• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It’s a Long Way from Tipperary to Santiago

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
You are welcome to come along on my 3,000K Camino:

9D0DD99B-E02D-4D1C-B590-ACF6B0DE320C.jpeg
(The Cliffs of Moher)

This peregrino walked 41 days on the Camino in 2015- St. Jean Pied de Port(SJPP) to Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia, ending in Valenca, Portugal. In 2016, 71 days from Le Puy en Velay in France to SJPP, Muxia again and ending in Porto. In 2017, 98 days including the 1000K Via de la Plata(VDLP) from Seville to Santiago, a 10 day stint as a hospitalero at Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo, and then walked to Finisterre before finishing with the Primitivo from Oviedo to Muxia.
51796A07-3010-47F2-A364-62C713B5F03C.jpeg
( My gear in Clare looking across the River Shannon to Tipperary)
Am I a Camino Junkie or what.

During the past 3 years, I came to admire those peregrinos that walked from their homes; Per from Sweden, Falko from Berlin, Tom from Austria and others. Admittedly, I was envious, but although I am a bit slow in the head, it suddenly dawned on me that I could walk from my ancestral home in County Clare in the west of Ireland. 3,000K (2,000 miles) more or less.

So on May 15 I bussed from Dublin to Birdhill, Tipperary and then made my way to Killaloe, Clare, Ireland to begin a Camino de Santiago. You are welcome to join me here, on Facebook(Kevin Considine Willowbrook) or on my blog at www.thesenioradventurer.com
40F0E3EC-BCC1-4915-BD63-A98851250C75.jpeg
(Arriving in Killaloe, Clare)

I am starting to write this a bit late from day 26 in Clogheen, Tipperary but there was no inspiration until a single message from fellow peregrino Johniewis47. I will work to catch up so I am truly live. Haha. It’s a long way from Tipperary to Tipperary.
98AD9094-8E9B-4C53-8ED7-E20406AB62F6.jpeg
(Aah. How comforting. They use yellow arrows on the East Clare Way)9D0DD99B-E02D-4D1C-B590-ACF6B0DE320C.jpeg51796A07-3010-47F2-A364-62C713B5F03C.jpeg40F0E3EC-BCC1-4915-BD63-A98851250C75.jpegBEF4B40A-6E07-4F26-85F8-C0F1AF5D464D.jpeg98AD9094-8E9B-4C53-8ED7-E20406AB62F6.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wishing you all the best! 20+ years after walking from SJPDP to Santiago for the first time it still niggled at me that I really should have walked from home. So I started from west Wales and walked to Santiago in a series of stages: home to Redon in Brittany, Redon almost to SJPDP (stopped 20km short by a slipped disc :mad:), the 20km to SJPDP, then the Camino Frances again to Santiago. Good to finally scratch that itch :)

I was tickled to see that you have started from Killaloe. When I am walking and feeling a little tired or slow I often pick up my pace by humming or whistling a marching tune to myself. One of my favourites is "Killaloe" :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are welcome to come along on my 3,000K Camino:

View attachment 43508
(The Cliffs of Moher)

This peregrino walked 41 days on the Camino in 2015- St. Jean Pied de Port(SJPP) to Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia, ending in Valenca, Portugal. In 2016, 71 days from Le Puy en Velay in France to SJPP, Muxia again and ending in Porto. In 2017, 98 days including the 1000K Via de la Plata(VDLP) from Seville to Santiago, a 10 day stint as a hospitalero at Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo, and then walked to Finisterre before finishing with the Primitivo from Oviedo to Muxia.
View attachment 43509
( My gear in Clare looking across the River Shannon to Tipperary)
Am I a Camino Junkie or what.

During the past 3 years, I came to admire those peregrinos that walked from their homes; Per from Sweden, Falko from Berlin, Tom from Austria and others. Admittedly, I was envious, but although I am a bit slow in the head, it suddenly dawned on me that I could walk from my ancestral home in County Clare in the west of Ireland. 3,000K (2,000 miles) more or less.

So on May 15 I bussed from Dublin to Birdhill, Tipperary and then made my way to Killaloe, Clare, Ireland to begin a Camino de Santiago. You are welcome to join me here, on Facebook(Kevin Considine Willowbrook) or on my blog at www.thesenioradventurer.com
View attachment 43510
(Arriving in Killaloe, Clare)

I am starting to write this a bit late from day 26 in Clogheen, Tipperary but there was no inspiration until a single message from fellow peregrino Johniewis47. I will work to catch up so I am truly live. Haha. It’s a long way from Tipperary to Tipperary.
View attachment 43512
(Aah. How comforting. They use yellow arrows on the East Clare Way)View attachment 43508View attachment 43509View attachment 43510View attachment 43511View attachment 43512
Thanks for the invitation. I would love to start now, but instead am going to mark your blog as a favourite so I can catch up bit by bit. Looking forward to it.

As long as your "house" is everywhere there are Another 45 miles to go :)

Fantastic. I'm coming from the U.S. in a couple of weeks, but still figuring out which route to take. You are inspiring me. Will look for your posts. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino, Kevin! I’ll catch up on your blog when I’m back home in Mayo. Although there are said to be more Irish peregrinos per capita than any other nationality, so far this Spring I’ve met only two.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Although there are said to be more Irish peregrinos per capita than any other nationality, so far this Spring I’ve met only two.

I could well believe that. Recently I looked up last year's pilgrim office statistics. 6643 pilgrims from Ireland recorded but only 5768 from the UK. Despite the fact that the UK population is 14 times greater than that of Ireland. That's a startling difference.

Fantastic. I'm coming from the U.S. in a couple of weeks, but still figuring out which route to take. You are inspiring me. Will look for your posts. Buen Camino.
On my blog there are pieces on How the Via de La Plata and Chemin du Puy are different from Camino Francis. I also did Portuguese Way and Primitivo. If you only have 2 weeks Primotivo and Portuguese Way are great. All of the Caminos are wonderful but I personally think the Francis is the most special because of the inspiring people on it and it feels more spiritual and magical to me. That said, its your Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kevin good luck with your Camino. We tried to get down to Killaloe last week but by boat not by foot. Storm Hector put paid to that plan! Will look forward to reading your blog I'm not on FB :(

When will you be in Spain Kevin? And which route will you be walking? I start on the Norte from Irun on July 4th.
Haha. Im still in Ireland. Will be in Cherbourg on Sunday so probably wont be in Spain until early August, perhaps after you are in Santiago.

@Kevin considine and other members - love the photos but if there are going to be more than one or two, could they please go in the "media" section and not the general part of the forum? Or at least in a thumbnail instead of full size. They take ages to load and use up forum bandwidth.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.