Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID It Aint Over Till the Fat Lady Sings - no offense intended just an expression

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
We may have seen the light at the end of the tunnel but it's getting dark again. Both the UK and Germany have advised against traveling to Spain as numbers of new C-19 cases rise again in Spain, Italy, Germany, and England. Do with that as you see fit, I'm following the advice of Samuel L. Jackson and staying the you know at home.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
IMHO it was not the light at the end of the tunnel - it was a tiny lightbulb where the tunnel bends :(
I feel very sad about folks whose hopes went up... seems that this year is truly SHOT for any type of travel.... 😢

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
IMHO the first wave was not even gone.
It is all a big mess.
Everything opened way too quickly in some parts here in Europe . Lots of people without masks who went partying or thought they were entitled to downtime. Well we are now back almost to the beginning....
Very disheartening.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
Well... how was it to "be done" if within the reasons everyone was told that we need a vaccine and that never materialized?
And as far as "people" go - we will ALWAYS have a number that just simply do not conform! It matters not that there is one per hundred or one per thousand - it makes it bad for everyone.... 😢

... and I'll stop here least I incur the Wrath of Khans and all the points that come with ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2021)
I have no idea who is David G Allen, yet I discovered this quote which is helpful to me as I contemplate my delayed September 2020 Camino. "Patience is the calm acceptance than things can happen in a diferent order than the one you have in mind." . So posts from folks who write "I ain't gonna 'cause I don't wanna" raise my eyebrows and, truth be told, my ire. Does a single word writen on this blessed Forum from a Missouri grandmother stop anyone from action/inaction? Nope. I am digging into this manure pile of this year to find that darn pony and I think that my pony's name is "Patience".

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
We who have had to cancel/postpone our Caminos for this year are hoping we can go in 2021, but that is just a "number", not a magic bullet...it may mean nothing. I don't want to be a naysayer cuz I really want to GO...but no one knows. I hope for a vaccine, or that the virus will wear itself out if we do our best to respect what is known.

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (tbc)
Well... how was it to "be done" if within the reasons everyone was told that we need a vaccine and that never materialized?
And you believed that this was going to just happen, when all the evidence from recent pandemics all points to the amount of time really required to develop a safe and effective vaccine if it ever happens at all? Even countries like mine, where there appears to be a greater reliance on evidence based action than elsewhere in the world, are still having a massive problem with a resurgence of the infection rates. A vaccine is not the short term answer, and I don't think it ever was.

Juspassinthrough

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
I just started re-reading A Tale of Two Cities, I’ve had some extra time on my hands and the introduction just seemed to be so appropriate:

“ It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...”

Sorry for the dark turn but, if the shoe fits. Here in Texas we’re beginning to see some improvement, finally. For my friends in the EU and around the world, may be time to tap the brakes so as not to join us. We didn’t learn our lesson, maybe we can be an example of what not to do. And, it all begins with us individually. Cover up, social distance, avoid crowds, especially inside. Most of all, be safe and stay well.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
It is all a big mess.
Everything opened way too quickly in some parts here in Europe . Lots of people without masks who went partying or thought they were entitled to downtime. Well we are now back almost to the beginning....
Very disheartening.
As I see it (but what do I know 🙄) the virus is still there, just as it was in March/April etc..at the height of it all. All we’ve done is controlling the rate of infection between ourselves ie fewer people in hospitals at the same time!
But (to me and my little understanding of things), nothing’s changed 🙁 We’re still as vulnerable if we don’t take precautions 🙁

Lexicos

Jim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Camino Portuguese 2019
Something has changed.
Those of us who are cautious and considerate of others are now even more cautious and considerate of others. Those who are reckless, foolish and ignorant are even more bold in their recklessness.
Life ain't going their way.

As far as the virus is concerned, nothing has changed, you're definitely right about that.

