• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this bridge anywhere near any Camino routes in Portugal?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Would you go out of your way to walk across this bridge? Or run for the hills?!

It's the world's longest suspension pedestrian bridge - over 1/2 km long.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Arouca is 54km nw of Viseau which is on a camino .
See this thread

Last edited:
It’s also about 28 km from either Oliveira de Azemeis or Sao Joao da Madeira, both of which are on the Central Camino Portugues.

Would you go out of your way to walk across this bridge?
I would go out of my way to get far away from this bridge. 🤣 That’s not what the locals are hoping to hear, of course.

But it is pretty amazing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This reminds me of a suspension bridge for pedestrians over a river gorge in the Canadian Rockies: much shorter, but in its own way, just as challenging. The supports were similar: long metal twisted wire, fastened to towers on each end. It was possible to hang on to wire hand rails, which ran along the bridge at about waist height on each side. This was just as well, as the only support under my feet was wooden slats, some of which were missing. It was an adventure, and impossible to avoid to get where I was going. I never went back.

This reminds me of the
pedestrian bridge which carries pilgrims high above the auto-route east of Leon.
When I got there in 2010 the wind was so terrific that at first I could NOT MOVE! Seeking help but seeing no other pilgrim I backed down the ramp and calmly walked into a nearby car showroom. After I explained that I needed assistance to cross the slightly astonished but very elegant manager put on his coat and took my arm. Eventually we both made it across, wind-blown and breathless! With a casual 'Adios' he noted
that he had never walked the Camino and if it was all like that crossing he certainly never would! ...Later years whenever I successfully crossed that bridge I always smiled remembering that intense earlier relief!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would pay more than 12 euros. I have passed several points "con patio" (Spanish expresion that means vertigo) in the Pyrenees and Picos and think that the "vertigo sensation" is quite addictive if you can put up with it.

I would pay more than 12 euros. I have passed several points "con patio" (Spanish expresion that means vertigo) in the Pyrenees and Picos and think that the "vertigo sensation" is quite addictive if you can put up with it.
I assume you have been skydiving and if not it must be on your bucket list. 😅

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been looking at this too. Want to go there when I do the Portugese Camino. So far I've got the following info:
- Closest camino town is Sao Joao de Madeira (south of Porto); it is 34 km east to Arouca, and another 13 km to the bridge. I might walk this route and overnight in Arouca.
- From Porto, the end of bus route 9 takes to you to Baloiço da Serra da Boneca. It is 42 km (shortest route) from there to the bridge. For this option, I might take a taxi to the bridge from the Bus stop.
Would welcome other ideas on logistics.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would I go out of my way? In an instant! I have a terrible fear of heights which due work I have always struggled with. (I am talking metres here lol!) But a couple of years ago my friend and I toured France and Spain on motorbikes and I planned the route. One stop was at an English owned B&B (Ridersrest if anyone is interested, superb!) and while there the owner mentioned the Millau viaduct. I had heard of it and was not keen to say the least but we agreed to "go see". On the very long run up to it I expressed concern and told my mate I would get off at the next exit. He replied he was going over and would see me on the other side. Another exit, then another then last exit before...... I begged him not to leave me as we rode onto it. A few minutes later I passed him and left the bridge punching both hands into the air at ***mph!! Then I asked if we could do it again! But time constraints ( we had gone well off course to do the viaduct and had five hours to go before a bed for the night) meant no. The moral being always say yes, you can never regret it

next time in Portugal I will definitely do this one

In Nepal they have some pretty spectacular ones and the crossing gets even more interesting when you have to step aside to let the yaks and goats through!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back