Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Is this man and shop still present in Castrojeriz?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 86 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

Is he still there, after Covid is slowing down, and is his shop open?

His shop is at the main square of Castrojeriz, and I hope some walkers can share some light on his fate in these disturbing times.

Here is a thread I posted about him a few years ago. I know many (repeat) pilgrims really want some news about him, hoping he and his business is still alive. I know that if the shop is not open, he will now be walking the eternal Camino; He had nobody who wanted to continue his business, as he told me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Alex,

Rereading your linked thread brings back so many memories to so many of us. The name of this kindly gentleman/shopkeeper is Senor Amancio Yagüez.

See http://www.castrojeriz.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=4515

For the exact location of this wonderful shop, Bazar El Peregrino, and many photos of its gracious owner and the well stocked interior
see
https://goo.gl/maps/xU6VBdruzvB2

Like you I too hope that this special man and his wonderful shop still are active !

Last edited:
A very kind man and wonderful shop! I needed 3 things and found them all there in 2012. A light sun hat that I've used on every camino since, new rubber tips for my walking sticks and a patch for a rip in my backpack. My friend was having some blister problems and needed a break from her boots. She found a pair of perfect walking sandals there. I hope we hear word of him.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
I remember it well - my friend JoJo bought socks in there in 2016. An Aladdin's cave of pilgrim treasures!

According to Google maps they are open today, their details were updated just 3 days ago.

1634898508870.png

Good to see they still keep to the long lunchbreaks, good job there's a bar a few doors along.

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
According to Google maps they are open today, their details were updated just 3 days ago.
Not sure how reliable that is because Google displays information about two shops - the second one is definitely the shop of Señor Amancio Yágüez who is an old man in Castrojeriz but the photo for Bazar El Peregrino also shows him and that is also the name of the shop used in an article about him and his shop in a Burgos newspaper last year in August 2020. He was 88 years old then.

Castrojeriz.jpg

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Article about Señor Amancio Yágüez and his shop in the Diario de Burgos of August 2020 and interview in May 2010. He talks not only about his shop but also about the pilgrims and the Camino. The shop's offers have change significantly over the years. He thinks that it was in 1995 that he started to expand his stock to serve also the needs of pilgrims. And I see now that there is a newer RTVE article about him, with a photo, very recent: 13 October 2021! With a 3 minutes video!

Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Article about Señor Amancio Yágüez and his shop in the Diario de Burgos of August 2020 and interview in May 2010. He talks not only about his shop but also about the pilgrims and the Camino. The shop's offers have change significantly over the years. He thinks that it was in 1995 that he started to expand his stock to serve also the needs of pilgrims. And I see now that there is a newer RTVE article about him, with a photo, very recent: 13 October 2021! With a 3 minutes video!

Kathar1na,
What wonderful news this is!
So many pilgrims will be so happy to learn that Senor. Yagüez is alive.
Thank you so much for finding this and posting it.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino

I am overjoyed! Thank you, thank you!

He has everything a pilgrim could possibly need, and then much, much more!

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
Yes, he’s still there open for business and welcoming pilgrims in his store that sells everything. Cindi and I stopped by there Oct 1 and said hello. We didn’t buy anything this time but two years ago bought a backpack rain cover and kinesiology tape. I told him we always stop by since he sells everything. We took a pic outside his store.
Bob

Attachments

• DE7A142D-6D9E-4FD7-A57B-27A38AD17DF3.jpeg
    DE7A142D-6D9E-4FD7-A57B-27A38AD17DF3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

TMcA

Past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
It was amazing what was in that rather small store. Not only the nearly complete range of items but he had an insulated top and gloves in my wife's sizes also. Plus, as has been mentioned many times already, Señor Yágüez could not have been more helpful and friendly.

Trude

Past OR future Camino
Camino Francais 2013 Finnestere, Muxia 2013, 2017
Norte 2014, Francais, 2015, 2016, VDLP 2017
For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 96 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

His shop is at the main square of Castrojeriz, and I hope some walkers can share some light on his fate in these disturbing times.

Here is a thread I posted about him a few years ago. I know many (repeat) pilgrims really want some news about him, hoping he and his business is still alive. I know that if the shop is not open, he will now be walking the eternal Camino; He had nobody who wanted to continue his business, as he told me...

Yes saw him 2 days ago……

Dalieb

Past OR future Camino
Spring 2019
For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 96 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

I too stopped in Castrojeriz for the night in 2019. We went into his shop and chatted with him for a long time, I was shocked at how many pairs of shoes he stocked. Rally an interesting fellow.

LTfit

Veteran Member
What wonderful news to hear that he is still there. I had a long talk with him that last time I passed through in the winter and was so happy both to see him and be able to buy new gloves. I remember him saying that no one in his family wanted to take the store over and so he continues running the store.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Friediger

Past OR future Camino
ARAGONÉS 2019
For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 86 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

Yes he is still going strong. He is not that old as somebody thinks - “only” 89 😀

Attachments

• 8EB72324-31E5-439B-A947-26B35163187C.jpeg
    8EB72324-31E5-439B-A947-26B35163187C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59

Gadflyparexcellence

Past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018"
Kathar1na,
What wonderful news this is!
So many pilgrims will be so happy to learn that Senor. Yagüez is alive.
Thank you so much for finding this and posting it.
Señor Amancio Yágüez and his family shop are symbolic of a time and place that are disappearing fast in a changing world. In many ways visiting his shop is a reminder of the neighborhood mom and pop shops that used to dot neighborhoods in many small towns in America and elsewhere.
Any idea of who is going to take over the family shop after Señor Amancio Yágüez retires? It would be a huge loss should this place cease to exist.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
Any idea of who is going to take over the family shop after Señor Amancio Yágüez retires? It would be a huge loss should this place cease to exist.
Last time I spoke with him, he told me that none of his children (!; they must all be retired by now...) wanted to take over, so the shop will stop with him, unless some pilgrim entrepreneur is willing to give him an offer he can't refuse for a takeover...

