• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It doesn't seem real

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
After six months of planning I will be leaving home on Friday to start the CF on Sunday morning. My feelings are mixed, on the one hand I'm very excited, yet I am also apprehensive about the journey ahead. I woke up this morning and had this feeling of self doubt, considering I'm a confident person I found this very strange.
Well there's no going back now (I've told the other half that I'm off), so Sunday morning I'll be heading for Orrison for the night.

I'd like to thank everyone on the forum who has given me advice and helped in any way. Without this help I would have struggled to get to where I am.

I hope to see other pilgrims from the September contingent on the way, I'll be the old slow guy that everyone is passing.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Apprehensive?? From being a month + away from home, from preparing to waalk 750 + kilometers, with bunches of people you have never seen before speaking languages you have never heard before? What, Me Worry?
Buen Camino! You are going to love every minute of it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guys thanks for the kind words, I guess I'll feel a lot better when I'm sitting on the deck at Orrison Sunday afternoon.
I know (in my mind) that I.m fit enough and have the stamina to lug my backpack from SJ to eternity, but a lot of times in life when you slip over that 60 barrier the mind is strong but the body is weak.
I don't have a finish date for the journey or a return plane ticket, I have mentioned to my better half that I should be home in 6 or 7 weeks, the journey will take as long as it takes, the rest days will be when my body tells me ( wonder how long I can stay in Roncesvalles :D).
So am I worried, you bet I am, but hopefully I'll meet others who are as scared as I am. I have to say encouragement from experienced pilgrims is, like this forum, so very helpful.

Guys thanks for the kind words, I guess I'll feel a lot better when I'm sitting on the deck at Orrison Sunday afternoon.
I know (in my mind) that I.m fit enough and have the stamina to lug my backpack from SJ to eternity, but a lot of times in life when you slip over that 60 barrier the mind is strong but the body is weak.
I don't have a finish date for the journey or a return plane ticket, I have mentioned to my better half that I should be home in 6 or 7 weeks, the journey will take as long as it takes, the rest days will be when my body tells me ( wonder how long I can stay in Roncesvalles :D).
So am I worried, you bet I am, but hopefully I'll meet others who are as scared as I am. I have to say encouragement from experienced pilgrims is, like this forum, so very helpful.
Buen Camino Waka! You will be fine without the limitations and pressures of a finish date or return plane ticket. What a great to begin. Wishing you a wonderful adventure!!
Daniel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
so Sunday morning I'll be heading for Orrison for the night. [...]
I hope to see other pilgrims from the September contingent on the way, I'll be the old slow guy that everyone is passing

Buen Camino, Waka! I'll be 3 days behind you!
I know the very same feelings, in particular because I'm also starting (travelling to SJPdP) on my own. In my memory I have the saying "The Camino provides" and I hope that everything will be OK and also that I (we) will make it.

All the best to you. Perhaps we meet us somewhere along the way.

cu
Volker

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your post is timely for myself as I am experiencing the exact same emotions! And yes I am normally quite confident. Our paths may cross as I am on a similar timeline and giving myself all the time I need and having just crossed the "55" year line my body will need the time. Cheers

Dear Waka,

I am feeling very similar to what you describe. I leave my home in Vancouver, Canada today to start the CF also on Sunday, and also staying in Orrison that night. I hope I may join you in relaxing there in the afternoon to talk about how we're feeling so far with one day under our belts, and to anticipate the wonderful journey that lies ahead.

I am getting emotional even as I type these words. You're right, it doesn't seem real. Safe travels to you, Waka. I have a forum badge on my hot pink Osprey knapsack. Hope to meet you soon.

Best,
Araz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino, Waka and to all you others starting the Camino these days!

Last edited:
Hi Waka, you will do just fine. It's normal that you are a bit worried, after your first steps on your journey it's over.
And your stay at the albergue Orisson you will enjoy it. At night after the evening meal everyone will introduce him / here self to the other pilgrims. I loved it and so will you. I wish you all the best on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Dear Waka,

I am feeling very similar to what you describe. I leave my home in Vancouver, Canada today to start the CF also on Sunday, and also staying in Orrison that night. I hope I may join you in relaxing there in the afternoon to talk about how we're feeling so far with one day under our belts, and to anticipate the wonderful journey that lies ahead.

I am getting emotional even as I type these words. You're right, it doesn't seem real. Safe travels to you, Waka. I have a forum badge on my hot pink Osprey knapsack. Hope to meet you soon.

Best,
Araz
Hi Araz, I wish you a experience of a lifetime and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your post is timely for myself as I am experiencing the exact same emotions! And yes I am normally quite confident. Our paths may cross as I am on a similar timeline and giving myself all the time I need and having just crossed the "55" year line my body will need the time. Cheers
Hi Bobbi, you will do fine. You are not alone , you will meet plenty of pilgrims along your journey.
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After six months of planning I will be leaving home on Friday to start the CF on Sunday morning. My feelings are mixed, on the one hand I'm very excited, yet I am also apprehensive about the journey ahead. I woke up this morning and had this feeling of self doubt, considering I'm a confident person I found this very strange.
Well there's no going back now (I've told the other half that I'm off), so Sunday morning I'll be heading for Orrison for the night.

I'd like to thank everyone on the forum who has given me advice and helped in any way. Without this help I would have struggled to get to where I am.

I hope to see other pilgrims from the September contingent on the way, I'll be the old slow guy that everyone is passing.

Buen Camino.
I was feeling exactly the way you are just yesterday morning. Just arrived in Pamplona and will bus to SJPDP tomorrow. Have already met three wonderful women, all traveling alone. But as one kind member pointed out, there is no "alone" on the Camino. Have the time of your life!

Sounds very normal to have those pre camino jitters. Add me to the list. I'm leaving 1 week after you. Buen Camino! Si se puede! (Keep repeating this to myself too)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino.

Self doubt as the time nears ? Come on! ;) I wonder who else might have felt that? Probably all of us first timers :)

I've got some summary videos on my Blog on this page. Check out Video 1 'The Beginning' http://robscamino.com/camino-de-santiago-video-series/

That first day was probably one of the best. The realisation that I was 'actually here' doing what I had planned for 18 months and that I was no longer watching a movie about the Camino..... I was actually walking 'my' Camino. You will be walking on air!

Buen Camino :)

Waka, I have had the same thoughts and apprehensions . I'm leaving Saint Jean on the 15th. Then I remember I've had that feeling before. I'm 68 and my mind thinks it's ready it just doesn't know if the body is :)). However, like you, I have an open schedule so I'm just going to pace myself and enjoy the journey....

Buen Camino,

Buen Camino.
I leave in three weeks. Color me excited and apprehensive too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just put a coating of dubbin on my hiking boots, sharpened my telescopic snorer poker and have them packed. Two more days of work, then I leave Vancouver for CDG on Saturday. I'll be starting off in SJPDP on Monday Sept 14th and staying over night at the refuge Orisson.
Once I step on the plane, anything that happens from that point on - good or bad will just be an adventure. I'm getting excited.

Buen Camino
John

Hi Waka,

Remember when you were a child on a water slide?
It's now the same: you are gone and the Camino is driving you! No way back!
So enjoy and take the time to wonder everything.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

I just put a coating of dubbin on my hiking boots, sharpened my telescopic snorer poker and have them packed. Two more days of work, then I leave Vancouver for CDG on Saturday. I'll be starting off in SJPDP on Monday Sept 14th and staying over night at the refuge Orisson.
Once I step on the plane, anything that happens from that point on - good or bad will just be an adventure. I'm getting excited.

Buen Camino
John
Woo hoo! Buen Camino John!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back