• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Issues with the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

kag1982

Time of past OR future Camino
Going - May 2017
Moderator added note: This post was made in 2017 and may have little validity to the current conditions

I didn't have a pleasant experience at the pilgrim's office when we went to pick up the Compostela. We got into Santiago on Thursday and waited for 2.5 hours at the office. That was fine; I was warned about the wait. However, the snag was that you apparently need some sort of ID in addition to your credential to pick up your Compostela. I don't as a rule carry my passport with me when traveling unless I need it for something (like changing money.) It stays in the hotel room. Luckily for me, I did have my US driver's license with me but I was upset that they wouldn't accept it. It did work out okay in the end, but the whole experience gave me a bad taste because, without that lucky coincidence, I may have stood in line for over two hours only to be denied a Compostela. (And yes, I know that I could just have got back to the hotel and gotten my passport if I didn't have one but that would mean having to wait another two hours in line.)

I know people will reply that I should just drop the whole thing because I got my certificate, but the whole thing is irking me. I reviewed the requirements for the Compostela and found them confusing. I wasn't sure about the date thing at the bottom of the stamp page for instance and I couldn't find anything about the requirement of needing ID to pick up your Compostela on the website. I wonder how often people stand in line at the pilgrim's office for as long as I did only to be denied their certificate because they were confused about the requirements. Don't get me wrong. I am fine with the requirements or don't care about having to stand in line at Santiago. But I do think that pilgrims who stand in line for two hours only to be denied their certificate because of confusion have a legitimate beef. Is there any way to contact the office and suggest that they need to do a better job with this? Or perhaps can someone at least put a sticky or something explaining the rules for obtaining a certificate - and I mean detailed rules like what the date thing is for?

I tried posting my concerns elsewhere and got nasty replies. I am hoping that the response here will be more measured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think I saw your post on Reddit. Bear in mind a lot of the people working in the pilgrim office are volunteers - I think various members on here volunteer at the office. But the 'powers that be' should at least have a sign up where people start to queue and details on the website if the rules have changed lately about ID. I wasn't sure what your query about the dates was? Can you explain more.

Hi, in Spain it is the law that you always have to carry photo id with you plus there is the rare case when somebody tries to pass as somebody else to obtain a Compostela (often for positive reasons like the other person being to foot sore to come and stand in line for hours). Hope that clarifies things and congratulations to your completed pilgrimage, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The fecha fields at the bottom of each stamp in the field. I wasn't sure who was supposed to fill that out and was confused. Some places didn't add the date to the bottom of your stamp, others did, and others just had a pen. I could see people collecting the correct amount of stamps but not knowing the date and being denied a Compostela despite having technically met the requirements.

There is an easy solution to that one, just add the fechas and go back to the office. It might take a bit of time to get it all sorted out/remembered but it is certainly possible to do this with the help of your guide book. Also, just a reminder, the pilgrims office looks predominantly at the stamps from Sarria (or any other 100km point on the other routes) to be on the very safe side make sure you have 2 stamps/day on the last 100km.

Also, if you run into any problem at the pilgrims office, stay calm and politely ask that a supervisor is called. Some of the volunteers might be on their first days and don't know yet all the little quirks. Buen Camino, SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, in Spain it is the law that you always have to carry photo id with you plus there is the rare case when somebody tries to pass as somebody else to obtain a Compostela (often for positive reasons like the other person being to foot sore to come and stand in line for hours). Hope that clarifies things and congratulations to your completed pilgrimage, SY

Interesting about the Spanish law. I don't care my passport or more than I need on me because I was advised not when I studied in Barcelona for the summer. Lots of tourists and students, unfortunately, lose their money and passports in Barcelona so the main professor (a Spanish native) told us not to carry our valuables or passports with us. I love Spain but don't want to be stranded there because of a lost or stolen passport.

As for the requirement itself, I am fine with it but think that it needs to be clearly spelled out on the website and at the office itself. There is nothing on the website about this so I could have easily waited in line for hours just to be denied the Compostela.

There is nothing about showing an id for obtaining the Compostela on the website.
But a foreign driverslicense is not a proper id to use in most country's in Europe.

Wish you well,Peter.

Apparently, you do need one. This is just a heads up for anyone who is getting your Compostela that you need a passport or some sort of ID to obtain your Compostela.

There is an easy solution to that one, just add the fechas and go back to the office. It might take a bit of time to get it all sorted out/remembered but it is certainly possible to do this with the help of your guide book. Also, just a reminder, the pilgrims office looks predominantly at the stamps from Sarria (or any other 100km point on the other routes) to be on the very safe side make sure you have 2 stamps/day on the last 100km.

