• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this why we all walk in the same direction on Camino??

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Two pilgrims ... nothing else in sight - is this why we walk all walk westward???

Note: For any who think I am making fun of women - this is from a long gone UK TV series Smack the Pony, written, acted in, produced by, women - great comedy sketch show - find it on Youtube!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Certainly has its advantages, doen't it!
Mind you, the morning that I left Ponferrada, I realised that I was walking towards the rising sun.
I always find the first few days navigating in the northern hemisphere difficult, but this was days into my camino, and did result in several minutes of extreme confusion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Certainly has its advantages, doen't it!
Mind you, the morning that I left Ponferrada, I realised that I was walking towards the rising sun.
I always find the first few days navigating in the northern hemisphere difficult, but this was days into my camino, and did result in several minutes of extreme confusion.

I had a similar but different thing when I first visited Australia back in '65 - the stars!! Where were my stars!! I just stared and stared - for a few moments it was like being on an alien planet!!

G'day @David, Where were your stars?? We have nearly twice as many stars visible in the Southern Sky and we have so much less light pollution.
Additionally we in the Great South Land via our First Nations People decided that those "old stars" were no longer required, so new, better ones were adopted (such as the Southern Cross) oh and we decided to turn Orion the right way up so that the saucepan would be more useful. The Indigenous elders even determine their own "constellations" such as the Giant Emu. Cheres

Had an extremely unsettling moment one day in my 18 wheeler.
The Interstate 10 runs east and west across the bottom of the US.
Due to extreme work loads,highway direction and seasonal changes to the moon rise..I found my sorry now somewhat terrified self looking at the full moon rising up over the road from an unfamiliar place...
Almost as scary as seeing a giant fireball fly over me one nite in ohio...I thought I had missed the sign saying railroad crossing and was gonna die...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
G'day @David, Where were your stars?? We have nearly twice as many stars visible in the Southern Sky and we have so much less light pollution.
Additionally we in the Great South Land via our First Nations People decided that those "old stars" were no longer required, so new, better ones were adopted (such as the Southern Cross) oh and we decided to turn Orion the right way up so that the saucepan would be more useful. The Indigenous elders even determine their own "constellations" such as the Giant Emu. Cheres

G'Day! apologies, I didn't mean you don't have any stars, I meant where were MY stars - the constellations were different. It was like being on another planet and seeing a new night sky - mind you, in 1965 being in Australia seemed like being on a different planet anyway ;)

I had a similar but different thing when I first visited Australia back in '65 - the stars!! Where were my stars!! I just stared and stared - for a few moments it was like being on an alien planet!!
"Estrella" or star-related; in Abidiana, Brazil for several weeks, this North American woman fulfilled a lifetime dream to gaze up at the Southern Hemisphere's Southern Cross (and it IS!), hearing in my head Richard Rodgers wonderful rhumba music, "Beneath the Southern Cross" from "Victory at Sea". I apologize! Off topic! Bad Cath! Only ... the Camino, too, now that is by plane a dozen hours away near and, by COVID-19, so pandemically far, I continue to pray I shall feel its unique music in my mind, body and soul once again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had an hour walking on the Le Puy route with my friend going in the wrong direction. It was a cloudy day so the sun was no help. I knew the nearby river was supposed to be on our right side (not the left), but she insisted we were going in the right direction. I finally convinced her otherwise and had to retrace our steps.

Thank you for reminding me of Smack the Pony. Great show! It had me in stiches every time I watched it.

Thank you for reminding me of Smack the Pony. Great show! It had me in stiches every time I watched it.

Did you ever see the film they made? Gladiatress? Is brilliant. Available 2ndhand on Ebay and to rent on Youtube movies - here the trailer if you missed it - very funny, very them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back