• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this man and shop still present in Castrojeriz?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 86 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

Is he still there, after Covid is slowing down, and is his shop open?

His shop is at the main square of Castrojeriz, and I hope some walkers can share some light on his fate in these disturbing times.

Here is a thread I posted about him a few years ago. I know many (repeat) pilgrims really want some news about him, hoping he and his business is still alive. I know that if the shop is not open, he will now be walking the eternal Camino; He had nobody who wanted to continue his business, as he told me...

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Alex,

Rereading your linked thread brings back so many memories to so many of us. The name of this kindly gentleman/shopkeeper is Senor Amancio Yagüez.

See http://www.castrojeriz.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=4515

For the exact location of this wonderful shop, Bazar El Peregrino, and many photos of its gracious owner and the well stocked interior
see
https://goo.gl/maps/xU6VBdruzvB2

Like you I too hope that this special man and his wonderful shop still are active !

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A very kind man and wonderful shop! I needed 3 things and found them all there in 2012. A light sun hat that I've used on every camino since, new rubber tips for my walking sticks and a patch for a rip in my backpack. My friend was having some blister problems and needed a break from her boots. She found a pair of perfect walking sandals there. I hope we hear word of him.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I remember it well - my friend JoJo bought socks in there in 2016. An Aladdin's cave of pilgrim treasures!

According to Google maps they are open today, their details were updated just 3 days ago.

1634898508870.png

Good to see they still keep to the long lunchbreaks, good job there's a bar a few doors along.

According to Google maps they are open today, their details were updated just 3 days ago.
Not sure how reliable that is because Google displays information about two shops - the second one is definitely the shop of Señor Amancio Yágüez who is an old man in Castrojeriz but the photo for Bazar El Peregrino also shows him and that is also the name of the shop used in an article about him and his shop in a Burgos newspaper last year in August 2020. He was 88 years old then.

Castrojeriz.jpg

Last edited:
Article about Señor Amancio Yágüez and his shop in the Diario de Burgos of August 2020 and interview in May 2010. He talks not only about his shop but also about the pilgrims and the Camino. The shop's offers have change significantly over the years. He thinks that it was in 1995 that he started to expand his stock to serve also the needs of pilgrims. And I see now that there is a newer RTVE article about him, with a photo, very recent: 13 October 2021! With a 3 minutes video!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I walked through Castrojeriz, he closed the shop for siesta.
It was shortly after 1400 ;).
So I took a short break to drink something and to withdraw cash at the Cajarural near the roundabout.

Article about Señor Amancio Yágüez and his shop in the Diario de Burgos of August 2020 and interview in May 2010. He talks not only about his shop but also about the pilgrims and the Camino. The shop's offers have change significantly over the years. He thinks that it was in 1995 that he started to expand his stock to serve also the needs of pilgrims. And I see now that there is a newer RTVE article about him, with a photo, very recent: 13 October 2021! With a 3 minutes video!

Kathar1na,
What wonderful news this is!
So many pilgrims will be so happy to learn that Senor. Yagüez is alive.
Thank you so much for finding this and posting it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I am overjoyed! Thank you, thank you!

He has everything a pilgrim could possibly need, and then much, much more!

Yes, he’s still there open for business and welcoming pilgrims in his store that sells everything. Cindi and I stopped by there Oct 1 and said hello. We didn’t buy anything this time but two years ago bought a backpack rain cover and kinesiology tape. I told him we always stop by since he sells everything. We took a pic outside his store.
Bob

Attachments

• DE7A142D-6D9E-4FD7-A57B-27A38AD17DF3.jpeg
    DE7A142D-6D9E-4FD7-A57B-27A38AD17DF3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was amazing what was in that rather small store. Not only the nearly complete range of items but he had an insulated top and gloves in my wife's sizes also. Plus, as has been mentioned many times already, Señor Yágüez could not have been more helpful and friendly.

For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 96 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

His shop is at the main square of Castrojeriz, and I hope some walkers can share some light on his fate in these disturbing times.

