• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this the inner experience?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all - here my ramblings again ..... pondering the actually rather rare life-changing "pilgrim experience" as I do, often actually ... I wonder .. ok, it doesn't happen to all, but some come to a realisation, a moment where all becomes clear, where they see reality as it is, not as they have been taught it is, and usually they burst into tears or burst out laughing, freely laughing, and they are changed ... and the truth is that once you have seen 'it', experienced 'it', there is no going back to who and what you were before - is how it is. I know someone who was met with this in a busy railway station, though it appears to have dropped away, others who just stopped for a moment, maybe to watch a kitten playing or birds flying across the sky, and there it was .... my 36 year old daughter recently had it on a holiday flight from her home in Dubai to Bulgaria, merely because the in-flight movies and sound were down and she looked out at the curve of the earth and for a time - there she was .... there she was .. totally unexpected, but there she was ..... and she wept throughout the flight, not with sadness but with a courageous happiness .....
Now, countless people throughout our history have tried to explain this realisation .. from a pithy few words .. Zen suddenness poems, Sufi stories, to long treatises - moderators this isn't 'religious' :) - and I have too, offered various fictional stories in the hope of explaining .. but I think Prince Ea, that good poet, that good man, that aware young man, might have just hit it on the head, nailed it in a pretty video ... what do you think??
Have you had this realisation during your pilgrimage? Just a random thought and random question ... all is well, all, is very well indeed ;)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A big hug to you, David for your beautiful thoughts. 1534461087688.jpeg
Yes!!! I (and many of us) know this feeling. I experienced it several times on different Caminos. First, in 2006 in Viana when on my arrival (completely exhausted) a window opened wide and I could hear a wonderful Spanish song. I guess it came from a radio but at that moment everything vanished around me except for this song as if it only had been waiting for me. I felt so grateful and delighted for having the chance to be there that tears started running down my cheeks. It was real catharsis. And the best thing is that now I am able to feel the same anywhere.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
David,
I love and understand the ‘we are one!’
We can experience this wonder anywhere in the world if we stop and think; however it is the special feeling I get moreso on the camino for some reason. Possibly because there are more people around who understand it.
Thankyou for sharing
Annie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'd say it's something different -- not fleeting and within the moment, those moments are more like stepping stones towards the inner life, or like yellow arrows of the Spirit pointing the way ; but the inner life is durable and always there, burning like a secret joy that never goes, not even in the midst of catastrophe or sadness or doubt.

The Camino can awaken it, but its home is within the soul, not on the Camino, not in the mind.

I had my first of many “peak” or spiritual experiences when I was 5. I was standing on a hill over looking a river. I looked up into the night sky and felt very small and insignificant... a breath later I felt a part of all life and was filled with complete awe and joy. This experience has repeated itself time and again throughout my life. As I near the start of my first Camino I know I will most likely, at some time along the way, have another peak or spiritual awakening... If you open yourself to the possibilities... possibilities happen! Buen Camino

I am wrestling with the emotions you are describing in your post right now. I am in the process of planning my camino and I found myself asking: "What is it that I am looking for?" Why do I feel so lost?" "Who am I? I'm hoping my journey will grant me the self-discovery I so desperately need. Thank you for sharing your timely post!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all - here my ramblings again ..... pondering the actually rather rare life-changing "pilgrim experience" as I do, often actually ... I wonder .. ok, it doesn't happen to all, but some come to a realisation, a moment where all becomes clear, where they see reality as it is, not as they have been taught it is, and usually they burst into tears or burst out laughing, freely laughing, and they are changed ... and the truth is that once you have seen 'it', experienced 'it', there is no going back to who and what you were before - is how it is. I know someone who was met with this in a busy railway station, though it appears to have dropped away, others who just stopped for a moment, maybe to watch a kitten playing or birds flying across the sky, and there it was .... my 36 year old daughter recently had it on a holiday flight from her home in Dubai to Bulgaria, merely because the in-flight movies and sound were down and she looked out at the curve of the earth and for a time - there she was .... there she was .. totally unexpected, but there she was ..... and she wept throughout the flight, not with sadness but with a courageous happiness .....
Now, countless people throughout our history have tried to explain this realisation .. from a pithy few words .. Zen suddenness poems, Sufi stories, to long treatises - moderators this isn't 'religious' :) - and I have too, offered various fictional stories in the hope of explaining .. but I think Prince Ea, that good poet, that good man, that aware young man, might have just hit it on the head, nailed it in a pretty video ... what do you think??
Have you had this realisation during your pilgrimage? Just a random thought and random question ... all is well, all, is very well indeed ;)

This is amazing. YEs, yes, yes! Thanks so much for posting

This is my first camino, as the Prince Ea said I spent many years of should'a, could'a, would'a, last year I had health problems which ultimately resulted in reconsidering my life, time is short, here for a good time not a long time etc. I experienced many moments of that inner contentment, overwhelming moments triggered by small acts of kindness, nature's absolute beauty, observing life going on whilst in the solitary bubble of the camino! I found my happy place and hope to carry that inner peace back to reality..... If not I always have the camino to reconnect with it! Buen camino, the best!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thank you for this beautiful and thought provoking post.

I love that you wrote this post and the attachment, I woke up feeling really flat this morning, something that is happening a bit too often lately, and reading and watching this has brought me to tears, but in a good way, it takes me back to the CF in 2014 where it became for me a very meditative experience, I am hopeful to get that same feeling again in a few weeks on the CP...........thanks again

I embark on my first Camino, partial, in two months. But I had a similar moment of clarity almost three years ago hiking the 2.2-km Chemin de Nietzsche on the French Riviera. There was a moment of connection to my late father, who loved to hike, and an awareness of being in the moment, my every pretense of who and what I was now stripped away.

The irony is, up until that point, I hated hiking. I'm using the word hate here. Also, I approached the Chemin de Nietzsche with trepidation because I was 52, not in great shape, and I feared the midway moment on this very steep path where I would hit exhaustion or boredom and be "trapped," unable to go forward or back, no means of transport other than my feet.

I have no idea why I attempted to hike the Chemin de Nietzsche, given all of the above, but I did it, and I completed it. Two weeks later, I hiked the Chemin de La Turbie above Monaco. A year later, I came back and did them both again. Last March, I hiked up to the top of Murchison Falls in Uganda. On all hikes, I have felt the very real internal shift you speak of.

And now, the Camino. I wish I had time for the full walk, but I'm limited to a couple of weeks so I'm starting in Sarria, going to Santiago de Compostela, Finisterre, and Muxia. I'm 55 now... and for the first 52 years of my life I hated hiking.

What a long strange trip it's been

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back