• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Is this normal?

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
So, here I am, about 4 days away from finishing my first Camino, and I am already saying things like, "on my next Camino..."

I already have plans to add a Camino fund category to my budget. Am I crazy?!!

Blessings,

Ruth

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So, here I am, about 4 days away from finishing my first Camino, and I am already saying things like, "on my next Camino..."

Nope, you aren´t. Welcome to the gang. ;)

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Blessings,

Ruth

Yes but you're also crazy-wise Ruth..... like all of 'God's fools' (and you may bump into one or two others on this forum;))

Blessings,

Ruth

Absolutely not! I'm already planning my next one, with what I know now, my new backpack will be smaller and I'll be carrying a lot less.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello ruth,

You are crazy like all of us. The camino can be very addictive.

Congratulations on your camino. Maybe i will see you in santiago.

Blessings,

Ruth

If you're crazy then so am I. I finished my Camino from SJPP almost 3 months ago & I'm already planning to walk the Norte or Ingles. I love the Camino . Congratulations & Buen Camino.
Remy from Indy

Dear Ruth,
It is with a heavy heart that I confirm your worst fears; you are nuts. Your mind has taken wing and has left you a blubbering idiot. No doubt at this very moment you are wasting away with thoughts of crossing the meseta in the early hours of the morning, seeing smiles from strangers who wish you the best on your Camino, and sleeping with others that have a faint whiff of something that has gone past ripe and deep into the sour stage. It is also with some trepidation that I inform you that you will be daydreaming about your next Camino for however many days, months, or years it will take for you to return.

More significantly, the call of the Camino will haunt you the rest of your days. From this point forward you are damned to walk the Camino of joy and peace in all your dreams. God bless you and every other pilgrim that has joined all those others that have walked before.

Last edited:
Dear Ruth,
It is with a heavy heart that I confirm your worst fears; you are nuts. Your mind has taken wing and left you a blubbering idiot wasting away with thoughts of crossing the meseta in the early hours of the morning, seeing smiles from strangers who wish you the best in your Camino, and sleeping with others that have a faint wif of something that is gone past ripe into the sour stage. It is also with some trepidation that I inform you that you will be daydreaming about your next Camino for however many days, months, or years it will take for you to return.

The call of the Camino will haunt you the rest of your days. From this point forward you are damned to walk the Camino of joy and peace in your dreams. God bless the pilgrim that has joined all those others that have walked before.

I think I can live with that nuttiness :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Blessings,

Ruth

Would that I could tell you different, and if I could I should not, for gladly there is no cure, and if one could be found I would have to hide it from thee . So that you, like myself smitten to go on for ever, on an eternal pilgrimage daily. To return from time to time to the Camino to remind yourself of how things be with grace when walking to Santiago.
We're not crazy are we, really?

I liked the camino norte so much that after walking it once, I am putting my house up for sale, and planning to open an alberge with two other perrigrinos that I met on the walk, one of whom now lives with me. Crazy? Probably, but sanity has always prooved unispiring. I'm planning to walk all the routes by my 70th birthday. See you on the camino, sometime, somewhere...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Blessings,

Ruth
Oh! Well done! I think you bring us all right there with you. I have done only one short one but know that feeling and it hasn't left. I like your signature.

When you look at the pictures of contributors on the left hand side of their comments, you see a bit about them under "Camino(s) past & future."
You'll see from mine that I only discovered the camino in 2011, but I've walked one each year, ever since.
I am actively seeking medical help about this addiction, but have been told that the UK's "National Health Service" can't help me. I've also approached Saga Insurance, to insure against doing ANY more caminos, now that I've reached the age of 75.
Sadly, they won't insure me.
I think I'll just give in. My Camino Ingles starts on May 16th ..... and now I find myself wondering about the Primitivo for 2015.
Yep. We're all nuts ;)

Congratulations on your Camino, Ruth. You have been bitten by the magical Camino bug. I got bitten seven years ago and have dreamt of returning ever since. I return this year.
Thankfully there is no cure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I are yet to start our Camino it is do exciting for me to read your post.