Last edited:

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
My partner who is Spanish flies into Madrid on Friday, originally she was planning to see it out with me to next year in Exeter, but her adult children and grandchildren want to see her, I don't blame them. Her eldest son was speaking to us tonight, he is a manager in some business in Madrid but in the run down to lockdown in Spain and the global halt on international travel he was spot on with the money on the timing of everything, he said to his mama tonight Madrid is looking at lockdown in just over a week and schools won't open in September( Madrid).
I'm going to travel with my partner to Bristol airport, it could be next year before I see her physically again. The storm clouds are circling.

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
But (to me and my little understanding of things), nothing’s changed 🙁 We’re still as vulnerable if we don’t take precautions 🙁
Absolutely. The virus is as infectious as ever, but now in some places there are more people carrying the virus.

Juspassinthrough

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
Does absence actually make the heart grow fonder? Here’s hoping things improve, sooner rather than later. I’m ever the optimist. Be safe.

My partner who is Spanish flies into Madrid on Friday, originally she was planning to see it out with me to next year in Exeter, but her adult children and grandchildren want to see her, I don't blame them. Her eldest son was speaking to us tonight, he is a manager in some business in Madrid but in the run down to lockdown in Spain and the global halt on international travel he was spot on with the money on the timing of everything, he said to his mama tonight Madrid is looking at lockdown in just over a week again and schools won't open in September.
I'm going to travel with my partner to Bristol airport, it could be a next year before I see her physically again. The storm clouds are moving overhead again.

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Here in Corpus Christi, we were locked down and the non essentials stayed home amd did stay home stuff while us essentials kept on powering through.
They opened up in stages, holiday cane round and all the non essentials went to the beach
The non essentials came down from white hot spot covid central San Antonio,Houston,Austin,etc...ad nausium...and congregated like mating lemmings.

And of course went from thoroughly controlled to one of the hottest spots in the nation.
Everyone who played by the rules are now suffering the consequenses for those who feel entitled to do what they want,when they want.

Im sorry for the bitter tone, but we went from having flattened the curve to topping it.
Travel is curtailed, they say one must self quarentine for x amount of days upon entering some countries at a designated hotel or place..adding expenses to an already pricey journey.
So now is a time to wait for us here..one wordnof my hometown and boom..self quarentine(the right thing to be sure!)
Im sure Santiago will understand one souls desires
One to do the right thing for the fellow man.
The desire to go hamstrung... and the attendant frustration..which is fertile breeding ground for discomfort and discontent.

You work for something and its snatched away .
So in my little corner of the world...
I sit and watch the candle of the idea burn slowly, guarding it jealously against errant breezes and find that even that tiny fire warms.

I hope everyone sitting round their tiny fires are watching it and are also warmed by an idea.
Taking liberties from a movie line.."an idea so fragile that the mearest breath on it? and its gone"
I can only imagine the light created when we all come together on the Way, and if Santiago will smile at the rivers of light we create headed toward his doorstep.

Well ,pity party over...
We will light the Way with our footsteps,so that those come after us may see the path and how to walk it.

El Cascayal

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo May 2019
Invierno November 2019
Ingles April (2020) postponed
I have no idea who is David G Allen, yet I discovered this quote which is helpful to me as I contemplate my delayed September 2020 Camino. "Patience is the calm acceptance than things can happen in a diferent order than the one you have in mind." . So posts from folks who write "I ain't gonna 'cause I don't wanna" raise my eyebrows and, truth be told, my ire. Does a single word writen on this blessed Forum from a Missouri grandmother stop anyone from action/inaction? Nope. I am digging into this manure pile of this year to find that darn pony and I think that my pony's name is "Patience".

Sheila Kenny

Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances (2002), (2012), (2013) C. Portuguese (2015)
Batten down the hatches
Beidh la eile ag an bPaorach
Fan sa mbaile
Fan slan
Ar feabhas Sean óg (with apologies for any errors in the Gaeilge ... my Spanish is better these days!)

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and back (no name; Tours; Francés; sea; no name)
Ar feabhas Sean óg (with apologies for any errors in the Gaeilge ... my Spanish is better these days!)
OK, that must mean "Excellent young Sean" or is it "Excellent, young Sean"?