Also, if you run into any problem at the pilgrims office, stay calm and politely ask that a supervisor is called. Some of the volunteers might be on their first days and don't know yet all the little quirks. Buen Camino, SY

Again, that would mean having to stand in line for two more hours. My first night in Santiago basically was standing in line so that would mean wasting another whole day. Again, I am fine with waiting but I am not fine with people standing in line for another two hours because the requirements/ passport itself was confusing. It is the pilgrim office's job to clearly state what the requirements are and provide instructions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do you pay for a Compostela? If not, you have no right to anything really. I remember when the pilgrim office was two geezers and a filing cabinet in an upstairs room at the Cathedral.

I paid 2 Euros for my Compostela. And all I am asking is why is there nothing on the official pilgrim's website mentioning this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I simply add the date myself beneath the stamp if the accommodation hasn't added it. It's no big deal. The credential isn't a legal or official document with strict rules and the stamps are just creative "fantasy" stamps. The credential's purpose is to make the course of your journey credible, it's not some kind of legal proof.

I don't know why you were asked for proof of your identidy. I'm surprised you were not aware of the legal obligation to hold a national ID in Spain at all times and that driver's licences are not considered as ID in Europe in general. I add this only as information for visitors from countries without familiarity with these facts. It may explain to you that the majority of people getting their Compostela will not bat an eyelid should they be asked to show their ID. They will just grab their purse or bag to get it out, show it, and put it back again. No big deal for them.

Last edited:
It's not ideal and probably should be spelled out I agree - you could write an email to the Pilgrims Office suggesting it is put on the website.

I would say, given that you had to show your passport every single time you checked into any accommodation throughout the Camino, it's not rocket science to assume you might need it for an official process like the Compostela. Spain is a country with a well developed administration / bureaucracy - depending on how you look at it.

It's not ideal and probably should be spelled out I agree - you could write an email to the Pilgrims Office suggesting it is put on the website.

I would say, given that you had to show your passport every single time you checked into any accommodation throughout the Camino, it's not rocket science to assume you might need it for an official process like the Compostela. Spain is a country with a well developed administration / bureaucracy - depending on how you look at it.

Actually it isn't obvious. There is a difference between staying at a hotel and getting on a plane and obtaining a 2 Euro Compostela. I thought they just took you at your word that you are who you are.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We always carry our passports, well hidden and protected, as they are our only form of ID. If needed for any reason they can be accessed. Some form of ID is a requirement in Spain and could be asked for at any time as I understand it. Also this year we found that the hostals were far more concerned to register our ID on entry than previously, rather than during our stay. The Guardia Civil can ask to see their books at any time as they are acting for the security agency.
It would be helpful if the pilgrims office had a statement about ID at the gate, but given that ID is expected to be carried at all times they probably don't see the need.
Personally I would have liked to see some form of simple card ID issued with our passports, rather than relying on our driving licences, here in the UK.

I simply add the date myself beneath the stamp if the accommodation hasn't added it. It's no big deal. The credential isn't a legal or official document with strict rules and the stamps are just creative "fantasy" stamps. The credential's purpose is to make the course of your journey credible, it's not some kind of legal proof.

I don't know why you were asked for proof of your identidy. I'm surprised you were not aware of the legal obligation to carry a national ID in Spain at all times and that driver's licences are not considered as ID in Europe in general. I add this only as information for visitors from countries without familiarity with these facts. It may explain to you that the majority of people getting their Compostela will not bat an eyelid should they be asked to show their ID. They will just grab their purse or bag to get it out, show it, and put it back again. No big deal for them.

That law strikes me as odd. There are situations in the US where I don't carry any id on me like when I am exercising. As I said, I was actually advised to keep my passport at the place where I was staying and that is what most general guidebooks advise American tourists to do. I would advise Europeans who travel to the US to do the same. You only really need your passport if you plan to purchase alcohol in the US.

Last edited:
I didn't have a pleasant experience at the pilgrim's office when we went to pick up the Compostela. We got into Santiago on Thursday and waited for 2.5 hours at the office. That was fine; I was warned about the wait. However, the snag was that you apparently need some sort of ID in addition to your credential to pick up your Compostela.
Your tour company didn't say anything about this requirement? They should have known it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
in the US
Thank you for your advice but I am a ID card carrying European citizen, ie I have a passport and an ID card from the country of my nationality and I carry the ID card in my purse and have it with me practically everywhere I go. I know when I need my ID card and when I need my passport. I was at a family gathering recently where my brother who had lived in the US for a long time tried to explain to my cousins that in the US people who don't know how to drive a car can get a driving licence for the sole purpose of being able to ID themselves and the expression in the eyes of my cousins was one of incredulity and incomprehension. Believe me. I say this is just to foster intercultural understanding and comprehension. :cool:

I am glad to know that your story had a happy ending. How many minutes did it take you to solve the issue at the counter of the pilgrims office? Forgive me for being a bit blunt but it sounds like a bit of a cultural/linguistic muddle - if not clash - to me.

