• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Villada on the Camino de Madrid?

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
I’m staying currently at the Peaceable Kingdom, Rebekah and Paddy’s place in Moratinos, and it’s not that far south by coche to the small town of Villada. Villada has a pilgrim albergue and camino signage, but it isn’t on the Francés route, so it has to be on the Madrid route; Yes? However, I walked this route a couple of years ago and didn’t pass through this town; and a ‘comprehensive’ list of CdM accommodation posted to this forum makes no mention of it, either.
I’m sure Rebekah will answer my query on her return from an overseas trip, but I’m curious to know what others think, especially if someone has actually spent a night there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m staying currently at the Peaceable Kingdom, Rebekah and Paddy’s place in Moratinos, and it’s not that far south by coche to the small town of Villada. Villada has a pilgrim albergue and camino signage, but it isn’t on the Francés route, so it has to be on the Madrid route; Yes? However, I walked this route a couple of years ago and didn’t pass through this town; and a ‘comprehensive’ list of CdM accommodation posted to this forum makes no mention of it, either.
I’m sure Rebekah will answer my query on her return from an overseas trip, but I’m curious to know what others think, especially if someone has actually spent a night there.
It isn't on Madrid either but this link gives some more info why is there albergue:
http://villada.es/index.php/turismo/comer-y-dormir/
And more on albergue itself:
http://www.elcaminoasantiago.com/albergues/frances/alberguesVillada.htm

Obviously Frances has one more detour approximately from Calzadilla de la Cueza (or even Carrion de los Condes) through Cervatos de la Cueza, San Roman de la Cuba, Villada, Grajal de Campos and to Sahagun. Not as straight line as current Frances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, it is, sort of. The Ayuntamiento de Villada (Town Council) website says:

Albergue de Peregrinos
La Asociación Antiguo Camino tradicional de Santiago de Villada es titular de la iniciativa y lleva muchos años trabajando por ofrecer una alternativa de la Ruta del Camino Francés tal como figura en el primer mapa que se editó del Camino elaborado en el año 1648 “Carte de Chemins de St Jacques de Compostelle”, y que reproduce el recorrido desde Cervatos de la Cueza a Sahagún de Campos, pasando por San Roman de la Cuba, Pozo de Urama, Villada y Grajal de Campos.

Para esta Asociación villadina era fundamental ofrecer al peregrino y viajero que optase por esta alternativa un lugar de descanso y reposo y gracias a su constancia y grandes esfuerzos han conseguido contar ya con un Albergue de Peregrinos con capacidad para veinte personas que ademas de alojamiento ofrece servicios comunes, cocina, baños y duchas, calefaccion, etc.

Which loosely translates as:

Pilgrims Hostel
The Old Traditional Way Association of Santiago de Villada is the owner of the initiative and has been working for many years to offer an alternative of the French Way Route as it appears in the first map that was published of the Way elaborated in the year 1648 "Carte de Chemins of St Jacques de Compostelle ", and that reproduces the route from Cervatos de la Cueza to Sahagún de Campos, passing through San Roman de la Cuba, Pozo de Urama, Villada and Grajal de Campos.

For this Villadina Association was essential to offer pilgrims and travelers who choose this alternative a place of rest and rest (yes, I know, but descanso and reposo both mean pretty much the same in English) and thanks to their perseverance and great efforts have already managed to have a Pilgrim Hostel with capacity for twenty people in addition to accommodation offers services common, kitchen, bathrooms and showers, heating, etc.

I have been to Villada, also from the Peaceable (maybe you were lucky and the restaurant was serving cochinillo?). I think it is an alternative used mainly by cyclists, not directly on the route. But apparently it used to be on the Francés. http://villada.es/index.php/turismo/comer-y-dormir/
I think that if you are walking the Madrid, you can make your own detour from Grajal and that way not have to walk “backwards” from Sahagún to the Peaceabe.

Hope all is well in Moratinos and that you enjoy your stay in Peaceable. A few people headed to the Salvador may be stopping by in a few days. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Old Traditional Way Association of Santiago de Villada is the owner of the initiative and has been working for many years to offer an alternative of the French Way Route as it appears in the first map that was published of the Way elaborated in the year 1648 "Carte de Chemins of St Jacques de Compostelle ", and that reproduces the route from Cervatos de la Cueza to Sahagún de Campos, passing through San Roman de la Cuba, Pozo de Urama, Villada and Grajal de Campos.
It's quite likely that pilgrims walked through Villada on their way to Compostela, as is the case with many other villages to the right and left of the modern Camino Francés track that never get a mention in modern guidebooks and hardly a visit by peregrinos.

However, the Association ought to find better arguments than the map "elaborated in the year 1648 'Carte de Chemins of St Jacques de Compostelle'". First of all, this map was not elaborated in 1648 but in the 20th century. It is an artistic map, created by Daniel Derveaux who produced numerous similar fictive maps. It does not show medieval roads. The map is popular and was or is still sold also by museum shops etc.

More info for example here: http://www.maphistory.info/fakesintro.html#Derveaux . The French scholar
D. Péricard-Méa has also written about this topic in detail: http://www.saint-jacques.info/fausse-carte/faux.htm.

Last edited:
You can view - and buy - the map on the website Editions d'Art Daniel Derveaux. I don't know why the artist picked the year 1648. It was the year when the horrible and devastating Thirty Years War in Europe ended.

Villada.jpg
Derveau.JPG

Description on their website:
Inspired by old maps and itineraries, Daniel Derveaux imagined the routes taken by the pilgrims with their stops and sanctuaries from Paris, Vezelay, Le Puy and Arles to Santiago in Galicia. This map does not pretend to be an historical reference and the date 1648 is only mentioned to "make it look ancient".
Illustrated map of the routes to St James of Compostela on ivory coloured laid paper, printed in 12 colours, 40x54 cm, made in France. Created by Daniel Derveaux, all copyrights to Editions d'Art Daniel Derveaux.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, at least we have attracted some scholars!
LOL, surely you are not referring to me ... of the period 1000-1900, I just happen to know three dates by heart: 1066 and All That, 1492 and 1618-1648. No idea really why they got stuck in my head :cool:. And the map has been discussed on the forum a few times.

Last edited:
And the map has been discussed on the forum a few times.
First time I've seen it referred to - thanks for the pointer. I'd seen the map (or one very similar) before in the gift shop at a museum, and it obviously wasn't mid 17thC, but I didn't realise just how recent it was. Who is going to break the news to La Asociación Antiguo Camino tradicional de Santiago de Villada?

Who is going to break the news to La Asociación Antiguo Camino tradicional de Santiago de Villada?
I wouldn't have the heart to do it. My real life persona lets people believe what they want about the Camino de Santiago :cool:.

Mme Péricard-Méa managed to persuade the 34 national museums in France to no longer sell the map in their shops and has a letter to prove it.

I barely dare to mention the fact that the link for the Villada albergue posted above leads to a website that claims that Césare Borgia is buried in Villada. I don't know where they got that idea from. Césare B. is stuck in my mind because I've watched the TV series about the Borgias and I managed to totally miss his actual burial site on the Camino Frances and spent ages looking for it in the wrong cemetery. Click on Remains in Wikipedia if interested. The story of his bones is nearly as dazzling as the story of his life. :cool:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It isn't on Madrid either but this link gives some more info why is there albergue:
http://villada.es/index.php/turismo/comer-y-dormir/
And more on albergue itself:
http://www.elcaminoasantiago.com/albergues/frances/alberguesVillada.htm

Obviously Frances has one more detour approximately from Calzadilla de la Cueza (or even Carrion de los Condes) through Cervatos de la Cueza, San Roman de la Cuba, Villada, Grajal de Campos and to Sahagun. Not as straight line as current Frances.
It’s the first I’ve heard of the variant, so thanks very much for the info

Well, it is, sort of. The Ayuntamiento de Villada (Town Council) website says:

Albergue de Peregrinos
La Asociación Antiguo Camino tradicional de Santiago de Villada es titular de la iniciativa y lleva muchos años trabajando por ofrecer una alternativa de la Ruta del Camino Francés tal como figura en el primer mapa que se editó del Camino elaborado en el año 1648 “Carte de Chemins de St Jacques de Compostelle”, y que reproduce el recorrido desde Cervatos de la Cueza a Sahagún de Campos, pasando por San Roman de la Cuba, Pozo de Urama, Villada y Grajal de Campos.

Para esta Asociación villadina era fundamental ofrecer al peregrino y viajero que optase por esta alternativa un lugar de descanso y reposo y gracias a su constancia y grandes esfuerzos han conseguido contar ya con un Albergue de Peregrinos con capacidad para veinte personas que ademas de alojamiento ofrece servicios comunes, cocina, baños y duchas, calefaccion, etc.

Which loosely translates as:

Pilgrims Hostel

For this Villadina Association was essential to offer pilgrims and travelers who choose this alternative a place of rest and rest (yes, I know, but descanso and reposo both mean pretty much the same in English) and thanks to their perseverance and great efforts have already managed to have a Pilgrim Hostel with capacity for twenty people in addition to accommodation offers services common, kitchen, bathrooms and showers, heating, etc.

Muchas gracias @Glenshiro, ¡especialmente la traducción!

I have been to Villada, also from the Peaceable (maybe you were lucky and the restaurant was serving cochinillo?). I think it is an alternative used mainly by cyclists, not directly on the route. But apparently it used to be on the Francés. http://villada.es/index.php/turismo/comer-y-dormir/
I think that if you are walking the Madrid, you can make your own detour from Grajal and that way not have to walk “backwards” from Sahagún to the Peaceabe.

Hope all is well in Moratinos and that you enjoy your stay in Peaceable. A few people headed to the Salvador may be stopping by in a few days. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks v much@Laurie, I can’t remember if it was on the menu or not, but I did have the fish option that day. As ever, the PK is a great place to visit + this evening we had the added pleasure of the company of the Madrid/San Salvador pilgrims you mentioned. James

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's quite likely that pilgrims walked through Villada on their way to Compostela, as is the case with many other villages to the right and left of the modern Camino Francés track that never get a mention in modern guidebooks and hardly a visit by peregrinos.

However, the Association ought to find better arguments than the map "elaborated in the year 1648 'Carte de Chemins of St Jacques de Compostelle'". First of all, this map was not elaborated in 1648 but in the 20th century. It is an artistic map, created by Daniel Derveaux who produced numerous similar fictive maps. It does not show medieval roads. The map is popular and was or is still sold also by museum shops etc.

More info for example here: http://www.maphistory.info/fakesintro.html#Derveaux . The French scholar
D. Péricard-Méa has also written about this topic in detail: http://www.saint-jacques.info/fausse-carte/faux.htm.
Wow! I’m very impressed by the scholarly reply to my question@Kathar1na. I’ll try to make sense of it over the next day or two. Thank-you!

You can view - and buy - the map on the website Editions d'Art Daniel Derveaux. I don't know why the artist picked the year 1648. It was the year when the horrible and devastating Thirty Years War in Europe ended.

View attachment 46519
View attachment 46520

Description on their website:
Inspired by old maps and itineraries, Daniel Derveaux imagined the routes taken by the pilgrims with their stops and sanctuaries from Paris, Vezelay, Le Puy and Arles to Santiago in Galicia. This map does not pretend to be an historical reference and the date 1648 is only mentioned to "make it look ancient".
Illustrated map of the routes to St James of Compostela on ivory coloured laid paper, printed in 12 colours, 40x54 cm, made in France. Created by Daniel Derveaux, all copyrights to Editions d'Art Daniel Derveaux.
Now I know what to get Rebekah and Paddy for Christmas!

LOL, surely you are not referring to me ... of the period 1000-1900, I just happen to know three dates by heart: 1066 and All That, 1492 and 1618-1648. No idea really why they got stuck in my head :cool:. And the map has been discussed on the forum a few times.
“If the cap fits @Kathar1na.......!”

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First time I've seen it referred to - thanks for the pointer. I'd seen the map (or one very similar) before in the gift shop at a museum, and it obviously wasn't mid 17thC, but I didn't realise just how recent it was. Who is going to break the news to La Asociación Antiguo Camino tradicional de Santiago de Villada?
;)

I wouldn't have the heart to do it. My real life persona lets people believe what they want about the Camino de Santiago :cool:.

Mme Péricard-Méa managed to persuade the 34 national museums in France to no longer sell the map in their shops and has a letter to prove it.

I barely dare to mention the fact that the link for the Villada albergue posted above leads to a website that claims that Césare Borgia is buried in Villada. I don't know where they got that idea from. Césare B. is stuck in my mind because I've watched the TV series about the Borgias and I managed to totally miss his actual burial site on the Camino Frances and spent ages looking for it in the wrong cemetery. Click on Remains in Wikipedia if interested. The story of his bones is nearly as dazzling as the story of his life. :cool:
I’ll be back there next week to search for ‘dem bones’.

My real life persona lets people believe what they want about the Camino de Santiago
Me, too............although sometimes I have to bite my tongue.

The story of his bones is nearly as dazzling as the story of his life.
I passed through Viana earlier this year, and stepped over the plaque outside St Maria recording his burial there - now I learn from Wikipedia that his remains were inside the church after all!

The only dates stuck in my memory are 1263, 1314 and 1745, which will tell you my nationality.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only dates stuck in my memory are 1263, 1314 and 1745, which will tell you my nationality.
The Battle of Largs? My reputation will be in tatters when I publicly admit that I had not heard of it before. I've been to Culloden, however. Sobering.
I passed through Viana earlier this year, and stepped over the plaque outside St Maria recording his burial there - now I learn from Wikipedia that his remains were inside the church after all!
Wikipedia and news articles are often written by people who haven't been at the place or event they are writing about. I now do think the plaque marks the actual resting place; it's not in the church building but within its perimeter. We must have walked over it without noticing it and later looked in vain for traces of Cesar Borgia in the cemetery outside of Navarrete :rolleyes:.

March 2007, requiem inside and ceremony just outside of the main portal of Santa Maria in Viana :

ofrenda_floral_v_centenario_cesar_borgia_viana_navarra.jpg

requiem_v_centenario_cesar_borgia_viana_navarra.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back