• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It is coming soon Pancake Day 2014 is Tuesday March 4.

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Frances 2013-Ingles 2014-Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017-Via Francigena 2018 & 2019
I can't wait my favourite before lent is about to tempt my taste buds yet again I went to buy the Golden Syrup today to spread on those delicious pancakes. Time for us all to organise our own fest for any who may like it, here is one of many recipe's:

8 onz plain flour and 2eggs in a bowl mix with whisk gradually adding milk to the consistency of single cream then leave to rest for a while prep done to make pancakes heat frypan addings butter or oil add couple table spoons of mixture fry then toss when golden to do other side then served with syrup or lemon
What are your favourites on the camino?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think you might have to be at one of the Paradors to enjoy this one on the Camino pilgrim b, but this Pancake Day treat is a last indulgence here in the Great Southern Land before Lent ...

Crepes Suzette - Crepes with Grand Marnier Sauce ...

article-0-11C30DFA000005DC-487_470x455.jpg

Batter Ingredients:
100g plain flour/pinch salt/2 large free-range eggs/200ml milk mixed with 4TBLS water/2TB melted butter/1TB caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges.
Sauce Ingredients:
100g unsalted butter/75g caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges/4TBLS Grand Marnier or, if (quelle horreur!) you don't like Grand Marnier, you can substitute Cointreau.
Follow your method for your pancake batter mix, mix the sauce ingredients, and serve - and if you want to "take a walk on the wild side" you can always flambé the sauce!
Bon Appetit!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think you might have to be at one of the Paradors to enjoy this one on the Camino pilgrim b, but this Pancake Day treat is a last indulgence here in the Great Southern Land before Lent ...

Crepes Suzette - Crepes with Grand Marnier Sauce ...

article-0-11C30DFA000005DC-487_470x455.jpg

Batter Ingredients:
100g plain flour/pinch salt/2 large free-range eggs/200ml milk mixed with 4TBLS water/2TB melted butter/1TB caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges.
Sauce Ingredients:
100g unsalted butter/75g caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges/4TBLS Grand Marnier or, if (quelle horreur!) you don't like Grand Marnier, you can substitute Cointreau.
Follow your method for your pancake batter mix, mix the sauce ingredients, and serve - and if you want to "take a walk on the wild side" you can always flambé the sauce!
Bon Appetit!
Looks delicious but taking a walk anywhere after that seems daunting, never mind taking one on the Wild side JennieH94 ;)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't wait my favourite before lent is about to tempt my taste buds yet again I went to buy the Golden Syrup today to spread on those delicious pancakes. Time for us all to organise our own fest for any who may like it, here is one of many recipe's:

8 onz plain flour and 2eggs in a bowl mix with whisk gradually adding milk to the consistency of single cream then leave to rest for a while prep done to make pancakes heat frypan addings butter or oil add couple table spoons of mixture fry then toss when golden to do other side then served with syrup or lemon
What are your favourites on the camino?
Ok I will show my ignorance, what is pancake day? Here in the US we have pancakes all the time. No big deal. The Tuesday before lent here is called Fat Tuesday. I am sure you can figure out why. Those who believe over eat and enjoy that last day. Then fasting to Easter.

Ok I will show my ignorance, what is pancake day? Here in the US we have pancakes all the time. No big deal. The Tuesday before lent here is called Fat Tuesday. I am sure you can figure out why. Those who believe over eat and enjoy that last day. Then fasting to Easter.
You got it in one Jabaldo, Shrove Tuesday feast on Ash Wednesday Fast for lent, we feast with the batter of our fried pancakes! ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
torrijas.jpg
Torijas, everywhere in Spain during Holy week. Bread, milk, olive oil, cinnamon and sugar.
What joy in so many indulgences. We should all have an indulgence for liking this thread.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But don't forget with all this indulgence that Ash Wednesday follows Shrove Tuesday and tradition says sackcloth and ashes for you and fasting for forty days and nights (no sneaking down to the fridge at midnight) so be careful how much you indulge claiming it's "only all our tradition".