That law strikes me as odd. There are situations in the US where I don't carry any id on me like when I am exercising. As I said, I was actually advised to keep my passport at the place where I was staying and that is what most general guidebooks advise American tourists to do. I would advise Europeans who travel to the US to do the same. You only really need your passport if you plan to purchase alcohol in the US.
You are in Europe and not in the US.
Rest my case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are in Europe and not in the US.
Rest my case.

And most US guidebooks, etc. advise tourists to not carry their passports around with them so they don't get stolen/ lost. It strikes me as tourist common sense 101. How was I supposed to know that it was required?

Actually the Compstela is still donation only, or has that changed? Buen Camino, SY

They told us to pay 2 Euros at the cashier once we had the certificate. They didn't say it was voluntary.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And most US guidebooks, etc. advise tourists to not carry their passports around with them so they don't get stolen/ lost. It strikes me as tourist common sense 101. How was I supposed to know that it was required?
In that case you're not a tourist but a pilgrim. And the pilgrim with his Credential and photo ID prove that he is entitled to a Compostella

While travelling in the EU, I use my Dutch ID card. But that doesn't work when I leave the EU, so I have to bring my passport for those trips. When travelling with my passport, I keep it safe and/or stashed, including sometimes in a hotelroom.
But in those cases I also always have a passport photocopy handy for non-official identification. (I also write 'COPY' on that photocopy, so I can't be accused of carrying a "fake" passport. I try to convince myself it's not paranoia, but simply being prepared...)
Before I leave, I always check the national identity card policies of the country I'm going to, so I know what I have to comply with. For me it's a sure way to stay ahead of trouble or inconvenience. When it comes to identification, even non-official ones, I never take any chances.

In that case you're not a tourist but a pilgrim. And the pilgrim with his Credential and photo ID prove that he is entitled to a Compostella
Yes. I was a tourist. And both savvy tourists and pilgrims do things like keep their passports and other valuables safe rather than toting them around when they don't need them. And no it isn't obvious that I would need an id to prove that I was who I said I was. It is a free certificate of achievement, not entry into Fort Knox. I thought that they just took people on their honor about this, just like completing the walk is basically on one's honor system. It really should mention that you need a valid passport in addition to your credential to get the certificate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like already said: it is the law in Europe to carry an official ID at all time!
People can tell you what they want, but rules are there ... you must understand that they only issue a Compostella to you if it is really you.
I'm sorry, but we in Europe find it unbeleavable when you don't have your ID with you ;)

Last edited:
you apparently need some sort of ID [...] I did have my US driver's license with me but I was upset that they wouldn't accept it. It did work out okay in the end, [...] without that lucky coincidence, I may have stood in line for over two hours only to be denied a Compostela.
I feel the ending of this story is a bit incomplete. Maybe I'm overlooking something. You say you were asked for an ID, you didn't have your passport, you were upset that your US driver's licence didn't count as ID and then what happened before you were given your Compostela?

I will always carry my ID with me, even only for a walk round the block or when on my bike to the local shop.
For us Europeans it is the most normal thing to do.

And to the OP : what are two hours waiting time in a human life? Talking with other pilgrims in the queue is such fun! And I do feel that the volunteers at the Oficina do their absolute best.
Now relax and let it go . Savour the memories of your recent Pilgrimage. No one got injured or hurt so really no harm done!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. I was a tourist. And both savvy tourists and pilgrims do things like keep their passports and other valuables safe rather than toting them around when they don't need them. And no it isn't obvious that I would need an id to prove that I was who I said I was. It is a free certificate of achievement, not entry into Fort Knox. I thought that they just took people on their honor about this, just like completing the walk is basically on one's honor system. It really should mention that you need a valid passport in addition to your credential to get the certificate.
Thanks for pointing this out to other potential pilgrims who otherwise might not have known of the requirement. I think the reason it has not been raised before because a lot of the pilgrims are from the EU or other countries that are required to carry ID at all times. Other pilgrims may be aware of the Spanish law that requires that ID be carried. Many other pilgrims ŵill be carrying their passport with them because they won't want to leave it in an albergue, hostal or pensión. Most others will have heard from their tour companies, if they use them, or from other experienced pilgrims around the dinner table that it is a requirement. Somehow your situation fell through the cracks so it might happen to someone else one day too and your message may help to alleviate that problem for someone else.

....It should be crystal clear on the website as well as the passport itself how to get the Compostela. I cannot be the only one who got caught up in the situation/ confused by it.

I do think your situation would be a rare one. See my post above.

Last edited:
I feel the ending of this story is a bit incomplete. Maybe I'm overlooking something. You say you were asked for an ID, you didn't have your passport, you were upset that your US driver's licence didn't count as ID and then what happened before you were handed your Compostela?

They accepted my driver's license as ID. I lucked out that I had it on me by chance in my wallet. What upsets me is that if I hadn't, I would have literally spent two-half hours in line waiting for something. I cannot be the only pilgrim who had this happened to him/her. As I said, most guidebooks advise people to not carry their passports around Europe for obvious purposes (so they don't get stolen/ lost). Or people who in general are denied their Compostelas because they were confused about the requirements. It should be crystal clear on the website as well as the passport itself how to get the Compostela. I cannot be the only one who got caught up in the situation/ confused by it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like already said: it is the law in Europe to carry an official ID at all time!
People can tell you what they want, but rules are there ... you must understand that they only issue a Compostella to you if it is really you.
I'm sorry, but we in Europe find it unbeleavable when you don't have your ID with you ;)

I've lived in Europe and didn't carry my id with me. For instance, when I went jogging and to the gym, I didn't. It just seemed common sense to me to not carry such an important document, especially in places like Paris (where I lived) that have lots of petty crime. I also didn't carry it (or much money) when I was living in Barcelona.

And if those are the rules, I am fine with them. It is just that they should spell them out on their website. I went to the website and researched what was necessary to get the Compostela and thought I had it figured out. Because I didn't want to wait in line for two hours only to be denied something. I didn't know I was supposed to instinctively know that I had to show id. This is what angers me. I thought I did everything I was supposed to in researching the requirements for this.

About the obligation to carry ID: I actually changed my earlier post from "obligation to carry ID" to "obligation to hold ID" for Spain. One can discuss the finer points of these legal obligations for quite some time, and the differences between various countries, but my main point was and is that many - if not most - pilgrims and tourists may well have an ID card, or even their passports, with them anyway and will find it hard to share the OP's indignation.

Has anyone else ever been asked for ID at the pilgrim's office? We may witness the birth of a new myth ...:cool: Where is @t2andreo when he's needed?

About the obligation to carry ID: I actually changed my earlier post from "obligation to carry ID" to "obligation to hold ID" for Spain. One can discuss the finer points of these legal obligations for quite some time, and the differences between various countries, but my main point was and is that many - if not most - pilgrims and tourists may well have an ID card, or even their passports, with them anyway and will find it hard to share the OP's indignation.

Has anyone else ever been asked for ID at the pilgrim's office? We may witness the birth of a new myth ...:cool: Where is @t2andreo when he's needed?
I certainly had to show my passport a few weeks ago. There is a sign (near the front, not the back of the line) at the pilgrim's office that says to present the passport / ID to the person issuing the Compostela.

I certainly had to show my passport a few weeks ago. There is a sign (near the front, not the back of the line) at the pilgrim's office that says to present the passport / ID to the person issuing the Compostela.
Thank you for this piece of information :). Then I agree with your earlier comment: that's something the tour company should have told the OP! I trust that @kag1982 has already contacted them and set them right. :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I didn't have a pleasant experience at the pilgrim's office when we went to pick up the Compostela. We got into Santiago on Thursday and waited for 2.5 hours at the office. That was fine; I was warned about the wait. However, the snag was that you apparently need some sort of ID in addition to your credential to pick up your Compostela. I don't as a rule carry my passport with me when traveling unless I need it for something (like changing money.) It stays in the hotel room. Luckily for me, I did have my US driver's license with me but I was upset that they wouldn't accept it. It did work out okay in the end, but the whole experience gave me a bad taste because, without that lucky coincidence, I may have stood in line for over two hours only to be denied a Compostela. (And yes, I know that I could just have got back to the hotel and gotten my passport if I didn't have one but that would mean having to wait another two hours in line.)

I know people will reply that I should just drop the whole thing because I got my certificate, but the whole thing is irking me. I reviewed the requirements for the Compostela and found them confusing. I wasn't sure about the date thing at the bottom of the stamp page for instance and I couldn't find anything about the requirement of needing ID to pick up your Compostela on the website. I wonder how often people stand in line at the pilgrim's office for as long as I did only to be denied their certificate because they were confused about the requirements. Don't get me wrong. I am fine with the requirements or don't care about having to stand in line at Santiago. But I do think that pilgrims who stand in line for two hours only to be denied their certificate because of confusion have a legitimate beef. Is there any way to contact the office and suggest that they need to do a better job with this? Or perhaps can someone at least put a sticky or something explaining the rules for obtaining a certificate - and I mean detailed rules like what the date thing is for?

I tried posting my concerns elsewhere and got nasty replies. I am hoping that the response here will be more measured.