But we non-speakers of Irish who have to rely on Google Translate still don't know whether "Beidh la eile ag an bPaorach" means "The Powerhouse will have another day" and if so, what THAT means, or if not, what it does mean. Can you help?

BruceNZ

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese 2012
Camino Mozarabe 2018 Granada-Merida
Camino de la Lana (2020)
As a flightless Kiwi we are fortunate that our 'go early,go hard' response and buy-in from most people has meant we operate almost normally in a domestic economy. Essentially people put the Nations interest before their own interests. And what gives me some hope is that nobody in this forum community DID take offense (at the title). Bless !

Sheila Kenny

Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances (2002), (2012), (2013) C. Portuguese (2015)
OK, that must mean "Excellent young Sean" or is it "Excellent, young Sean"?

But we non-speakers of Irish who have to rely on Google Translate still don't know whether "Beidh la eile ag an bPaorach" means "The Powerhouse will have another day" and if so, what THAT means, or if not, what it does mean. Can you help?
Excellent, young Sean! I was merely expressing delight in the most appropriate quote from Sean Lad, which I understand as meaning "We will rise again" or "We will live to fight another day". Yes, we Irish also delight in finding ways to 'get the message across' ... that fortunately will never be reliably translated by Google. 😊

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
"We will rise again" or "We will live to fight another day". Yes, we Irish also delight in finding ways to 'get the message across'
OK, many thanks, another puzzle is solved. I am afraid, in the given context of this thread and with so few Irish speakers around, the main message that came across was "I know (some) Irish". ☺

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Tsk, I should have put it into Google instead Google Translate! There is a saying in Irish, ”Beidh la eile ag an bPaorach”, literally ”Power will have another day” but usually taken to mean, ”We'll rise again!”

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2021)
Reminds me of the old joke: If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
I think by now most of us have come to the realization that this year’s Camino was simply not meant to be. After losing my wife to Younger Onset Alzheimer’s on New Years Day, I had resolved to go on Camino in the Spring to grieve, to find some joy, meet new people and discern what God wanted me to do next. -But then COVID19 happened. In the isolation it has forced me into a period of prayer and discernment, all at the same time to remain hopeful. This too, as they say, will pass. Perhaps we can use this time to think, to pray and to dream about the Camino. We will get to go - all in God’s time.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
And you believed that this was going to just happen, when all the evidence from recent pandemics all points to the amount of time really required to develop a safe and effective vaccine if it ever happens at all? Even countries like mine, where there appears to be a greater reliance on evidence based action than elsewhere in the world, are still having a massive problem with a resurgence of the infection rates. A vaccine is not the short term answer, and I don't think it ever was.
Doug - I didn't believe anything, especially that " this was going to just happen". My post was in response to @SabineP s IMHO the first wave was not even gone. at which point I basically asked HER how it was suppose to be done given that nothing has changed that would make it so (perhaps vaccine is just one of many components - i just chose to highlight)
I think the crux of most opinions of this thread (and perhaps many others...we do tend to create similar ones) is that until people learn to behave themselves and take responsibility for their actions - we will never get out from this crappy situation :(

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (tbc)
Doug - I didn't believe anything, especially that " this was going to just happen".
It's nice to know that you might not be as naive and gullible as your earlier post seemed to indicate!

But really, like you, I was using the opportunity for a little hyperbole.

I agree with your earlier observation, a vaccine was touted widely as the solution, even before there appeared to be reasonable evidence that one could be developed, or a rational basis for expecting it to be available 'soon'. This appears to me just a little short of magical thinking, and also seemed to be an excuse in some places for not moving quickly on using the full range of preventative measures.

And in that circumstance, governments responding to pressure to reduce restrictions to allow their economies to re-open raised the risk of increased levels of infection. And this clearly has happened in many places around the world. Right now in my own country, Australia, it appears we are facing all the effects of high levels of compliance avoidance, perhaps too early reduction of restrictions, as well as some issues with testing and contact tracing as the need for these essential services increases. There may be more!