Enough! Stop!
I've just added 100g plain flour/pinch salt/2 large free-range eggs/200ml milk mixed with 4TBLS water/2TB melted butter/1TB caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges. 100g unsalted butter/75g caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges/4TBLS Grand Marnier .....
..... to my backpack, as after all this talk, I shall definitely need pancakes on my next camino in May.
Now the backpack weights 18 kgs.
[Thinks : gotta get the weight down .... do I really NEED two spare pairs of underpants? .....]
:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Enough! Stop!
I've just added 100g plain flour/pinch salt/2 large free-range eggs/200ml milk mixed with 4TBLS water/2TB melted butter/1TB caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges. 100g unsalted butter/75g caster sugar/zest and juice of 2 oranges/4TBLS Grand Marnier .....
..... to my backpack, as after all this talk, I shall definitely need pancakes on my next camino in May.
[Thinks : gotta get the weight down .... do I really NEED two spare pairs of underpants? .....]
Stephen, Stephen you have forgotten the pan, not pants, pan, one pan to cook them in!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Enough! Stop!
Stephen ... You'll be popular at dessert time in the albergues with all these goodies in your backpack ... what a fantastic way to connect with other pilgrims ! :):)
Have a wonderful camino, and take joy in every step -
Cheers - Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah! You're right! And the gas burner - only a little one .... pack now weighs 23 kgs .... :oops:
Don't forget the two tubs of Golden Syrup only weigh 1kg each don't want to run out of that,* Thought** should be OK through customs it's not liquid really it's kind of like treacle or dynamite, yeah not really a problem once they have tasted it's sweetness leave them one as a gift. Better take three!!;)

Maple syrup over tart lemon juice ... oh yes .....

I seem to remember that Tolkein had a pancake recipe ..... ;)

"Three Eggs for the batter mix under the Camino sky,

Seven measures of Finest Flour for the Hospitelarios in their halls of stone,

Nine lemons for Mortal Pilgrims doomed to sigh (from over-eating),

One shake of Cinnamon for the Lord Saint James on his Santiago throne

In the Land of Spain where the Crosses’ Shadows lie.

One Pan to hold them all, One Fish Slice to turn them,

One Whisk to stir it all and in the mixing bowl, bind them

In the Land of Spain where the Caminos lie."

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maple syrup over tart lemon juice ... oh yes .....

I seem to remember that Tolkein had a pancake recipe ..... ;)

"Three Eggs for the batter mix under the Camino sky,

Seven measures of Finest Flour for the Hospitelarios in their halls of stone,

Nine lemons for Mortal Pilgrims doomed to sigh (from over-eating),

One shake of Cinnamon for the Lord Saint James on his Santiago throne

In the Land of Spain where the Crosses’ Shadows lie.

One Pan to hold them all, One Fish Slice to turn them,

One Whisk to stir it all and in the mixing bowl, bind them

In the Land of Spain where the Caminos lie."

Celebrations are called for : our Forum 'Bard' is back! Fabulous post David!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
pilgrim b ... Newsflash! Reports of your fantastic Pancake Day thread have spread across the globe to the sleepy seaside hamlet of Culburra Beach on the New South Wales South Coast, here in the land of Oz ...
Local café Ten Thousand Tastebuds have taken on board your spirit of goodwill and community on this significant day and are offering to feed us hungry Forum members delicious pancakes for a pilgrim price of $5. The following pics tell the story better than any words ever could ...
photo (18).JPG photo (19).JPG photo (21).JPG

Image 1: Today's the day! Image 2: Chef Maria with pancakes Image 3: the empty plates say it all!

Happy Pancake Day everyone - best wishes to all from the NSW South Coast -
Jenny

Happy pancake day everyone in Oz; remember to eat them slowly, savour every mouthful be mindful of the moment when that soft warm piece of crepe rest between your lips and the sweet flavour of the syrup hits your tongue with the sting of lemon juice, and you chew that first, of several pancakes that sit there on your plate just waiting for your attention. This is my dream tonight I shall awake tomorrow and it will be our turn in the Northern hemisphere to savour this delight for ourselves and become entwined in the trist of pancake lovers. Buen fritura amigos.

