• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It appears to be happening again.

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
So, after boring my pal with tales of the Camino it has been suggested that we attempt a mini camino in September.. we only have a couple of weeks so I'm considering doing a 12ish day stretch on the CF.. 250-300km and I'm thinking it would be nice for her to end at Santiago for her first attempt .. that way we get some pre-sarria days in (I'm thinking start around ponferrada ish) which should offer a taste of the quieter sections before the Sarria crowds.
Unfortunately this probably means I'll be back on here getting giddy and writing annoying posts..
I'm just wondering, does anyone know if:
1. I should take a sleeping bag
2. I can take my poles on the plane
3. What's the best guidebook
4. Will I need GPS
5. Should I buy new boots and not try them before I go?
6. Is an 80L 55lb rucksack big enough
7. Will I be lonely between Sarria and Santiago
8. Can I get coffee in Spain

Thank you
Hugs
Andy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, after boring my pal with tales of the Camino it has been suggested that we attempt a mini camino in September.. we only have a couple of weeks so I'm considering doing a 12ish day stretch on the CF.. 250-300km and I'm thinking it would be nice for her to end at Santiago for her first attempt .. that way we get some pre-sarria days in (I'm thinking start around ponferrada ish) which should offer a taste of the quieter sections before the Sarria crowds.
Unfortunately this probably means I'll be back on here getting giddy and writing annoying posts..
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. 😂😂😂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
Hi Andywild,

Definitely taking "the Mick"!!!!!

Have a wonderful time and
Bring your own coffee and tea bags!!!
Annette

4. Will I need GPS
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. 😂😂😂
And when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know nothing about questions 1-8 but I'm pretty sure you will be back on here getting giddy and writing annoying posts. Please make that happen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
I dont think you need a sleeping bag at all. I have walked four caminos (two on the CF) in September and October and didnt need one. If you are walking in Galicia the albergues have blankets. Get a sleep sack or a liner that will be more than enough.
If you check your pack you can take poles. I would never check my pack because if it gets lost you are screwed. Either buy poles when you arrive or get a tube from Fedex and check your poles only. I would also throw in a Swiss army knife. They come in really handy.
Many people use the Brierley book. You can also download the Wise Pilgrim app or Buen Camino they both have offline maps and GPS too. You can get a temporary SIM card from Movistar or Orange. I like Orange because for 20 Euros you get 10 gigs and 80 minutes of calling for a month,
See above no GPS needed
The worst thing you can do is not wear your boots. If you are going in September get trail runners. I think most people have less blisters with those. Walk with them for at least a month. Also get a size larger your feet will swell up. Put vaseline on every morning all over your feet.
You wont get lonely on that stretch as it is as crowded as grand central station
they not only have coffee in Spain they have food too.
I think this may be a joke of a thread

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
You forgot a few questions

What's the average distance I should walk each day - 5km or 50km?

Will 5000€ in cash be enough for my Camino?

How do sim cards work in Spain?

I dont think you need a sleeping bag at all. I have walked four caminos (two on the CF) in September and October and didnt need one. If you are walking in Galicia the albergues have blankets. Get a sleep sack or a liner that will be more than enough.
If you check your pack you can take poles. I would never check my pack because if it gets lost you are screwed. Either buy poles when you arrive or get a tube from Fedex and check your poles only. I would also throw in a Swiss army knife. They come in really handy.
Many people use the Brierley book. You can also download the Wise Pilgrim app or Buen Camino they both have offline maps and GPS too. You can get a temporary SIM card from Movistar or Orange. I like Orange because for 20 Euros you get 10 gigs and 80 minutes of calling for a month,
See above no GPS needed
The worst thing you can do is not wear your boots. If you are going in September get trail runners. I think most people have less blisters with those. Walk with them for at least a month. Also get a size larger your feet will swell up. Put vaseline on every morning all over your feet.
You wont get lonely on that stretch as it is as crowded as grand central station

All sound advice but Andywild knows all that already - he was taking the mick.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've decided not to walk in km. Whilst walking the 800km from sjpdp last year I regularly wished I'd walked the 500 mile option instead. Unfortunately the group I walked with were all walking in km and I couldn't swap to miles as I would have hated to split the group up.
I am going to play it safe money-wise.. I'm taking 8000 euro in small denominations. This means changing all my money into 1&2 euro coins and adds 80kg to my pack weight.
I'm not too worried about a Sim card. I have no friends and therefore won't be needing to call anyone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've decided not to walk in km. Whilst walking the 800km from sjpdp last year I regularly wished I'd walked the 500 mile option instead. Unfortunately the group I walked with were all walking in km and I couldn't swap to miles as I would have hated to split the group up.
I am going to play it safe money-wise.. I'm taking 8000 euro in small denominations. This means changing all my money into 1&2 euro coins and adds 80kg to my pack weight.
I'm not too worried about a Sim card. I have no friends and therefore won't be needing to call anyone.
Seriously Andy,
You need to get on the ...Not So Serious Thread ....it's fun......and we laugh at anything.....and I mean anything!!