How exciting! My husband and I walked from St jean pied du port to Puente de la Reina last September. He had walked the whole Camino Frances the previous year. My son and I are planning to continue from where I left off and walk as far as we can in one week.
I'm thinking of going to St Jean pied du port and then going by bus to our starting point. Any advice? Time is limited as I am a carer for my 90 year old mother.
Cheers Mcpilgrim.

Blessings,

Ruth

Hello Ruth,

Not in the slightest could you be described as crazy, stark staring bonkers yes most definitely. We all have that commonly known industrial complaint.........
NAMELY REPETATIVE SYNDROME DISORDER.
Only one cure known to mankind is to commence another Camino as soon as possible and be with like minded sane pilgrims. Everyone back home thinks we are mad, but we all have a secret.

I'M WALKIN IN SUNSHINE..................well I will be in 23 days.
IT IS WALKING, IT IS LIVING, IT IS FEELING, IT IS THE CAMINO.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Ruth,

Not in the slightest could you be described as crazy, stark staring bonkers yes most definitely. We all have that commonly known industrial complaint.........
NAMELY REPETATIVE SYNDROME DISORDER.
Only one cure known to mankind is to commence another Camino as soon as possible and be with like minded sane pilgrims. Everyone back home thinks we are mad, but we all have a secret.

I'M WALKIN IN SUNSHINE..................well I will be in 23 days.
IT IS WALKING, IT IS LIVING, IT IS FEELING, IT IS THE CAMINO.
Good for you and congrats to you. My wife and I state our Camino in September.

Blessings,

Ruth

Well, at least now you know the truth. We're all a little mad! It took me 20+ years to get to do my first Camino and this year will be my 3rd. ANd..before even doing this one, I've got plans for a 4th! So welcome to the nut house! It's way more interesting here! Normal..why bother!

Almost one year ago i walked the camino frances from sjpdp to santiago. I still think about this wonserfull expierience everyday. I look forward to walk the ruta de la plata in 2017. Appearently It hadden as much impact on me like It has on everybody else. So i think we are all a litlle bit crazy, but i like beeing a litlle bit crazy when It is about a positive expierience. So let's ben crazy all together! !!
Ben camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Really, who wants to be normal? What is normal? Whose normal is that?
It's more fun just stepping off the edge no matter what you're doing or where you are.

I lurrrve this thread!!!

My first trip to Spain to walk a camino was in 2008. I leave again in 4 weeks from today for what will be my 6th visit since then. The pay from my part time job goes into a separate Camino Account, and I mentally quantify the amount in there by estimating how many caminos it will cover. By next year I will have enough in that account to pay for a trip every year up to and including the next Holy Year in 2021 [ I missed the last one but am determined to be there next time ].

We have all heard references to "the lunatics being in charge of the asylum" - I wish to apply for the position of Head Warder, but there is fierce competition out there.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Last edited:
I liked the camino norte so much that after walking it once, I am putting my house up for sale, and planning to open an alberge with two other perrigrinos that I met on the walk, one of whom now lives with me. Crazy? Probably, but sanity has always prooved unispiring. I'm planning to walk all the routes by my 70th birthday. See you on the camino, sometime, somewhere...
Hi Malcolm
That is really following your heart or stepping off the edge. Very inspiring and wish u well.
Annie

Wow! An up-til-now solitary madwoman, I think I've found my community at last. :D:D:D
Looking forward to my (first?) Camino, starting out from Sevilla with Jamilla my hand-made donkey carrying my bag, beginning in less than three weeks.

Allegedly if a day can pass without you thinking about the Camino you are not crazy. But I have never met anyone yet who has or intends to walk who falls into that category. Certainly not me, I am definitely an crazy addict. So roll on May for the Frances/Salvador/Primitivo?finisterre/Muxia/Santiago if I can manage it all. When there I find it hard to stop, but have to a some point (I suppose).

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.