I've been to the Pilgrim's Office twice this past year, most recently just a month ago, and wasn't asked for any identification beyond my Credencial. It was both an easy and friendly process to acquire my Compostela.

My experiences aside, I never leave a document as important as my passport unattended back in a hotel or an albergue. My advice to all pilgrims is to keep your passport on you at all times. Having had my passport stolen years ago in France, I can assure you that you don't want to go through the process of replacing it while traveling abroad. Had I been asked for my passport in Santiago, it would have been easy to produce since it never leaves my person when I travel.

Regarding carrying ID in Spain, it's the same in The States. Adults are required to be able to prove who they are if asked by law enforcement. Even when I go out running or biking, I always carry identification on me. If I were to be in an accident, it just seems like a prudent behavior.

When you go to an other country you can check on forehand what the rules are .
As I stated earlyer in most European country's you need a id-card or pasport with you despide wathever the guidebook says.
Wish you well,Peter.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your advice but I am a ID card carrying European citizen, ie I have a passport and an ID card from the country of my nationality and I carry the ID card in my purse and have it with me practically everywhere I go. I know when I need my ID card and when I need my passport. I was at a family gathering recently where my brother who had lived in the US for a long time tried to explain to my cousins that in the US people who don't know how to drive a car can get a driving licence for the sole purpose of being able to ID themselves and the expression in the eyes of my cousins was one of incredulity and incomprehension. Believe me. I say this is just to foster intercultural understanding and comprehension. :cool:

I am glad to know that your story had a happy ending. How many minutes did it take you to solve the issue at the counter of the pilgrims office? Forgive me for being a bit blunt but it sounds like a bit of a cultural/linguistic muddle - if not clash - to me.
For clarification, it's not a drivers license. It's an identification card. It is issued by the same agency that issues drivers licenses.

I received my compostela on May 24th after waiting about 1.5 hours (8:15am - 9:45am). I actually do not remember if the friendly volunteer asked for my passport. However, I had been keeping my passport and credencial together in the same plastic bag, so it would not have been an issue. The compostela was free and the paper tube was 2 euro. I thought opening the new pilgrims office was supposed to make the process of receiving your compostela easier and speedier, and so was disappointed to find this is not the case. On the other hand, the camino teaches you a great deal about patience, kindness and acceptance, and perhaps the pilgrims office is doing the same!

I start to wonder whether the volunteer just wanted to see how to write your name correctly .... with both pilgrims and volunteers from around the globe it must be quite the Tower of Babylon there.
Then the driver's license would have been ok.

While I will never leave my passport in a hotel room (I have not looked at a guidebook in years and years, so I have no idea what they recommend), I do not understand why the Pilgrim Office needs to see this document to issue a non-official document. The Compostela is just a souvenir, nothing more! It's not giving you the right to do anything that requires proper identification.

I really don't understand why the OP is being given such a hard time. I think that it is not unreasonable for requirements to be clearly spelled out on the website and as one enters the Pilgrim Office.

One would think that this would be beneficial for everyone involved, including the volunteers who then would not need to explain the requirements, deal with annoyed people, etc.

And no, queuing for two hours on those hard floors is not pleasant. With blisters, tendonitis, and all sorts of other pains after hundreds of km on our feet, standing there is not pleasant.

in the US people who don't know how to drive a car can get a driving licence for the sole purpose of being able to ID themselves and the expression in the eyes of my cousins was one of incredulity and incomprehension. Believe me.
me.
Euh, no. This is not correct.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info#idcard

Hmmm... so Americans should know to carry their passport but Europeans get to think the DMV issues driver licenses to people who don't know how to drive? o_O

For our European amigos....this is not the attitude or demeanor of the vast majority of Americans.

The OP, in one post, identifies as a "customer" of the Pilgrim Office. The Cathedral Pilgrim Office was not established as a tourist facility...but seems to be mistakenly viewed as one by many lately.

The trend to view the Camino as a commercial tourist attraction with complaints about "service" for a 5 euro bed in an albergue and other demands are commonplace.

The end is near....

I received my compostela on May 24th after waiting about 1.5 hours (8:15am - 9:45am). I actually do not remember if the friendly volunteer asked for my passport. However, I had been keeping my passport and credencial together in the same plastic bag, so it would not have been an issue. The compostela was free and the paper tube was 2 euro. I thought opening the new pilgrims office was supposed to make the process of receiving your compostela easier and speedier, and so was disappointed to find this is not the case. On the other hand, the camino teaches you a great deal about patience, kindness and acceptance, and perhaps the pilgrims office is doing the same!
I'm not sure how many pilgrims received their compostelas when you collected your previous ones but there were probably about 1,500 on the 24 May 2017. That might be a big increase over your previous visits in 2011 and 2015. 1.5 hours was shorter than when I got mine in 2014 but I picked better times to go in 2012 and 2017. Also, I was happier to stand in the hallway this year, rather than in the sun / rain in either of the last two pilgrim offices. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've lived in Europe and didn't carry my id with me. For instance, when I went jogging and to the gym, I didn't. It just seemed common sense to me to not carry such an important document, especially in places like Paris (where I lived) that have lots of petty crime. .

In Paris especially (well the whole of France actually but you're more likely to encounter a control of identity in the capital), you HAVE TO carry ID.
In Spain, you cannot do the slightest thing without being asked your DNI.
That's it. That's the way it is ;)

Then the driver's license would have been ok.
@Anemone del Camino, if you read carefully through these 40+ messages you will see that the OP actually confirmed that her driver's license was deemed ok for the purpose of getting a Compostela. And, apologies for being so ill-informed (and I use this word today on purpose), so it's not a driver's license but - and I quote - an "ID card [that] looks like a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only". I was merely trying to explain different cultural backgrounds (perhaps the volunteer was not familiar with US habits and blurted out spontaneously: "That's not an ID document") but I obviously failed miserably.

This is a storm in teacup if ever there was one. So, has anyone bothered yet to draw the pilgrims office's attention to the fact that they haven't updated their website about the (apparently recent) requirement to show ID from now on?

Last edited:
This is actually the first that I have heard that the Pilgrim Office requires a passport or National Identify Card in order to receive a Compostella. If this is now a fact....it is a new ruling.

I have worked in the Pilgrim Office as a volunteer and issued Compostellas. We only asked for passports in order to read the name information. Many credentials are impossible to read the names...some in Korean, Japanese, etc. We asked for the passport so we could correctly record the information on the certificate. If the credential was easy and clear to read....no ID was asked for.
Again, if this is no longer the case, then the rules have changed.

I do not carry my passport with me unless I need it because of my own experiences and the experiences I have had abroad. I have lost my passport in a taxi overseas and having to go to a consulate and get it replaced was not a pleasant experience. I know people who have had purses and bags with their passports stolen. Again it is not pleasant to have to go to the embassy and get it sorted out. It would be even less pleasant in Santiago as there is no consulate nearby. And I will continue to do so regardless of what the technical law is. I have been in situations with petty theft and misplaced passports in Europe but have yet to be in a situation where a police officer asks for my id. If I was staying in the hostels, I would have taken my passport with me but I was in a nice hotel in Santiago. It just made sense from a security standpoint to leave it in my locked hotel room than lug it with me. It is the same procedure I have done in many places in Europe. It is just peace of mind for me to only have the money I need and no passport unless I need it for something.

As for the Compostela, my point is that the requirements in general to get the certificate were confusing. I researched the site to find the requirements and would have obviously brought my passport with me if they said id was needed on the site. I was also confused about which stamps counted, the website led me to believe that the stamps of cafes, etc. did not count, and the date field. I am sure that I am the only one who hit a snag when I went for the Compostela. And I actually researched the requirements because I read in my guidebook and online that it was crowded and I knew I would be upset if I waited that long and did not get my certificate. It would just be good if some clear guidance was provided about this. It can be pretty confusing.

Hi Kag1982 ~ you must have felt terrible ! I remember the rush of Adrenalin when its finally your turn at the que... Then you have that happen and the high and excitement crashes to the ground! Put this behind you, its not worth a dark cloud over what you achieved. Well done for completing your Camino :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It is a free certificate of achievement, not entry into Fort Knox. I thought that they just took people on their honor about this, just like completing the walk is basically on one's honor system. .

I am confused! The OP refers above to a certificate of achievement, which I assume is the distance certificate and would be appropriate for someone self-identifying as a tourist not a pilgrim. A Compostela on the other hand is for those who have walked for religious or spiritual reasons. I hold to the distinction being an important one as the Camino is first and foremost a pilgrimage route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was also confused about which stamps counted, the website led me to believe that the stamps of cafes, etc. did not count.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
I find this quite clear, frankly.

I am confused! The OP refers above to a certificate of achievement, which I assume is the distance certificate and would be appropriate for someone self-identifying as a tourist not a pilgrim. A Compostela on the other hand is for those who have walked for religious or spiritual reasons. I hold to the distinction being an important one as the Camino is first and foremost a pilgrimage route.
But regardless of which piece of paper issued by the Office, there is no need for the Office to require any sort of ID. It's not as if the Guardia Civil will come in and check their books. Or will it? o_O

To begin, given the times in which we live and the state of the world, it is absurd IMHO to leave your place of residence without formal, government-issued identification at all times. Moreover, if you are traveling in a foreign country, it is common sense that you should carry on your person at all times, proof of identity and nationality.