I’m so enjoying this thread🤪🤪

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

You should have requested miles walkers at the start when you got allocated your Camino family.

I'm not a huge fan of sporks as I find the spoon element is often unused and therefore unnecessary weight.. however a spoonless knife/fork combination appeals to me.. I guess it would be a knork?
I take 7 pairs of socks on a camino and knot them altogether in a long line creating a handy scarf.. I like to call it a scock....

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Andy. If you're getting new hiking poles make sure that you get a matched pair. Last time I didn't check the handles and ended up with two right hand poles. Spent most of the Camino veering off track to the right. Even worse, the wife had two left handed poles. We hardly saw each other most days.

I take 7 pairs of socks on a camino and knot them altogether in a long line creating a handy scarf.
To save weight I take just 3 socks. At rest stops the left sock comes off to be washed. Then the right sock is rotated to the left foot and the previously cleaned sock goes on the right foot. ;)

Andy. If you're getting new hiking poles make sure that you get a matched pair. Last time I didn't check the handles and ended up with two right hand poles. Spent most of the Camino veering off track to the right. Even worse, the wife had two left handed poles. We hardly saw each other most days.
You definitely need @davebugg's new E-Poles!
The E-Poles don't replace actual walking, they just provide 75% of the effort to each stride. This allows you to walk with only 25% of the energy compared to manual walking.

Imagine, walking from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona in ONE day; no more messy reservation worries at Orrison or Roncesvalles Alburgue. . . you have so many more lodging options to choose from on your very first day.

You arrive with less risk of shin splints, blisters, ankle twists, and other assorted musculo-skeletal injuries. Plantars Fasciitis is now a thing of the past.

But, wait, there's more. . . . Act now and we'll UPGRADE your E-Poles to our DELUXE model with NO EXTRA CHARGE. So in addition to your power pace perfecter, you will also receive our exclusive automatic Gyroscopic Monitor and Corrector (GMC).

No more tumbles, spills, or falls. If you start to trip or slip, our exclusive GMC will sense your impending doom. Then in a split second, it will automatically move your E-Poles to the proper placement and angle, then power assist you to an upright position.

So, Order Now for only $19.95 ****

*** Batteries, shaft, tips, and hand grips are not included, but are available as optional add ons.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They sound truly incredible !! Obviously I'd forget them at the first bar I came to but I will definitely be buying a pair...
Actually, I've just thought of a way of upgrading them... By simply attaching a piece of technical string that travels up your sleeve (think mittens when you were 6) they would never be forgotten..

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
This is a joke right?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My ignorance but he has done a Camino?
So all the questions are things that one would have dealt with on a Camino? No?
Also the responses and subsequent responses and questions seem to have a sense of humour to them? No ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nah, Andy you know all that.
But if you ditch the Frances and walk the Invierno instead, you'll have a ton of potentially annoying questions to ask about a new route.
All sorts of potential for getting us all worked up - or laughing. Or both.
🤣
I'm thinking of the VDLP in April... Luckily there's tons of stuff I don't know so be prepared!! 🤣

Also the responses and subsequent responses and questions seem to have a sense of humour to them? No ?
I apologise for the confusion. Yes last year I walked the CF from sjpdp in April and then the CP from Porto and added on finisterra.. I do occasionally ask serious questions though... But mainly I post just to interact with all the lovely people on here. Any any knowledge gained or shared is purely accidental 😀

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Also don't forget to switch the weather app on your phone to Fahrenheit rather than Celsius. I made this mistake and couldn't figure out why it was freezing in the middle of summer.

One of my main concerns with the CF was that I only learned how to ask for a cheese sandwich in Spanish.. this year I plan on learning the word for onion so I can alternate between cheese and cheese and onion.. a whole new world of Spanish cuisine awaits.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yes, he has and kept us all entertained with his blog! https://firstcamino.wordpress.com/

Andy, I hope you intend to blog this mini-camino too?!

