• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this ok?

Warge

Time of past OR future Camino
Future november
I have made it to ponte de lima from porto. Unfortunately due to time and schedule with the trip, i need to skip and take the bus to Valencia and continue the hike there to make up for my time. I will be fi ishing the 100km from valencia to Santiago on foot, but is it cheating for me to take thr bus now?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is not "cheating" ... pilgrims have always arrived by whatever means necessary. BUT: for the Compostela you have to walk, cycle or use a horse/donkey for the last stretch from Tui/ Valenca.
I hope you sincerely enjoy that leg of the walk. It's gorgeous. And when you get to Padron, go to the tourist office and get your Padronia certificate!
Bom Caminho.

I have made it to ponte de lima from porto. Unfortunately due to time and schedule with the trip, i need to skip and take the bus to Valencia and continue the hike there to make up for my time. I will be fi ishing the 100km from valencia to Santiago on foot, but is it cheating for me to take thr bus now?
Of course you are not cheating. It is between you and your walk. You need a solution to your time constraints.

But Jesus will know it if you take a bus or taxi...:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of course you are not cheating. It is between you and your walk. You need a solution to your time constraints.

Haha for sure. I wanted to do the whole way, but looking at my times, If I bus from porte de lima to Valenca, I will make enough time to hike the rest 100km, which I for sure will be doin!

It is not "cheating" ... pilgrims have always arrived by whatever means necessary. BUT: for the Compostela you have to walk, cycle or use a horse/donkey for the last stretch from Tui/ Valenca.
I hope you sincerely enjoy that leg of the walk. It's gorgeous. And when you get to Padron, go to the tourist office and get your Padronia certificate!
Bom Caminho.
Sorry, Padronia Certificate? Is that the same as the compostelas from santiago?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Warge Whatever you do, bussing, taxiing, hiring a car, or whatever, nothing matters at the Pilgrim's Office in SdC: What only matters, is that you have walked the last 100 kms into SdC on an official route, showing 2 stamps/day for those last 100 kms. They don't care about anything else.

Go in peace, but do not cheat on Jesus.;)

No it isn't cheating. Cheating is when you swear blind to the clerk that you walked ALL the way when you didn't.
Do the last 100km on foot (not forgetting your two stamps per day) and collect your compostela with pride.

Not forgetting that Jesus finished His journey into Jerusalem on a donkey . . . (let He who hath not sinned . . )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh no, it is not. It's one of those Tourist Office invented things that they like you to collect which justifies their very existence and validates their invention of a spurious bit of paper. It's just a souvenir.

The Compostella shows that you, the pilgrim, made pilgrimage on foot for at least 100km in a sense of.... [whatever] to the bones of an Apostle. (Well at least they hope you did).

Oh sod it. Go to Fisterra and get a Fisterania; go to Muxia and get a Muxiania; go to Sahagun and get a "half-way" certificate; turn up on my doorstep and I'll issue you with a "Survived a Grumpy Tinker and his Hooch" certificate. Provided you do survive the night.

@Warge, this is a sincere question. Are you making pilgrimage to the Cathedral at Santiago and the shrine of the Apostle or are you just out for an enjoyable hike with a pretty certificate awarded as a memoria? If you are making Pilgrimage or the other doesn't really matter. So long as you walk from Valenca you can claim a Compostela. What you did before and why you did it has no significance to the Pilgrims Office, the Diocese and possibly even the old boy himself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seems the Camino is peppered with certificates nowadays (sorry!)
Sure, but it's a nice one from an interesting town with a significant backstory on the remains fo St. James, and the search for the stone boat (as an archeological find, not a literal issue)... and the church there with the mooring that the boat was supposed to have been tied to... it's a rare place that feels truly sanctify to my own bones, but that one ... well, I hope that @Warge will be able to visit it.

Sure, but it's a nice one from an interesting town with a significant backstory on the remains fo St. James, and the search for the stone boat (as an archeological find, not a literal issue)... and the church there with the mooring that the boat was supposed to have been tied to... it's a rare place that feels truly sanctify to my own bones, but that one ... well, I hope that @Warge will be able to visit it.
It is indeed an interesting town, justly famous for its peppers or so I hear . . . . (I hate it when a pun falls flat - thank goodness for @trecile :))

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Warge. Don't worry :) The only pertinent issue to be concerned with IF you want a Compostela is the question, 'What are the Pilgrimage requirements to gain a Compostela?' The Church itself only requires a continuous progression of 100 km by foot or horse, or 200 km by bike or horse on a recognized route that ends in Santiago de Compostela.

Before reaching that 100/200 km requirement for the Church, where you begin your journey, the amount of distance walked or ridden and how you accomplish that, is solely for YOU.

