• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this the loveliest thing in Spain?

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
Probably not, but today in Soria I was astonished at the beauty of the semi-ruined cloisters of the former Templar monastery of San Juan de Duero. The site, just by a mediaeval bridge over the Duero out of town, the modest size and the amazing mix of Romanesque, Gothic and Mudéjar - just wonderful. It's now up in my top ten Spanish sights, mostly encountered on the camino, alongside the Mezquita in Córdoba, the riverscape at Zamora, the Visigothic Santa Lucía del Trampal in Extremadura, the Patio de las Doncellas at the Alcázar in Seville, the view down onto Segovia from the Puerto de la Fuenfría, the twin cathedrals at Salamanca, the Roman theatre at Mérida, the walls at Ávila, El Greco's view down onto Toledo from the south and, oh bother, that's 10 already and I haven't even got to Galicia.

DSC_0618.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And you've yet to discover other wonderful sights on caminos like San Juan de la Peña monastery on the camino catalán por S. Juan de la Peña (and close enough to the camino aragonés as to visit it as a detour so you can visit it from 2 caminos)...

Soria is truly a much-ignored treasure chest!

Indeed! Not only the city of Soria but also its province has some great hidden gems (both arquitectonic and natural).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Probably not, but today in Soria I was astonished at the beauty of the semi-ruined cloisters of the former Templar monastery of San Juan de Duero. The site, just by a mediaeval bridge over the Duero out of town, the modest size and the amazing mix of Romanesque, Gothic and Mudéjar - just wonderful. It's now up in my top ten Spanish sights, mostly encountered on the camino, alongside the Mezquita in Córdoba, the riverscape at Zamora, the Visigothic Santa Lucía del Trampal in Extremadura, the Patio de las Doncellas at the Alcázar in Seville, the view down onto Segovia from the Puerto de la Fuenfría, the twin cathedrals at Salamanca, the Roman theatre at Mérida, the walls at Ávila, El Greco's view down onto Toledo from the south and, oh bother, that's 10 already and I haven't even got to Galicia.

View attachment 22087
Maybe the most famous but in Spain, but there are many treasures (not of money or gold) hidden in rural areas. Search "CIENLEGUASALAREDONDA"

And another one to add to my top 10, this serene and simple little beauty is the pre-Romanesque San Salvador de Valdediós (893AD), in the part of Spain never conquered by the Moors, near where the Primitivo splits from the Norte a few hours from Villaviciosa.

DSC_0678.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have only been to one of your two selections, but am looking forward to visiting San Juan de Duero in June when I trace your footsteps on the Ruta del Ebro! I do think Valdedios is one of the most beautiful peaceful places in Spain. Nestled there in the valley, it it just amazing that it sits there unscathed and without development all around it, except for the Monastery nearby. Alan, I forgot to ask you this -- when I was in Valdedios years ago, they told us the monastery was sinking because of the high water table. Do you know if it's been stabilized?

when I was in Valdedios years ago, they told us the monastery was sinking because of the high water table. Do you know if it's been stabilized?

The slightly melancholy young guide didn't mention sinking, but he did say the archbishopric hopes to put monks back in the place, and they've managed to secure some quite significant EU and government grants for restoration work, so it sounds as if they've not given up yet.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back