Buen Camino!

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
No, yes, don’t know but Mycaminobed is a great app for accommodation, no, depends on the state of your old boot, no (!!!! 40 l will do) NO - not unless you are really good at keeping people away; and finally... hmmmm???

Yes, he has and kept us all entertained with his blog! https://firstcamino.wordpress.com/

Andy, I hope you intend to blog this mini-camino too?!

Buen Camino!
Aww aren't you just lovely for saying that !!
Yep I'll be blogging and then hopefully there'll be a big blog to look forward to next April when I team up with Randy and tackle the VDLP.. (he's considering the Norte but im not feeling it... Going to research VDLP a bit more and see if that appeals)
🙂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It actually took me a few minutes and some typing a reply BEFORE the lightbulb went off. You were being funny....DOH! Oooh...NOW I get it!

As many of you know, my default setting is serious, like a heart attack. I am not prone to humor most of the time. Apparently when the angels were handing out funny bones during the human assembly process, I was in the born old, too serious, really dyspeptic, issuance queue... So, I immediately set to work answering your questions, as though they were serious...

THEN, and all of a sudden, it occurred to me that Andy's questions were ALL the same questions that EVERY newbie asks, over and over again, ad nauseum, without first trying the SEARCH FUNCTION. H-E-L-L-O!!!

At that moment, I had a good chuckle and decided NOT to answer the same questions for the upteenth time.

A little late for April Fools Day, but timely for Camino Easter Eggs...

Thanks for the chuckle!

It actually took me a few minutes and some typing a reply BEFORE the lightbulb went off. You were being funny....DOH! Oooh...NOW I get it!

As many of you know, my default setting is serious, like a heart attack. I am not prone to humor most of the time. Apparently when the angels were handing out funny bones during the human assembly process, I was in the born old, too serious, really dyspeptic, issuance queue... So, I immediately set to work answering your questions, as though they were serious...

THEN, and all of a sudden, it occurred to me that Andy's questions were ALL the same questions that EVERY newbie asks, over and over again, ad nauseum, without first trying the SEARCH FUNCTION. H-E-L-L-O!!!

At that moment, I had a good chuckle and decided NOT to answer the same questions for the upteenth time.

Thanks for the chuckle!
You shock me.. surely any regular on here sees my name and assumes the post will be inane drivel that only I find funny... I'm not sure if I should apologise or lay the blame squarely at your feet for not realising sooner...
On a more serious note I guess I should take this opportunity to thank everyone for putting up with me 😀😀
Hugs
Andy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Awww... I hope you will have a few new chapters of The tale of Saint James to offer in your next blog! Still waiting for them to have a good laugh.

Maybe you have a too snall backpack... This one has space for your hairdryer too...

View attachment 55607
Andy, you can never bring too much toilet paper on Camino. The more the better. It beats using leaves and twigs. So an 80L pack should handle your TP needs. 🙂

€46,-
I wasn't sure if anyone was reading the tale of st James.. I'll have to whip another chapter off and see where he's up to..
And toilet paper on a camino?? I prefer a true pilgrim experience.. surely using twigs brings us closer to God. (Although it's frowned upon in the burger king in Santiago... Apparently it blocks their toilets)

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
geezzz

Thanks for the chuckle!
Serious is good
Not so serious is good too
You do help a lot of people on the forum though
Next time you see Andywilds question just wait until you've had the 2nd cup of coffee......take it with a pinch of salt as well!!!

I wasn't sure if anyone was reading the tale of st James.. I'll have to whip another chapter off and see where he's up to..
And toilet paper on a camino?? I prefer a true pilgrim experience.. surely using twigs brings us closer to God. (Although it's frowned upon in the burger king in Santiago... Apparently it blocks their toilets)
Sorry, couldn’t resist contributing to the the toilet discussion: https://readingontheroad54893552.wordpress.com/2018/11/23/when-nature-calls/

See above no GPS needed
I hope so

Always walk your legs in miles its so much shorter. Take less weight in the afternoon you walk better and learn Finnish or Ungarian it's the lingua franca of the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
You make me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!! The shoes and coffee for real!!!!!!! But, I can at least answer the pole question in all seriousness. I put my collapsible poles in my carry-on luggage and they went through security fine both from the US and from LIS back to the US.

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
😜

Forget the Euros. Take bitcoin. And as far as distance goes, please walk in leagues or furlongs in order to make it feel shorter or longer. Your choice. Pack weight is measured in stone. A three stone pack is sensible. It sounds light.