Here, it has the hallmarks of a second wave, but on a worldwide scale, it isn't clear to me that we have not yet got past the first wave of controlling this pandemic. @SabineP raised this earlier, and @Kathar1na has linked to some other views on this.

I quoted your question '... how was it to be done ...' without really addressing that. It's a good question, but perhaps not the most productive one to ask. I suggest that if we asked that to learn how we know how to get better at managing and controlling this disease, that would be useful. But we should also be asking ourselves how best we move forward, both in planning our own caminos and in helping others plan and execute theirs.

@scruffy1 started this thread by suggesting he will be staying at home. So will I for the time being, but I want to walk the CP, visit my family and enjoy the freedom to travel currently denied to us. Perhaps staying at home is the most useful thing right now, but we can help each other better understand the next steps in changing that so we can travel, walk our pilgrimages and return home safely to our families.

Which is a roundabout and somewhat rambling way of acknowledging your earlier question deserved a far better response than I originally provided.

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future
It's nice to know that you might not be as naive and gullible as your earlier post seemed to indicate!

But really, like you, I was using the opportunity for a little hyperbole.

I agree with your earlier observation, a vaccine was touted widely as the solution, even before there appeared to be reasonable evidence that one could be developed, or a rational basis for expecting it to be available 'soon'. This appears to me just a little short of magical thinking, and also seemed to be an excuse in some places for not moving quickly on using the full range of preventative measures.

And in that circumstance, governments responding to pressure to reduce restrictions to allow their economies to re-open raised the risk of increased levels of infection. And this clearly has happened in many places around the world. Right now in my own country, Australia, it appears we are facing all the effects of high levels of compliance avoidance, perhaps too early reduction of restrictions, as well as some issues with testing and contact tracing as the need for these essential services increases. There may be more!

Here, it has the hallmarks of a second wave, but on a worldwide scale, it isn't clear to me that we have not yet got past the first wave of controlling this pandemic. @SabineP raised this earlier, and @Kathar1na has linked to some other views on this.

I quoted your question '... how was it to be done ...' without really addressing that. It's a good question, but perhaps not the most productive one to ask. I suggest that if we asked that to learn how we know how to get better at managing and controlling this disease, that would be useful. But we should also be asking ourselves how best we move forward, both in planning our own caminos and in helping others plan and execute theirs.

@scruffy1 started this thread by suggesting he will be staying at home. So will I for the time being, but I want to walk the CP, visit my family and enjoy the freedom to travel currently denied to us. Perhaps staying at home is the most useful thing right now, but we can help each other better understand the next steps in changing that so we can travel, walk our pilgrimages and return home safely to our families.

Which is a roundabout and somewhat rambling way of acknowledging your earlier question deserved a far better response than I originally provided.
Non compliance is the biggest threat.
This is not one countries problem...it is everyone's.
It was not difficult to understand but it has been lost on many who saw the relaxing of lockdown as returning to normality...a "get out of jail free" card. This is so disappointing.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I just started re-reading A Tale of Two Cities
Excellent idea! I am already collecting a few ideas for fall and winter isolation activities. With Covid arriving during my spring and summer, I have been enjoying activities in the garden that won't be so attractive in October-March.

A Tale of Two Cities is perhaps my favourite book. It is one of very few fiction items that I have kept physically on my shelves. I even have an emergency copy on my phone as the go-to book if I am ever isolated on a desert island with no services except a charged phone. The first sentence and the last are so brilliant, they make me swoon.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Excellent idea! I am already collecting a few ideas for fall and winter isolation activities. With Covid arriving during my spring and summer, I have been enjoying activities in the garden that won't be so attractive in October-March.

