• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It is with a heavy heart....

Lee Woodhouse

Time of past OR future Camino
September 6th 2016 I get to saint Jean, I plan on staying here 2 nights as I don't get there till late on the 6th so will set off on September 8th So if anyone is in Saint Jean at this time and wants a little wine... Give me a shout!!! ;)
I have to cancel my plans for this years camino, with mum and dad passing away 13 days apart and y wife leaving me. It is with a very heavy heart I have to cancel plans for my camino in September, the night mare I am going through with paper work. If anything was to happen to me in September I am leaving the rest of my family with a night mare even bigger than I'm going through, so need to sort things out first. Finger's crossed for next year... Love you all, and I do mean that you have all been so wonderful sharing stories and wishing me well and consoling me... I can't help it, you all are such an amazing community of people.. My new brother's and sisters, no longer am I an only child.... Thank you all xxx

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have to cancel my plans for this years camino, with mum and dad passing away 13 days apart and y wife leaving me. It is with a very heavy heart I have to cancel plans for my camino in September, the night mare I am going through with paper work. If anything was to happen to me in September I am leaving the rest of my family with a night mare even bigger than I'm going through, so need to sort things out first. Finger's crossed for next year... Love you all, and I do mean that you have all been so wonderful sharing stories and wishing me well and consoling me... I can't help it, you all are such an amazing community of people.. My new brother's and sisters, no longer am I an only child.... Thank you all xxx
@Lee Woodhouse:
I have been thinking about you today and the trials that you have gone through this year, including you in my prayers again. God bless you and keep you as you find your way forward through this difficult time.

You are in the hearts and prayers of so many of us on this forum, Lee. You're had a heavy load to bear and I hope these friendships help make it a little lighter. It's completely understandable that your responsibilities at home must be your priority right now. I pray that you find peace, and, when the time is right, fulfill your plans for the Camino. All the best to you.

Lee,

May the Lord bless you for what must have been a tough decision to make...I pray that you'll be able to find peace in the midst of everything. And while I won't be able to meet you in person on the Camino this September, please know that I'll be carrying your intentions along with my own.

Grace+Peace

-Jason

Everyone on this list KNOWS the calling of the Camino and how hard it must be for you to have to postpone. Your Camino awaits you, and by dealing with all this now, when you DO step foot on to the Camino, you will be able to be fully present and the experience richer for it. The time is not now. Prayers
Nanc

Ah. Lee...I'm very sorry to hear it!
Life sucks sometimes. And in the middle of everything it isn't much of a consolation to know you'll probably be stronger for it in the end. The heart has it's own schedule for healing.
So wishing you courage, strength of heart, and patience with all the ups and downs. The Camino will be there for you when you're ready, that much more precious because of the delay.

Hola Lee, you are facing a very, very, heavy burden and yes you are correct to put family ahead of self and the Camino. There is little I can say that is a real comfort, except that the Camino has been there for over a 1000 years and it will still be there, waiting for you in May/June - September/Oct next year if your world allows. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Lee -
Best wishes for your camino next year ... may everything settle down for you significantly next year after this terrible year.
Keep your camino plans alive by enjoying the Forum, going on training hikes when you can, and the Camino will be there for you when you are in a position to be able to start walking on those ancient and magical paths.
Take joy in every step -
Jenny

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Lee, buck up old chap - this is a truly difficult year for you .. all at once, as it were ... but you are alive, you are well ... the grief and loss will pass, the paperwork will pass .... don't close that Camino door quite yet! By September it may be Exactly the time to get away .. to get away from it all and just get the chance to BE - to process, to be kind to yourself .. September may just be that time.

Buen Camino Lee. xx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So sorry for your troubles. Don't give up just yet. September is still 8 weeks away so you may be sorted re paperwork by then. Wait and see how things are at that time and best wishes. Annette

Oh Lee! The oft repeated John Lennon (and Allen Saunders) line Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans rings so true throughout our lives. Much like many of our Camino experiences - never quite what we actually planned or expected...

...and a mountain of paperwork! yuck!! everyone's favourite pastime NOT!!

I'm with David and Annette here - you also need to take good care of yourself. Come September you might find yourself needing to get away - perhaps not the full Camino Francés that you'd planned but a shorter version for some well earned and needed respite. Otherwise as Viranani has noted:
The Camino will be there for you when you're ready, that much more precious because of the delay.

And regardless don't forget to post here on our Virtual Albergue and let us know how you're managing. Just like on the Camino, you do not walk alone.

So sorry to hear about your losses, Lee. One thing I learned on the Camino is that the experience of it begins long before arriving "in country" and actually never ends. I have only recently returned from my first Camino and I know that now is when the actual practice of putting the learning into place in my life begins. It sounds like you have walked the Camino before. Can you use the experience of being on the Way to support you through your current Camino experience, until you are able to get back? One foot in front of the other, brother. Trust. Faith. You are never alone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My sympathy for your loss and because you can not go on your Camino in 2016. I know it is a very hard time in your life. You may be in a better place when you actually go on your Camino.
Although I am not going through the loss of family, I too had to cancel my late August plans to go on my Camino in 2016. I can't tell you how disappointed I was and I still am. Sometimes there is nothing we can do when these things happen. What I am doing is just looking forward. I am looking forward to buying my air plane tickets and making my reservations ext. and getting excited all over again. I have many things to look forward to in 2017. I hope that there will be the same for you.
Buen Camino

What a hard road you are walking Lee. When you get to the camino it's going to feel easy! And on the days it's hard, you'll know you can make it. Praying peace for you as you step onwards.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you every one of you, yes this hasn't been my best year but I have remained strong throughout it and I know my family are all so proud of me how I have held up and marched on. Yes, it's best for me this year to start putting things in order so I can do my camino next year worry free and take the tme to reflect on everything from this year... And I have to say, thank you all, my friends, my brother's and sisters of the camino. You have given me so much happiness and reading some of your words also many tears with your kindness... I truly love you all... Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will, I promise.... No way are you all getting rid of me now....

Lee, the Camino presents itself in many different ways. Yours, right now, is where you are. Never doubt that this one is just as important and meaningful in the end.

I am so sorry for your loss, being an only child myself, it matters little that I was a mature adult when my parents died.... I became an orphan as you are now and that is a singular sorrow only those share without siblings. Gladly step up to be included in your new brothers and sisters circle.

The death of a marriage is another sorrow all together different, but unlike a physical death, we do have some say in that. Having it all bunched together in a short time, is overwhelming, painful and stressful.

My thoughts are with you and as so many of your "adopted" siblings have mentioned already, please take care of yourself, step by step, just like on the pilgrimage... step by step, each day things will work itself out.

As we all say, the Camino has been here for thousand of years and will be here again for you when the time is right. For now Light and Love Ingrid

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad time, it must be dreadful.
One day you will walk the Camino and it will be part of your healing process.
My thoughts and blessings are with you. Xx

Lee. I have just got back from a long time in Spain. What can one say? You have both my sympathy and my empathy. I lost my Dad and 18 months later my wife ended our life together. Having felt the emotions involved I can only try to imagine the difficulty of dealing with as much as you are in such a short time. I am fortunate that I still have my Mom though. These lovely virtual pals here and hopefully ones in your daily life. It is no doubt hard for you right now and it is easy to say it will get better. Let's pray that things get sorted soon and you are able to go on your Camino. But just a suggestion. Can you find time to just walk a little? Maybe the Ingles? It would possibly help quicken the healing process as it would give you time to step back and reflect on the best way forward? (It would probably result in a lighter pack when you go on the Frances, and save you finding a Correos!) :)
I wish you well in your decisions. Good luck, and as this is all part of your Camino once you have decided to go - Buen Camino mate.

Last edited:
Hi Lee
I'm a new member however I did walk the Camino nine years ago and intend to return next year and have had the benefit of that experience in my daily life recognising that anything is possible one step at a time. Reading your post the thought that struck me is that you Camino has not been postponed, rather it as started earlier than you were prepared for. May you find the strength one step at a time to deal with your struggles and in the appropriate time find your way back to the Camino that is more familiar. Buena Suerte

Oh boy. Lee, you have had to live through more trials this last year than many many people have. I hope you know that the forum is here for you--all these folks are, as you call us, your brothers and sisters of the Camino--are here for you. I am so sorry that in light of all you have recently gone through with the deaths of your parents, that your wife chose to give you bombshell number three. There is a saying that things happen in threes, so let's hope that this is it for you; that the bad stuff has ended.
Take care of yourself, my friend.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lee, whilst I wouldn't dream of comparing my situation to yours, I'm presently trying to come to terms with the sudden death of my mother just two months ago. Different phrases pop up in my reading & I just came across this one which resonated with me & I wanted to share:
Grief is not a place to stay; it's a doorway to pass through
Take care
Suzanne

Thank you friends, family.... All the messages mean so much to me, really, really they do so much.... I know I will get through this and I am being so strong at the moment. Yes I do have my moments but it's only to be expected and I know I will come out the other end of all this even stronger... And my camino, fingers crossed next year will be amazing!!! Love you all xxx

My prayers are with you Lee.

10 years ago I had the most difficult time in my life. I asked Saint James to help me with my prayers. I promised him that I will do the camino in return, and it was answered very quickly.

Yet with everything that was going on in my life, I only managed to do the camino 2 weeks ago. The camino is a calling, maybe not this year, but when it's time it would feel right.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back