Here is a thread I posted about him a few years ago. I know many (repeat) pilgrims really want some news about him, hoping he and his business is still alive. I know that if the shop is not open, he will now be walking the eternal Camino; He had nobody who wanted to continue his business, as he told me...

Yes saw him 2 days ago……

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 96 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

I too stopped in Castrojeriz for the night in 2019. We went into his shop and chatted with him for a long time, I was shocked at how many pairs of shoes he stocked. Rally an interesting fellow.

What wonderful news to hear that he is still there. I had a long talk with him that last time I passed through in the winter and was so happy both to see him and be able to buy new gloves. I remember him saying that no one in his family wanted to take the store over and so he continues running the store.

For many years, I have bought Lorpen socks & other items from an old man in Castrojeriz. He is selling everything you need on your Camino, as well as many items you didn't know you needed. He was 86 years old last time I visited him (2019), and he is a good friend. My question now is:

Yes he is still going strong. He is not that old as somebody thinks - “only” 89 😀

Attachments

• 8EB72324-31E5-439B-A947-26B35163187C.jpeg
    8EB72324-31E5-439B-A947-26B35163187C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kathar1na,
What wonderful news this is!
So many pilgrims will be so happy to learn that Senor. Yagüez is alive.
Thank you so much for finding this and posting it.
Señor Amancio Yágüez and his family shop are symbolic of a time and place that are disappearing fast in a changing world. In many ways visiting his shop is a reminder of the neighborhood mom and pop shops that used to dot neighborhoods in many small towns in America and elsewhere.
Any idea of who is going to take over the family shop after Señor Amancio Yágüez retires? It would be a huge loss should this place cease to exist.

Any idea of who is going to take over the family shop after Señor Amancio Yágüez retires? It would be a huge loss should this place cease to exist.
Last time I spoke with him, he told me that none of his children (!; they must all be retired by now...) wanted to take over, so the shop will stop with him, unless some pilgrim entrepreneur is willing to give him an offer he can't refuse for a takeover...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Last time I spoke with him, he told me that none of his children (!; they must all be retired by now...) wanted to take over, so the shop will stop with him, unless some pilgrim entrepreneur is willing to give him an offer he can't refuse for a takeover...
Sad. Perhaps the town/municipality of Castrojeriz can come to its rescue as a heritage of the community.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We need a benefactor who wants to eventually move to Castrojerez. You can be retirement age - heck, that's young. Make an offer the good Señor can't refuse, but let him run the place until he wants to retire. Meanwhile you can train under the master to keep the place going for the long haul. Someone with actual roots in Castrojerez would be ideal, but if that someone were there, they'd have already appeared. And they need the right attitude, because it's not only about cashflow. Alex, aren't you getting tired of those dark nordic winters? ;)

We need a benefactor who wants to eventually move to Castrojerez. You can be retirement age - heck, that's young. Make an offer the good Señor can't refuse, but let him run the place until he wants to retire. Meanwhile you can train under the master to keep the place going for the long haul. Someone with actual roots in Castrojerez would be ideal, but if that someone were there, they'd have already appeared. And they need the right attitude, because it's not only about cashflow. Alex, aren't you getting tired of those dark nordic winters? ;)
I was thinking the same thing; somebody should buy the place and work under him to learn about his inventory and suppliers, etc. Castrojerez is one of my favorite towns on the Camino, those interesting little houses up on the hill on the way to the castle. Wish I could do it, but I can't.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yes he is! I bought socks and insoles from him last week! (Oct 2021)

Every time I have walked the Frances I have stayed at the municipal in Castrojeriz and have sat at one of the tables near his shoppe and enjoyed a cold beer. Seen him working and stepping outside. I saw on another thread about him he had a sello. Next time I will have to get him to stamp my credentials.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am. Very tired. It is snowing outside my windows right now. Pitch dark.

To be honest, I have pondered the idea for some time. None of his family members are interested in taking over. I do not need the income; I am retired and my pension is OK. But I need some education on how to run it: The biggest problem is the age difference: He is 89 and I am 67; I am not sure I have the stamina to follow his pace: I have seen him rushing across the Plaza Mayor in Castrojeriz some times, and he is fast!