A Tale of Two Cities is perhaps my favourite book. It is one of very few fiction items that I have kept physically on my shelves. I even have an emergency copy on my phone as the go-to book if I am ever isolated on a desert island with no services except a charged phone. The first sentence and the last are so brilliant, they make me swoon.
I have never read the book, although am fully aware of the title. You make a great "plug" to give it a read!
I am not always a fan of fiction either (I prefer non fiction tales of survival through adversity), but I recommend "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett...a very captivating tale of the building of the cathedrals in Europe and the many difficulties incurred along the way.
P.S...I will blame you, @C clearly for hijacking this thread a bit.😉

alhartman

346 joyful days in Spain and France since 2005
Camino(s) past & future
Hope so!
https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

Is a great summary of masks, transmission, etc. Not the the level of peer reviewed science of course. But deep in the article I got reassurance that my mask is likely protecting me!!. Household flu transmission data only, but unmasked 17% transmission, surgical mask 5% and N95 4%.
Not sure of 'rules' so admins feel free to take this down if in violation.
I am now more optimistic since I feel I have some control and am not completely at the mercy of all the inconsiderate non-mask-wearing zealots!

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I am not always a fan of fiction either
To continue the hijack... I love fiction. I just don't keep books. I borrow most from the library and give away others after I read them, since once is usually enough. I also like tales of survival, as well as Follett. A Tale of Two Cities is not easy reading, but it is powerful once you get into it.

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
It is all a big mess.
Very disheartening.
I so have to agree with you Sabine. Everything was opened up Way, way too soon. Just at the present time, Western Australia where I live, is a good place to be, but, that could also change in an instant. This virus replicates and changes...very evil indeed. I would love to be travelling once again but can only do so within my own State borders.

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
I so have to agree with you Sabine. Everything was opened up Way, way too soon. Just at the present time, Western Australia where I live, is a good place to be, but, that could also change in an instant. This virus replicates and changes...very evil indeed. I would love to be travelling once again but can only do so within my own State borders.
Opened up too soon?....not to some of us, we are still observing that principle. Only going out because you need to.

SabineP

Camino(s) past & future
Opened up too soon?....not to some of us, we are still observing that principle. Only going out because you need to.
Of course some professions have to go out nevertheless. Like I have to do. With all necessary precautions. Makes me even more aware how vulnerable my own social bubble is.

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Of course some professions have to go out nevertheless. Like I have to do. With all necessary precautions. Makes me even more aware how vulnerable my own social bubble is.
I couldn't agree more...stay safe while you do it.
You are going out because you need to.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino June 2018 from Leon to SdC. Plan Frances 2022, Porto Central-Finisterre 2023, LePuy-SJ 2024
And as far as "people" go - we will ALWAYS have a number that just simply do not conform! It matters not that there is one per hundred or one per thousand - it makes it bad for everyone.... 😢

... and I'll stop here least I incur the Wrath of Khans and all the points that come with ;)
Vaccines do not materialise in the short time the virus has been active. Patience is a virtue and a vaccine will materialise in the near future. Great news today re commencement of phase 3 trials for an Aussie vaccine of which the medicos are convinced will be very successful. A big bonus is it's a public health research effort, not profit driven. Stay tuned.

malingerer

samarkand
Camino(s) past & future
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
I like words ;)
the title of this thread made me think (Yes! I do!) Whilst no offence was intended or taken by me, it reminded me of the opera singer who used to sing to every troopship docking at Durban during WWII. she sang to the ship I came in on back in 1957 on my way to Hong Kong. We had to come round the Cape as the Suez canal was closed at the time during a certain fracas. This is probably off thread but its a funny old world and the connections are often strange. Be that as it may here's to a safe and considerate Camino, wherever and whenever that may be.
:)

samarkand

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
the title of this thread made me think (Yes! I do!) Whilst no offence was intended or taken by me, it reminded me of the opera singer who used to sing to every troopship docking at Durban during WWII. she sang to the ship I came in on back in 1957 on my way to Hong Kong. We had to come round the Cape as the Suez canal was closed at the time during a certain fracas. This is probably off thread but its a funny old world and the connections are often strange. Be that as it may here's to a safe and considerate Camino, wherever and whenever that may be.
:)

samarkand
And I am one who is often of many words. Your post got me thinking too of how I used to enjoy the Bob Hope Christmas television specials when he'd visited our troops in Viet Nam. When the camera would pan the audience of soldiers as they were relaxing, smiling and laughing, it was (and still is) amazing to see how a dose of humor can be so uplifting, even in the most dire of circumstances.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
The thread is now totally & completely hijacked!

