• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this the CF best kept secret? (Alternative route after Villatuerta or Estella)

LauraL

Time of past OR future Camino
French (starting late July)
The other day I posted about my good experience at a new albergue in Villatuerta, and said I would talk more about an advantage of staying at Villatuerta (as opposed to Estella) on a separate thread. Here it is:
At the albergue, I found out about an alternative route that goes via the Zaraputz ruins and Lúquin. This was in fact the original route, before Estella was built. I had never heard of this before. I did a search of this forum and only found a couple of threads that mention it, both very old.
I took this alternative route and can say it was very nice, passing through some lovely forest areas with lots of shade, and it was very peaceful except for the occasional bike riders passing by.
Lúquin was like a little oasis on a hot day. There's a municipal pool with a bar and I sat there in the shade for a while, slowly savouring my Calippo.
I can't compare it to the standard route because I haven't done it. Once you find your way to the start of this route, you'll see Camino markers all the way, so it's clearly an official route. It just puzzles me that it's never mentioned 🤷🏻‍♀️
People who are determined to have a sip or more at the wine fountain in Irache might want to stick with the most popular route, though apparently there's a path that takes you there too (see attached).
Cheers

Attachments

• 20220727_184959.jpg
    20220727_184959.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14,092
  • 20220727_185007.jpg
    20220727_185007.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 350
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It’s not a secret. It’s just that Estella is one of the most charming towns on the Camino, irrespective of the wine fountain. Estella is very much a Spanish city independent of, yet still very much part of, the Camino. I imagine the alternative route avoiding Estella is little discussed on the forum because most people want to experience Estella. If you become a Camino addict and walk again, give it a chance. I’ll wager you will like it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The detour which goes to Luquin but which starts shortly after the Irache monastery/fountain is the one that I always recommend. It was closed for a few years (or rather it was inaccessible) during the A-12 construction but for many years now there is even an albergue in Luquin (here).

I will say that the stretch from Villatuerta directly is not nice enough to skip Estella... for me.

It's no secret. That alternate route is shown in my ten year old Brierley guidebook, so I would guess millions have seen it. I've stayed in Villatuerta and Estella before. Both nice. No complaints. I couldn't recommend one over the other when I stayed at both. Just depends on one's walking route plans. Obviously Estella has more infrastructure, if that's a deciding factor for somebody.

The first part of detour also bypasses the Irache wine fountain.

It is possible to pick up the detour after Estella. That's the way that I went in 2019.

View attachment 130288
Thank you so much for the map. I have walked the CF before. If I do walk again I will take the Variante de Montejurra with your map.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The other day I posted about my good experience at a new albergue in Villatuerta, and said I would talk more about an advantage of staying at Villatuerta (as opposed to Estella) on a separate thread. Here it is:
At the albergue, I found out about an alternative route that goes via the Zaraputz ruins and Lúquin. This was in fact the original route, before Estella was built. I had never heard of this before. I did a search of this forum and only found a couple of threads that mention it, both very old.
I took this alternative route and can say it was very nice, passing through some lovely forest areas with lots of shade, and it was very peaceful except for the occasional bike riders passing by.
Lúquin was like a little oasis on a hot day. There's a municipal pool with a bar and I sat there in the shade for a while, slowly savouring my Calippo.
I can't compare it to the standard route because I haven't done it. Once you find your way to the start of this route, you'll see Camino markers all the way, so it's clearly an official route. It just puzzles me that it's never mentioned 🤷🏻‍♀️
People who are determined to have a sip or more at the wine fountain in Irache might want to stick with the most popular route, though apparently there's a path that takes you there too (see attached).
Cheers

Thanks @LauraL for sharing this. While this route is known to many forum members and mentioned in guidebooks, most pilgrims seem to follow the mainstream options.

I learned about this when forum member @annakappa posted about it some years ago - as a new forum member, I was very grateful for that gem of information. I'm sure others will equally appreciate your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers
I ended up on that alternate route accidentally after visiting the wine fountain. It was a pleasant walk through the forest, even in the rain. It wasn't until I got to Los Arcos and was asked which route I took that was I aware of my detour 😊

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Cheers
I took this route on a really hot 🥵 day by accident and it’s a long hard slog uphill till Luquin with no stops. I went the the other way this year for the second time and I preferred it but Luquin was a nice village to stop in so it’s definitely worth doing the alternative route

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had taken the main route from Estella to Villamayor de Monjardin in 2015. In 2017 when I brought family members, everything in Monjardin was booked. I was very disappointed as I had really enjoyed the Dutch muni before. It was then suggested we make a little "detour" from there and head south to Luquin, where the four of us stayed in the new albergue and had it all to ourselves. It was bliss after quite a long day.

Hola - @LauraL Thanks for a great, informative post. I too stayed at the Casa Magica in Villatuerta. I did look at walking the Brierley Green Option Route, but actual info was hard to come by. Your post hopefully will encourage more pilgrims who want to get away from the crowds and heat. Cheers

Cheers
I always like to hear of different variants on the CF. I suppose that Eunate from Obanos to Puenta can be classified as a detour? @mspath has posted quite a few variations- she must be one of THE experts on the CF.
I doubt if there was a hard and fast ridged route 1000 years ago. Indeed , Estella was but a Hamlet when the CF was in it’s infancy?
We should probably think of the original CF as a band of towns a few miles wide.
I always enjoy walking through Corporales and Morales on the way to Granon.
Thanx for your selfless share👌🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting to know! but, at the same time, skipping monumental Estella, Irache and sweet Villamayor de Monjardín does not sound like a great idea, I have done the official path, and I found it beautiful, it would not be easy to beat Estella, definitely!

I lived in Luquin and worked in Villamayor de Monjardín. My friends are still doing that. It seems that the last couple of years the numbers through Luquin have been increasing. And they are renovating a former convent in Barbarín, and have pondered whether there might be a future path through there. "Official path" is somewhat of a strange idea, since it has been re-routed many times and originally (centuries ago), what mattered was Santiago by any path.

Cheers
It is no secret but don't tell everyone :) I stayed there and loved the walk from Estella. If you walk it in the morning, you have shade almost all the way. It would be hot walking in the afternoon once you are out of the more treed area. The path is absolutely gorgeous and the albergue is lovely. The little plaza is a great place to spend time over a beer or whatever.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Planning on walking from Estella to Luquin as have heard the walk is lovely. Have stayed in VillamajorMonJardin 2 times, so it will be nice to see a new place.

I have walked the alternative from the path-fork right left after the monastery of Irache in 2013 and 14, and I also walked the main route via Villamajor de Montjardin several times. I tremendously liked the alternative, especially the second half with the fantastic views and the stop at the beautiful Luquin municipality pool, but lately, I avoided it because the first part right after the fork is quite steep and age takes its toll.
As I cannot find any description, my question to somebody who has done it: How strenuous is the alternative stretch from Villatuerta? What is the distance (no mention on Gronze) from there to Los Arcos, is it doable? On the map, the alternative bypassing Estella looks shorter.
I would not mind trying it out next time, it might be a good opportunity to stay again in the Casa Mágica, which normally is a bit too close to Estella for a stop on the main route. Missing the Irache wine fountain and Estella would not be any hardship, because I've passed there so many times.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back