2FAST4ME

Last edited:
But I need some education on how to run it:
You'd get that for sure. 😁
The biggest problem is the age difference: He is 89 and I am 67; I am not sure I have the stamina to follow his pace: I have seen him rushing across the Plaza Mayor in Castrojeriz some times, and he is fast!
Ok, Alex.
You're a spring chicken, and can walk whole caminos. No excuses! 🙃😜

An "expendeduria" in Spain is a tobacco shop. In the newspaper note, don Amancio says that the shop started as this,, with his grandfather; then it evolved as a pilgrim bazar.
Yes, a very kind person, and a shop that is a very useful resource for pilgrims. I bought there a raincoat and we talked a bit about Castrojeriz, years ago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To be honest, I have pondered the idea for some time. None of his family members are interested in taking over. I do not need the income; I am retired and my pension is OK. But I need some education on how to run it: The biggest problem is the age difference: He is 89 and I am 67; I am not sure I have the stamina to follow his pace: I have seen him rushing across the Plaza Mayor in Castrojeriz some times, and he is fast!
What is it that they say about the Camino … that once the thought of walking is in your head you’ve pretty much got to do it, so there’s no sense putting it off? Something like that?

The thought is already in your head, Alex. Go. 😊

October 25, 2021
Hello all!
I was in Amancio’s shop this afternoon and he is as delightful as you all have said. We chatted awhile and then I helped another pilgrim from the US who was looking for a money belt, which of course Amancio had. I’m glad he is still serving us pilgrims and is certainly an example of fidelity to his mission.

October 25, 2021
Hello all!
I was in Amancio’s shop this afternoon and he is as delightful as you all have said. We chatted awhile and then I helped another pilgrim from the US who was looking for a money belt, which of course Amancio had. I’m glad he is still serving us pilgrims and is certainly an example of fidelity to his mission.
Another good reason to continue my next Camino planning. Need good socks.

Of course he has money belts.😂

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am so happy to hear that he is still going! I will definitely make a point of passing through and shopping at his shop when I do my 3rd CF in June/July 2022 :)

What a lovley thread & outcome
I will definitely stop there on my way next time. (Sep 22) I'm well renowned for loosing stuff along the way so will be needing to restock some item.

Happy to report that Amancio Yagüez, 90 years old, is still running his store. Lucía Pérez del Olmo, 82, has a grocery store in town as well. Sounds like two great places to stop.

@alexwalker, I thought of you when I saw this!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Happy to report that Amancio Yagüez, 90 years old, is still running his store. Lucía Pérez del Olmo, 82, has a grocery store in town as well. Sounds like two great places to stop.

@alexwalker, I thought of you when I saw this!
Wonderful news! Seems he'll outlive all of us mortals! A Camino legend! Time to pay another visit!

Last edited:
Judging by the the longevity of senor Amancio Yagüez, I should consider switching to a more Mediterranean lifestyle of olives and vino tinto. Not necessarily in that order, though... I suspect he will be waiting outside his store, keeping an eye out for me, long after I am gone...

Indeed. He is selling everything you'll need for your Camino, and many things you never knew you needed. I always drop in for 1-2 pairs of Lorpen socks: The best.

So thrilled he is still going strong and helping to keep pilgrims going on their way. I browsed his shop in 2016 looking for a knee brace. He knew exactly what I needed. Light and stretchy with just the right amount of pressure. Buen Camino Senor! 🥰

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just had a visit with Senor Amancio Yagüez in his shop in Castrojeriz. He is 91 now! I didn’t need anything but just wanted to say hello. He said it always touches his heart when pilgrims come in to say hello and that they remember him. During the 20 min or so I was there, 3 people came in and all found what they needed.
IMG_1081.jpeg
Funny thing is… earlier I was at the supermercado and was looking for Scotch Tape to add more pages to my credential. They didn’t have any and said there was nowhere in town that would. As I was about to leave Senor Amancio’s shop, I glanced at a shelf and what did I see? Tape! 😀

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.