• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this your 1st Camino? If so, What are your expectations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have and will not have any expectations until I am sitting in my seat on the plane headed for Portugal. Things are still iffy for Canadians as our government has not lifted the "non-essential travel" from Portugal so I hesitate a little because of that. I so want to go but I am still on "wait and see" how things unroll over the next month and a half.

If things work out, I will keep my expectations down to "I hope my feet don't give out"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Originally planned CF in May, now end of the month to start 31/7/21, if all goes well. Expectations are still the same; excited, enthusiastic but still wondering about the day to day routines and settling into them as routine has seldom been a part of my life. Is it time to panic yet?
Buen Camino to all past, current and future pilgrims.

I expect that the Pyrenees wont finish me off!! Lol. My expectations are low. I just want to make it day by day. I have anxiety about not being physically and mentally fit enough to get me through. I hope and pray that I make it on the other side with peace and clarity 💕

I expect that the Pyrenees wont finish me off!! Lol. My expectations are low. I just want to make it day by day. I have anxiety about not being physically and mentally fit enough to get me through. I hope and pray that I make it on the other side with peace and clarity 💕
People make waaaay to much of the Pyrenees. The walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is really in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Yes, it's a lot of uphill walking, but mostly on paved roads and maintained paths. It's not mountaneering!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I leave USA on 10Sept21 and return on 30Oct21 for my first Camino. I hope that I’ve given myself enough time to complete. My expectations are that it will challenge me, that I will gain insights into my life, that I will make great friends, and that it will be painful at times but memorable at all times. Buen Camino to all!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This question has been posted several times in the past. With the hiatus brought about by COVID on walking the Way and the significant number of 1st Timers that have delayed their plans, I'm sure your original expectations may have changed, or not.
Have you modified your initial expectations, or is all still in place?
Buen "here I came" Camino
Arn
The best advice I was given is, Have no expectations and you will not have any disappointment. Over my walks I have seen so many disappointed because they had seen a movie or read a book (someone else’s Camino not yours) and when they could not find the alburge or see the burner swing etc they were disappointed. Just go with the road and keep you eyes and hearts open and you will see beauty every day, even in the rain.

I’ve seen some fly over the Pyrenees and I’ve witnessed some struggle. For me it was a shocker especially during the first stretch to Orisson, it’s very steep. However I made it (twice) and I’m sure you will too. For me it’s more about mental endurance than physical strength. Put your head in the game and your body will follow. You’ve got this. Remember the hardest part is getting there. Then it’s just walk, eat, sleep, repeat. Cherish the smiles and the tears. 💞 Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Same for me. Toronto is so flat that the one hill we do have is called Mount Pleasant. 😄
I think there are other reasons for the "pleasant", name, as it is a nice place to spend eternity.

Toronto isn't exactly flat. The lake it's on once was much larger and the old shoreline is marked by some hills. Casa Loma is on the top of one such, marking the ancient shorelines. As well, there are some nice river valleys and ravines, which can involve some descents and climbs to get into and out of. Myself, I'm located on the top of the Scarborough Bluffs, so my daily walk has a nice descent to get to the lakeshore and a nice climb afterwards to get back to the top.

We are certainly not in mountainous terrain, but if you want hills to climb, they are there.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back