Re: Pillars of the Earth - to those who have not done it yet I wholeheartedly recommend the whole "Kingsbridge" series:
The Evening and the Morning (the prequel)​
World Without End & A Column of Fire (the chronological sequels)​
Brits of course may know it that Kingsbridge Cathedral was modeled after Salisbury Cathedral. As a matter of fact, if you visit Salisbury Cathedral - they have a nice little brochure that explains 'the connection'. It was also used for some external shots in the 2010 miniseries based on the book.

re: Entertaining the troops - I am also sure that it was more of the Brits then some of us elsewhere in the world who noticed that Dame Vera Lynn passed last month at the age of 103.
Here is a nice Memory Lane Trip

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
Vaccines do not materialise in the short time the virus has been active. Patience is a virtue and a vaccine will materialise in the near future.
Dennis - I know that (see my response to Doug as to what I meant when I posted)
And if anything - I had a good number of folks telling me way-back-when in early March that this thing will be done by summer and WE WILL have the vaccine... and I just kept on looking at them and shake my head
Guess I proved them wrong (although... Oh how I wish that I was wrong....:()

Camino(s) past & future
Camino June 2018 from Leon to SdC. Plan Frances 2022, Porto Central-Finisterre 2023, LePuy-SJ 2024
Dennis - I know that (see my response to Doug as to what I meant when I posted)
And if anything - I had a good number of folks telling me way-back-when in early March that this thing will be done by summer and WE WILL have the vaccine... and I just kept on looking at them and shake my head
Guess I proved them wrong (although... Oh how I wish that I was wrong....:()
Regardless of how sooner or later it will eventuate so not so much an issue of right or wrong. The wrong is with those who's heads are in the sand or who's motivations are even more perverse. People are dying as a consequence of such mentality. Our inconvenience is of a minor consequence compared to millions who suffer much worse on a daily basis all their lives which so often are cut short.
Not telling you how to suck eggs, just my opinion and thanks for the clarification. All good.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Brits of course may know it that Kingsbridge Cathedral was modeled after Salisbury Cathedral. As a matter of fact, if you visit Salisbury Cathedral - they have a nice little brochure that explains 'the connection'.
Buffy, I have been to the Salisbury Cathedral last summer. I was so engrossed viewing the Magna Carta display that I did not notice a brochure about the connection to Kingsbury in the mini-series. Although I enjoyed the miniseries, the books are far superior. I'm sure you agree.🙂

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
Not telling you how to suck eggs,...
Its not a question of how to suck eggs but rather which side (little end or big end) are they broken from ;)

the thread is hijacked yet once again
are you a small Endian or a big Endian? 😂

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
@Camino Chrissy - you almost have to SPECIFICALLY ask for the brochure. (lots of times its that 'secret' know how to that gets you these gems... For a very long time - as one of the examples - if you were visiting Chancellorsville Battlefield in Virginia you had to tell a Ranger in the Visitor's Center that you want to visit Stonewall Jackson's arm; at which point he\she would very nicely give you directions to the place where it is buried and provide a parking slip so your car would not get towed.... :). Now it a part of the whole Battlefield tour so it is accessible to all without jumping through the hoops... which I guess is good but there was something about it "the old way")

And, yes I am definitely one of the people that put the books before movies.

Camino(s) past & future
Its not a question of how to suck eggs but rather which side (little end or big end) are they broken from ;)

the thread is hijacked yet once again
are you a small Endian or a big Endian? 😂
I'm definitely a Mid Endian, or as the old saying goes ' 2 Bob each way'.