Happy pancake day everyone in Oz; remember to eat them slowly, savour every mouthful be mindful of the moment when that soft warm piece of crepe rest between your lips and the sweet flavour of the syrup hits your tongue with the sting of lemon juice, and you chew that first, of several pancakes that sit there on your plate just waiting for your attention. This is my dream tonight I shall awake tomorrow and it will be our turn in the Northern hemisphere to savour this delight for ourselves and become entwined in the trist of pancake lovers. Buen fritura amigos.

pilgrim b! I have noted the hour at which your witty post was added to this most excellent thread! Rather late! Methinks your wit has given you insomnia!
Enjoy your Pancake Day and perhaps regale us all with a photo of your pancake triumphs!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Off to buy the strawberry game to put on the pancakes. cheers
Hi PilgrimB - have just put your pancake mix to the test - two beautiful pancakes with strawberry jam and nice cup of coffee.
Hope you all have a very happy Shrove Tuesday. What are you giving up for Lent?
Cheers to all;)

pilgrim b! I have noted the hour at which your witty post was added to this most excellent thread! Rather late! Methinks your wit has given you insomnia!
Enjoy your Pancake Day and perhaps regale us all with a photo of your pancake triumphs!
Hi PilgrimB - have just put your pancake mix to the test - two beautiful pancakes with strawberry jam and nice cup of coffee.
Hope you all have a very happy Shrove Tuesday. What are you giving up for Lent?
Cheers to all;)

Dear lady of the Southern Isle I must have typed it in my 'sleep' something I will not give up for Lent! Saint Mike this is a tender subject but sadly I must confess it is to be my Gin and tonic for it is my favourite tiple, and I must not substitute this by drinking red wine. Oh the misery I am subjecting myself to in becoming a better pilgrim tis the pride that I must watch. Methinks pride may be a much better sacrifice to make for Lent. Yes I will drink to that.:)

Last edited:
Dear lady of the Southern Isle I must have typed it in my 'sleep' something I will not give up for Lent! Saint Mike this is a tender subject but sadly I must confess it is to be my Gin and tonic for it is my favourite tiple, and I must not substitute this by drinking red wine. Oh the misery I am subjecting myself to in becoming a better pilgrim tis the pride that I must watch. Methinks pride may be a much better sacrifice to make for Lent. Yes I will drink to that.:)
pilgrim b - thank you for sharing with us all that you are giving up your much beloved G&T's ... I feel your pain ... I really do! I'm not long home from my Spanish class and have taken the last sip of an Aussie Shiraz - the wondrous taste of which I will not know again until Easter Sunday. As I could not give up being cheeky on the Forum, alcohol is what I am giving up for Lent. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
pilgrim b - thank you for sharing with us all that you are giving up your much beloved G&T's ... I feel your pain ... I really do! I'm not long home from my Spanish class and have taken the last sip of an Aussie Shiraz - the wondrous taste of which I will not know again until Easter Sunday. As I could not give up being cheeky on the Forum, alcohol is what I am giving up for Lent. :)

Well JennieH94 it's over in our house however my wife says we can have pancakes anytime we want (but would they taste the same!).Here are some pics of my Pile my Rolls my last G&T and red wine! Oh dear I may have led you astray! How shall I take my mind off these my favourites, only one answer comes to mind, yes with the last pic you may have guessed. We shall go and drink in the Lakes District and climb off some of these pounds the pancakes have added, we shall be a little while think. ;):):)

Attachments

• DSC03269.JPG
    DSC03269.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC03270.JPG
    DSC03270.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC03271.The last one Sob!!!JPG.JPG
    DSC03271.The last one Sob!!!JPG.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC03267.PacPacked for the Lakes in Cumbria   JPG.JPG
    DSC03267.PacPacked for the Lakes in Cumbria JPG.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Pilgrim b, after a photo file has finished uploading you will then see two buttons - 'thumbnail' and 'full image' - click on full image and it will insert full size.