Gadflyparexcellence

Past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018"
Last time I spoke with him, he told me that none of his children (!; they must all be retired by now...) wanted to take over, so the shop will stop with him, unless some pilgrim entrepreneur is willing to give him an offer he can't refuse for a takeover...
Sad. Perhaps the town/municipality of Castrojeriz can come to its rescue as a heritage of the community.

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
We need a benefactor who wants to eventually move to Castrojerez. You can be retirement age - heck, that's young. Make an offer the good Señor can't refuse, but let him run the place until he wants to retire. Meanwhile you can train under the master to keep the place going for the long haul. Someone with actual roots in Castrojerez would be ideal, but if that someone were there, they'd have already appeared. And they need the right attitude, because it's not only about cashflow. Alex, aren't you getting tired of those dark nordic winters? ;)

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Peaceable Projects Inc.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Past OR future Camino
We need a benefactor who wants to eventually move to Castrojerez. You can be retirement age - heck, that's young. Make an offer the good Señor can't refuse, but let him run the place until he wants to retire. Meanwhile you can train under the master to keep the place going for the long haul. Someone with actual roots in Castrojerez would be ideal, but if that someone were there, they'd have already appeared. And they need the right attitude, because it's not only about cashflow. Alex, aren't you getting tired of those dark nordic winters? ;)
I was thinking the same thing; somebody should buy the place and work under him to learn about his inventory and suppliers, etc. Castrojerez is one of my favorite towns on the Camino, those interesting little houses up on the hill on the way to the castle. Wish I could do it, but I can't.

1spiritedmom

Past OR future Camino

Yes he is! I bought socks and insoles from him last week! (Oct 2021)

MariaDunlop

Past OR future Camino
I bought a pair of Teva sandals from him in 2018. He was lovely and patient. After the purchase he said something in Spanish that sounded SO sincere, that he made me cry.
We passed through Castrojeriz a few weeks ago, but it was on a Sunday and the shop was closed.

RJM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A few times
Every time I have walked the Frances I have stayed at the municipal in Castrojeriz and have sat at one of the tables near his shoppe and enjoyed a cold beer. Seen him working and stepping outside. I saw on another thread about him he had a sello. Next time I will have to get him to stamp my credentials.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
I am. Very tired. It is snowing outside my windows right now. Pitch dark.

To be honest, I have pondered the idea for some time. None of his family members are interested in taking over. I do not need the income; I am retired and my pension is OK. But I need some education on how to run it: The biggest problem is the age difference: He is 89 and I am 67; I am not sure I have the stamina to follow his pace: I have seen him rushing across the Plaza Mayor in Castrojeriz some times, and he is fast!

2FAST4ME

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
But I need some education on how to run it:
You'd get that for sure. 😁
The biggest problem is the age difference: He is 89 and I am 67; I am not sure I have the stamina to follow his pace: I have seen him rushing across the Plaza Mayor in Castrojeriz some times, and he is fast!
Ok, Alex.
You're a spring chicken, and can walk whole caminos. No excuses! 🙃😜

Felipe

Veteran Member
An "expendeduria" in Spain is a tobacco shop. In the newspaper note, don Amancio says that the shop started as this,, with his grandfather; then it evolved as a pilgrim bazar.
Yes, a very kind person, and a shop that is a very useful resource for pilgrims. I bought there a raincoat and we talked a bit about Castrojeriz, years ago.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
To be honest, I have pondered the idea for some time. None of his family members are interested in taking over. I do not need the income; I am retired and my pension is OK. But I need some education on how to run it: The biggest problem is the age difference: He is 89 and I am 67; I am not sure I have the stamina to follow his pace: I have seen him rushing across the Plaza Mayor in Castrojeriz some times, and he is fast!
What is it that they say about the Camino … that once the thought of walking is in your head you’ve pretty much got to do it, so there’s no sense putting it off? Something like that?

The thought is already in your head, Alex. Go. 😊

grwcm

Past OR future Camino
Francés
October 25, 2021
Hello all!
I was in Amancio’s shop this afternoon and he is as delightful as you all have said. We chatted awhile and then I helped another pilgrim from the US who was looking for a money belt, which of course Amancio had. I’m glad he is still serving us pilgrims and is certainly an example of fidelity to his mission.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
October 25, 2021
Hello all!
I was in Amancio’s shop this afternoon and he is as delightful as you all have said. We chatted awhile and then I helped another pilgrim from the US who was looking for a money belt, which of course Amancio had. I’m glad he is still serving us pilgrims and is certainly an example of fidelity to his mission.
Another good reason to continue my next Camino planning. Need good socks.

Of course he has money belts.😂

Last edited:

TaraWalks

Peregrina without a skateboard
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016 & 2018, planning for Le Puy 2019/2020ish and for some shorter Caminos stacked
I am so happy to hear that he is still going! I will definitely make a point of passing through and shopping at his shop when I do my 3rd CF in June/July 2022 :)

Past OR future Camino
September 2018
What a lovley thread & outcome
I will definitely stop there on my way next time. (Sep 22) I'm well renowned for loosing stuff along the way so will be needing to restock some item.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads