• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Isabel of Lucerne

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The installation at the entrance to Santiago called Porta Itineris Sancti Jacobi by Cándido Pazos López has 20 figures in high relief. Actually, that should be 21, as one of the plaques has two figures on it. The names of the figures given at the base of the column tells us that one of these figures is Isabel de Lucerna (Elizabeth of Lucerne). Which one is Isabel: the child or the woman? And who is the other figure?

1-Santiago 2018 1171.JPG

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Bert,
I'm not very knowledgeable, nor do I research much history, but my guess is it is the name of the woman, as in general children were normally "seen and not heard".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sheer speculation, but perhaps the smaller figure is the child who lived a few hours after being removed from the deceased pilgrim's womb--Isabel being the deceased Swiss pilgrim.

That's plausible, Blue Tang, though the small figure looks rather large for a new-born baby and is wearing the clothes of a child.

Sheer speculation, but perhaps the smaller figure is the child who lived a few hours after being removed from the deceased pilgrim's womb--Isabel being the deceased Swiss pilgrim.
The family, from Switzerland, consisted of three persons: Cristobal and Maria Isabel Mulier and their son, aged 2 years and 4 months. They were in Bezantos on the way to Santiago or on the way back home, staying at the Bezantos hospital’s peregrinaria section. The husband died in November 1738, and Isabel died two months later. After her death, a C-section was performed. The baby lived long enough - one and a half hours - for an emergency baptism, the main reason for the surgical procedure. The two year old orphan was adopted by a local family.

The family are but one example of the suffering of pilgrims in those days.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sheer genius, Kathar1na! Many thanks also to whoever transcribed the almost illegible script. The document says that she was ill 'de un <<accidente alfarético>>'. I asked GT to translate for me. I thought, naturally (!), that I knew what 'accidente' meant, so I just entered 'alfaretico'. GT gave me 'pottery'! So I tried 'alfarético' and got 'alpharetic', which was no help at all. So I looked in my real Spanish dictionary and found that 'alfarería' means pottery, but, two words down, 'alferecía' which means 'epilepsy'. Note that my dictionary has an 'e' where the document has an 'a' (twice, once in the main text and once in the footnote). An epileptic accident seemed as awkward as a pottery accident, so I checked on 'accidente'. Yes, it means 'accident', but also 'fit, seizure'. Sorted!

Last edited:
For alfarético, see footnote 5 in the text. See also related common life-threatening pregnancy complications, many of them treatable or preventable these days, such as pre-eclampsia and eclampsia. Eclampsia is the onset of seizures, mostly during the second half of pregnancy and it can be followed by coma, cerebral haemorrhage and other fatal outcomes for a pregnant woman.

It is not possible to know what exactly led to the sudden severe illness and death of the pregnant peregrina registered in the books of the hospital/hostel in Bezantos in 1739 as widow Isabel from the town of Lucerne (Luzern) in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

PS: 1739 ... that's over 200 years after the Reformation and a time when the pilgrimage from Europe to Saint James in Galicia was long past its heydays, partly because large parts of Europe that had become Protestant would no longer send people on pilgrimage, and when you think Switzerland, you think of the reformer Calvin. It was interesting to read on Wikipedia that during the Reformation Lucerne remained attached to Roman Catholicism, of which ever since it has been the great stronghold in Switzerland.

Last edited:
For alfarético, see footnote 5 in the text. See also related common life-threatening pregnancy complications, many of them treatable or preventable these days, such as pre-eclampsia and eclampsia. Eclampsia is the onset of seizures, mostly during the second half of pregnancy and it can be followed by coma, cerebral haemorrhage and other fatal outcomes for a pregnant woman.

It is not possible to know what exactly led to the sudden severe illness and death of the pregnant peregrina registered in the books of the hospital/hostel in Bezantos in 1739 as widow Isabel from the town of Lucerne (Luzern) in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

PS: 1739 ... that's over 200 years after the Reformation and a time when the pilgrimage from Europe to Saint James in Galicia was long past its heydays, partly because large parts of Europe that had become Protestant would no longer send people on pilgrimage, and when you think Switzerland, you think of the reformer Calvin. It was interesting to read on Wikipedia that during the Reformation Lucerne remained attached to Roman Catholicism, of which ever since it has been the great stronghold in Switzerland.
I got the gist of the meaning from the footnote, but alfarético is not much like epilepsy (epilepsia), so I needed to get the meaning of the word. Several people on that installation I'd never heard of: Jan van Eyck, I'd heard of, but not in connection with Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was trying to explain that the text doesn't say that the peregrina died of epilepsy, nor that she had that disease.

In the course of half an afternoon, I've learnt more about the fate of pregnant women in the 18th and early 19th century than I care to know. I've learnt the terms post-mortem and peri-mortem Cesarean section. I've leant that Cesar did not see the light of the world thanks to a c-section - it's myth and mythology. I've learnt that in December 1818, the 21 year old Queen Mary of Spain, nine months pregnant with her second child, was at 9 am still in good health, sitting up in her bed with servants attending to her, when she was suddenly struck by a convulsive attack and dead within less than half an hour. Within minutes, the King gave permission for her body to be cut into and the child was baptised before being extracted from her body; it was too weak and died within minutes. We don't know, says the medical history author from whom I quote, whether she was really dead after several attempts to reanimate her [...] but there is no doubt that this hasty Cesarean section was prompted primarily by theological beliefs rather than by medical necessities.

Why is this important to know? Well, if Isabel/Elisabeth from Lucerna/Luzern must serve as a model for a pane on a giant contemporary sculpture at the entry to Santiago de Compostela, she also deserves that we know how and why she died and what happened to her children.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back