Exactly how are the authorities to identify your unconscious body in the unfortunate event you are found horizontal and unresponsive? This is not something of my own contrivance. Bad things happen, and all too frequently.

As I am writing this, the aftermath of the latest terrorist attack in the UK is being featured. This morning, I read one article about a frantic Spanish family trying to locate their son who lived in London. He is reported to have NOT been carrying any identification!

The family can describe exactly what this fellow was wearing and that he was carrying a skateboard, but knew that he likely carried no ID...DOH! The authorities have requested fingerprint examples from the family to try and sort this fellow out, presumably using Europol's national ID database, merging all the national ID databases into one.

As others have expressed, in most countries you MUST be able to establish your identity, and (in an increasing number of situations) your right to be where you are. The one document that will do this is a national passport with the entry stamps affixed when you first entered the Schengen / EU zone.

Personally, I NEVER leave my home, even for a walk around the block in my walled and gated neighborhood, without at least my US driver license, medical insurance card, one debit card, and taxi fare to get home in my pocket. If I am in a foreign country, to this I add either my US passport OR my US passport card.

The latter is something offered recently by the US Department of State when you obtain a new passport or renew your old one. It is the functional equivalent of a EU ID card, but looks different. It is credit-card sized and has an IC chip. At present it is not accepted for intercontinental travel, but it is enough to establish my identity and nationality so they know which embassy to contact.

In addition, if you are a pilgrim, the two documents you need to find a place to stay every night are the credencial and a national passport or national ID card. The Spanish authorities require an accounting of who stays where, every night. This is the law in Spain, and in most otehr countries that I have traveled in over the past 40 or more years.

The lodging operator is supported to collect basic information from your passport or ID document. If they fail to do this, THEY are violating the law. On every one of my five Caminos, in France, Spain, and Portugal I have been asked specifically for my national passport, not the pilgrim passport, in every place of lodging I have EVER stayed in. So, both documents ride in the same plastic pouch in one cargo pocket of my pants. So, to the OP, where's the beef?

To wrap this up...on 13 July, I will once again report for a month's volunteer service at the Pilgrim Office. This has been a regular event for me for the past four years. This year I will be issuing Compostelas at the counter.

Just as an FYI, I plan to ask for corroborating identification, to prove you are you, and not a third party, not entitled to the Compostela. Secondly, I intend to use the official ID as a means to clarify which Latin variant of your given name ought to go on your Compostela. In the event of a dispute, I have he authority to put any version of your name, such as a nickname, on the Compostela in lieu of the Latin name, but ONLY at your specific request.

For example, one year a fellow, US or Canadian I think was named Todd. This was not short for Theodore, Thaddeus, or anything else with a Latin equivalent. So, his Compostela says "Todd (surname)."

Also, I plan to discuss with management that they consider adopting this policy to avoid third party misrepresentation. I also will ask them to edit the web site AND future version of the pilgrim credentials this office produces and sells.

Mind you, I advocate accepting ANY evidently government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license. The OPs frustration may well have occurred when the person behind the counter simply did not recognize a non-EU driver's license as being the equivalent of a national ID card.

Consider that, virtually every country in the developed world has some sort of national ID, EXCEPT the United States. Moreover, where EU national ID cards follow a standard format and data layout, US driver licenses do not.

The reason they may ask for a formal identification document is to prevent someone from obtaining a Compostela in another person's name. When you fill out the form, you can claim to be anyone you wish. The government-issued ID request is to make sure that (for example) "John Smith" is not seeking a Compostela for "Robert Jones."

There have been several articles written recently in various media about persons who offer to walk a Camino for another person and are paid for this service. I do not care whether you call it a donation or not. If person A walks a Camino, but, claims the Compostela for person B, they are violating the rules. Third parties are not entitled to obtain a Compostela for another living person.

While it is true that a person CAN DEDICATE their Camino to the memory of a deceased person, or a disabled person who is permanently precluded by medical circumstances from making the journey themselves (Vicare Pro), one living person CANNOT generally obtain a Compostela for a second living person. Those are the Church's rules, not mine.

If these rules are not spelled out fully and properly, perhaps they should be, and I shall mention this as well.

FINALLY, WHEW! I add in passing that I have had success in the past making some common sense changes to how things are done. For example, last year:

1. I demonstrated to the Cathedral and Pilgrim Office hierarchy (ALL of them) the slippery paper in the Cathedral provided credentials. This caused sellos to smear and ruined a favorite "souvenir" for many pilgrims. Beatrice K., from this Forum, brought the issue to my attention when she knew I was working at the office. We literally bumped into one another on Rua do Vilar one morning.