Mycroft

It is all a big mess.
Very disheartening.
You are so right, Sabine. We are still in Round One, and while I am sure Boris would like it to be true that the first wave has passed (so he doesn't have to think about how he inadequately dealt with things this year), he is wrong. We need a massive worldwide lock down. (Just heard Portugal has opened up....)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Norte and Frances Sept 6 - Oct 11, 2016
IMHO it was not the light at the end of the tunnel - it was a tiny lightbulb where the tunnel bends :(
I feel very sad about folks whose hopes went up... seems that this year is truly SHOT for any type of travel.... 😢
Unfortunately, yes travel is shot for this year. I am really missing traveling as I would take 3 or 4 trips a year. That's probably the hardest thing for me about this situation.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 Considering Invierno late (2020) In lieu of VdlP (2020)
For those familiar with military radio telephone procedures - 'pot, this is kettle, over'!
Best laid plans - SNAFU
and for an older generation of Digital engineers Failed Unibus Address Register - FUBAR.

I had planned on the VdlP in March of this year. I have moved this to 2021 but I don't think I will make any serious plans untill March 1st 2021.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I had planned on the VdlP in March of this year. I have moved this to 2021 but I don't think I will make any serious plans untill March 1st 2021.
I moved my camino plans from April 2020 to April 2021...but like you, will probably wait until April 1st (Fool's Day🙄) to plan.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Unfortunately, yes travel is shot for this year. I am really missing traveling as I would take 3 or 4 trips a year. That's probably the hardest thing for me about this situation.
You are speaking exacly for me. I take several great trips a year...caminos included. This has been difficult for me to give it up.

lunna

Camino(s) past & future
frances; lisboa-muxia; norte+bayonne; vdlp; le puy; voie d'arles+aragones; geneva to ales
Here in Corpus Christi, we were locked down and the non essentials stayed home amd did stay home stuff while us essentials kept on powering through.
They opened up in stages, holiday cane round and all the non essentials went to the beach
The non essentials came down from white hot spot covid central San Antonio,Houston,Austin,etc...ad nausium...and congregated like mating lemmings.

And of course went from thoroughly controlled to one of the hottest spots in the nation.
Everyone who played by the rules are now suffering the consequenses for those who feel entitled to do what they want,when they want.

Im sorry for the bitter tone, but we went from having flattened the curve to topping it.
Travel is curtailed, they say one must self quarentine for x amount of days upon entering some countries at a designated hotel or place..adding expenses to an already pricey journey.
So now is a time to wait for us here..one wordnof my hometown and boom..self quarentine(the right thing to be sure!)
Im sure Santiago will understand one souls desires
One to do the right thing for the fellow man.
The desire to go hamstrung... and the attendant frustration..which is fertile breeding ground for discomfort and discontent.

You work for something and its snatched away .
So in my little corner of the world...
I sit and watch the candle of the idea burn slowly, guarding it jealously against errant breezes and find that even that tiny fire warms.

I hope everyone sitting round their tiny fires are watching it and are also warmed by an idea.
Taking liberties from a movie line.."an idea so fragile that the mearest breath on it? and its gone"
I can only imagine the light created when we all come together on the Way, and if Santiago will smile at the rivers of light we create headed toward his doorstep.

Well ,pity party over...
We will light the Way with our footsteps,so that those come after us may see the path and how to walk it.
Same selfishness here in Queens, NYC, where people should especially have learned how horrible this virus is.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I have a son in the military...I'll ask him if SNAFU is used very often at Scott Air Force base.😛
It wouldn't surprise me to find that SNAFU belongs to a much earlier generation of servicemen and women, and will have been long replaced by something suitably colourful. It certainly wasn't common in my time in uniform, and the phrases that I might have used don't seem to be used frequently any more either.

