• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It just became VERY real: I just bought my plane tickets!

tohams

I'll be arriving in Paris on the Lufthansa redeye on September 26. It'll take me a couple of days to get to SJPdP, but then it's off! I'm excited and still a little scared. BUT...it's now very, very real.

-Thomas

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Way to go Thomas! I remember that excited feeling after buying my ticket.

Now be disciplined about doing training walks, with and without your rucksack.

It sure is easy to put off the preparation. I've bought a Spanish language course on CD and after a good spurt of energy going through the first half, I'm having difficulty being disciplined enough spend 1/2 hour per day on the second half of the course.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

I know the feeling. I just bought my train ticket to get from the airport to Bayonne. I got so nervous I had my mother check everything before I bought it to make sure the dates and time were right. Now a sigh of relief.

Melinda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
skilsaw said:
I've bought a Spanish language course on CD and after a good spurt of energy going through the first half, I'm having difficulty being disciplined enough spend 1/2 hour per day on the second half of the course.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi David. When I was learning German and Spanish I downloaded my CD courses to my iPod and listened to them while walking. I got in a few hours of language AND walking practice daily. If you are doing long training walks it is well worth it. 2 for the price of one!!!

Thomas, Good luck on your journey!!

Welcome to the club, Thomas!

I bought my ticket 2 weeks ago. Going to Barcelona on Aug. 24th, and then off to Pamplona/Roncesvalles/SJPDP within a day or two, and then off walking for as long as it takes!

Will pack my rucksack and practice a few walks of 20 kms or so in varied terrain/hillroads to make sure I am capable. Also studying some Spanish an hour/day.

The good thing about ardering a (non-refundable, in my case) ticket, is that you are crossing that procastination stage :wink:

I remember my first camino. Last year in august. When I bought ticket to Bordeaux airpot, i was like with fever and whole my body was shaking :) This year i´m going to camino again in one month!! So I can understand. Walk from Burgos hopefully to Santiago. Finally!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
alexwalker said:
Will pack my rucksack and practice a few walks of 20 kms or so in varied terrain/hillroads to make sure I am capable. Also studying some Spanish an hour/day.
I've done a few 12 mile hikes and a couple of 15 mile hikes on weekends while walking 5-8 miles/day during the week (all I have time for). The long hikes haven't been the problem. It's the next day where my legs are really tired. Looking at the route I'm taking (http://elcaminodethomas.blogspot.com/2009/06/revised-stages.html), it looks like I'll have to average 15 miles every day! I'm honestly a little concerned about my ability to do that.

Don't forget you have all day to walk. Take your time and take rest stops frequently and you'll be surprised how your endurance increases. And even if you start out with wobbly legs the next morning, you'll soon get into the rhythym and the wobbles will disappear! Good luck and enjoy.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
alipilgrim said:
Don't forget you have all day to walk.
That's a very good point. When I do my training walks, I do them relatively quickly and only stopping to refill a water bottle. But I'm doing that on purpose, to build strength and stamina for the real thing. I figured that when training for a marathon, you do spring drills, even though you never actually sprint a marathon. So by the same token, I'm doing my training walks at a quicker pace and once a week with a jog. I guess once I get out there, I won't have much choice except to keep pushing ahead.

The good news with my long walks: No blisters (knock on wood).

:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: See you on the Camino

LonghornPilgrim said:
I plan on walking from SJP on September 29 so I might see you there or somewhere on the way.

I think I need to give you my next-of-kin info in case you find my half bear-eaten body or something on the way then. :)

Hope to see you on The Way. Even if you don't see me, I'll leave you little notes on sign posts about which albergues have bed bugs and other useful tid bits. :)

-Thomas

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hola!! In need of some ideas. I'm needing to fill in some time and was wondering, what city/town/village/small village would you spend an extra day/night in and why? Or, someplace special to stay...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.