Buen Camino ;)
Hi David, do the thumbnails not open up to a decent size (they do on Mac) let me know if you can only see thumbnails please!:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well JennieH94 it's over in our house however my wife says we can have pancakes anytime we want (but would they taste the same!).Here are some pics of my Pile my Rolls my last G&T and red wine! Oh dear I may have led you astray! How shall I take my mind off these my favourites, only one answer comes to mind, yes with the last pic you may have guessed. We shall go and drink in the Lakes District and climb off some of these pounds the pancakes have added, we shall be a little while think. ;):):)
pilgrim b - your pancakes are magnificent! And the pancake pics are worthy of inclusion in any foodie magazine - beautifully shot!
Enjoy your camino with your precious 'peregrina b' in the Lake District ... the wonderfully fresh air will sustain you body and 'spirit' (alcohol reference here!) in the G&T free days ahead! :):)
Cheers! Jenny

€149,-
Sorry David they've gone! Jennie I like precious 'peregrina b' i think that ones going to stick!

Adiós por ahora amigos peregrino :)

Sorry David they've gone! Jennie I like precious 'peregrina b' i think that ones going to stick!

Adiós por ahora amigos peregrino :)

Cheers pilgrim b! The combo of 'pilgrim b and peregrina b' does have a lovely ring to it, doesn't it?! Now we need to start seeing some posts on the Forum from peregrina b !
Buenas noches chicas y chicos!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought it would be pilgrim b and pilgrim a ....

A-ha David! That is what I would have suggested too, BUT ... Once upon a time, on a f a r - a w a y thread on the Forum, pilgrim b shared the story of how he became pilgrim b and indeed, the story of why peregrina b cannot, sadly, be pilgrim a, is contained within that tale ... :);)

I thought it would be pilgrim b and pilgrim a ....
A ha David, 'Equality'
You don't need me to tell you about that: "No-one can serve two masters!" or the same source also says: "Do not be unequally yoked!" Why? Well as far i see it if you have a strong oxen and a weak one, they will plough in circles, not a lot of good 0n camino is it ? No I rather like, no love 'peregrina b' ;)

€149,-
No pb, they appear as thumbnails - you need to click the button.
I found that the thumbnails loaded OK but very slowly. The full size ones took ages and chew up our bandwidth so I had to block them :(
Wish I could have had pancakes but they are off the menu at present :(:(

Thanks for that information Valeria that's why I sent them as thumbnails first seems to depend on what you are using, and how far away you are from your exchange? The thumbnails loadup in seconds for me on Safari but I'm only a mile from the exchange so my BB pretty quick!:)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mac? Rainwear? ....... I am pc, wouldn't know about alien artifacts .... ;)
Personally I still prefer a poncho :)
Must download it sometime is it compatible with Mac that is Apple-mac ?
Assuming that you have some sort of photo editing programme it should have a resizing tool, which might be buried. Ours is found (on a pc) under 'Adjust', then 'resize' in the programme's toolbar. Another similar programme has 'Image', then 'size'. Both need the pixel number changing to approx 500/600 with 'keep ratio' ticked, then 'save as' ... It can knock a 2mg photo down to about 200 - 500k without losing too much detail depending on how you save it. I am sure that Mac's must have something similar in any photo programme. Happy hunting

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally I still prefer a poncho :)

Assuming that you have some sort of photo editing programme it should have a resizing tool, which might be buried. Ours is found (on a pc) under 'Adjust', then 'resize' in the programme's toolbar. Another similar programme has 'Image', then 'size'. Both need the pixel number changing to approx 500/600 with 'keep ratio' ticked, then 'save as' ... It can knock a 2mg photo down to about 200 - 500k without losing too much detail depending on how you save it. I am sure that Mac's must have something similar in any photo programme. Happy hunting
Mac? Rainwear? ....... I am pc, wouldn't know about alien artifacts .... ;)
Thanks to you both for your advice both on rain wear (I knew I was about to start something when I wrote Mac!) and also on re-sizing my images (yes I know I shouldn't care about my image if I live in the present moment, do centre down prayer or meditate.) think that covers it David, we are posting here about photographic re-sizing tools for my Macbook! With the 'helpful' information I have now received I shall proceed in search of a suitable tool!!!;);)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back