basic treatment with their health cards, but even so most of us take out insurance too. Ther is no way that treatment can just be expected for free these dyas, and rules on what can and cannot be sold 'over the counter' vary. We for example must hae a prescriptin for antiobiotics like penicillin.
Please don't blame the Spanish authorities or feel that they are ripping off pilgrims - it is how the system works and is different to our home countries very often.

@Oztrekker :- the costs of medical attention and prescriptions on the camino should be covered by ones medical insurance. Either you need to get a receipt and claim on the return home or the bill can be sent to the insurer maybe. Either way contact usually needs to be made with the insurer before seeking treatment. EU citizens get basic treatment with their health cards, but even so most of us take out insurance too. Ther is no way that treatment can just be expected for free these dyas, and rules on what can and cannot be sold 'over the counter' vary. We for example must hae a prescriptin for antiobiotics like penicillin.
Please don't blame the Spanish authorities or feel that they are ripping off pilgrims - it is how the system works and is different to our home countries very often.
Tia Valeria has hit the nail on the head: your medical attention and prescriptions should be covered by your personal medical insurance. Anne

Go to the pharmacy and they will tell you for sure then get the spray for all future beds and the cream. I got them in astorga and told them and they looked at me like what do you want me to do. My daughter who does not get them woke up to one on her pillow. I took all my clothes to the laundry and soaked my backpack in a tub in a hotel and happy to say no new ones. But the first thing I do in all places now is lift up the mattress and if I see blood I know they are there so I spray extra. I also quit using the albergue blankets and use my sleeping bag. I was actually surprised it took that long to get them

Tia Valeria has hit the nail on the head: your medical attention and prescriptions should be covered by your personal medical insurance. Anne
Yes but you need to read the fine print on the policy, the excess could be more than the 20 euro appointment and the drugs.

Yes for hospitalization its important, but for just a common cold the pilgrim could still be out of pocket. Its amazing how some insurers avoid having too paying out. Read the fine print. If you see a good policy then let us all know about it.

I wonder what the medical grade manuka honey could do?

"Medical grade manuka honey" is marketing spiel. It is New Zealand or Australian bush honey that has been heated to sterilise it, that is all. You can take any honey from the supermarket and heat it and achieve the same thing. Honey is honey. It is a natural product made by bees. It is always organic, always natural. If it has anything added to it, it is not honey. Manuka honey is just honey made by bees that have been feeding mainly on tea-trees. It has antibacterial properties, but so has all honey. Everything you read about it being some kind of super honey is rubbish. We produce honey made by bees feeding on Achacha blossoms (Google it). Now that's special!

What could medical grade manuka honey do? Taste good on toast. Just like Achacha honey. Or Yellow Box honey. Or Leatherwood honey. Or Banksia honey.

And if you want to smother yourself in honey Oztrekker, be my guest. Just don't do it near cockroaches.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kanga - something to justify its expense here? between £15 and £25 GB for a pot smaller than the average 'normal' honey which costs about £3. Just shows what hype can do :)
Thanks for the note about this - we will stick (not literally) to our own local honey which is great on toast too. :):) It is also being promoted as good for the digestion, but ordinary honey works for that also so I can enjoy it and feel good about it too. ;)
I must say that for a variety of skin needs we now like the aloe vera gel with added tea tree extract. I am thinking of putting a little in a bottle for our next Camino as it works well for both of us.

@Kanga
Thanks for the note about this - we will stick (not literally) to our own local honey which is great on toast too. :):) .

I like the taste of different honeys - they are distinctive depending on the blossoms. Some are quite rare (like our Achacha honey) but high prices just reflect marketing driven demand.

Come up with some good propaganda and you can sell anything. The way of the world sadly.

And if you want to smother yourself in honey Oztrekker, be my guest. Just don't do it near cockroaches.
I wonder how the Swedish girls from earlier in the thread would respond . . .:eek:

Just on the comments about antibiotics - please be aware that antibiotics do NOT treat viruses (ie colds and flu). They treat bacterial infections. These can sometimes accompany colds and flu, so anyone who recovered from "flu" on antibiotics would either be suffering from a secondary bacterial infection which the antibiotics treated, or it is a coincidence and the flu or cold was on the way out anyway. Over-use of antibiotics, either prescribed or when sold over-the-counter as described, is in large part responsible for the current global concerns about increasing antibiotic resistance. This is a real problem and an impending crisis in health care worldwide. Use of antibiotics when suffering from a cold is setting up the user for future problems, including serious antibiotic-resistant infections. Doctors who prescribe antibiotics in these situations are doing their patients no favours.
Sorry for the lecture, this is something I feel strongly about!

[Edit: More on antibiotic misuse from CDC and the Mayo Clinics]

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ivar, if I were young enough, I would have your babies! Great job mate.

Last edited:
Camino cold cure: hot tea with a slug of brandy and a spoon of sugar stirred in. Or perhaps just go for a walk and get some fresh air...

Camino cold cure: hot tea with a slug of brandy and a spoon of sugar stirred in. Or perhaps just go for a walk and get some fresh air...
Our version is a little hot water, a squeeze of fresh lemon, whisky and brown sugar. :)
Never tried it on the Camino, so have to stick with the fresh air only :(

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back