Last edited:
The Church only requires a continuous progression of 100 km by foot, or 200 km by bike or horse on a recognized route.
I was surprised to find out that it's only 100 km by horse.

From the Pilgrim's Office:

• The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.

• The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.
Doing a pilgrimage with a horse is much more complicated than doing it with a bike or on foot. "Only" 100km with a horse is probably already a nightmare to plan. How to find a spot where the horse can sleep, how to find food for it, a farrier if needed... how to transport it back home after the pilgrimage or in case of injury... also horses stress and spook easily and need lots of training if you ever want to take them on a trip like that. Thinking about all possible options, doing the Camino on horseback seems the most complicated to me. With walking being easiest. People not used to horse riding tend to think you just sit on top and the horse will do all the work... but that's not at all how it works!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
🌶 🌶 🌶️ 😂
If you are in peppered Padrón do not forget to visit Pepe’s bar for a breakfast lunch or just a beer. bar Dom Pepe II opposite the church and the albergue. The Pilgrim’s experience in Padrón.

if you need a place for the night. He has a very nice appartment just round the corner .
I stayed in it. Great !

I found it to be quite interesting and full of history and 2nd only to Santiago concerning St James.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thank you. I edited my post with the corrected horse riding distance. :)

Doing a pilgrimage with a horse is much more complicated than doing it with a bike or on foot. "Only" 100km with a horse is probably already a nightmare to plan. How to find a spot where the horse can sleep, how to find food for it, a farrier if needed... how to transport it back home after the pilgrimage or in case of injury... also horses stress and spook easily and need lots of training if you ever want to take them on a trip like that. Thinking about all possible options, doing the Camino on horseback seems the most complicated to me. With walking being easiest. People not used to horse riding tend to think you just sit on top and the horse will do all the work... but that's not at all how it works!
I’m picturing the pilgrim & horse walking into Santiago, avoiding footbridges, pooping on roadways (does the pilgrim need to scoop & bag the poop in town?), and then what … is there a hitching post outside the Pilgrims’ Office where horsey can wait while pilgrim goes inside or can horsey wait in the garden?

I’d expect the villages would be fine enough to maneuver for horse care, but SdC?

Sorry for the hijack…

does the pilgrim need to scoop & bag the poop in town?)
Often gardeners beat them to it. It makes great compost.

s there a hitching post outside the Pilgrims’ Office where horsey can wait while pilgrim goes inside
Of course, if you keep your eyes open then you notice things 🙂

IMG_20190530_100608967.jpg

Horse parking spot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m picturing the pilgrim & horse walking into Santiago, avoiding footbridges, pooping on roadways (does the pilgrim need to scoop & bag the poop in town?), and then what … is there a hitching post outside the Pilgrims’ Office where horsey can wait while pilgrim goes inside or can horsey wait in the garden?
Pilgrims on horseback are so common in Santiago that the Tourism Office provides this information:

Advice for Entering the City on Horseback
Pilgrims planning to enter the city on horseback should notify the Local Police (tel: 092) several days before their arrival. The police will thereby be able to tell you the compulsory route and stipulated times, and give you an access permit so that you can enter as far as Plaza del Obradoiro and stay for a short time in front of the Cathedral. Immediately thereafter, the horses should be taken to their pre-arranged stables or accommodation.​

@Warge is planning to enter the city of Santiago on foot, however, and can enter at any time and on any route. ☺️

It isn’t cheating to take a bus/train etc if that’s what you want to do to fit in with the time that you have available. You don’t have to tell anyone either, just be honest with yourself.
I’ve not been bothered about the certificate at the end both times I’ve walked to Santiago, but I do like to collect a stamp everyday.
Enjoy the walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It isn’t cheating to take a bus/train etc if that’s what you want to do to fit in with the time that you have available. You don’t have to tell anyone either, just be honest with yourself.
I think I understand your intent, but there is a bit unsaid. The concept of "cheating" depends on violating some rule and/or depriving another person. I don't feel I am cheating in any way when I decide to take a bus/train on my journey. Nor do I need to tell anyone about it. However, I would consider it cheating to lie about it, particularly in order to get something that was intended for people who followed specific rules.

After a pilgrim's dinner at our alburgue, sharing a bottle of wine, with new found friends, we attempted to figure out what was cheating. Our conclusion was ... We needed another bottle of wine.

Only you can say. The only "rules" are those you impose on yourself and the rules for getting a Compostela from the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. You won't be cheating according to the latter rules, and they aren't rules for doing a Camino anyways, only rules for getting a Compostela.

If you don't impose any rules on yourself, you can't be cheating. If you do, you are the only one who knows what the rules are.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.