• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

IT (iliotibial band) Syndrome: Good ways to deal with this?

Jeanne F

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hello Pilgrims,
I have IT band syndrome which plagued me previously as a runner. I have been walking with my pack to get ready for my April 25 Camino departure. And...it's back! Mostly knee pain on the outside of my knee but sometimes all over my knee. Also radiating pain in low back/buttocks area. It really squawks at me when I'm walking, even when flat. I also feel a weird sensation in the back of my knee. My physical therapist prescribed some stretches and strengthening, but I was wondering if any of you folks who have actually walked the Camino have dealt with this. Thanks in advance for any advice!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife has had a lot of knee pain and the physio (with Scans) worked out the IT band was tight and was pulling the knee cap sideways a bit. Not sure what the medical term is!

He got her exercising with a hard foam roller. Pain went in 2 days!

Just Google IT Band Roller. Might help?

We are taking a mini one with us. Though a wine bottle would probably work too ;);)

1520872866849.png

I'm a fellow sufferer with IT band syndrome and also weak glutes. I bring a tennis ball with me on the camino and I use this instead of the foam roller on the glutes - might be worth checking it out with your physio if you could bring something small but similar with you when you are on the camino. I met a guy in the hostel in Melide who had brought his foam roller with him (he was using the correos baggage service) and he was very kind and let me use it - heaven and hell at the same time!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a runner I had ITBS 10 years ago. My PT said to work on my core strength along with strengthening other muscle group. I continue to do strength training and core work several times a week...except on the camino which is walking everyday. It is important to stretch after a long days walk and that should help and there are also some yoga poses/stretch that are great. I'd say if you put a few yoga stretches together you could probably get a few other walker to join you.

I've had problems with my left ITB (worst about a year or two before my camino). Don't really remember if it hurt just before the camino, but the first day of walking was awful, it was very sharp pain. I kept walking and ignoring it and after some time it just vanished completely... in one step: pain-no pain.
Then it transferred to my other leg. I've never had problems with this side. Wasn't as severe as the left side. Walked it off too. Didn't have problems with it the rest of the way.
I did bring my tennis balls for massage. Didn't take the foam roller, but I love foamrolling at home. Did yoga whenever there was time after walking.
It's important to massage the muscles around the ITB, the ones connecting to it and pulling on it.

I'm a fellow sufferer with IT band syndrome and also weak glutes. I bring a tennis ball with me on the camino and I use this instead of the foam roller on the glutes - might be worth checking it out with your physio if you could bring something small but similar with you when you are on the camino. I met a guy in the hostel in Melide who had brought his foam roller with him (he was using the correos baggage service) and he was very kind and let me use it - heaven and hell at the same time!

I use a lacrosse ball while on the Camino. It's denser than a tennis ball and tends to hold up better. Definitely worth it to me to carry the
few extra ounces.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife has had a lot of knee pain and the physio (with Scans) worked out the IT band was tight and was pulling the knee cap sideways a bit. Not sure what the medical term is!

He got her exercising with a hard foam roller. Pain went in 2 days!

Just Google IT Band Roller. Might help?

We are taking a mini one with us. Though a wine bottle would probably work too ;);)

View attachment 40136
Thank you so much! I rolled it last night and am already better today. Someone needs to invent a pocket foam roller! But I love the wine bottle idea!

I know right? That foam roller is my worst enemy and my best friend. Love the tennis ball idea.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've had problems with my left ITB (worst about a year or two before my camino). Don't really remember if it hurt just before the camino, but the first day of walking was awful, it was very sharp pain. I kept walking and ignoring it and after some time it just vanished completely... in one step: pain-no pain.
Then it transferred to my other leg. I've never had problems with this side. Wasn't as severe as the left side. Walked it off too. Didn't have problems with it the rest of the way.
I did bring my tennis balls for massage. Didn't take the foam roller, but I love foamrolling at home. Did yoga whenever there was time after walking.
It's important to massage the muscles around the ITB, the ones connecting to it and pulling on it.
Yes, PT said surrounding glutes, core and TFL important to target. Thank you!!!

As a runner I had ITBS 10 years ago. My PT said to work on my core strength along with strengthening other muscle group. I continue to do strength training and core work several times a week...except on the camino which is walking everyday. It is important to stretch after a long days walk and that should help and there are also some yoga poses/stretch that are great. I'd say if you put a few yoga stretches together you could probably get a few other walker to join you.
Yes I have been working my core for the last year and beyond for this problem. I thought that since it was a running injury it wouldn't happen because I was walking. Boy was I wrong! I haven't been stretching after my training walks as well as I should so this is my lesson. Thank you!!

I am beginning to develop knee problems with age. Caused no doubt by age itself as well as past injuries and wear and tear.
While not a diehard yoga practicer, I have found that two of the yoga movements or exercises have helped my knees tremendously. Helped reduce pain and maintained flexibility. These two exercises are the "child's pose" (also good for my lower back) and the deep squat, or I think it is also called a "yogi squat". I try to do them a few days of the week, and while have not walked a Camino since I started doing them, it should not be that difficult incorporating them into a daily routine after you have finished your days walk and have rested and relaxed. I would think 10-15 minutes daily of doing them would help a lot to avoid injury.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I brought a metal water bottle, when full of water it was an excellent roller!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.