• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this feasible: picnic lunches on Camino del Norte?

kevinz

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello, all,

I'm planning my first Camino hike for the second half of August this year. I'll be walking the Camino del Norte, starting around Irún and walking by myself (no bag transport) for two weeks.

Instead of stopping in a town for a midday meal, I thought of buying supplies (bread, cheese, spoil-resistant meat [summer sausage], fruit, drinks, etc) either the night before from a grocery store or during the morning from farmer's and town markets, then eating lunch picnic-style somewhere on the Camino.

Is this a feasible plan? What kinds of foods would I find that would work for this? I'm not big on just fresh veggies (carrots, celery, etc.), but I often backpack with bread, cheese and preserved meats. Other than sodas and water, what kinds of drinks would I find? Juices? I remember one video I saw of a pilgrim who bought boxed gazpacho for lunches; this might be fun once or twice for me, but wouldn't work long term.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice. Buen Camino!

-Kevin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone has different tastes, but my wife and I more often than not just take a small loaf of bread, some sliced sausages in the non-refrigerated section of the supermercado, and some cheese. Round that out with an apple or orange and some chocolate or other candy and you're eating in style with a view that can't be beat! We just drink water during the day - it's always available and no worries about sticky containers and all that. If you come by a convenient bar that's open at a convenient time, the food you pack will probably keep until the next day, so an opportunistic meal is often a welcome option too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, all,

I'm planning my first Camino hike for the second half of August this year. I'll be walking the Camino del Norte, starting around Irún and walking by myself (no bag transport) for two weeks.

Instead of stopping in a town for a midday meal, I thought of buying supplies (bread, cheese, spoil-resistant meat [summer sausage], fruit, drinks, etc) either the night before from a grocery store or during the morning from farmer's and town markets, then eating lunch picnic-style somewhere on the Camino.

Is this a feasible plan? What kinds of foods would I find that would work for this? I'm not big on just fresh veggies (carrots, celery, etc.), but I often backpack with bread, cheese and preserved meats. Other than sodas and water, what kinds of drinks would I find? Juices? I remember one video I saw of a pilgrim who bought boxed gazpacho for lunches; this might be fun once or twice for me, but wouldn't work long term.

-Kevin
Brilliant idea, we do this all the time wherever we travel. Especially when we do the Camino or other long distance hike. We also have a flask and make hot tea to take along 👣👣👣👣

After about a week on Francis, a trailmate and I started buying a fresh loaf, packaged meat, cheese, small oil and fruit each morning and then had a picnic lunch every day. It was a good time to rest, chat and visit with the people walking past, whatever tree we were shading under. I now do it regularly when hiking at home.

Hello, all,

-Kevin
I think u answered most of your questions yourself. FYI u can buy 1€packs of cheese and or ham slices from many supermarkets in Spain. That with small loaf french style bread and fruit u can have delicious picnics everyday. Bon camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, all,

-Kevin
Yes picnic lunches are the best! It helped my slow down and savour the moment and I met some interesting people both locals and pilgrims. Also you will find like minded people for a shared picnic. Some of my favourite picnic spots were under the olive trees, sitting on a rock with the cows nearby, with my feet in a stream, watching the farmers herding their cattle, and on top of a little rise with a great view and the pilgrims walking just below me (no one knew I was there). And there was plenty of food to choose from. I enjoyed the little packs of olives and individual packs of yogurt keep well for 2 days.

I do not think there is a better camino to pack your lunch and eat as you are walking. Especially if you take the Variants that will keep you along the coast. I cannot tell you how many days I stopped and had a lunch or a snack sitting on a flat rock relaxed and looking out at the ocean enjoying a tin of Sardines or taking out my baguette, cheese, tomato and sliced meat and fruit and loving every moment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, all,

-Kevin
Hello, and I hope you have an excellent Camino walk. I completed a 10 walk on the Camino Frances in early May. I also would by bread and cheese for lunches. There seemed to be a lack of picnic areas for pilgrims to stop rest, and have their lunch. Lots of cafes along the way with outdoor tables and chairs, but if you sit there, you have to purchase something, defeating the purpose of making your own lunch. Sometimes we would buy a beer, but when it was cool, I brought a backpacking stove and espresso pot to make espresso.

My hope is that additional picnic areas are added before my next Camino.

My partner and I go to the supermarket deli counter and buy fresh cheese and sliced meats and fresh fruit and bread and I make up sandwiches for the next days breakfast and lunch. This year I’ve bought a new Swiss Army knife for picknicks and have made up a lightweight cool bag from a Iceland carrier bag

@kevinz, Yes, your plan is entirely feasible! I often carried the standard bocadilla supplies and added sin olives with the bread, meat and cheese for a bit of variety on the Norte....and chocolate for dessert or snacks, in addition to a small bag of nuts. Fresh squeezed orange juice is always a refreshing drink mid-day when available at the bars. I always looked to see if they had "the machine" behind the counter. We had no problem packing our own lunches, but I always looked forward to a hot meal for dinner/tea at the end of the day.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take tablet or a bottled electrolyte -- Aquarius or Kashi (sp?) each day. First day out of Irun is up up up. Beautiful scenery. Take some euro coins, there is s cold drink machine at the the bar (usually closed) just beyond the first ermita. By then you will be thirsty. Buy your lunch goodies in the supermercado near the albergue the night before you leave. If you get to Irun before 2 pm you can get your credencial stamped at the Cathedral office (to the left of the main Cathredral door), or after 9 am the next morning -- which is a little late to be leaving. If you take the high route (tough, spectacular) when you reach the radio tower/station the trail is at the very bottom -- to the right -- of the fence. Very faded yellow arrow in 2017. DO NOT try to bushwhack through the gorse! Stay on the trail. Best ever Tex/Mex chili with corn bread at the Yellow Deli in San Sebastian. One block north of the Camino in Old Town. Buen Camino

Your plan for lunch is great. On my del Nortes (2018 and 2022) from Gijon, we started the day, and after walking a half an hour or so to warm up, we would break fast with a hunk of bread and a squeeze of honey. Maybe a chunk or two of Laughing Cow or similar cheese. The café con leche and pastry would follow in a couple hours. But the squeeze bottle of honey was a winner. Buen Camino.

One day, I had lunch for two in my pack, but ended up walking alone. I stopped under a friendly shade tree where a guy was sitting alone. We never managed to figure out a language we had in common. To this day, I will never understand what language he was speaking, but we had a nice lunch together trying 😉. Head shaking and hand gestures was all it took!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kevin, and Buen Camino!

When in Spain I try to adopt the Spanish meal schedule. Spain does not eat lunch until about 2pm and dinner at night until 9:30 or 10 pm. Lunch at about 2 is the main meal of the day. Because of that it is difficult to find anything other than "pilgrim menu" (which is often not very good) for dinner at night during the hours we usually eat.

I'm not suggesting you idea is not sensible, but if you want to consider alternatives my practise is to start the day with just a hot drink and piece of fruit or yogurt or even cake, walk until about 10 and have a "second breakfast" at a bar, have my main meal at between 2 and 3 pm after I stop walking, and then have a few tapas at night. Or join other pilgrims for whatever they are doing (mainly for sociability!).

I do find it suits me to have a light meal at night, rather than something heavy.

Last edited:
Kevin, you're on the right track. I'd say a picnic lunch is almost essential on the Norte, where you often find yourself in the middle of nowhere at lunch time. We had many memorable picnic lunches, often with magnificent mountain or seashore views. Plenty of suggestions from others, much along the lines of what we did. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.