• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Isotonic drinks

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi guys,

Do the French sell isotonic drinks? If so, what are the brand names? I'd prefer to buy them over there rather than bringing it from home.

Thanks again,
Sonia
:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Isotonic drinks, which are heavily marketed in the US and - I'm guessing from your post - in Australia, are not such a big thing in Europe. In France, walking the Le Puy route, you might come across a supermarket every two weeks or so (I can only recall one, offhand). Everything else is very small shops, so there is a very limited selection; and that selection will focus on locally produced food, rather than ... well let's be frank here: packaged chemicals.

So, if this is something you absolutely cannot do without, I suggest you bring packaged dry powder and make up your drinks as you go along. The weather won't be so hot as to absolutely necessitate thing sort of drink.

Water is wonderful!

We needed rehydration salts (which is the main point of isotonic drinks) after a bout of gastro. I found them in the pharmacy. They tasted foul. Better tasting ones are available in Australia if you really think you'll need them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I remember a drink that was readily available in Spain it was Aquarius It wasn't a soft drink and tasted better than isotonic drinks I have tried in the past, I was refreshing, it was readily available in most drink vending machines along the Camino, some of the larger supermarkets sold their own brand copy for half the price.

I don't know if it is available in France :(

One teaspoonful of sugar and one pinch of salt dissolved in a pint (500 ml) of water and you have a drink that is isotonic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aquarius, Kas (perhaps not isotonic), Gatorade and Powerade are available in Spain along the Camino Frances.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.