• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this equipment ok?

Giovanni02

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino planned on July-August 2023
Hi, I was wondering if those decathlon socks would be ok for the camino del norte. They seem to be good against blisters, they are not merino socks though. Is it THAT necessary to buy merino socks?
Moreover, I'd like to ask some other questions:
1) is a 40L backpack is enough or if it is too much/too little space, I was thinking of buying this one: https://www.decathlon.it/p/zaino-trekking-mh500-40-litri/_/R-p-310102
I'm kind of on a not-too-high budget. Is this a good option for a 60-80€ price range?
2) As Shoes I bought a pair of Hoka Speedgoat 4. Is this a good choice?
3) Regarding t-shirts, I was thinking to buy some regular breathabls tshirts from decathlon. Would that be ok? Or would it be a good Idea to invest in a couple of merino shirts? If it is a good idea, then would these merino shirt from danish endurance be a good pick? https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0BHX4HP6R?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_RSBWW4NAB7J5CT9MHAFH

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504_202552.jpg
    Screenshot_20230504_202552.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 4,272
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All of the items you mention look like reasonable choices for walking the Camino. Any further distinction will be totally based on your personal preferences - comfort, weight and washability are the main considerations.

It is not in any way necessary or universal to buy/wear all wool socks or other items of clothing. I have a number of merino wool items. for example, but I prefer non-merino socks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't wear merino socks on the Camino, and obviously don't think that they are necessary. I like WrightSocks double layer socks. I do wear (homemade) merino wool dresses, but that's my personal preference, and don't think merino is necessary, especially if it's not in your budget. I would just avoid cotton as it holds onto moisture.

I like the decathlon socks. good quality, work perfectly for me

backpack looks good, more space seems to attract more stuff, which you may not "need". My pack is 30 which forces me to really check what I'm bringing.

Buy wool socks. Buy wool t-shirts. You will never regret it. That is all.
I would, but I am trying to cut costs as much as I can. I already have to sell most of my stuff to afford this camino. My parents do not economically support me enough for me. If next year I'll be able to save more money then for next year's camino I'll definitely go for wool stuff!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With all equipment - it is use what works BEST FOR YOU!

I won't hike in socks that aren't merino - but that is what works for me. That said - I had to buy a pair of socks at Decathlon and they were fine.

Backpack - it is best to get fitted and get the right size for your body (length of spine). Try it on in the store with 10 pounds of stuff in it, walk around the store, see how it feels. I recommend one with a hip belt and a chest strap so you can keep the weight evenly distributed and on your hips and not your shoulders.

Hokas - have you walked long distances in them with the socks you selected? Only way to know if they will work is to actually hike long distances in them.

Shirts - again - use what works for you. I only like Icebreaker merino wool shirts. But - you can hike in a hanes t-shirt from walmart if that is what works for you (although I advise at least something that is quick-dry and odor resistant). I do find my Icebreaker merino wool shirts last much longer than other brands. I haven't tried Danish Endurance - maybe someone from the EU has experience with them.

I would, but I am trying to cut costs as much as I can. I already have to sell most of my stuff to afford this camino. My parents do not economically support me enough for me. If next year I'll be able to save more money then for next year's camino I'll definitely go for wool stuff!
You'll be fine with Decathlon! They have a merino long sleeve that I've been using for years and it's still great. Shoes that are comfortable are the most important. You can walk in jeans and a button down shirt and you'll still make it! The important part is to keep putting one foot in front of the other!

I agree with the above - it's all about what works for you! For socks and shirts, if you're buying new, I'd suggest just buying one item at first, try it on a few local walks/hikes and then you can make a decision to buy another or a few more.

With regards to the socks you posted, I've got some of those and use them in cooler weather. When are you planning on walking? They might prove too warm in the summer.

Happy planning!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with the above - it's all about what works for you! For socks and shirts, if you're buying new, I'd suggest just buying one item at first, try it on a few local walks/hikes and then you can make a decision to buy another or a few more.

With regards to the socks you posted, I've got some of those and use them in cooler weather. When are you planning on walking? They might prove too warm in the summer.

Happy planning!
I'm planning on walking this summer... Yeah, they might get too hot. I already have 1 pair of those at home. I'll try walking in them and see how it goes. In theory they are quite breathable, but they might nonetheless get a bit too warm

You'll be fine with Decathlon! They have a merino long sleeve that I've been using for years and it's still great. Shoes that are comfortable are the most important. You can walk in jeans and a button down shirt and you'll still make it! The important part is to keep putting one foot in front of the other!

Indeed ! Shoes are the most important!
I am very happy with my Decathlon socks and the shirts feel nicer than the expensive Icebreaker.

Happy planning @Giovanni02 !

Hi, I was wondering if those decathlon socks would be ok for the camino del norte. They seem to be good against blisters, they are not merino socks though. Is it THAT necessary to buy merino socks?
1) is a 40L backpack is enough or if it is too much/too little space, I was thinking of buying this one: https://www.decathlon.it/p/zaino-trekking-mh500-40-litri/_/R-p-310102
I'm kind of on a not-too-high budget. Is this a good option for a 60-80€ price range?
3) Regarding t-shirts, I was thinking to buy some regular breathabls tshirts from decathlon. Would that be ok? Or would it be a good Idea to invest in a couple of merino shirts? If it is a good idea, then would these merino shirt from danish endurance be a good pick? https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0BHX4HP6R?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_RSBWW4NAB7J5CT9MHAFH
I prefer non merino socks for a Camino. Each to their own. I dont wear anything merino on a Camino.
I wear merino at home (but rarely next to skin) , but prefer quick dry stuff in Spain, and I wash my clothes daily.
The important thing is - are they comfortable for you?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Regarding the above:

1. I am a runner and considering trail runners as well. Specifically the Speedgoats, Saucany Peregrine or an Alteration. The issue is the foam in many road shoes last 400-500 km. In many cases the foam is the same between the road and trail shoes. I rotate running shoes each day so they last longer. Wont have the room to do so on the Camino.
2. Regarding socks I had planned to bring 3 pair of the running socks as the correct ones prevent blisters against heat and sweet.
3. i would consider a 34-36L backpack maybe even smaller. The important part is to get the pack sized right and get one that has an adjustable back to customize the pack to your specific frame.

I leave for Irun this Monday to walk Norte. Regarding socks … my choice is always merino wool with specific preference for as little stitching as possible in the tie area and anatomically correct (meaning left and right foot).
1. I have a 35L Gregory pack and find this fits everything nice and snug. A larger pack promotes packing too much or leaves too much space in the pack.
2. Shoes are personal choice. The best fit is best. I opt for hikers for stability. Keen Targhee III fit my feet very well.
3. I purchased merino wool tshirts from Decathlon … good value. I also have Icebreaker merino wool … excellent quality but pricey.
Buen Camino.

For what it's worth:

1) 40L is probably too big and will encourage overpacking. I try to get something in the 25L area. (My wife carries an 11L Osprey, but she's extreme).
2) I've not tried those Hokas, but I tried a different trail runner from Hoka, and the lugs began detaching from the foam sole after 100 miles. After 200 miles they were shot. I like Hokas, and have worn their running shoes on many a Camino (Arahi, Gaviota, and now Bondi), but that experience put me off from their trail runners. BTW, you don't need trail runners on the Norte. I used Gaviotas; my wife used Bondi.
3) For socks, I always use toe socks (Injini). Anything else will result in blisters where my toes rub against each other.
4) I never use wool (too itchy for me). Instead, one nylon breathable shirt and one COTTON (very light material and light weave) shirt. Same with pants. I don't care how breathable you think the wool is, it is nothing compared to cotton. And the Norte can get hot (even when we walked in October). Wear the nylon at night or if it rains.

YMMV, and there are as many experiences as there are pilgrims. These are just my experiences after 9 caminos (and counting).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just finished the Portuguese Camino 2 days ago and 2yrs ago, completed the Norte.
My pack was the 40L size and it worked well with me. I brought a few less things this time but the bag was still the right size. It weighed about 19 pounds this time maybe 21-22 last time.
Merino wools socks work well for me but this time I did have a blister. I used compeed and kt tape on the blister for about 5-6 days. Most of the people I saw this time had blisters. My difference was, I think the gortex shoes made my feet sweat and cause the blister. I should have stuck with my breathable Salomons vs the gortex.
Shirts, as long as they are not cotton. Those shown look good to me, look comfortable and not heavy material.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.