Last edited:

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
We may have seen the light at the end of the tunnel but it's getting dark again. Both the UK and Germany have advised against traveling to Spain as numbers of new C-19 cases rise again in Spain, Italy, Germany, and England. Do with that as you see fit, I'm following the advice of Samuel L. Jackson and staying the you know at home.
I agree although I do miss the paths of the Camino.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I first heard the word “ Fubar” in the movie, Saving Private Ryan.
Fubar” is a GI substitution for “Furchtbar!” It is derived from the mangled GI German word "Furchtbar" which means terrible or horrible -- Furcht means fear, and the "bar" is added to make it an adverb or noun. The average american GI during WWII would have had difficulty pronouncing “Fruchtbar” as the German gutteral /cht/ is not a typical English sound. So the soldiers simply eliminated /cht/and hence “fubar”

Last edited:

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I first heard the word “ Fubar” in the movie, Saving Private Ryan.
Fubar” is a GI substitution for “Furchtbar!” It is derived from the mangled GI German word "Furchtbar" which means terrible or horrible -- Furcht means fear, and the "bar" is added to make it an adverb or noun. The average american GI during WWII would have had difficulty pronouncing “Fruchtbar” as the German gutteral /cht/ is not a typical English sound. So the soldiers simply eliminated /cht/and hence “fubar”
This is an interesting etymology, but I can only find one source that supports even a tentative influence from the German. My search hasn't been exhaustive, but most online etymology and dictionary sites I've looked at seem to trace the origin back to 'foo' a Chinese word introduced into the US by a comic strip series in the 1930s. The alternative explanation is this was a direct invention as an acronym expressing the feeling servicemen and women have when things get fouled up by circumstances, senior officers, etc.

Noting that there is always a difficulty tracing the origins of slang words when they don't appear in print until well after they have become commonly used as jargon or in colloquial speech, I doubt we here will come to a definitive answer on this.

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
I have only hear FUBAR and SNAFU as the acronyms for the past 55+ years or so. I was introduced to them by my dad who served in the navy in in the pacific theater 1940s. He waited until he thought I was old enough to handle the ahem, slang.

And being one of the old digital engineers from the Assembler and Machine Language days I never heard the Unibus referenced by Marcus-UK. Learn something new every day.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 Considering Invierno late (2020) In lieu of VdlP (2020)
And being one of the old digital engineers from the Assembler and Machine Language days I never heard the Unibus referenced by Marcus-UK. Learn something new every day.
In the Early Days of Commercial Computing (1970-1980s') The Digital Equipment Corporation DEC used a 16 bit UNIBUS architecture to connect Disk and Tape Drives to the Central Processor (PDP or VAX).
When the inevitable disk crash occurred. I and my colleagues would use FUBAR over the phone to Logistics stores to describe the reason why a new head disk assembly was required.
The Failed UNIBUS etc explanation was sometimes necessary when the usually female computer operations staff overheard the conversation.
During this period a large percentage of Field Engineers were ex military and the acronyms were carried ove and adapted for civilian use.

Juspassinthrough

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Inglés 2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Camino Aragonés (2023?)
Possibly I can help by using FUBAR in a sentence. On July 29th, @scruffy1 posted a comment about the resurgence of CV-19 in several countries. Since then, the thread has taken several turns including the origination of SNAFU and FUBAR. Based upon the original comment, this thread is FUBAR.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself 🤭

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
In the Early Days of Commercial Computing (1970-1980s') The Digital Equipment Corporation DEC used a 16 bit UNIBUS architecture to connect Disk and Tape Drives to the Central Processor (PDP or VAX).
When the inevitable disk crash occurred. I and my colleagues would use FUBAR over the phone to Logistics stores to describe the reason why a new head disk assembly was required.
The Failed UNIBUS etc explanation was sometimes necessary when the usually female computer operations staff overheard the conversation.
During this period a large percentage of Field Engineers were ex military and the acronyms were carried ove and adapted for civilian use.
learn something new every day. I started coding in the early 70s on IBM equipment. No unibus there. But my father was navy in the 40s during WWII and that is where he learned FUBAR.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
A number of posts have been deleted as they got into a semantic debate that was off-topic. Once the initial post was deleted, the follow-up posts made no sense. The original topic of the thread was that the pandemic is not over. I think that point has been made, so I'm closing the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
domigee Covid and the Camino 135
OLDER threads on this topic
COVID Do you still feel like walking?

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock