• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It is itching again (the Camino bug), but only a week time...

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Hello Camino friends!

I'll have time for a holiday of a week in August and of course I would like to spend it walking :)
First I thought of staying closer to home (Amsterdam), but I found some cheap flights to southern France and now I have put the Arles Way in my head...

And a lot of questions...

I am thinking of a piece of the Montpellier - Toulouse section (because I will fly into one of those cities). Any recommendations? Where can I obtain a credential? Any idea how easy (or difficult) it will be to find albergues on this route? Do I need to make reservations? I know that is kind of a French habit... How well is the waymarking (or, can I manage with a miam miam dodo guide)? Should I be afraid of loose dogs? (I still have some bad memories from the Invierno.)

Any advice is welcome!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can only comment on a few of your questions....Bear in mind I haven't walked your chosen path...
Loose dogs: in my experience, in France, the dogs are kept tied (often on a very small leash :() in courtyards or front gardens. They bark a lot, they are not happy (I don't think) but no dog ever threw himself at me threateningly in France.
The way marking I found very iffy (on the French part of the way francigena). I would think though that the Miam Miam Dodo guide would see you through...
Reservations: I tend to say yes. I always did - sometimes only a few hours ahead though, when camping was not appealing (torrential rain)... It is certainly necessary if you want half-board, they have to prepare ahead. Again, I think the MM Dodo guide will help you there with the details.

Now hopefully awaiting advice from someone who's actually done it! :D

Bon chemin.:)

I only did a few days starting in Montpellier. The waymarking was spotty. Accommodations no problem but it was April. Didn't meet any hounds.

You can get a passport at a hostel in the center of Montpellier. I don't have a guide handy, so I can't supply its name, but it's behind the Église St. Roch.

BTW I love both Montpellier and Toulouse. With just a week I'd forget about hiking and just visit those towns.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Luka have a look at the distances involved. I doubt you could do Montpellier to Toulouse in a week. Only a small bit of it. I'd start in Montpellier and just see how far I got. We always book a day ahead in France, but mainly so our hosts could organise to get in supplies as we usually had demi-pension, Many of the villages no longer have any shops or restaurants and demi-pension means that you get at least one good meal a day! And it is usually very good indeed.

Thanks all!

@domigee, yes, I always feel sorry for those farm dogs...
@billmclaughlin, I bet they are beautiful cities, but I live in one and prefer to spend my holidays outside :)
@Kanga, I know the distance is way too far. I would like to walk a piece somewhere in between those cities. Starting in Montpellier and just see how far I get is one of the options. As long as I can find public transport on the last day.

I forgot that demi-pension is a reason to make reservations as well. My 'problem' is that I am a vegetarian. Last year I walked the Le Puy route and (however very kind of my hosts) at some point I couldn't see any omelette anymore ;-) I would prefer to cook myself, but I know that is mostly not an option.

I just booked a flight to Montpellier!
I'll only have six days of walking, but that is more than I thought I would have (zero).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
luka the pilgrim hostel in Montpellier is located behind St Roch church. look for the green door. You've picked a good starting point and will be walking through beautiful hills and forests. Be sure to carry plenty of water and backup food as this section is mostly remote. The waymarking on this section is adequate but don't expect a blaze every fifty yards :)

@Vinnie thanks a lot for your information! I was indeed thinking of spending my first night at that pilgrim hostel. Do you think I'll need to make a reservation?

Thanks about the warning about the remoteness! I am used to carrying a lot of water and food when walking in France ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, compañero! Looking forward to my mini-camino, just six sleeps away...

I recently heard that a good friend of mine will join me! She is in Italy right now for holiday. We will meet each other in Montpellier Saturday night. Last time we walked together was somewhere between Reims and Vézelay, back in 2011.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back