€149,-

Ah yes. Sound advice from Briarly.

See above no GPS needed
Peace be with you!

It might be, but I needed all your answers! Thank you very much!

€149,-

As a serious coffee drinker I can assure you that you are in fjor a treat. Spain serves great coffee and plenty of it. Have a real nice Camino you two.

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
Hi Andy
Why don't you try the last 300k of the Norte?

Your questions, yes take a sleeping bag, 80l rucksack far too big (think around 40, the wise pilgrim guides, you don't need goals, you won't be lonely before sarria and yes you can get coffee, but you did the Frances route last year didn't you?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a thought on the limited time available for your Camino.
If you were to walk backwards from Santiago, facing Santiago and moving east you will know where you could have started at the end of your time on The Way.
I don't think it is necessary to wear your clothes backwards, or wear your pack on your chest....but the effect on the other Pilgrims and locals would be interesting.

My son Noel and Andy last year on the Camino. Noel says Andy knows answers to questions you haven't even thought of, Like where oh where is that Burger King!
Haha!! You can tell from my pose that I'm imparting gems of wisdom in that photo.. and that Noel is rapidly increasing his pace in an attempt to get away 😃😃

Last edited:
1. I should take a sleeping bag - Yes
2. I can take my poles on the plane - Make sure your break down and fit INSIDE your carry on pack.
3. What's the best guidebook - The one you get when you pick up your Credenciel. It is the smallest, lightest.T
4. Will I need GPS - No.
5. Should I buy new boots and not try them before I go? - No.
6. Is an 80L 55lb rucksack big enough? - TOO BIG. A 35L to 40L pack and 10 to 12 lb of stuff.
7. Will I be lonely between Sarria and Santiago - Not if your friend is with you. Not even by yourself.
8. Can I get coffee in Spain - Ask for Cafe con leche, por favor, (pronounced kafay con lay chay)

BOOWEN CAMINO!!! 😎

€46,-
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
Just the clothes you stand up in, an umbrella and a bread roll.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Andy
Why don't you try the last 300k of the Norte?

Your questions, yes take a sleeping bag, 80l rucksack far too big (think around 40, the wise pilgrim guides, you don't need goals, you won't be lonely before sarria and yes you can get coffee, but you did the Frances route last year didn't you?
I considered the Norte but seeing as I haven't walked it yet I thought doing the last 300km may spoil it if I ever decide to do it in full.. 🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. I should take a sleeping bag - Yes
2. I can take my poles on the plane - Make sure your break down and fit INSIDE your carry on pack.
3. What's the best guidebook - The one you get when you pick up your Credenciel. It is the smallest, lightest.T
4. Will I need GPS - No.
5. Should I buy new boots and not try them before I go? - No.
6. Is an 80L 55lb rucksack big enough? - TOO BIG. A 35L to 40L pack and 10 to 12 lb of stuff.
7. Will I be lonely between Sarria and Santiago - Not if your friend is with you. Not even by yourself.
8. Can I get coffee in Spain - Ask for Cafe con leche, por favor, (pronounced kafay con lay chay)

BOOWEN CAMINO!!! 😎

I think the term is................."You've been Andy'd" ;););)

€149,-
4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
1. No way sleeping bag. 2-3 lbs. get a liner. very light if it gets cooler layer up on clothes when you sleep.
2. Absolutely no poles on a plane.
Either buy some or pick some “leftovers at an albergue
3. The list from a pilgrim office. forget the book. Weighs too much.
4.The GPS you need is the yellow arrow and fellow pilgrims.
5. Going in September, buy boots now. Wear everyday get 100 miles on them.
6.My friend. You need a 34L-40ish L pack. Clothes 1 on 1 in the bag. your total weight bag and “stuff “ about 11-12lbs. Clothes think layers and multiple use.
7. Sarria to Santiago is rush hour on the Camino
8.Experience the experience. Drink there coffee and enjoy every moment
9. Good luck/ Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve done marathon walks in the states for over ten years doing a full marathon in one day. Injinji toe socks made that possible. In warm temps I wear them alone. In colder temps, I wear them as liners under Smartwool and others. My Camino is next year and my injinji socks are first on my pack list.

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy
That 80L, 55lb rucksack is waaayyy too much.

4. Will I need GPS

Thank you
Hugs
Andy

Quietly checks calendar- seems not to be April 1.... (chuckle, chuck.e...)

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back