As a consequence, when the old stock was depleted, a new version with much more porous paper to accept sello ink is now in use...result! There may still be some old types in circulation with local Camino groups, tourist offices and remote churches who obtained their inventory from the Pilgrim Office, but the newly printed type is WAY better.

2. Beatrice also complained to me about the tubos with crimped paper edges. Evidently these sometimes caught on and tore Compostelas and Distance Certificates, etc. when you tried to remove them from the tubo. These were old style tubos produced in 2014 or 2015, pre-dating the 2016 Pilgrim Office move from Rua do Vilar. More recently ordered tubos had razor cut edges instead of crimping. This design change eliminated the tearing problem.

The solution to this was both cheap and easy, except for my manual labor. I rotated the inventory in the attic, moving the many cases of the old style crimped tubos to the front of the usage queue. Also, I informed management of what I was doing and why. As I did all the lifting, they were happy. As a result, before my month's service was up last August, all the old crimped edge tubos had been sold off. All the newly obtained tubos have the razor cut edges...result!

I hope this helps clarify things.

The family can describe exactly what this fellow was wearing and that he was carrying a skateboard, but knew that he likely carried no ID...DOH!
Regarding your comment on the situation in the UK - please note we do NOT have to carry ID here. The unfortunate man had done nothing wrong or unusual. We often recklessly pop out to the pub or shops with only a ten pound note in our pockets.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just as an FYI, I plan to ask for corroborating identification, to prove you are you, and not a third party, not entitled to the Compostela. Secondly, I intend to use the official ID ...

Mind you, I advocate accepting ANY evidently government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license. The OPs frustration may well have occurred when the person behind the counter simply did not recognize a non-EU driver's license as being the equivalent of a national ID card.

Consider that, virtually every country in the developed world has some sort of national ID, EXCEPT the United States. Moreover, where EU national ID cards follow a standard format and data layout, US driver licenses do not.

The reason they may ask for a formal identification document is to prevent someone from obtaining a Compostela in another person's name.
Well, in Canada we also don't have a picture ID that identifies us as Canadians. We have a driver's license and a health insurance card, as well as our Social Insurance Number, but that one does not have a photo. And these do not mention citizenship. And to tell you the truth, the SIN card really is the one with sensitive information, the one you don't want to misplace.

Back to needing id to get a Compostela to make sure one is not getting one for someone else. Can't I offer to queue for my friends and collect their Compostellas on their behalf? How do tourist groups/companies do it? I have seen tour guides hand out Compostellas to their clients during mass, which leads me to beleive these people did not queue nor present id.

At this point, it may be helpful for everyone to stop and take a long, deep breath. :) Try to put yourself in OPs place for a moment. I can understand both the frustration and the desire to see things spelled out clearly somewhere, possibly even just moving / or adding the sign indicating that ID is required to the back of the line.
OP, please realise that many people here are trying to be helpful with their explanations and recommendations. Sometimes things don't come across well in writing.
I have noticed just how easy it is for people to read things as whiny, insulting, judgemental or condescending. Try to assume that people are taking the time to respond from a good place. If you decide write to the Pilgrim's Office, perhaps you could share their response with us?

Please calm down everyone. I'm certain the rules haven't changed. I worked for 7 years as a volunteer in the Pilgrims Office and there is NO REQUIREMENT TO SHOW A VALID PASSPORT OR IDENTITY DOCUMENT to receive the Compostela.

However from time to time if the member of staff or volunteer cannot read the person's name as they have written it or if they have a complicated or unusual name they will ask for their passport so that they can copy the name without error - it is a convenience and not a requirement.

I have never in all of these years known anyone trying to get a Compostela in a name that wasn't theirs - it is only a Compostela and not a last will and testament!

The Compostela and the Welcome Certificate remain FREE OF CHARGE .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
I find this quite clear, frankly.

No. I am sorry. It is not. For instance, I was unsure whether stamps from came from cafes were included. Apparently, it is okay. I did not know if it was prior. Again, I just wanted to make sure that I hit my requirements to receive a Compostela because I would be very upset to be denied it on a technicality.

As for other questions, yes this was the Compostela because I think the Latin is neat but this is also a souverneir for me to celebrate my achievement.

And again, I have reasons why I keep my passport in the hotel room. Yes, there are terrorist attacks and the like but you are much more likely to be a victim of petty theft in Europe than get killed by a terrorist. I have not had any emergencies but I have had situations where I have had items stolen from me and I have lost a passport. It works for me and is how I have always traveled. It is all good but I would like clarification if something is needed to receive a certificate. I am fine in lugging my passport with me; I did not appreciate being told this is a requirement after waiting in line for two hours. I checked the website and my guidebooks to make sure I did not miss something and there was nothing there. That really is the source of my frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back