• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Isolation to Armenteira!

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
Ok I have to ask this...While doing the Variante Espiritual last week from Combarro I found the 4km walk past the view point to Armenteira quiet strange. It was just a strange feeling on that journey that I really can't put into words but more like a deep lonely feeling a bit strange that I was glad to reach the monestry in Armenteira. Has anyone else felt this way on that part of VE? I met a Austrilain couple who said they had met a guy who said the same thing as me!!!! Thoughts anyone

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We were in May 2016 with a group of 6 pilgrims in this area.

When we walked after the view point up the hill, we saw a sign in Spanish and English language "warning about wild dogs". The sign alone gave us a very uncomfortable feeling. Normally we walked as a couple or alone and met each other in a bar, but then we decided to walk as a group.

We didn´t see the dogs, but we heard them barking for a long time and it was a feeling of threat, I had never before in my life. Thanks God nothing happened.

We were the only pilgrims that day in Armenteira, so no one there to ask, if they had the same experiences.

The last night before Santiago we slept in the Albergue of Teo and met a Dutch/Canadian couple. This couple saw the dogs when they attacked a foal of a group of wild horses. At the next opportunity they went to the police and reported it.

In September 2016 my sister walked the same way once more and talked about her experiences and the warning sign she saw a few month ago with her own eyes to her pilgrim friends. But the sign was not there and they didn´t see or hear dogs. Everyone was amused by the fearful German pilgrim.

I think the authorities have shot down the dogs in the meantime.

We were in May 2016 with a group of 6 pilgrims in this area.

When we walked after the view point up the hill, we saw a sign in Spanish and English language "warning about wild dogs". The sign alone gave us a very uncomfortable feeling. Normally we walked as a couple or alone and met each other in a bar, but then we decided to walk as a group.

We didn´t see the dogs, but we heard them barking for a long time and it was a feeling of threat, I had never before in my life. Thanks God nothing happened.

We were the only pilgrims that day in Armenteira, so no one there to ask, if they had the same experiences.

The last night before Santiago we slept in the Albergue of Teo and met a Dutch/Canadian couple. This couple saw the dogs when they attacked a foal of a group of wild horses. At the next opportunity they went to the police and reported it.

In September 2016 my sister walked the same way once more and talked about her experiences and the warning sign she saw a few month ago with her own eyes to her pilgrim friends. But the sign was not there and they didn´t see or hear dogs. Everyone was amused by the fearful German pilgrim.

I think the authorities have shot down the dogs in the meantime.
I didn't see any dogs or signs, but I get what you are saying lol. Oh I would hate to think any animal is shot down :-( For me it was a certain loneliness but weird ... I love quiet and all that but this was different.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Abigail Kelly - Hi Abigail, I've heard people speak of 'Thin places' along the way, so maybe you stumbled across one. I'll be walking this section next year so I unfortunately I won't be able to confirm nor deny until such time:)

@Abigail Kelly - Hi Abigail, I've heard people speak of 'Thin places' along the way, so maybe you stumbled across one. I'll be walking this section next year so I unfortunately I won't be able to confirm nor deny until such time:)
Interesting thought! It was for sure a strange energy that made me uneasy for quiet a bit of that way. I have done a lot of travel around the world but never felt anything like that :eek:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes! I also felt a strange kind of energy through there. I was happy I wasn't walking alone.
Really! Did the person or people you were walking with feel it also? Yea it was very weird and will stay with me I think :eek:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back