• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this forum bad for our health?

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
Social networking sites could be harming people's health by reducing levels of face-to-face contact, an expert has claimed.

Sites such as Facebook set out to enrich social lives, but end up keeping people apart, according to Dr Aric Sigman.

Lack of "real" social networking, involving face-to-face interaction, may have wide-ranging biological effects, he argues.

Evidence suggests that it could alter the way genes work, upset immune responses, hormone levels, and the function of arteries, and influence mental performance, says Dr Sigman.

This could increase the risk of health problems as serious as cancer, strokes, heart disease, and dementia.

Dr Sigman spells out his warning in the latest issue of Biologist, the journal of the Institute of Biology.

He maintains that social networking sites have played a significant role in people becoming more isolated.

Well!?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aric Sigman is a purveyor of soft science such as:

"These are not wild suppositions: they are based on hard, clinical evidence that has lain buried in academic journals.

For example, scientists at the University of Washington studied 2,500 children and found a strong link between early television exposure and attention problems by age seven which was 'consistent with a diagnosis of ADHD'.

For every hour of television a child watches a day, they noted a nine per cent increase in attentional damage.

Equally shocking was the report in the medical journal Pediatrics which studied the metabolic rates of 31 children while undertaking a variety of activities and found that when they watched TV, the children burned the equivalent of 211 calories fewer per day than if they did absolutely nothing.

The authors concluded that 'television viewing has a fairly profound lowering effect of metabolic rate', with all of the health risks that entails.

More subtle, but no less pernicious, were the results I found when I travelled the world to research how remote cultures have been affected by the recent arrival of television. By studying these societies, I was, in effect, going back in time to see how our own society might have been shaped by television.

In Bhutan — the last country on earth to introduce TV — I was appalled to discover that since the arrival of 46 cable channels, the country was experiencing its first serious crime wave. Greed, avarice and selfishness had replaced traditional values of peace and respect."

There is no attempt in most of his science to discriminate between causation and correlation, junk science at its worst.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This forum has been a wonderful way for people to connect who otherwise would never have. Not necessarily in person but in ways that have given them a sense of belonging to this Camino tribe.
I have had the chance to meet several members while on the Camino after meeting them here, and also have met another member while she was driving through Tallahassee. We now are friends.
I do not feel that it is bad for my health. No way.

Lillian

The Forum, as with many other forums, is where like minded folks can exchange information, examine experiences and possibly meet on the Camino, or another venue.

Now if you spent all, or most, of your time waiting for a response to your words of wit, or opinion pieces, then you might want to get out more.

Other than that...all things in moderation!

Buen dos cerveza grande...por favor Camino,

Arn

These reports make generalisations and don't always take into account the personality of the child, his/her family situation and other influences.
My younger son has osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bone disorder) and endured over 120 fractures between 3 months and 15 years of age. (Not counting fingers, toes and small bones in hands or ribs).
One year he had over 13 fractures which meant almost a whole year off school - we home schooled him through many long periods at home.
He spent many, many, many hours in traction frames, spica casts or orthopedic beds in front of the television. Our VCR was our saving grace! He participated in sport for the disabled from about 10 years, was head boy of his school, was the South African Wheelchair table tennis champion, has competed in 4 Paralympics in swimming and table tennis and in 7 other countries, is a team leader in the software developing company he works for and is an all round, happy, well adjusted, sociable guy.
Perhaps 'chat rooms' are the refuge of lonely people but Forums like this one that concentrate on a specific subject can hardly be called harmful!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rebekah,

Where have you been..I've been in Reb withdrawl for over 10 days!

Gosh, the Forum is having a dramatic impact on my mental health...drat! It must be true!

Buen Tres cerveza grande...por favor Camino,

Arn

Arn
I´ve been working on the beta-test for the new hospitalero program.
And I´ve been up in the Low Countries. If you were a blog reader you would not suffer these long droughts, you know! :roll:

See? Some of us still can switch off the computer for a few days... but only when there´s a Portuguese cooking, and the Dutch pilgrim bishop is pouring the wine!

Reb.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK

Now I'm up to speed having read your Blog. My daughter lives in Ghent (Norfolk) Virginia. It has canals and a lovely lifestyle to boot. But I'm still in withdraw.

Darn those weak, kneed peregrinos looking for a better place in the Sun.

Arn

i think that the forum gives many people the incentive to actually venture out onto the Camino, so that makes this site contrary to the suggested findings??

I think the initial question is symptomatic of a Western Society-wide fascination with things that "might be bad for us." A direct result of having so many things that are good for us. And the natural desire to live forever in perfect health, and ensure that everyone else does, too.

Reb.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I've been in Spain for 10 days and never touched a computer...and now I have 350 emails to look at (or delete!) and all these unread entries on the forum! However, I didn't miss not having a computer (at least briefly) and also feel that I have made many friends on the forum... so it is definitely NOT bad for my health.. except that while Im reading I might be out walking instead... oh well, nobody's perfect! :lol:
Happy to be back in touch,
Buen Camino,

Think of the Forum as an integral part of your lifestyle. As long as we get up each day...check the Forum...make a comment or two...return later for a response or new topic...it will become a part of our daily routine.

And, as long as the routine continues...we, your friends...will know that you're well!

So keep the logins coming!

Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back